Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all
Default Where is Jay Williams?

And is he pysically ready to play Basketball again?
Has someone any information?
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading a couple of weeks back that Jay Williams held some low key workouts with a couple of teams in late January or early February, but for unspecified reasons nothing came of them. If I remember correctly, Golden State, Minnesota, and Miami were all mentioned as teams that were interested in him, so I wouldn't be surprised if any one of those teams might take another look at him this Summer (and I hope that if he wasn't physically 100% or looked really rusty in any of his rumored workouts, another few months of hard work might be able to place him in better stead next time)...

Additionally, I think it is absolutely imperative that the braintrust re-sign JET this Summer, but if disaster strikes, and some other team offers Terry a much bigger deal than Cuban is willing to swallow (this might well happen if Terry goes as crazy in the playoffs as I think he might), then if the Artist Formerly Known as Jason has regained even 70-80% of his old Dukie form, then he might serve as a perfect band-aid for our Mavs. Back when the guy was tearing things up for Duke, he was always a shoot-first point guard whose quick release, potent jumper, and uncanny ability to cut into the lane made him a horrible hand-full for other teams to guard, and in that sense, I would think that if he was healthy, he might be able to fill a similar role on our Mavs to the one Terry currently plays...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 02-25-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Jay Williams was a hell of a player

but that is a huge gamble to replace your starting point guard from a contending team with someone who is coming off a career ending injury

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
Jay Williams was a hell of a player

but that is a huge gamble to replace your starting point guard from a contending team with someone who is coming off a career ending injury
That's why I think it could be a potential fix only in an absolute emergency situation (like the Bobcats offering Jet a 5 year $11 per deal that the Braintrust won't match), although obviously Sam Cassell, Bobby Jackson, and Speedy Claxton would also be guys that we would look at very hard if we were placed in that situation.

As a matter of fact, if Jet did leave, picking up Sam as our #2 PG for two years, and then either drafting a young point guard, or attempting something ambitious like signing Jay Williams would be quite exactly what I would expect us to do...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 02-25-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM   #5
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

yeah Jay as our #3 point guard for depth and emergencies is fine in my book. who knows? he might come back as a very solid player and eventually become our #2 behind devin. But Sam has been quite open and adament about not wanting to come off the bench, blah blah blah.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote