Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 04:30 PM   #1
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Option 2:

THJ, Green, #26
for
Bamba, Ross, #35

Honestly think Bamba provides everything Ayton would (other than playoff experience) for cheaper. I also don't think the Suns are in the mood to trade Ayton to us.
I’d pull the trigger on that deal. I like Bamba and think he would fit well here. Ross has 1 more year on his deal, and we still have a draft pick for Nico to use. I know Green is still young, but I think Frank can fill his role just fine if not better.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:35 PM   #2
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I’d pull the trigger on that deal. I like Bamba and think he would fit well here. Ross has 1 more year on his deal, and we still have a draft pick for Nico to use. I know Green is still young, but I think Frank can fill his role just fine if not better.
We need to quit with the Josh Green is young narrative. Go to Hoop Hype and they have a listing of 40 players all rated much higher than Josh that were born the year before Josh 1999 to 2022 (2 calendar years after Josh who was born in 2020). That is at least 40 players that are contemporaries of Josh. He is not a unicorn in terms of age for gods sake.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-global-rating-age/

As a reminder Luka, Saddiq, Jordan Poole, Ja et al were born the year before Josh. His is not a teenager.

Bottom line: The thought that Josh hasn't developed or played much because he is young is mixing up correlation with causation. He doesn't play because he is not good. It is not the other way around.

Last edited by Zeus; 06-01-2022 at 12:02 AM.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:09 AM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
We need to quit with the Josh Green is young narrative. Go to Hoop Hype and they have a listing of 40 players all rated much higher than Josh that were born the year before Josh 1999 to 2022 (2 calendar years after Josh who was born in 2020). That is at least 40 players that are contemporaries of Josh. He is not a unicorn in terms of age for gods sake.

As a reminder Luka, Saddiq, Jordan Poole, Ja et al were born the year before Josh. His is not a teenager.

Bottom line: The thought that Josh hasn't developed or played much because he is young is mixing up correlation with causation. He doesn't play because he is not good. It is not the other way around.
Bingo. Some people still cling onto Green because of how bad that draft was for us, so I can't really blame them. He and Powell suffer from plays well against bad teams syndrome. And then we all get a glimmer of hope only to be let down when it really matters.

I mean, I'd keep Green over Powell, but it makes more sense to move him for someone more polished if possible.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #4
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus View Post

That’s great and all, but Josh is 21 years old. He’s still young. I won’t argue that he’s not good.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:20 PM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Lauren Gunn on twitter threw out THJ for Holmes and Holiday. That makes a lot of sense, but I'm always wondering what they think of THJ.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:08 PM   #6
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

No teams give a F about THJ. Whatever you think he is worth to other teams, lower that...by a lot.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:01 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
No teams give a F about THJ. Whatever you think he is worth to other teams, lower that...by a lot.
Unless it's the Magic who have a proven track record of being ass

They need scoring. 29th in scoring and THJ is instant offense.

Not saying it's smart, but I don't think Bamba/Ross for THJ/Green while upgrading their high second to a low first is out of the range of possibility.

They get scoring, a prospect, and upgrade their pick by 9 spots for an inefficient guy and a guy who is going to hit free agency.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:19 AM   #8
scrambol

scrambol will become famous soon enoughscrambol will become famous soon enough

Jakob Poeltl is a rebounder and rim protector who can score a little. What does Dallas give to get him?
scrambol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:13 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambol View Post
Jakob Poeltl is a rebounder and rim protector who can score a little. What does Dallas give to get him?
He?ll be an UFA next season. Spurs love him and he?s part of their resurgence that pushed toward the playoffs. Not sure they?d trade him and we don?t exactly have the assets to make a trade deal they?d be stupid to decline.
Old 06-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

The Dalton Trigg trade proposal...THJ, Powell, Green, 26 for Holmes and Barnes.

Don't see Sacramento doing that.

Old 06-02-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The Dalton Trigg trade proposal...THJ, Powell, Green, 26 for Holmes and Barnes.

Don't see Sacramento doing that.
They want to dump Holmes after his domestic violence so I could see it.

Barnes isn't getting them anywhere

I'm not sure if either team says yes
Old 06-02-2022, 01:29 PM   #12
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
They want to dump Holmes after his domestic violence so I could see it.

Barnes isn't getting them anywhere

I'm not sure if either team says yes
Holmes just got granted full custody of their son, so I think the DV accusations can be put to bed. He is more likely to be traded as he was replaced by Sabonis in the starting lineup and likely has requested out.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:58 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I think we can get Holmes, but Barnes is going to have a few suitors.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:10 PM   #14
BPo001
Diamond Member

The Knicks are finalizing a contract with Rick Brunson, the father of Jalen Brunson, to become an assistant coach on Tom Thibodeau?s staff, SNY has learned. Brunson, a nine-year NBA veteran, has been an assistant coach under Thibodeau in Chicago and Minnesota. The deal is expected to be finalized in the coming days, per people familiar with the matter. The 49-year-old fills a spot on the Knicks bench created when former assistant Kenny Payne left to become head coach at the University of Louisville. ? via SportsNet New York
Old 06-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #15
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
The Knicks are finalizing a contract with Rick Brunson, the father of Jalen Brunson, to become an assistant coach on Tom Thibodeau?s staff, SNY has learned. Brunson, a nine-year NBA veteran, has been an assistant coach under Thibodeau in Chicago and Minnesota. The deal is expected to be finalized in the coming days, per people familiar with the matter. The 49-year-old fills a spot on the Knicks bench created when former assistant Kenny Payne left to become head coach at the University of Louisville. ? via SportsNet New York

Old 06-03-2022, 06:39 PM   #16
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

So Jalen is going to the Knicks now?
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:58 AM   #17
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
So Jalen is going to the Knicks now?
I think Jalen?s dad worked under Thibs before, so I don?t know that I?d read too much into it. End of the day I think JB remains in Dallas.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:07 PM   #18
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
I think Jalen?s dad worked under Thibs before, so I don?t know that I?d read too much into it. End of the day I think JB remains in Dallas.
Depends on what others (Knicks?) offer him. If its over $25M/year, I don't think he's worth it. I like him, but he's not a superstar. Can be taken out of games...we saw that too in the playoffs. Plus, no amount of working on his game will ever make him 6'5"
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:38 AM   #19
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Depends on what others (Knicks?) offer him. If its over $25M/year, I don't think he's worth it. I like him, but he's not a superstar. Can be taken out of games...we saw that too in the playoffs. Plus, no amount of working on his game will ever make him 6'5"
He's not a superstar, but the way I see it, losing him and getting nothing in return is catastrophic. So pay him whatever it takes, even if it's an outrageous overpay. You can always move a bad contract. Overpaying him is a much lesser evil than losing our second best player (which he is) for nothing.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:31 PM   #20
Zeus

Zeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to beholdZeus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Reminder - in no world do the Mavs let him walk as they are already over the cap. Not like they can use that money elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:23 AM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Mavs lost assistant coach Igor to the Nets. Kinda weird that the Mavs didn't try harder to keep him. Wonder who the replacement will be.

Old 06-04-2022, 07:26 PM   #22
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Mavs lost assistant coach Igor to the Nets. Kinda weird that the Mavs didn't try harder to keep him. Wonder who the replacement will be.
I think I saw earlier on Reddit (I could be wrong on that) that there was a picture of a Charlotte assistant at the airport heading to DFW. Could just be a coincidence though.

Edit: James Borrego was the coach

Last edited by BPo001; 06-05-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:54 PM   #23
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I think I saw earlier on Reddit (I could be wrong on that) that there was a picture of a Charlotte assistant at the airport heading to DFW. Could just be a coincidence though.
If Stotts doesn't get the Charlotte job, then I'd like to have him back.

Old 06-05-2022, 12:01 PM   #24
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
If Stotts doesn't get the Charlotte job, then I'd like to have him back.
I?d take Stotts back real fast, but I believe he turned down an assistant job with the Lakers because he doesn?t want to be an assistant.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #25
BPo001
Diamond Member

After cementing himself this season as Dallas? second-most reliable player behind Luka Dončić, Brunson is expected to command a contract in free agency that meets or even exceeds Fred VanVleet?s recent four-year, $85 million deal with Toronto. 19 hours ago ? via Marc Stein @ marcstein.substack.com
Old 06-05-2022, 06:26 PM   #26
Zeus

If JB isn't smart enough to shun any Knicks move then that is on him. What a dead end gig that would be as the 1 guard on a non playoff caliber team in that market. Good luck with that.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:01 PM   #27
BPo001
Diamond Member

Adrian Wojnarowski: The Utah Jazz requested permission to interview Dallas Mavericks assistant Sean Sweeney for the franchise?s head coaching job, sources tell ESPN. Sweeney also interviewed for Charlotte?s opening in this cycle. ? via Twitter wojespn
Old 06-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #28
BPo001
Diamond Member

Great breakdown of Brunson potential co tract and how sign and trades work with the salary cap.

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/6...BrPM&fs=e&s=cl
Old 06-10-2022, 11:37 AM   #29
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Question: Could Mavs use the Josh Richardson TPE without otherwise reducing their team salary total (waiving players, etc.)? I realize it would increase their luxury tax but am wondering if it is even a consideration under the salary cap rules.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:25 AM   #30
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things I haven't heard people mention that could swing our cap situation.

1) Kleber can be waived with either no cap ramifications or a $100k penalty before July 3rd. Ntlikina can similarly be waived. We could also use those contracts as so-called trade exceptions if we ID someone that we like.

2) Trey Burke has a player option of $3.3m. I think it's about 50-50 whether or not he exercises that.

3) If Nets don't retain Claxton, they have a trade exception that would fit Dwight Powell's salary extremely well.

In my ideal world, we get rid of Kleber, Powell, and Ntlikina. Go after Isaiah Hartenstein. Draft BPA at #26.

Last edited by tap2390; 06-11-2022 at 10:30 AM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:48 AM   #31
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
A couple of things I haven't heard people mention that could swing our cap situation.

1) Kleber can be waived with either no cap ramifications or a $100k penalty before July 3rd. Ntlikina can similarly be waived. We could also use those contracts as so-called trade exceptions if we ID someone that we like.

2) Trey Burke has a player option of $3.3m. I think it's about 50-50 whether or not he exercises that.

3) If Nets don't retain Claxton, they have a trade exception that would fit Dwight Powell's salary extremely well.

In my ideal world, we get rid of Kleber, Powell, and Ntlikina. Go after Isaiah Hartenstein. Draft BPA at #26.
I can?t imagine they dump Maxi for nothing. I?d like to have Frank back. He played meaningful minutes for us in the playoffs. If he can work on his corner 3?s this offseason and shoot 37% or above he will be a rotational piece.

Considering Burke was out of the league before we picked him up (I think) I can?t imagine him not opting in.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:59 PM   #32
Zeus

Quote:
I can?t imagine they dump Maxi for nothing. I?d like to have Frank back. He played meaningful minutes for us in the playoffs. If he can work on his corner 3?s this offseason and shoot 37% or above he will be a rotational piece.

Considering Burke was out of the league before we picked him up (I think) I can?t imagine him not opting in.
Letting Maxi go is a bad idea. Trading him for something more useful making the trade math work is more logical. Or just keep him as he is a useful piece of the rotation.
Old 06-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #33
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Touched on this above, but I am in LOVE with Isaiah Hartenstein's game. He is the perfect center for us.

Here is a great article that touches on his strengths:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...-secret-weapon
Old 06-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #34
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Touched on this above, but I am in LOVE with Isaiah Hartenstein's game. He is the perfect center for us.

Here is a great article that touches on his strengths:

https://www.basketballnews.com/stori...-secret-weapon
I've really warmed up on Hartenstein too.
The more I watch his game on video, and the more I read on him, I think he'd be a great fit for our system.
If we can somehow sign him, I think it will be at least as successful as Bullock but maybe even better.

He checks a lot of the boxes, and would finally give us some legit size and presence in the middle with enough skills to stay on the floor.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 02:03 PM   #35
tap2390
Diamond Member

Thunder trade #30 and 2 future 2nd Rounders for JaMychal Green (1 yr., 8m), '27 Protected 1st Rounder.

These are the sort of deals we should be looking for with our 1 year contracts -- Kleber, Powell, Brown, Ntlikina, Green, etc.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:11 PM   #36
Zeus

Quote:
Thunder trade #30 and 2 future 2nd Rounders for JaMychal Green (1 yr., 8m), '27 Protected 1st Rounder.

These are the sort of deals we should be looking for with our 1 year contracts -- Kleber, Powell, Brown, Ntlikina, Green, etc.
The Nuggets now have picks 21 and 30. Will be their last chance to add to their core most likely. Gee 21 and 30.. I remember when the Mavs were in a better position in 2020 with picks 18, 31 and 36. Look how that influx of talent helped the Mavs

Last edited by Zeus; 06-13-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #37
Zeus

I encourage you all if you havent to lisent to Mavs Party: The CBA explained with Kirk Henderson and CBAMavs that posted on the Mavs Moneyball podcast network this past Tuesday. Our cap vice is more constraining than you can imagine.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #38
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Yea, we know. You keep posting about it.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #39
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Latest from Jake Fischer saying that the Pacers are still shopping Myles Turner. Interesting if true.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-chicago-bulls

Old 06-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #40
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Latest from Jake Fischer saying that the Pacers are still shopping Myles Turner. Interesting if true.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-chicago-bulls
Scroll a little further and you?ll find this:

The Dallas Mavericks, picking No. 26, and Golden State Warriors, picking No. 28, are motivated to find deals for their late-first round selections, sources told B/R. Dallas and Golden State have expensive rosters that feature players such as Brunson, Jordan Poole and Andrew Wiggins who are due for paydays.