Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-29-2006, 01:56 AM   #81
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
You said that with the exception of 2001 Dirk's numbers improved in the playoffs. (Not sure why you would except one of the years, but that's neither here nor there.) Well, last year and without Nash, his numbers declined dramatically, didn't they? In fact, I remember reading a study that had Dirk near the bottom of the bunch in terms of players whose stats declined in the regular season as compared to the regular season. What say you? I mean, this is when he is supposed to be getting better, right? This is when Nash is finding an entirely new level. For Dirk to tank while Nash excels is rather embarrassing for the Mavs, and rather damaging to your argument.
You don't understand why I would except years? I recall you saying something about outliers in the past? I assumed that you would look up Dirk's numbers in 2001 and realize that the reason I "excepted" it is because his points total in the playoffs were identical to the ones he had during the regular season. I guess I gave you too much credit.

Dirk had a phenomenal year last year (coincidentally, the year Nash left, guess Dirk didn't need Nash to set him up afterall, gee whiz) - 26.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg. His numbers in the playoffs? 23.7 ppg, 10.1 rpg. Are you serious? What kind of superstar players do we have in the NBA where a decrease of 2.6 pts and an increase of 0.4 rbs rests at the bottom of the bunch?

Last edited by orangedays; 03-29-2006 at 01:56 AM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2006, 02:01 AM   #82
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays
You don't understand why I would except years? I recall you saying something about outliers in the past? I assumed that you would look up Dirk's numbers in 2001 and realize that the reason I "excepted" it is because his points total in the playoffs were identical to the ones he had during the regular season. I guess I gave you too much credit.
Crap, you excepted GAMES! I really don't care if you except 2001, for Dirk OR Nash, because neither was ready to compete at a top level until 2003.

Quote:
Dirk had a phenomenal year last year (coincidentally, the year Nash left, guess Dirk didn't need Nash to set him up afterall, gee whiz) - 26.3 ppg, 9.7 rpg. His numbers in the playoffs? 23.7 ppg, 10.1 rpg. Are you serious? What kind of superstar players do we have in the NBA where a decrease of 2.6 pts and an increase of 0.4 rbs rests at the bottom of the bunch?
Do you really wanna know?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 02:04 AM   #83
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Haha, okay buddy. Enough is enough. I'm going to go ahead and draw the line with you saying that we operate on different planes.

Do you really want to compare brain pans with me? The smart answer is no, but through our conversation you have persuaded me that you will not pick that answer.

This was never a personal issue for me, but through the increasingly deprecatory nature of your posts you appear intent on making it one - so let's.

How would you like to quantify it? SAT scores? GMAT? LSAT? IQs? GPAs? Pick your poison. We can do this through PM should you so desire.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #84
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

1580 SAT, when I was young and foolish. 1600 GRE, when I was more seasoned. 4.0 GPA, of course. Never took the GMAT or LSAT. Don't know what IQ test I could ever trust.

What you got?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:23 AM   #85
orangedays
Platinum Member

Scored 179 on the Stanford-Binet at age 10.
Scored 1540 on the SATs at age 14.
Scored 1600 on the SATs at age 17.
Scored 780 on the GMAT at age 20.
Scored 177 on the LSAT at age 20.
Scored 172 on the Stanford-Binet at age 21.

You've got me beat on GPA, I've only got a 3.82. Then again W&M (U.S. News ranked #31) is considered an 'academic bootcamp' by the nation's top law schools which typically award an extra +0.3 to GPA to level the scale during the admissions process.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:35 AM   #86
chumdawg
Guru

You've got me beat! Though surely you will share my pessimism that the SAT is a reasonably accurate filter of those with higher intelligence. It's just too easy.

Though, I took it in a different time (1990, I think it was.) I understand it's quite a bit easier now, and also incorporates a third portion, a writing portion, which is graded subjectively. I believe I have also heard there is a subject-specific element to it, which there didn't used to be.

Actually, I say you beat me...but I took the SAT at age 16. Depending on the timing, my feat may have been more impressive. I never took the LSAT or the Stanford-Binet, but I'm certain that my scores would have rivaled yours, if this thread is any indicator.

Edit: Check that. I think I was 17 when I took the SAT, now that I reconstruct it. But I do remember reading something about how they made it easier when they revised it. Something like there were 200 people nationwide who aced it back then, compared to 2,000 now. I may be wrong, though. Regardless, it's not important. You are obviously quite smart, even if they made the test easier. Still prone to errors, but smart indeed.

Last edited by chumdawg; 03-29-2006 at 02:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #87
orangedays
Platinum Member

I took the SAT quite a while before they added the subjective writing portion. The score for the new test is 2400. The SAT was easy when I was 14 and it's easy now, I only included it since most Americans have taken it (and not many people have been party to the other tests I have taken over the course of the past decade). It was either the SAT or nothing so I chose the lesser of the two evils.

But to your point, no, this thread is not an indicator. And in the interests of, well...my desire to go to sleep, I will not go into the deficiencies in your argument(s) again since I feel we have already debated the issue to death and you remain well-entrenched in your position and I in mine. Neither of us are budging, so what's the point.

Finally, and I'll keep this short in the interest of brevity, I can say with absolute certainty that no...your scores would not have rivaled mine. My current IQ (though disappointingly lower than it was when I was younger and brighter) puts me in the unique position where I can tell you that I am, in fact, certainly smarter than you. As a matter-of-fact, I can tell you that I am, statistically-speaking, probably smarter than anyone you know (or anyone you have ever met). If you so desire, you can learn more about the Stanford-Binet test here.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #88
chumdawg
Guru

Once again, OD! Once again, you show an unfortunate misunderstanding of statistics! It's how this debate got started in the first place...
Old 03-29-2006, 02:57 AM   #89
orangedays
Platinum Member

I've been unable to find an accurate scale I can link to on the internet. I have a pamphlet at home in Shanghai that covers pretty much what scores correlate to what level of intelligence and also gives a general idea of how many people correlate to which scores. I've come across some sites such as this one, but its accuracy is questionable.

Anyways, my sleepiness overwhelms my ...anger? It wasn't really anger, my disappointment I guess that you would resort to a personal attack. This forum is about the Mavericks. Let's keep it that way in the future.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:59 AM   #90
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Chum, Dirk didn't struggle by any stretch of the imagination against Marion last year in the second round. He struggled in the first round, yes, but I honestly think that can be chucked up to a case of bronchitis, a rookie coach, and a team full of players that had never been to the playoffs.

Dude, you're right in that Cuban's gamble was that Nash would break down. And yes, he to date he hasn't done that. But truly, did ANYONE think he was going to break down last year? Or this year for that matter? I think the gamble was that Nash might break down when he's 34 or 35.

I also think it's a little sad that every Mav-fan that champions the Nash-era Mavs points to Dirk's injury in the WCF but makes absolutely no mention whatsoever of Chris Webber's virtually career-ending injury.

Let me put this very plainly. 2003 Kings > 2003 Mavs.

Is that a fact? Of course not, it's my opinion, which I know many will dispute. But my side of the debate is most certainly not without merit. The Kings were deeper, better defensively, had something that sort of resembled an inside presense, and were every bit as explosive offensively. Not to mention that the Nash-era Mavs were thoroughly, completely, totally, and undeniably owned by Lakers for several years. The Kings, as you already pointed out, gave the Lakers all they could handle. The Spurs? Well they beat the Lakers. I'm almost certain that if the Mavs ever met the Lakers in the playoffs, it would've been another 4-1 exit for the Mavs.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #91
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Once again, OD! Once again, you show an unfortunate misunderstanding of statistics! It's how this debate got started in the first place...
According to the site that I cited in my earlier post, an IQ of 172 correlates to a hit-rate of 1:1,759,737.

In the literature that I received with my test, I remember the number being slightly lower - more along the lines of 1:950,000. Assuming my memory serves me correctly, that would make me one of the 6,315 smartest people in the world. I welcome you to take the test and see whether you are one of those people.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:20 AM   #92
chumdawg
Guru

There are several problems with your claim, OD, that not only are you "smarter" than me, but that you are also "smarter" than anyone I know. The first problem is that anyone who is at all versed in intelligence tests realizes what manifest limitations they have. The fact that you subscribe to the results blindly paints you as something of an intellectual masturbater, if you will allow me that liberty with words.

But the most damning thing is your unequivocal claim that no one else you might meet on d-m.com, or someone that person knows, would match your intellectual prowess. You made a bold claim that this certainly could not be the case. If you were quite as smart as you would like to be, you would know that you could never make such a bold claim, as little information as you have to go on.

That's why your post is masturbatory (again, with the perhaps made-up word) and why you are spry but have a lot to learn.

For what it's worth, I'm positive I would match you on the Stanford-Binet, and if not I'm certain I know one or two people who could. Be careful how strong the limb is you step out on.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:23 AM   #93
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Good god, this thread has really gone down the shitter. Can we try to stick to basketball, please?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:27 AM   #94
orangedays
Platinum Member

Strong enough to welcome you to attempt the test. Otherwise your claims have no basis. None.

Please read up on the Stanford-Binet before you criticize it with cute but puerile words that reveal more about you than you realize.

I am glad that you are positive. Again, I welcome you to take the test. And ask your bright friends (perhaps they've taken it already).

Until then, you can argue against the statistics (arguing against them now? such irony), but (unlike me), you have no limb to stand on.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:28 AM   #95
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
Good god, this thread has really gone down the shitter. Can we try to stick to basketball, please?
I'm finished with this thread.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:33 AM   #96
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Strong enough to welcome you to attempt the test. Otherwise your claims have no basis. None.

Please read up on the Stanford-Binet before you criticize it with cute but puerile words that reveal more about you than you realize.

I am glad that you are positive. Again, I welcome you to take the test. And ask your bright friends (perhaps they've taken it already).

Until then, you can argue against the statistics (arguing against them now? such irony), but (unlike me), you have no limb to stand on.
Okay, genius. If there are 6,000 people alive who are as smart as you are, what are the odds that a person you ran into on a message board is either as smart as you are or knows someone who is? You said they were zero, so not only would I be interested in your answer to the question (I'm assuming you can derive it, but I'm growing increasingly skeptical), but I'm also interested in your explanation why it doesn't equal zero.

I will leave you with that, grasshopper.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #97
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure why some people feel the need to brag about their intelligence, especially on a board in which it has no relevance. SAT scores and such are a great way to measure some aspects of your intelligence but they do not measure all of them so lets not get into why using every single way of measuring your intelligence is flawed. You guys want to argue about intelligence, go ahead, but as I recall this is a basketball thread, a basketball forum, and now this is a basketball post. So if you would be kind enough, can we please just talk about how terrible Phoenix has been lately?

SO with that said... we won't see Jersey in the playoffs, no way! And if the Kings get into the 7th seed we won't see the Suns either... hehe. But I think i'd rather have the Kings play the Spurs while we handle the Grizz (yeah im thinking thats who it will be, scary though). We'd still probably see the Spurs but I think SAC would take them to maybe 6 games whereas LAL... well.. I dunno... 4? I guess we'll see how accruate that is when SA and LAL play tonight, I know Kobe stole one from them a while ago but in a playoff atmosphere I don't think even he can do it.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #98
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
I'm not sure why some people feel the need to brag about their intelligence, especially on a board in which it has no relevance. SAT scores and such are a great way to measure some aspects of your intelligence but they do not measure all of them so lets not get into why using every single way of measuring your intelligence is flawed. You guys want to argue about intelligence, go ahead, but as I recall this is a basketball thread, a basketball forum, and now this is a basketball post. So if you would be kind enough, can we please just talk about how terrible Phoenix has been lately?

SO with that said... we won't see Jersey in the playoffs, no way! And if the Kings get into the 7th seed we won't see the Suns either... hehe. But I think i'd rather have the Kings play the Spurs while we handle the Grizz (yeah im thinking thats who it will be, scary though). We'd still probably see the Spurs but I think SAC would take them to maybe 6 games whereas LAL... well.. I dunno... 4? I guess we'll see how accruate that is when SA and LAL play tonight, I know Kobe stole one from them a while ago but in a playoff atmosphere I don't think even he can do it.
Thread was dead for over two days before you dug it up. Try and stay in context.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #99
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^^^We just heard from a brilliant human being. I mean, obviously.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:57 PM   #100
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
^^^^^^We just heard from a brilliant human being. I mean, obviously.
Haha...aw man, even U2 got a shot in. Everyone's giving me a hard time these days .
Old 03-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #101
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread sucks
Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #102
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

If you call dead 5 threads down from the top SURE why not...

edit: but fine, let it die then

Last edited by Tokey41; 03-31-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:21 PM   #103
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha... I haven't really been keeping up with the board much over the last couple of weeks, but I still can't believe I missed a standardized-testing bruhaha like this one. In my day, I've posted some pretty good test scores myself, but that doesn't always buy you the new Cadillac...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 03-31-2006 at 11:34 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #104
chumdawg
Guru

Hell, post 'em up, Evil. It might bolster my claim to OD that when he visits dallas-effin'-mavs.com, he isn't necessarily mingling in the general population...
Old 03-31-2006, 11:48 PM   #105
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hell, post 'em up, Evil. It might bolster my claim to OD that when he visits dallas-effin'-mavs.com, he isn't necessarily mingling in the general population...
Well, from what I've seen, nobody on this thread (or anywhere else) can beat my English PSAT or SAT score (the early 90's more difficult version), nobody's beaten me in LSAT (although I'm sure folks like KG and Dooby might have), and nobody can beat my currently non-posting, younger brother Mavinator in his Math SAT score (contemporaneous with OD).

My old friend, the Ape, is no slouch when it comes to standardized testing either, but I'll refrain from trying to remember and post any of his scores here...

Edit- Just for the hell of it, I'll also say that my two sisters scored nearly perfect scores on their SAT's (like me, the oldest, and like my brother, the youngest), and graduated from high school as valedictorian and salutatorian, respectively- unlike their drinking, lazy older and younger brothers), and the elder of my younger sisters has spent much of the last decade studying musicology at first Wellesley College and then Harvard University (after being a runner up for the Rhodes scholarship), and who is now about to begin teaching as a professor at Wellesley. My youngest sister spent her undergrad at Pomona, and last year, attended Kings College in London earning her masters in art history, and now has to choose between the art history programs of the five grad schools that accepted her this Spring, and she is also probably fated to become a professor at a good school...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-01-2006 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #106
chumdawg
Guru

That's balls-on.

I took those same tests you did in the early 1990's. I hear they made them a little easier, but I can't attest to that since I have not seen the current versions. For that matter, I'm not sure I could attest anyway, as the older versions were quite beatable in their own right.

I'm quite certain that the likes of KG and Dooby scored about as high as you can score on the LSAT, and of course I already knew that the likes of you and the Mad Ape doubtless scored the maximum or very near on any and all standardized tests thrown your way.

It's an intelligent community, the d-m.com. Even the non-posters have aced the standardized tests!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #107
orangedays
Platinum Member

I must say, I am very proud to be a member of the smartest board on the internet
Old 04-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #108
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
It's an intelligent community, the d-m.com. Even the non-posters have aced the standardized tests!
Sadly, my younger brother, 'the Mavinator', was once a much more dedicated poster than myself (That non-posting punk posted to the tune of 1200+ posts in the first year of this site's existence), but he has since strayed from the flock...

He did score a perfect on his math SAT though ...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-01-2006 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:32 AM   #109
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2
Sadly, my younger brother, 'the Mavinator', was once a much more dedicated poster than myself (to the tune of 1200+ posts in the first year of this site's existence), but he has since strayed from the flock...

He did score a perfect on his math SAT though ...
Yeah, but who didn't?

Tell that boy to come back!
Old 04-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #110
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, but who didn't?
No math perfect for me, CD. I really, really hate math ...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-01-2006 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:48 AM   #111
chumdawg
Guru

And no Verbal perfect for me, brutha. At the time I despised the Verbal. But now, then, I know what all that Math is worth--if you know what I mean.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #112
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Ass kickings turned into a kick ass win for the Suns tonite.

Although it must not be forgotten that Nash can still suck it.