Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #41
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Maybe consider Google to get the facts first.
How bout you answer for me, big guy.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Why does Parsons think he deserves max? I get that the market allows for it some places..but F that here. We can't afford to over pay him again especially coming back off another injury.

Combine that with wildly overpaying Wesley, and that's a bad offseason. We end up with 2 starters that are not standout all around players near maxed out and both had significant injuries... isn't that as much potential for disaster as some of the other scenarios involving losing him?
Yes, absolutely. Keeping Parsons is as risky as letting him go. No doubt about it.

I just know that we went on a 6 game winning streak and finished with the 6th seed while Parsons was in street clothes. Keeping Parsons won't change the outlook of making the 6-8 seed unless we got an A lister to go with him. Even then, I still don't think you're any better than the 5th seed.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #43
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
How bout you answer for me, big guy.
yahno
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #44
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Also f*ck durant. Pimple faced f*ggot.
Please go away and never return.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2016 at 02:05 PM. Reason: how about not quoting words that you don't like? makes my job harder...
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #45
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
There arent any SF out there. The mavs are not in a position to F around. He's the one big time FA that's come here and we're going to low ball him? Im not his biggest fan, but its a slippery slope what the FO is doing.
I'll continue with devils advocate on this topic...

Low ball him? I'm a little confused by that. He was getting paid pennies at Houston, and came here unproven in terms of consistency and had a massive pay increase. He has already been overpaid to come here based on potential and still hasn't shown consistency. He has shown trends, but that's it. So; Injured, trending upwards, Then injured.. then max out pay day?!

I do like him, I wish he was more aggressive most of the time in several areas but I like him overall. I just worry that we max him, and then Injury again.

I'm not sold on the scenario that we Max out Parsons coming off two injuries because there isn't anyone quite as good as he could be potentially, if he becomes and remains healthy. I'm leaning towards let him go if he isn't willing to work reasonably and get the next best thing with less risk of missing games.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #46
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I'm wondering if that is a mutual understanding. Dirk doesn't want to play for a rebuilding team and if we don't land at least one all-star caliber player he'd most likely be playing for a lotto bound team.

Dirk may want out if we don't land a decent FA....that may have already been discussed behind closed doors.
I would have never considered this to be a possibility until Golden State mentioned that Dirk was their Plan B after Durant... It just makes so much sense for everyone -- Dirk gets to compete for a ring in a low-pressure situation as the #3 option on a team that can maximize his skill set while Dallas is free to get on with its rebuild from a position of strength (probable sign-and-trade instead of retirement).

Plus, Parsons would be free to maximize his payday on a team that might actually be able to better utilize him... I mean, we brought him in to be our #1 scorer and he isn't. Maybe he needs a situation where he's the clear-cut #2 option? I dunno, but it seems like there are several teams in better situations than Dallas that are willing to max him out.

Win-win?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:57 PM   #47
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll continue with devils advocate on this topic...

Low ball him? I'm a little confused by that. He was getting paid pennies at Houston, and came here unproven in terms of consistency and had a massive pay increase. He has already been overpaid to come here based on potential and still hasn't shown consistency. He has shown trends, but that's it. So; Injured, trending upwards, Then injured.. then max out pay day?!

I do like him, I wish he was more aggressive most of the time in several areas but I like him overall. I just worry that we max him, and then Injury again.

I'm not sold on the scenario that we Max out Parsons coming off two injuries because there isn't anyone quite as good as he could be potentially, if he becomes and remains healthy. I'm leaning towards let him go if he isn't willing to work reasonably and get the next best thing with less risk of missing games.
None of that matters when the market says he's getting max offers from other teams. The mavs have no alternative options. Let Parsons walk and forget attracting ANY notable free agents this season and increase the chance Dirk is not in a Mavs uniform in October.

