Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 07-17-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I saw this last night, and I loved it. I think its much better than the original, which is rare for me to say. I saw that EL said she didn't like it in another thread, but she lies.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

i thought it was great too

johnny depp making fun of kids [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

It was terrible
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Depp is repulsive.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of my issues with the movie

1) Gene Wilder was sweet and you could tell that under all the quirkiness, his Willy Wonka was kind and wasnt capable of awful things. Johnny Depp's Wonka was creepy-- with his bleached skin, his seeming allergy to light, the rubber gloves on his hands at all times. I argued with my friend as to whether this remake was single-handedly ruined by Michael Jackson and Im not sure that it was completely, but there is something a little more eerie about a guy who acts like a child and who doesnt understand family.

2) Im thinking that when the kids commented on how the oompa-loompa song sounded rehearsed, it was supposed to be meta-humor relating to the nature of musicals, but the joke wasnt pulled off very well-- combine that with some other hints, and it really seemed to me like Wonka was playing G-d, and actively going after these kids-- like he had arranged that they all come to his factory and meet the doom that he had planned. In the books, Willy Wonka was the good-hearted guy who lived in a dangerous factory and it was the kids defying him that led to trouble. Willy Wonka never led the kids right up to the edge of a bad decision.

I know (after reading every Roald Dahl book he ever wrote for kids and a couple of them he wrote for adults) that Dahl's books are not kind to adults-- in his books the vast majority of adults are incompetent or evil, or plotting, self-centered, and/or consumed by their own power (Ms. Trunchbull, M/Ms. Wormwood, M/Ms Twit, The witches coven, The Greggs, Victor Hazell) . Dahl did have good characters in his books-- the eccentric adult who wasnt caught up in the ridiculous adult world. As a child I recognized those characters immediately-- the Friendly Giant, Reverend Lee, The Minpins, and in my opinion-- Willy Wonka. Each of these good adults lives in a silly and sometimes dangerous world, however, just as Willy Wonka lives in his dangerous and quirky factory.

Thats why Roald Dahl was so fun to read as a kid-- he was really talking about the two different worlds-- the world of the child and the world of the adult, and how as kids we had to protect the immature, but logical (to a child) world of childhood, while moving into this ridiculous and sometimes pointless and magicless world of adulthood. In addition to being fun stories, many of his best works were parables that shot from the waist, never talking down to kids, while at the same time really understanding what it was to be a kid growing up.

The new Willy Wonka didnt do any of those things. The world of Charlie Bucket was the adult world of traditional family connections and unemployment and poverty without the magic and unique, childish perspective. Even Willy Wonka, who was supposed to be a shining example of how an eccentric adult can keep the magic of childhood alive, was hopelessly lost in this adult world and was used for an alternative message-- that family is important. In doing so, the idea of Wonka as an adult that successfully preserved the magic of childhood was lost, and was made tragic.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
It was terrible
bingo.

At least I got to see the premier at the world famous Grauman Chinese Theater in Hollywood. The history of the place made the national debut of this stinker bearable.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw it last night. I agree with most of your assessments EL. I did enjoy it, and I thought it was worth seeing, but it's certainly nothing compaired to the original. And as much I like Johnny Depp, I just don't think the script allowed a faithful depiction of the character. Also, the movie didn't really have an ending. It didn't seem to build up to anything and was pretty anticlimactic.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #8
green14552

green14552 is on a distinguished road

good post EL...I'll be curious to watch it...I'm downloading the movie now.
green14552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: green14552
Careful, there's lawyers patrolling these here boards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
Quote:
Careful, there's lawyers patrolling these here boards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Green is a Warner Bro. executive [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Originally posted by: jthig32
Quote:
Green is a Warner Bro. executive [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
In fact, when your download completes, can you please send it to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:44 PM   #12
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I really liked the flick...as a funny movie...but it lacked almost all the magic of the first.

Question of the day: Jonny Depp: Most overrated actor of the day?

Gene Wilder was genius as Wonka...Depp was just playing a type.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:58 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Sike, I think that is the perfect asssessment I have been looking for.

I enjoyed the movie, but I want my kids (4 and 2), to watch the original right now. Even if I tried to get them to watch the new one, I don't think they would enjoy it as much.

Depp is a good actor. If I had to guess, I'd say that's exactley what Burton wanted him to be in that character. Once you saw Burton was doing the film, you had to know it wouldn't be a magical kids movie, but it would have a darker edge to it, which is exactley what happened. I mean Depp AND Bonham-Carter? Had to have an edge.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

why thanks, j [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:37 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I found the new movie to be much closer to the book than the original movie. I know some didn't like it...The two biggest reasons:

1. many hate Johnny Depp because his political views... Not just that, but because the guy comes off sounding like an idiot outside of the world of movies.

2. When people think Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, they have expectations of sunny days and a rainbow shooting directly up their ass. Well, that's not the remake by any means. Sorry, it's a much darker movie. Personally, I enjoyed this version more than the original despite my personal dislike of the non acting side of Johnny Depp. With that being said, he is a tremendous actor.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 PM   #16
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Johnny Depp overrated? Name a few people that have been as good as him lately. I don't know if there are any. Pirates of the C., Secret Window, Finding Neverland, Charlie, etc.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Saying Depp is overrated is like saying Marlon Brando is overrated after he made <u>The Island of Dr. Moreau</u>:

Depp has <u>Edward Scissor Hands</u> and <u>What's Eating Gilbert Grape</u>
Brando has <u>Streetcar Named Desire</u>, <u>On the Waterfront</u> and <u>Godfather</u>

an actor can't be considered overrated after performances like those.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:26 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Saying Depp is overrated is like saying Marlon Brando is overrated after he made <u>The Island of Dr. Moreau</u>:

Depp has <u>Edward Scissor Hands</u> and <u>What's Eating Gilbert Grape</u>
Brando has <u>Streetcar Named Desire</u>, <u>On the Waterfront</u> and <u>Godfather</u>

an actor can't be considered overrated after performances like those.
Brando's overrated. I can't say that I remotely care for any movie that Brando has been in.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:52 PM   #19
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

well if you can brush off my critiques of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by saying that critics like it then I can respond that Marlon Brando is considered a legend of American Film by every reputable film organization.

Nominated for an oscar 8 times, winning for Godfather and again for On the Waterfront
Best actor at Cannes for Viva Zapata
four golden Globe awards
NSFC award for best actor (National Society of Film Critics Awards)
2 time NYFCC Award winner (New York Film Critics Circle Awards)
Old 07-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

I realize that I'm in the minority in no liking Brando. Part of it is that I generally don't like gang/mob movies. That kinda turned me off on him before I saw some of his other work. I also realize that he's a great actor even though I do not like the movies that he's in. I understand that Godfather is one of the better movies of all time. I still don't like it. I'm just not in to those types of movies.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

fair enough.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:40 AM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

a good larf