Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #1
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough
Default question for the board

Do you guys think last years team underachevied or not?

I think they did, they were a better team then the suns but maybe had a bad role of the dice and some dumb mistakes. But talent wise I thought they should have played better.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #2
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road
Default RE: question for the board

I agree. I also am not overly distraught that Finley is no longer on the team. I think the Mavs will be fine this year and if everyone plays up to their potential (and we get some luck) we have a legitimate shot at the title.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

There is no doubt in my mind we didnt play up to the level of talent we had. I mostly saw it as an issue of how the talent was used, redundant talents, and injured players.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
DalMavs

DalMavs is on a distinguished road
Default RE:question for the board

I don't think last year's team underachieved. There wasn't much of a system in place to maximize everybody's output on court. It was amazing, with people performing on raw talent, that the Mavericks did that well.

Avery Johnson's job this year is to build up a workable system, so there will actually be a TEAM.
DalMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:46 PM   #5
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

I don't think underacheived is the right word. They came into the playoffs with a nearly new coaching philosophy and outplayed the rockets. Thier inexperience showed during the PHX series, as well as our glaring need for help at the center.

We simply were not the better team.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
Joey

Joey will become famous soon enoughJoey will become famous soon enough

It is definatly hard to say a team with 58 wins underacheived.
There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that his ship has sailed and that only a fool would continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool. ~Big Fish
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:37 PM   #7
imran2315

imran2315 is on a distinguished road

if Marquis Daniels does what everyone knows he can do he will fill the void of finley and he will give us something finley didnt and that is someone who can help the team even when there shot is not on. Marquis can attack the basket and be a good point guard. Jason Terry will be more comfortable in Avery' System and i think Devin Harris will prove his high draft pick status and Josh Howard is the next Scottie Pippen he is going to be a hell of a player if he works on his jump shot a bit. And Dirk Nowitzki is going to be fired up this season he still has a lot to prove and he has to prove that ;ast year was not a fluke. I think we will be fine this year i dotn know if we will win the title but if everything goes good no serious injuries and damp lays like he did b4 he got hurt in Pheonix during the season we will be a team to reckon with.
imran2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like you are asking 2 questions, 1) did they underachieve in the regular season and 2) did they underachieve in the post-season. Of course they could have always done better. The year the Bulls won 72 games, they could have done better. But I think it's grossly unfair to expect a team to play perfect or be labeled underachievers. By that definition every team was an underachiever. Considering the turnover, injuries and midseason coahing change I think the Mavs did very well in the regular season. For a team to go through all that and still come out with 58 wins is an achievement to be proud of, and if anything I think they overachieved. Now in the post season everything appeared to catch up with them. The Mavs played very discombobulated most of the time. Still I think the guys put forth some gutsy efforts to end up about where expected. Beating the lower seeded Rockets and falling to the higher seeded Suns. And there were certainly players who played below expectations, but as a team I'd say that they did OK, not great and not bad.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Hell no. I actually think we overachieved. With all the injuries, coaching decisions and player acquisitions i'm still shocked that we won 58 games last season. Its rare for a team to have such a turnover and come back the next season and win 58 games.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #10
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

At the beginning of the season, I personally thought we were going to win 55 games. I didn't even take into consideration the injuries, or the coaching change, so in that sense, we overachieved.

However, at the end of the season, I honestly truly thought we'd beat Phoenix and lose to San Antonio in 6. So in that sense, we underachieved.

I guess they kind of cancel eachother out, so I'd say our season was around par.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought we overachieved, big time. I thought dirk played out of his mind and then around the 4th of the season I thought he sort of wore down.

If dirk can punish the McGrady's of the world the mavs will be really tough to beat. If he cannnot, it's second round exit at best.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394I thought dirk played out of his mind and then around the 4th of the season I thought he sort of wore down.
I could be wrong, but I didn't think Dirk was worn out at all. If you remember, during the last part of the season, AJ drastically cut Dirk minutes to prevent just that from happening, so he'd be fresh in the playoffs. I thought the dropoff in Dirk's numbers at the end of the season was simply due to fewer minutes.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:39 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

He got his gas back for the playoffs but until he had his minutes cut he was gassed out and heading for a wall. AJ came along at the right time if for nothing else to get the team re-interested, which they didn't seem to be under nellie at the time.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

No we had so many new players. As big bill would say you are what you are. The mavs are and were a team in transistion. The playoffs prove that you ride your superstars and role players have to come up big.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote