Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #241
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I don't think our fans are that obnoxious.
do you think there is A SINGLE non-cowboys fan in the league that agrees with this statement?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #242
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Dude, let it go. Babe said it was a zone and Roy's fault on the radio coverage. A few minutes later the side line reported stated that Campo had a long discussion with Roy following that play, not Henry.

If you watch the replay, Roy is immediately looking at Henry and trying to explain why he was where he was, instead where he was supposed to be.

It was a zone coverage. It was Roy's fault. Let it go.
Well there's a coaching problem with this team than because everyone should be fired. What receiver in this league can't burn Roy or any safety? It just doesn't make any sense. And the fact remains Henry was trailing him on that play. You never answered why he was running right behind on on that play.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:03 PM   #243
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Well there's a coaching problem with this team than because everyone should be fired. What receiver in this league can't burn Roy or any safety? It just doesn't make any sense. And the fact remains Henry was trailing him on that play. You never answered why he was running right behind on on that play.
Because he was his responsibility. No one's denying that he beat Henry deep. But do you understand the role of a safety?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #244
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Because he was his responsibility. No one's denying that he beat Henry deep. But do you understand the role of a safety?
I'm well aware of what a safety does. And I got the impression you were giving Henry a pass because Roy was back there. There both were at fault and Henry was the main culprit is what I was saying. As a safety your position varies. You don't always play the role of safety net. Sometimes you guard fullbacks and tight ends. It varies.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM   #245
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm well aware of what a safety does. And I got the impression you were giving Henry a pass because Roy was back there. There both were at fault and Henry was the main culprit is what I was saying. As a safety your position varies. You don't always play the role of safety net. Sometimes you guard fullbacks and tight ends. It varies.
Obviously it does. But ont his particular play, based on the comments of people who know more about football than I do, and the actions of Campo after the play, and my own eye, this one's one Roy.

I'm just happy we won't ever have to have this conversation about Roy ever again.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 10-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #246
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Henry was lined up on Avery.
There was a play action to Jackson.
Jackson ran to the left flat to be Bulger's checkdown receiver.
Ellis let Jackson go because it wasn't his zone.
Henry had the short zone responsibility.
Roy had the deep responsibility.
Roy elected to cover the TE running a deep crossing route instead. (which was Hamlin's zone not his)
Thus, when Roy left his deep middle zone, the WR just ran right behind him a la S. Moss. (thank goodness we're not going to see this stupidity for the rest of 2008/2009 and maybe forever)

Why was Henry trailing behind Avery? I'm surprised he was even in the picture because although he has pretty good football instincts, he does not particularly have great speed. But, Henry is at fault here for one reason. Roy Williams was the safety on the play. Henry should know that EVERYTIME Roy is in the game, the opposing offense will challenge Roy deep... it's just how it is. So the fault falls on Henry because he overestimated Roy's skill and football IQ as a safety in the NFL. I wasn't surprised when it happened... it's been happening to Roy for the last 5 years. I was just more disappointed that he still hasn't learned that he is being targetted when he is the deep safety.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 10-20-2008 at 03:33 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #247
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Wade Phillips would be an amazing owner.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM   #248
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Wade Phillips would be an amazing owner.
Wade Phillips might be collecting unemployment in 2 weeks...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:22 PM   #249
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Obviously it does. But ont his particular play, based on the comments of people who know more about football than I do, and the actions of Campo after the play, and my own eye, this one's one Roy.

I'm just happy we won't ever have to have this conversation about Roy ever again.
I'd put money that Roy is back next year. What do you think they do with him? Cut or trade? The money to cut him would be so ridiculous that you might as well just keep him than screw up your salary cap.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:25 PM   #250
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You would think that someone died or on life-support or something. I keep flipping on the sports channels today and they keep talking about the uneasy feeling in Dallas.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 10-20-2008 at 04:26 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #251
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
You would think that someone died or something. I keep flipping on the sports channels today and they keep talking about the uneasy feeling in Dallas.
Frankly, if they give Wade Phillips the boot, I DON'T want to see Jason Garrett running this team... If we're pointing fingers at the coaching staff, I'd say Garrett's somewhere-between-gimmick-and-vanilla offensive schemes have more to do with our problems than anything else [fun drinking game: do a shot every time Garrett runs Barber on 2nd down (or 3rd-and-long) - you'll be drunk by the second quarter!]

Not that heads need to roll, but they certainly will if we end up 4-5 at the bye... (isn't Bill Cowher looking at getting back into coaching???)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 10-20-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #252
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I'd put money that Roy is back next year. What do you think they do with him? Cut or trade? The money to cut him would be so ridiculous that you might as well just keep him than screw up your salary cap.
I'm not as well versed in NFL salary cap issues as I am NBA, but Roy got an 11 Mil signing bonus in '06. He's had cap values of 4.6 and 3.5 the last two seasons. Assuming he has a cap value of over 3 mil this season, that wouldn't leave a whole lot of his guaranteed money left to accelerate if you cut him.

I have a hard time believing the Cowboys gave Roy the kind of contract that would make it hard to cut him three seasons into it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #253
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Frankly, if they give Wade Phillips the boot, I DON'T want to see Jason Garrett running this team... If we're pointing fingers at the coaching staff, I'd say Garrett's somewhere-between-gimmick-and-vanilla offensive schemes have more to do with our problems than anything else [fun drinking game: do a shot every time Garrett runs Barber on 2nd down (or 3rd-and-long) - you'll be drunk by the second quarter!]

Not that heads need to roll, but they certainly will if we end up 4-5 at the bye... (isn't Bill Cowher looking at getting back into coaching???)
Garrett does deserve some serious blame, for sure. The offense just has looked jumbled after the first game of the year or so. It seemed too easy in that game, or we got incredibly spoiled b/c of it and it's causing a lot of misconceptions right now. Either way, he is the offensive guru, so it's problem.

Cowher is going to want a lot of money, Jones will be up for it though. I can't think of a lot of other options though. Someone will come in though, Wade isn't going to be a fit for a whole lot longer.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 10-20-2008 at 04:44 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #254
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Garret has got to be absolutely kicking himself for not taking a head coaching job last season. Think he's going to be a hot commodity this offseason if we continue to underperform?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #255
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Garret has got to be absolutely kicking himself for not taking a head coaching job last season. Think he's going to be a hot commodity this offseason if we continue to underperform?
Were Baltimore and Atlanta the choices? Or is half of that wrong?
Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #256
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

I believe both teams wanted to talk to him, yes.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #257
BGMaverick9
Guru

yeah, I bet he'll be pretty pissed with missing out on those. Atlanta is the feel good story of the year and Matt Ryan looks like he's a star in the making. He's got help at the skill positions along side of him.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #258
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unemployment...ahh yes, tough days in America...tough days...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #259
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Call me crazy but I think Bill Billick might be a good fit with this team. He's often regarded as an offensive genius and led one of the most dominate defenses in NFL history for a while.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #260
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Call me crazy but I think Bill Billick might be a good fit with this team. He's often regarded as an offensive genius and led one of the most dominate defenses in NFL history for a while.
Jason Garrett is gonna be the next head coach of this team. That was the only reason he didn't leave this team and go to Baltimore.

On another note, did anyone hear that this team has finally decided to be more aggressive and get Ware and Ellis out of coverage? I just don't understand why after all this time you would decide to change it? Who's idea was it to have them in coverage from the get go? We didn't do it last year.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #261
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Well Garrett hasn't been looking so great with his offensive duties lately and I'm not sure he wouldn't be intimidated of stepping up to head coaching position of this team. For better or for worse everything that happens with the Cowboys is under a public microscope and I'd probably be more comfortable with someone like Billick or Cowher than the unproven Garrett.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #262
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Garrett is overrated.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #263
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Well Garrett hasn't been looking so great with his offensive duties lately and I'm not sure he wouldn't be intimidated of stepping up to head coaching position of this team. For better or for worse everything that happens with the Cowboys is under a public microscope and I'd probably be more comfortable with someone like Billick or Cowher than the unproven Garrett.
I'm not saying that Garrett has showed he should have the job but he's the highest paid coach on the team. I just think you made the commitment to make Garrett the head coach you gave him that 3 million dollar contract. Cowher wasn't even getting nowhere near that in Pittsburgh. Not sure the going rate for head coaches though. I'd imagine we'd have to give Cowher or Billick more than 3 million.

Quote:
Today 04:26 PM
alby
Garrett is overrated.
LOL. And when did you determine this? After 7 games or last season?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #264
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

well said.

Tags
cowboys