Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-06-2024, 10:26 AM   #1
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Lebron opting out?

If Lebron opts out, what do you think of him joining the Mavs. But few conditions:

Mavs draft Bronny
Lebron understands his role as not the primary. I know Kyrie said there is no heirarchy but there always is.

I think Lebron would get a ring for sure.

If you were the GM, would you do it? Very tempting.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:54 PM   #2
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

No.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 01:56 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

For the vet min obviously. We know he isn't playing for that...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 02:44 PM   #4
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Hell yes - I don?t like Lebron that much but in a reduced non alpha role here absolutely. The issue would be if his ego would allow that but if he?s really wanting to play with his son and we draft bronny then offer him a low end contract. Bronny would get garbage minutes only - I don?t think he?s ever going to be anything?
Scoobay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:12 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bite for the minimum. Hell, I'd bite for a minimum deal and drafting Bronny.

Our only pick is Boston's second rounders so that's the very last pick in the entire draft. Not much value in a bad draft at 60.

LeBron would honestly be perfect here. He can play backup guard like Exum/Green and he can play 3/4 as well backing up PJail.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-06-2024 at 03:16 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 03:58 PM   #6
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'd bite for the minimum. Hell, I'd bite for a minimum deal and drafting Bronny.

Our only pick is Boston's second rounders so that's the very last pick in the entire draft. Not much value in a bad draft at 60.

LeBron would honestly be perfect here. He can play backup guard like Exum/Green and he can play 3/4 as well backing up PJail.
Yes i wouldn't want him running point, not with one of Luka or Kyrie hopefully on the floor at all times. But play him at the 3 or 4 and he's a big body who's still more athletic than 80% of the league.

he'd be perfect playing garbage minutes with bronny too - less chance someone else gets hurt. I mean i love AJ Lawson but at the cost of taking on bronny we can say goodbye to him and Greg Brown or Brandon Williams and have LBJ instead.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:20 PM   #7
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

I don't see Lebron signing up for a reduced role anywhere in the league. He'll continue to pursue a scenario to where he can continue to put up big numbers for himself, but ultimately holding a team back from being elite. I just don't think his pride would allow him to have a backseat role on a title team as that would negatively impact his self perceived GOAT status.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:39 PM   #8
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I would absolutely jump for joy if Lebron decided to end his career with the Mavs. First of all, I think it would be a perfect fit on pretty much every level, and I think we would become instant title contenders. Maybe even favorites. Beyond that, it would be a dream come true for me personally. He's be a fair margin my all-time favorite non-Maverick player. I fucking love Lebron, and I don't care who doesn't like it. Lebron rules. Fight me.

I also totally disagree with the comments about his ago being too big to accept a non-alpha dog role. I think it's the exact opposite. I think Lebron has wanted for YEARS to be able to play a lesser role. If you think carrying the load he does year after year after year at his age is easy and isn't extremely taxing on him mentally and physically, I think you're severely mistaken. I think Lebron would LOVE to be the third option on a team that wins the title.

That being said, it's not happening. While I don't think is ego would stop him from taking a lesser role, I do think it will stop him from playing for a massive discount. He's not signing anywhere for the MLE, much less the minimum. I don't think he believes in that type of thing. I think he believes that stars should get paid like stars and shouldn't have take discounts so teams can afford to overpay players with far less talent than the star in question. (FWIW I tend to agree with him.)

I honestly think he just stays with the Lakers and ends his career there. I could be totally wrong about that, but it's what makes the most sense for him from a business and a career-beyond-basketball standpoint. I don't see him going to yet another team to ring-chase on last year, and certainly not at a discount. And, I think he probably thinks that he can probably make one more run with the Lakers, because the Lakers being the Lakers always have a shot at landing a big, splashy name. The name that has been getting tossed around a lot is Trae Young. While I don't think someone like Trae Young is going to make the Lakers title contenders again, I think Lebron probably does believe that.

If Cleveland or Miami were on the cusp of being championship teams, and he was the missing piece, I could see him returning to either of those places for one last run. But I don't see him going to yet another franchise for the very end of his career. I don't see him him here or in Philly or anywhere else. I could end up eating these words, but I fully expect to see him retire in purple and gold.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:41 PM   #9
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by washedklean77 View Post
I don't see Lebron signing up for a reduced role anywhere in the league. He'll continue to pursue a scenario to where he can continue to put up big numbers for himself, but ultimately holding a team back from being elite. I just don't think his pride would allow him to have a backseat role on a title team as that would negatively impact his self perceived GOAT status.
Bingo. The self proclaimed king isn?t taking a seat for anyone.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2024, 07:53 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Bingo. The self proclaimed king isn?t taking a seat for anyone.
Again, I wholeheartedly disagree. I think he has wanted to take that backseat for years. Going all the way back to Cleveland even. I think he hoped that as he aged, Kyrie would take the reigns. But it turned out that it was Kyrie who (at that time) wasn't happy taking the backseat. And I think he has wanted AD to be the alpha dog this whole time, but AD just isn't "that guy."

My read on Lebron is that he has always, always been more Magic than Michael. I think our beloved 2011 championship is direct result of that- the fact he wanted Wade to be the primary scorer while he would be the facilitator. But as it turned out, that team needed him to be the #1 scoring option as well.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-06-2024 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 09:54 PM   #11
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default It would be interesting if the Mavs even looked into it

I think the main selling point is to draft Bronny. Its not ego or money or fame maybe but the fact he could play NBA basketball with son. That?s really the only worm the Mavs could dangle. Imagine a Lebron that doesn?t have carry the load? He just comes in a does his stuff. That would be brutal for any opponent. Who would be able to stop Luka, Kai and Lebron?
Old 05-06-2024, 10:00 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
I think the main selling point is to draft Bronny. Its not ego or money or fame maybe but the fact he could play NBA basketball with son. That?s really the only worm the Mavs could dangle. Imagine a Lebron that doesn?t have carry the load? He just comes in a does his stuff. That would be brutal for any opponent. Who would be able to stop Luka, Kai and Lebron?
I mean, that's why you'd be crazy not to do it, if you have the chance.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:59 AM   #13
washedklean77

washedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to allwashedklean77 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I mean, that's why you'd be crazy not to do it, if you have the chance.
The most refreshing part about the Mavs at this time is that everyone in the organization is about one thing and one thing only and that's the state of team and winning. You potentially (if not likely) lose this culture when you bring in Lebron as the focus shifts to him. I don't think too many fans and players desire that for this team.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:33 AM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
The most refreshing part about the Mavs at this time is that everyone in the organization is about one thing and one thing only and that's the state of team and winning. You potentially (if not likely) lose this culture when you bring in Lebron as the focus shifts to him. I don't think too many fans and players desire that for this team.
I could not possibly disagree more.
A: LeBron is one of the greatest winners of all time, so nothing about his history suggest that he would disrupt a winning culture. There?s literally no evidence throughout his entire career that he would refuse to be the second or third option on a team. That has never been his problem. B: LeBron absolutely loves both Luka and Kyrie. He compliments a lot of players, but he has been far more effusive in his praise of Luka since the moment Luka came into the NBA than any other player. The love is totally mutual, of course, because LeBron was Luka?s idol growing up. These three guys would be beyond thrilled to play together. C: If you have a chance to bring in a top 15 player (which LeBron still is, don?t kid yourself), especially at a low cost, which is what this hypothetical is all about ? you fucking do it. It is absolute malpractice not too. Culture smulture. Don?t forget, bringing in Kyrie was supposed to destroy our culture, and look where we are now.

Again, it?s a moot point because I do not see him signing anywhere at a severe discount. But this idea that LeBron is some selfish, disruptive player that could never accept being anything other than the first option? There?s simply no evidence for that whatsoever. Kobe was like that, but not LeBron. If anything, he has at times been TOO unselfish- namely 2011.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:37 AM   #15
washedklean77

Quote:
If anything, he has at times been TOO unselfish- namely 2011.
He was not "unselfish" in 2011. He was incredibly overwhelmed and simply not ready for that big moment and his performance reflected that.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:55 AM   #16
Scoobay
Golden Member

Quote:
I could not possibly disagree more.
A: LeBron is one of the greatest winners of all time, so nothing about his history suggest that he would disrupt a winning culture. There?s literally no evidence throughout his entire career that he would refuse to be the second or third option on a team. That has never been his problem. B: LeBron absolutely loves both Luka and Kyrie. He compliments a lot of players, but he has been far more effusive in his praise of Luka since the moment Luka came into the NBA than any other player. The love is totally mutual, of course, because LeBron was Luka?s idol growing up. These three guys would be beyond thrilled to play together. C: If you have a chance to bring in a top 15 player (which LeBron still is, don?t kid yourself), especially at a low cost, which is what this hypothetical is all about ? you fucking do it. It is absolute malpractice not too. Culture smulture. Don?t forget, bringing in Kyrie was supposed to destroy our culture, and look where we are now.

Again, it?s a moot point because I do not see him signing anywhere at a severe discount. But this idea that LeBron is some selfish, disruptive player that could never accept being anything other than the first option? There?s simply no evidence for that whatsoever. Kobe was like that, but not LeBron. If anything, he has at times been TOO unselfish- namely 2011.
I'm not sure how severe a discount he'd be willing to play for... certainly he's not coming for minimum. But if we get Bronny couldn't we move some dudes around and bring in LBJ? (THJ or even Green?) I think he'd be willing to take some discount to play with his son. Would some team pick Bronny just to have leverage? We don't pick until the end of 2nd and hell i'd take a swing for Lebron at the cost of that pick.

I'd play Lebron at the 4 next to Lively. Gimme PJ too, to go with Luka and Kyrie.
Maybe he doesn't play in every end of game situation. Maybe he doesn't start. How awesome would it be to always have two of Luka, Kyrie, LBJ out there?
Old 05-07-2024, 10:56 AM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
He was not "unselfish" in 2011. He was incredibly overwhelmed and simply not ready for that big moment and his performance reflected that.
I think he absolutely was too unselfish in 2011. I don't think the "big moment" was the problem. He didn't take nearly enough shots, because he was expecting Wade to be the primary scorer. Even if he was "overwhelmed and simply not ready," those things are not mutually exclusive. Both things can be true. He took eleven shots in all of game 4 (a game I was at by the way.) Overwhelmed or not, that is by definition too unselfish.

Either way, again, there's no evidence anywhere in his career to suggest that he would refuse to be a 2nd or 3rd option on a team. Indeed, I think he has wanted exactly that for years. I think he would be overjoyed to not have to be the first option for once.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 05-07-2024 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:58 AM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
I'm not sure how severe a discount he'd be willing to play for... certainly he's not coming for minimum. But if we get Bronny couldn't we move some dudes around and bring in LBJ? (THJ or even Green?) I think he'd be willing to take some discount to play with his son. Would some team pick Bronny just to have leverage? We don't pick until the end of 2nd and hell i'd take a swing for Lebron at the cost of that pick.

I'd play Lebron at the 4 next to Lively. Gimme PJ too, to go with Luka and Kyrie.
Maybe he doesn't play in every end of game situation. Maybe he doesn't start. How awesome would it be to always have two of Luka, Kyrie, LBJ out there?
Like I said, if you can do it, you do it. If we can make it work salary-wise while keeping the team intact, then hell yeah, draft Bronny and whoever else. Draft the Easter Bunny for all I care.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:09 PM   #19
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
If Lebron opts out, what do you think of him joining the Mavs. But few conditions:

Mavs draft Bronny
Lebron understands his role as not the primary. I know Kyrie said there is no heirarchy but there always is.

I think Lebron would get a ring for sure.

If you were the GM, would you do it? Very tempting.
I think that the question is very improperly put. It is not and it will not be a matter of Lebron opting out AND THEN joining some other team (including the Mavs). Those things are part of the same package and of the same negotiation and calculation, including the thing with his son.

Mavs are definitely an interested party (to the Lakers) in regard to Lebron and his future. And that is because the Mavs have Luka and Kyrie. What other huge star could Lakers possibly court to ensure some sort of 4-6 years of solid ring chasing. There is Luka and then there is who else?

Greek freak? (I don't think so). (No longer).
Jayson Tatum? (I don't think so). (He's not that caliber. Not even close. Plus Boston is probably never gonna let him go to f. Lakers).
Who else?
SGA? (I don't think so).
Jokic? (I don't think so).

Who else could possibly dramatically change Lakers' fortunes for the better? I don't see any other one name that can definitely do that apart from Luka Doncic.

And there was news about Kidd being linked with the Lakers. What Lakers are doing is FISHING FOR POSSIBILITIES TO LURE LUKA INTO LA. Personally, I don't think Luka should go there while Lebron is still there and that is because of the rotten set up and culture surrounding Lebron that they have there. It would be a wasted year. I don't think Luka should associate himself with Lebron like that.

Lakers would probably love to somehow trick Lebron into leaving all the while luring Luka into LA. For them that would be some sort of a GOLDEN DREAM SCENARIO. And they would GLAAADLY use Bronny in that regard. Everyone knows Bronny is a nobody player, who happens to be tied to Lebron due to family relations. That has a potential to turn into some major shit show of rather incredible proportions.

Not sure what Lebron can do. He can't give up on his son with all the things he's said about him. And he doesn't want to end his career somewhere miserably.

I see only Mark Cuban as a true big winner in all of this. Mark Cuban has a way of extracting GREAT VALUE out of shit like this. I think that's a big reason why he loves basketball so much.

ps Mark Cuban WOULD explore the possibility of getting Lebron CHEAPLY while recruiting Bronny too. BUT THAT WOULD BRING LEBRON FAMILY NONSENSE STRAIGHT INTO DALLAS. That would create A SHIT SHOW OF AN ATMOSPHERE. It would ruin the whole set-up that Dallas has. Just going through press conferences would be UNBEARABLE.

pps Lakers are seeking to offload Lebron ANYHOW THEY CAN. What they have over there is SOOOO ROTTEN. And it is not nice to act like that towards one of the NBA's greats.

ppps Lebron is a princess. And he would come to Dallas with his whole castle, and cross-continental geopolitical issues and relations involving a major princess.

pppps Lebron is not a player. He is a contingent.

ppppps Lebron is not a franchise. He is the league.

pppppps Bronny is not a prospect. He is a __________.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 05-07-2024 at 12:32 PM.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote