Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #1
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default Clarett to be released by Ohio State.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State is ready to cut ties with Maurice Clarett if the star running back asks to transfer to another school, Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel said Tuesday.

Tues., September 9
If Maurice Clarett challenged the rule prohibiting him from entering the NFL draft and won the court battle, he still looks like no better than a second-round pick at this point. There are just too many questions. Clarett had injury problems last year as a freshman and did not play the entire season, he has not been timed reliably in the 40-yards dash, and the off-field problems that have made him ineligible are a worry.

That said, Clarett has already proven against major-college competition what he can do when healthy. A transfer to a school like Grambling would do nothing to hurt his draft position, assuming he dominated at that level. Plenty of great NFL players -- Jerry Rice, for example -- have come out of Division I-AA. An outstanding performance could perhaps push him into the first round, but as things stand right now I would rate Clarett as a likely second-round selection.

Tressel's comment came just before prosecutors charged Clarett with lying about items that were stolen from him out of a car.

Tressel said he does not anticipate Clarett returning to the team this season. When asked if he would recommend Clarett be released from his scholarship if the request was made, Tressel said, "my recommendation would be yes."

On Monday, Cleveland television station WJW reported that the university has finished its investigation into Clarett and has uncovered evidence that Clarett received "extra benefits worth thousands of dollars." WJW also reported that Ohio State would not seek reinstatement for him.

Alan C. Milstein, the Clarett family attorney, said he wasn't surprised by Tressel's comments or the misdemeanor charge.

"Nothing Ohio State does surprises me," he said. "I don't think the family recognizes what Ohio State's actions and motivations are either."

Milstein declined to comment on whether Clarett would consider transferring.

Asked if Clarett had played his final game for the Buckeyes, Milstein said, "I think that's up to Ohio State."

Prosecutors and Ohio State University police filed a misdemeanor falsification charge against him in Franklin County Municipal Court, city attorney spokesman Scott Varner said.

Clarett has already been suspended indefinitely from the team, and probably will not play for the Buckeyes this season. He is also being investigated by the NCAA.

Clarett acknowledged earlier this summer that he filed an exaggerated theft report after his car was broken into in April. The car, a 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, was borrowed from a local dealer.

The NCAA started looking into the report after Clarett stated he had lost more than $10,000 in items in the theft.

Clarett set Ohio State freshman records last season with 1,237 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns, including the winning score in the Buckeyes' double-overtime victory over Miami in the Fiesta Bowl.

The university does not have a set punishment for athletes charged with misdemeanors, Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger said Tuesday. The charge will not factor into the length of a suspension the university will recommend to the NCAA, he said.

Clarett's mother, Michelle, did not return a phone message seeking comment on the charge. Former NFL star tailback Jim Brown, a family adviser, said he wasn't aware of the charge and declined comment on it or Tressel's statement.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2003, 07:15 AM   #2
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

He just needs to go sign a 2 year contract with the CFL and get drafted in 2005 like everyone else.

He's trying to be football's version of Spencer Haywood, there's just one problem: he's not ready.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:34 AM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Clarett to be released by Ohio State.

ha ha, doug williams apparently wants him at grambling. even held a mini press conference holding up a clarett jersey.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:30 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
ha ha, doug williams apparently wants him at grambling. even held a mini press conference holding up a clarett jersey.
The NCAA is investigating Williams for tampering. No kidding. It was on SportsCenter this morning.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 08:40 AM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i saw that, too. but they said as long as he did not make contact with clarett, it should be ok...
Old 09-10-2003, 02:26 PM   #6
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

I think the guy will challenge the rule. people took a risk on Willis Mcghee surely people will do the same for a similar talent. Although Mel Kiper said that he would likely be a second round pick.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

Clarett is getting railroaded if you ask me, but hey that's just one mans opinion but I am more than sure it's shared by many.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:11 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

clarett deserves to sit out a year..but ohio state also deserves some sanctions... this shouldn't be over and done with JUST with clarett getting in trouble. the university must be held accountable as well
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:34 PM   #9
QCarFan
Golden Member

My sentiments exactly about them getting sanctioned as well, but a year for him? That's a bit harsh IMO.........
Old 09-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Did the university file a false police report? No.

Did Clarett? Yes.

I think Ohio State probably waited to suspend Maurice (who is an incredible football talent) to give the appearance of trying to help him or at least to avoid the appearance that they don't back their players, etc.

That all said, he broke the law. There are repurcussions to those actions and he should face up to them. I don't have a suggestion for what those should be, but he should step up and face the legal issues like a man.

EDIT: He shouldn't be prohibited to play in the NFL imho. If he can't play college ball and he steps up on the legal issue, let him play NFL ball.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 PM   #11
QCarFan
Golden Member

The one year suspension had alot more to do with just the false police report Doc, come on you know that.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

I obviously failed to include that I think both he and the school have problems on the benefits issue. I was thinking it, but I didn't post it. That was a mistake.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:42 PM   #13
QCarFan
Golden Member

No problem Doc, we agree on that.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:53 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

I guess since you and murph had just posted it on the prior two posts I didn't include it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]