Last edited by Melonhead; 06-23-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #48
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Right before Parsons got hurt, I was thinking 4yrs/$80M was about right for him. Apparently his first-year salary on a five-year max deal is $22M with whatever the requisite raises are. Now, assuming the Mavs are comfortable with $20M per year like I guessed, what in the world would prevent them from an extra $2M this summer and like $6M in year five? I know we're talking MILLIONS of dollars here, but do you really want to lose him because of about $40M over five years (most of that being about $28M or so in year five)? That seems silly to me, unless you've talked with other prospective targets' agents and the word is we won't be in the running for anyone. Then I understand rebuilding. But man, would I hate to lose Dirk because we didn't pay Parsons an extra $2M this year and subsequently dropped out of the running for a lot of other top-tier free agents.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:06 PM   #49
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
None of that matters when the market says he's getting max offers from other teams. The mavs have no alternative options. Let Parsons walk and forget attracting ANY notable free agents this season and increase the chance Dirk is not in a Mavs uniform in October.
That's one picture, but then he and his contract are strapped to us long after we have wasted the last year of Dirk. So we gamble a big portion of the next 4-5 years of the franchise strictly on getting the last year (maybe two) of Dirk in a Mavs uni?

Old 06-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #50
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

It was a nice gesture, but giving Wes that extra bump is salary could hurt us this offseason.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #51
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
That's one picture, but then he and his contract are strapped to us long after we have wasted the last year of Dirk. So we gamble a big portion of the next 4-5 years of the franchise strictly on getting the last year (maybe two) of Dirk in a Mavs uni?
There's no alternative to the SF position. We'll be on knees for lower tier FA to fill out the roster. With Dirk gone, Mavs would be a lottery team at least the next 2 seasons and at that point we could be in the same position regardless. Might as well give him what he wants.

Last edited by Melonhead; 06-23-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #52
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Right before Parsons got hurt, I was thinking 4yrs/$80M was about right for him. Apparently his first-year salary on a five-year max deal is $22M with whatever the requisite raises are. Now, assuming the Mavs are comfortable with $20M per year like I guessed, what in the world would prevent them from an extra $2M this summer and like $6M in year five? I know we're talking MILLIONS of dollars here, but do you really want to lose him because of about $40M over five years (most of that being about $28M or so in year five)? That seems silly to me, unless you've talked with other prospective targets' agents and the word is we won't be in the running for anyone. Then I understand rebuilding. But man, would I hate to lose Dirk because we didn't pay Parsons an extra $2M this year and subsequently dropped out of the running for a lot of other top-tier free agents.
I think it has less to do with the "extra $2M" part and more to do with the "right before Parsons got hurt" part... $20m/year sounded reasonable until he missed his second playoffs in two years because of injury.

Chandler Parsons playoff stats in a Mavs uniform: GP 1 / MIN 37 / PTS 10.0 (5-15 FG, 0-4 3P, 0-0 FT) / REB 6.0 / AST 2.0 / BLK 0.0 / STL 0.0 / PF 1.0 / TO 1.0

You could argue that it's a small sample size, but it's a small sample size because the guy is never healthy for the playoffs... Parsons has done squat to advance the Mavericks' status as a contender, but we should max him out after overpaying him for the last 2 seasons? Lol, nope.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #53
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I think it has less to do with the "extra $2M" part and more to do with the "right before Parsons got hurt" part... $20m/year sounded reasonable until he missed his second playoffs in two years because of injury.

Chandler Parsons playoff stats in a Mavs uniform: GP 1 / MIN 37 / PTS 10.0 (5-15 FG, 0-4 3P, 0-0 FT) / REB 6.0 / AST 2.0 / BLK 0.0 / STL 0.0 / PF 0.0 / TO 1.0

You could argue that it's a small sample size, but it's a small sample size because the guy is never healthy for the playoffs... Chandler Parsons has done almost NOTHING for the Mavericks, and we're gonna max him out after overpaying him for the last 2 seasons? Lol, nope.
If we don't max him out we better have the inside track on Conley and/or Whiteside. If we miss out on all three, might as well let Dirk walk.

Tough position for the Mavs... Parsons definitely doesn't deserve the max, but the market determines value.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:26 PM   #54
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
If we don't max him out we better have the inside track on Conley and/or Whiteside. If we miss out on all three, might as well let Dirk walk.

Tough position for the Mavs... Parsons definitely doesn't deserve the max, but the market determines value.
Yep.

Doc Rivers killed the sh!t out of this team last summer... (well, final nail in the coffin -- Cuban's new CBA strategy did most of the damage...)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #55
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the input, very valuable. So much so that I'll just go ahead and put it in my special filing cabinet.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #56
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Before they met with Dirk before his opt out, they were talking as if they were ready to pay Parsons. Maybe Dirk is the one who doesn't want to give up money just to pay Parsons his max.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #57
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Before they met with Dirk before his opt out, they were talking as if they were ready to pay Parsons. Maybe Dirk is the one who doesn't want to give up money just to pay Parsons his max.
He's already made that sacrifice for Parsons once, got nothing but consecutive 1st Round exits for his generosity... Could've gotten a yacht instead (not his style, but the point stands).

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #58
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would have never considered this to be a possibility until Golden State mentioned that Dirk was their Plan B after Durant... It just makes so much sense for everyone -- Dirk gets to compete for a ring in a low-pressure situation as the #3 option on a team that can maximize his skill set while Dallas is free to get on with its rebuild from a position of strength (probable sign-and-trade instead of retirement).

Plus, Parsons would be free to maximize his payday on a team that might actually be able to better utilize him... I mean, we brought him in to be our #1 scorer and he isn't. Maybe he needs a situation where he's the clear-cut #2 option? I dunno, but it seems like there are several teams in better situations than Dallas that are willing to max him out.

Win-win?
And we have to eventually ask ourselves if the treadmill of mediocrity really is that satisfying. Last year's team wasn't anywhere near as good as the Spurs, Thunder, or Warriors. Not even close. And that's your path to the finals.

I don't believe in tanking, but I am fully on board with developing young players because the Mavs don't understand that is how you groom assets. Watching Powell (at times), Anderson, and Mejri develop made me feel better than watching a broken down Deron play with effort 50% of the time.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #59
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I wonder if keeping Parsons would actually keep Dirk happy? If not, why bother?

I do think this could all be a massive smoke screen since the usual offseason is the Mavs being interested in every free agent.

Old 06-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #60
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's already made that sacrifice for Parsons once, got nothing but consecutive 1st Round exits for his generosity... Could've gotten a yacht instead (not his style, but the point stands).
Consecutive 1st Round exits and a "no hard feelings" pic with the VAJ.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:35 PM   #61
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the input, very valuable. So much so that I'll just go ahead and put it in my special filing cabinet.
And using f***** to describe a player is what? Incredible insight? GTFOH.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #62
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the answer to the "Chandler Parsons dilemma", is the same given to all Mavs related issues..... "Just ask Dirk." His answer is all Donnie, Cuban or anyone on the DM.com board should need......Right??
Old 06-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #63
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:

Chandler Parsons playoff stats in a Mavs uniform: GP 1 / MIN 37 / PTS 10.0 (5-15 FG, 0-4 3P, 0-0 FT) / REB 6.0 / AST 2.0 / BLK 0.0 / STL 0.0 / PF 1.0 / TO 1.0

You could argue that it's a small sample size, but it's a small sample size because the guy is never healthy for the playoffs... Parsons has done squat to advance the Mavericks' status as a contender, but we should max him out after overpaying him for the last 2 seasons? Lol, nope.
Those are good points, but to be fair Parsons' second knee injury was minor and just incredibly bad luck/timing.

And I'd argue that he's mostly responsible for us getting so close on DAJ and certainly don't blame him for that falling apart. I still have faith in Parsons as a recruiter but understand if the MBT pulls the plug on him here. It just has to be for a better reason than "we don't feel like he's a max guy". It has to be because there is a concrete alternative plan in which Parsons doesn't fit.

If we lose Parsons and don't get someone in the Howard/Whiteside/Conley ilk, I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Last edited by spreedom; 06-23-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:50 PM   #64
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
And using f***** to describe a player is what? Incredible insight? GTFOH.
Well in this case it's no insight at all since the information is common knowledge (or at least it should be). So I guess I just stated a fact?

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #65
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well in this case it's no insight at all since the information is common knowledge (or at least it should be). So I guess I just stated a fact?
Can we please flush this turd?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #66
Underdog

Quote:
Can we please flush this turd?
Can we please stay on topic and not hijack this thread with personal attacks? The comment that has started this flame war has been addressed, the poster said they will refrain from using that word again.

Take it to PM if you wanna talk shit to each other -- this space is for Chandler Parsons discussion.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:05 PM   #67
Underdog

Just posted a new thread that seems to further indicate that Parsons may not be back...

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39582

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2016 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #68
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

It would break my heart to see Dirk finish his career for any other team (especially the f*cking Warriors.) It truly would. But man, if we have to max out the already overpaid Parsons just to keep Dirk for one more year, maybe two? That's a tough pill to swallow.

I honestly don't know what the right answer is, but I know I'm sick of constantly "retooling" every year desperately hoping for one more playoff push and never getting anything out of the draft. At some point we have to begin the actual rebuilding process. We've just been delaying it year after year .

As gut-wrenching as it would be to see Dirk wear a different jersey, if keeping means we have to max out Parsons just so we can hope to lure another big free agent to max out, it seems like it does make more sense to just let them both go and start completely over. Maybe get some decent players and/or picks so we have something to rebuild with instead of being stuck with Parsons and whoever else we probably won't want after Dirk retires.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #69
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

What does a max contract look like for Parsons? Does it start at $18M? $20M? $22M?

Last edited by purplefrog; 06-23-2016 at 04:53 PM.
purplefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #70
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
What does a max contract look like for Parsons? Does it start at $18M? $20M? $22M?
Roughly 4 years/$96m, $22m the first year.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:08 PM   #71
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Im not in favor of the comments either, but thats the type of stuff that does keep fans away from D-M.com. We need posters to keep going.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:18 PM   #72
Underdog

Quote:
Im not in favor of the comments either, but thats the type of stuff that does keep fans away from D-M.com. We need posters to keep going.
Right now we may need PLAYERS to keep this thing going... Here's to hoping the FO doesn't totally sh!t the bed this summer!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #73
Underdog

@espn_macmahon: Dallas' ideal scenario of landing both Mike Conley and Hassan Whiteside would not leave enough cap space to re-sign forward Chandler Parsons. The Mavs are willing to take the risk of Parsons accepting an offer from another team while they pursue their Plan A, sources say.

Old 06-23-2016, 05:47 PM   #74
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Perhaps the answer to the "Chandler Parsons dilemma", is the same given to all Mavs related issues..... "Just ask Dirk." His answer is all Donnie, Cuban or anyone on the DM.com board should need......Right??

Yup, pretty much!

Old 06-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #75
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
@espn_macmahon: Dallas' ideal scenario of landing both Mike Conley and Hassan Whiteside would not leave enough cap space to re-sign forward Chandler Parsons. The Mavs are willing to take the risk of Parsons accepting an offer from another team while they pursue their Plan A, sources say.
Bye Felicia.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #76
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Bye Felicia.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-23-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:18 PM   #77
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Which means starting Anderson at SF is a real possibility.

Conley
Wes
Anderson
Dirk
Whiteside

That's potential to be a spry defensive team.

Last edited by yahyes; 06-23-2016 at 06:18 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #78
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs are ready to move on from Parsons because he just screwed an aweseome pitch for Conley and Whiteside with not opting in.

With everyone opting out (Dirk, Parsons, Deron) we have ~61m cap. Chandler opting in fo his ~16m would still mean around 45m cap (i think Dirk gives the green light to re-sign for the small exection if they strike gold in the FA). Thats enough to offer Conley and Whiteside their max and make the pitch about having a complete awesome S5 (Conley-Wes-Parsons-Dirk-Whiteside) and three solid bench guys (Barea/Devin/Justin). Awesome looking team and pitch.

All Parsons had to do for this was collecting a 16m paycheck next season and trusting Cubans promise (pretty sure he made that) to take care of him next summer with a big contract. The Mavs trusted Parsons and gave him the huge contract (everyone saying they overpaid) and what did Parsons? Got hurt two times in a row and let a close friend screw the franchise last summer, after all the GM Parsons attention whore bullshit on social media. You should think that Parsons kind of "owned" the Mavs one (specially Dirk, who made Chandlers huge contract possible).

But again no, Chandler wasnt willing to do this. And its not even sacrificing something when you know that Cuban would always keep his word and pay him next summer. Now the pitch is "Wes and Dirk and around 15m to spend on someone we dont know who it would be"

So yeah im pretty tired of injuried Parsons, wannabe GM Parsons and "me first" Parsons and ready to move on. The last thing i want is the FO being on Chandlers door after midnight "here, you are awesome, take your 20m+ contract"

He fucked us two times in the playoffs, last summer as part of the Jordan bullshit and now he ruined an awesome FA situation (adding two max contracts to a Dirk/Wes/Parsons core) with selfish opting out. If he would be all about winning and Mavs are awesome and Dirk is awesome he would have give the franchise the possibilty to add two new max guys.

Im pretty sure Cuban was pretty pissed about Chandlers attitude here.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-23-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #79
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
I think the Mavs are ready to move on from Parsons because he just screwed an aweseome pitch for Conley and Whiteside with not opting in.

With everyone opting out (Dirk, Parsons, Deron) we have ~61m cap. Chandler opting in fo his ~16m would still mean around 45m cap (i think Dirk gives the green light to re-sign for the small exection if they strike gold in the FA). Thats enough to offer Conley and Whiteside their max and make the pitch about having a complete awesome S5 (Conley-Wes-Parsons-Dirk-Whiteside) and three solid bench guys (Barea/Devin/Justin). Awesome looking team and pitch.

All Parsons had to do for this was collecting a 16m paycheck next season and trusting Cubans promise (pretty sure he made that) to take care of him next summer with a big contract. The Mavs trusted Parsons and gave him the huge contract (everyone saying they overpaid) and what did Parsons? Got hurt two times in a row and let a close friend screw the franchise last summer, after all the GM Parsons attention whore bullshit on social media. You should think that Parsons kind of "owned" the Mavs one (specially Dirk, who made Chandlers huge contract possible).

But again no, Chandler wasnt willing to do this. And its not even sacrificing something when you know that Cuban would always keep his word and pay him next summer. Now the pitch is "Wes and Dirk and around 15m to spend on someone we dont know who it would be"

So yeah im pretty tired of injuried Parsons, wannabe GM Parsons and "me first" Parsons and ready to move on. The last thing i want is the FO being on Chandlers door after midnight "here, you are awesome, take your 20m+ contract"

He fucked us two times in the playoffs, last summer as part of the Jordan bullshit and now he ruined an awesome FA situation (adding two max contracts to a Dirk/Wes/Parsons core) with selfish opting out. If he would be all about winning and Mavs are awesome and Dirk is awesome he would have give the franchise the possibilty to add two new max guys.

Im pretty sure Cuban was pretty pissed about Chandlers attitude here.
I'm not disagreeing with any of this, but knowing Parsons injury history the last 2 years maybe he sees it like he needs to get paid now because he doesn't know what his future could hold health wise. It's easy to say Cuban could promise him a max contract next summer, but what if he blows out his knee for a third time? No way you can pay him that kinda money in the event that happened. While I agree Parsons owes Cuban, Dirk, and the Mavs a huge favor he has to look out for himself too. If he does in fact leave I feel really bad that Dirk took less money to sign that chump.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #80
sefant77
Guru

nah, knowing Cuban he was willing to take the risk giving Parsons now his word to pay him next summer no matter what happens again injury wise....

So yeah i think my theory is right.

And with 45 million in the books Parsons is really a poor guy, no way he could trust Cuban to pay him later

Last edited by sefant77; 06-23-2016 at 07:16 PM.