Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #1
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deron Williams: Broke?

He's going to Turkey to play during the lockout, they say. When I saw the interview a couple days ago, something raised my eyebrow. Here's the relevant bit from today's ESPN story:

Quote:
Some have speculated that Williams, who has made more than $40 million over his six-year career, is going overseas because he needs the money. He laughed at that notion.

"It's ridiculous," he said. "We've known this lockout's coming. I have plenty of money saved for the lockout purpose. Now, I don't even need to touch that money. I can invest that money. I can go grow that money. It's not something that's money-driven."
How much of that $40MM do you think is left? How high are this guy's annual expenses? I mean, he didn't say "I've got more than enough money in the bank to withstand a year with no income." Instead he's been squirreling money away to get him through the dark days? Um-hmm. Something tells me that if there was a portion of his early salary that he hadn't "need[ed] to touch" and that he had "invest[ed]" and "grow[n]," he wouldn't be in this--um, yes--"money-driven" position.

Quote:
Williams will take his wife and four kids with him to Istanbul, where the team will provide them with an apartment, a car and personal security.
Sounds like a nice lifestyle! How great for the four kids. What a culturally diverse learning experience.

Sounds to me like maybe D-Will has been living beyond his means. If so, that would of course completely be his own decision and not something anyone else should pass judgment on. But it may be an anecdotal point to suggest that the players aren't able to withstand a full season without pay.

Story here: http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6753259
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I simply can´t comprehend how so many pro athletes are living "by their paychecks". Are they really that stupid? And given that fact (alot of the espn guys like Simmons and others have said so) I think it´s pretty safe to say players won´t be able to withstand a full season without pay.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an interesting cultural vacation with someone picking up all of the bills and him playing a game. I don't know, sounds like a pretty interesting way to spend the summer.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty extreme inference to draw from the quotes in that article.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

I don't think he's hurting for money. But a chance to travel for a year, and keep his game sharp, and make 5 mil doin it? No brainer. He said he took out the proper ins, so I say enjoy an experience most of will never have the opportunity to enjoy..... also, as an athlete, with a limited life span for making that kind of money, can you blame a guy for making 5 million more bucks?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Istanbul and Manzikert. Instanbul is pretty cool, but I sure wouldn't want to live there.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
SCOOTERJ55

SCOOTERJ55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wild/bizarre speculation in this thread.
SCOOTERJ55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 AM   #8
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Haha I doubt hes broke. Hes just not the Walker type. The guy wants to play and like he said this is a great learning experience for him and his kids, which a loot of people dont get this days that its actualkly good to know about other people and live among them if you can.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Nets didnt make the playoffs. If we get lucky and have a short 50 games season Deron wouldnt play a single game in over 8 months.

Over 8 months just boring gym and some lame pickup games with friends?

in europe he has competition, a nice cultural experience and yeah get a few bucks...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

German media says that Dirk gets a lot offers from teams around Europe, the most lucrative coming from Turkey.

I'd like to see Dirk teaming up with Deron and possibly Kobe in Istanbul. Would be fun to watch those three play together in front of those crazy fans in Turkey and around Europe. I wouldn't even mind them playing a whole season there. After winning a ring, Dirk has nothing to prove in the NBA during a shortened season which will give him a championship with an * at the most. Tearing up Europe, now that would be something special. Maybe it could even land Dallas Deron later on somehow.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote