Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-04-2004, 11:26 PM   #241
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all
Default RE:Mavs @ New Orleans Gameday thread

I love what Harris is doing. He is playing smart and not trying to force anything. He is playing within himself and getting other involved.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:10 AM   #242
Xpander

Xpander is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Mavs @ New Orleans Gameday thread

As long as Harris continues to hound the opposing point guard and distribute the ball well, I think he should get his minutes(will Nellie though?). This team is loaded with scorers....... I'm very excited about MBenga based solely on preseason boxscore, pics, and commentary on this forum, i'll assume he hasn't picked up the offense very well as the reason he hasn't received playing time yet.
Xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:35 AM   #243
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB

There was only a little over 2 minutes of garbage time when Scott threw in the towel and pulled his starters. I wouldn't have had much of a problem playing Benga there since Shawn had already fouled out and Damp had gotten plenty of minutes already. I wouldn't want to have played Benga any earlier though. Benga needs quality minutes, not garbage minutes to develop. Hopefully once the regular rotation has meshed, maybe sometime in late December, early January with luck, Benga can get some quality minutes. Until then the focus needs to be to get the regular rotation as many quality minutes as possible so that they can mesh. Yeah if Shawn or Damp or Dirk or Hendu goes down we will need to play Benga or at least Booth. But the that's only a maybe. We know we will be playing Damp, Shawn, Dirk, and Hendu and they need time to mesh together and with the rest of the team. That has to be top priority from now until the team meshes. Ideally we could give Benga this whole year to develop without having to call on him.
I think my point has been muddled, so please allow me to restate more clearly. In the context of that game, where Dampier was getting rest and Bradley was in foul trouble, IMHO playing Mbenga against Magloire would have been enlightening. Bradley did not have to be exposed to fouling out since you had other options to go to at the 5 (namely Mbenga or even Booth).

I will grant you that in the big picture Bradley should get more PT than Mbenga, that is NOT what I was arguing. My original point pertains to what the Mavs did wrong in that specific game. I felt it was a great opportunity to get a look at Mbenga against a quality NBA center. Don't you agree?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #244
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I will grant you that in the big picture Bradley should get more PT than Mbenga, that is NOT what I was arguing. My original point pertains to what the Mavs did wrong in that specific game. I felt it was a great opportunity to get a look at Mbenga against a quality NBA center. Don't you agree?
No, I do not agree. It's way too early in the season for Benga to be getting any minutes outside of garbage time unless we absolutely have to have him. We didn't this game. Developing Benga is important, but in the big picture it's of only relatively small importance to developing the team as a whole. Playing Benga would have been sacrificing team development for his personal development and would have been a mistake IMO.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #245
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I knew people would buy into the hype Nellie brought concerning Benga. This is why I don't mind when Nellie seems a bit negative in his interviews when it comes to the Mavs. Benga isn't ready yet. If he was he would be playing. The fact that Nellie gave Bradley pt over him tells me what I need to know. Nothing against Bradley but I get the impression Nellie doesn't really like the guy.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #246
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Nothing against Bradley but I get the impression Nellie doesn't really like the guy.
You're not the only one getting that impression.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:17 PM   #247
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I knew people would buy into the hype Nellie brought concerning Benga. This is why I don't mind when Nellie seems a bit negative in his interviews when it comes to the Mavs. Benga isn't ready yet. If he was he would be playing. The fact that Nellie gave Bradley pt over him tells me what I need to know. Nothing against Bradley but I get the impression Nellie doesn't really like the guy.
I wouldn't count myself as one the is buying into Mbenga hype. I would just want to see exactly what he's got. He may have nothing and may be schooled by any one he guards. Or, he might actually look pretty good. Either way, it will never be truly known until he can get on the floor. My desire to see him on the floor has more to do with curiousity rather than an attempt to say that he is "ready" or not.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:21 PM   #248
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:

No, I do not agree. It's way too early in the season for Benga to be getting any minutes outside of garbage time unless we absolutely have to have him. We didn't this game. Developing Benga is important, but in the big picture it's of only relatively small importance to developing the team as a whole. Playing Benga would have been sacrificing team development for his personal development and would have been a mistake IMO.
Then thats where you and I disagree. You feel it's too early to see him on the floor, but I say a few minutes wouldn't hurt his development. In fact, I would argue it would be beneficial.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:36 PM   #249
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:

Then thats where you and I disagree. You feel it's too early to see him on the floor, but I say a few minutes wouldn't hurt his development. In fact, I would argue it would be beneficial.
You're talking about hurting Benga's development, and I don't think a few minutes would hurt HIS development. However, Benga's development isn't among my chief concerns. We have a couple of years to develop him and ideally we would be able to not play him for the next two years so that we don't lose him to free agency. However, that's besides the point. My chief concern is for the Mavs' as a team development. And the regular rotation guys need to get all the nongarbage time minutes until this team jells. We only have 5 players who were on the team last year and two of those were rookies last year. So we only have 3 players who have played for more than 1 season in a Mavs uniform. This team needs to get these players who will be playing minutes time together. Also now is not the time to fart around and lose a game so that you can develop your 3rd or 4th string center when you 1st and 2nd string center need developing with those same minutes. If I could get Damp 35 minutes per night and Bradley 25 per night without playing them together and without purposefully going into overtime I'd be happy. That's not possible. 2 games into the season is way too early to start farting around with a completely unproven rookie when there are two much better and much more capable players in front of him.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:14 PM   #250
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs @ New Orleans Gameday thread

Quote:
We have a couple of years to develop him
Actually the Mavs may be purposely holding him back. He will be an unrestricted free agent in 2 years. So if he "busts out" in games during the next two years, some team will pay him big bucks for his services.

If the Mavs don't play that much and let him learn in preseason and practice then not many teams will throw him a lot of money.

They may be keeping his value low in order to get him locked up later. Or it could be a conspiracy theory by me.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 PM   #251
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We should have M'Benga on the IR for the next two years. Crap, if he has a good 10 minutes we'll definitely lose him.

[img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img]
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote