Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Josh

Josh is on a distinguished road
Default Mavs rejected Bibby for Harris/Cro

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...d.trade/1.html

Quote:
"Sacramento has been aggressive in pursuing a new home for Bibby, who has suffered while trying to complement Ron Artest. The Kings offered him to Dallas for young point guard Devin Harris and Croshere's expiring money, according to NBA sources, but the Mavericks weren't going to risk the league's finest chemistry just two months before the playoffs."
Is Harris really this valuable?

Last edited by Josh; 02-21-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
I think I read that they were offering bibby. I haven't seem much from bibby all year. Artest is a nut as well and I wouldn't be interested.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Josh

Josh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I think I read that they were offering bibby. I haven't seem much from bibby all year. Artest is a nut as well and I wouldn't be interested.
Looks like you're right it was for Bibby, it sounded like Artest from the way I read it.
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

It does say Artest and then it says Bibby inside the thread, weird.... anyway good call. Although I still think Artest wouldn't be a problem here. He hates playing for losers and thats when he opens his mouth. We don't have that problem. But you just don't mess with success...
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

um, if Dallas did that trade, they'd run unopposed to the title. Especially lately, they've been winning without get anything from either Cro or Harris. Imagine this lineup up vs. the Spurs/Suns: Terry/Howard/Artest/Dirk/Dampier. The spurs almost lost to Artest and Wells last year bc they were way too physical for any of their backcourt players, including Bowen. They'd have no chance of guarding terry, artest, howard, and dirk at the same time. And i don't think i need to say how bad of a combination that would be for pheonix to defend, bc they have a hard enough time guard our players now. But defensively for Dallas, they can more afford to not play Damp in a series vs the suns.

But yeah, i wouldn't do that trade for Bibby. i haven't caught up with sac at all this year, but i remember him starting the season shooting under .400 from the field.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Bibby is a has been. I would never do that trade. He is way too much of a defensive liability anyway.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I read the report and was SHOCKED that Bibby is only 28. It seems like he's been in the league forever.
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

You don't trade away the best defensive PG to the worst...
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Just say no to Artest, he destroys teams. This team is rolling, Donnie said that he will not mess with the top 10 of the mavs.

The Mavs could use a PJ Brown type, but it is highly unlikely.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Is Harris really this valuable?
yes.

...setting aside pre-conceived notions of what a 5th overall pick should be doing and thinking of what devin actually brings to the table........

if you put any stock in plus/minus stats, he's in the same league as howard and terry. i ain't saying +/- is the end-all, be-all, but it's quantitative evidence that he's a reasonably effective player...

...a 23 year-old reasonable effective player with blazing speed...

if (when) the outside shot really starts falling, he'll be in the same league as parker (hopefully) and deron williams (probably)....a good young point guard that plays defense (unlike bibby) is a nice thing to have.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #12
Kasey1

Kasey1 is on a distinguished road

I would never have done this trade, chemistry before the playoffs or not. Bibby isn't that old, but we know the most that he can be. Harris is still under utilized, and by next year should be the starting PG regularly. I still like starting Harris and Terry as the top lineup. Harris may be the best PG in the league one day. I wouldn't trade what we know him to be, plus what he can be, for Bibby.
Kasey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #13
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
if (when) the outside shot really starts falling, he'll be in the same league as parker (hopefully)...
I hope that happens soon because right now he just looks like a younger version of Eric Snow. He could end up a poor man's Gary Payton if he just developed some range on his shot.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #14
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

If we could have the mav killer bibby of late...I would do this in a heart beat.. but I think that time has passed...we actually play defense now...he had free rein against Nash back in the day...
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey1
Harris may be the best PG in the league one day.
I think this is a huge exaggeration. He's very talented, and has tons of potential to be very very good, All-Star caliber even. But I highly doubt he'll ever be considered the best all around PG in the league.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Well, he might be, the day we move him to the development league ... *grins*

He´s still an underachiever for the position where we drafted him at this point in his carreer, but he´s valuable to the team and is a good fit. We´re not in a position where we have to wait for him to peak to play for the championship, we can play for it with him as he is, so there´s no need to move him at this point for a 28 year old who would offer a bit more consistency and maturity but not much more. Bibby to Harris is not a quantum leap that would put us over the top (as we are already the top). The piece to move - if a move was necessary - was either Terry or Damp, as both (Terry because of Matchups, Damp because he´s oh so often not there) are liabilities on their positions compared to what could be, so a quantum leap there (consistent center on a cheaper contract, athletic SF/SG with D-Abilities and Scoring) would be worth a thought.

Since Bibby doesnt fit that requirement, that was really an easy decision. Doesnt happen alot recently, but I fully backup that GM decision.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:34 AM   #17
scorched03

scorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the roughscorched03 is a jewel in the rough

considering how one of devin's first games was against bibby and made him look bad because of a great job defensively..... thanks goodness it was not a trade that went through.
scorched03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
DavidSternRiggedTheFinals
Banned

DavidSternRiggedTheFinals is infamous around these parts

i would never do this deal. bibby sucks now and harris is in the top 3 in the league in quickness to the basket along with Leandro Barbosa and Tony Parker.

Harris has to much upside. Plus Avery believes hes the best defensive point guard in the league.
DavidSternRiggedTheFinals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #19
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
yes.

...setting aside pre-conceived notions of what a 5th overall pick should be doing and thinking of what devin actually brings to the table........

if you put any stock in plus/minus stats, he's in the same league as howard and terry. i ain't saying +/- is the end-all, be-all, but it's quantitative evidence that he's a reasonably effective player...

...a 23 year-old reasonable effective player with blazing speed...

if (when) the outside shot really starts falling, he'll be in the same league as parker (hopefully) and deron williams (probably)....a good young point guard that plays defense (unlike bibby) is a nice thing to have.
Forget Howard and Terry, he's in the same league as Dirk +/- wise. The only players in the league with a higher +/- are Arenas, Nash and Dirk...that's it.

And as somebody has already mentioned i this thread, Bibby is one of the worst defensive PG's while Devin is the best. No way you make that trade and pay him $28MM over the next two years.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #20
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

this is a tough call..

i may have done this deal..bibby is on a miserable team out in sacramento right now. Put him in teh starting lineup with Terry (arizona backcourt) with Dirk upfront and Bibby's shooting % would skyrocket.

He would be a problem on the defensive end though.

Harris hasn't done a whole lot..he's at the same level as last year. Croshere isn't getting any PT in dallas, so he doesn't even matter.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #21
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

He did always give Nash fits for some reason though... might have been helpful for our supposed showdown with the Suns in the WCF.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 AM   #22
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I'd like to see Harris become the point guard version of Bruce Bowen; except without all the ninja kicking and what have you. I think that's a reasonable expectation for him.

I'm very glad we didn't do this trade

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #23
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

dont do it!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote