Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

On the Treanor deal, I think this is as simple as a team that has enough questions about it's arms that it can't afford a personal catcher taking up a spot, when Torrealba and Napoli started 148 games at catcher between them last year.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
On the Treanor deal, I think this is as simple as a team that has enough questions about it's arms that it can't afford a personal catcher taking up a spot, when Torrealba and Napoli started 148 games at catcher between them last year.
He wasn't going to be a personal catcher. Napoli just wasn't going to catch much, because he's terrible at it.

I don't think this lasts the whole year.

And carrying an 8 man bullpen is dumb.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Napoli just wasn't going to catch much, because he's terrible at it.
What's your basis for this? I know admittedly little about his catching abilities - all I know is Darren Oliver had good things to say about him as a catcher from his days w/ the Angels. I assume he will at least be adequate, given what the Rangers have had behind the plate in recent years at backup C, unless I see/hear otherwise. I didn't watch any Angels games last year, though.

If it's determined that Napoli is serviceable as a backup catcher, then Treanor has nothing really keeping him on the roster. Treanor wasn't going to give you anything at the plate or anything in terms of a throwing threat.. his primary value besides a smidge of vet leadership (which alone isn't worth a roster spot), was being CJ's favorite. And you get more plate apps for both Napoli and Young if Napoli jumps in as backup instead of Treanor.

I could be wrong, especially if Napoli is untenable as a backup catcher.. but I don't believe anybody said that was why LAA was losing games last year.

Last edited by Rhylan; 03-28-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
because he's terrible at it.

I'm just curious how you know this? Who can watch Angels games when the Rangers play everyday and you work 40 hours a week? Other than guys who make the highlights consistently, it's got to be hard to accurately gauge talent you can't see on a daily basis. Not trying to make an argument for Napoli, or de-validate yours, I'm being completely genuine here. Because, I've only seen him play a handful of games in the last few years and I can't recall one way or the other. That may be a bad sign that nothing was memorable...not sure.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote