Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-17-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default which five players didn't show up?

Parcells' preparation paying off for Cowboys

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
September 17, 2003

AP - Sep 16, 5:55 pm EDT

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Before Bill Parcells began teaching the Dallas Cowboys how to react to obscure game situations, he told them a story about his tenure with the New England Patriots.

His first season there, Parcells prepared the Pats for the same scenarios. It wasn't until late in the season before they found themselves in one -- and they knew exactly what to do, pulling out a rare win and earning more faith in their new leader.

The Cowboys needed only two games.

As Monday night turned into Tuesday morning, Dallas pulled out a 35-32 overtime victory against the New York Giants in part by staying cool under pressure.

Given one play from their 40 with 11 seconds left, Quincy Carter completed a sideline pass to Antonio Bryant for 26 yards. Billy Cundiff then nailed a career-best 52-yard field goal to tie it at the end of regulation. He hit a 25-yarder in overtime for the victory, Parcells' first with the Cowboys.

``It's really ironic that I've been trying to emphasize these situations and a game so early in the season will come down to one of those very situations that we've spent a lot of time on,'' Parcells said Tuesday.

The in-game circumstances were remarkable enough. Dallas surprisingly led by 13 points at halftime and by 15 in the fourth quarter before falling behind 32-29.

Pulling out the victory on the road, against a division rival, on a Monday night, in a hostile environment -- one that happens to have been Parcells' home stadium for 11 of his previous 15 seasons as a head coach -- and with dozens of his former players there ... well, it was enough to almost make Parcells choke up.

Saying he didn't want to be too sentimental, Parcells made it clear how much it meant to him that Lawrence Taylor, O.J. Anderson, Mark Bavaro and several other players he led to two Super Bowls with the Giants stopped by the visiting locker room after the game.

``That's really why I coach, for that,'' Parcells said. ``When you see those kids you had and they're 45, 46 years old now and they're coming and hugging you, saying, `Hey, go do your work. Get your job done,' it means a lot to you. It makes you feel special.''

The emotions were broken when he got to the team bus, clicked on his cell phone and listened to about eight messages. All were congratulatory, though most aren't fit for print.

``Friendly obscene,'' he described them, adding they were hilarious.

Later Monday, Bob Knight called to praise a rookie for a heady play during crunch time. When Carolina offensive coordinator Dan Henning phoned, the former Parcells assistant skipped hello and went straight to the Xs and Os behind the pass to Bryant.

``He just called the play the way we call it in the huddle,'' Parcells said.

Players were off Tuesday and won't practice Wednesday. They'll meet, though, and they're sure to hear about more negatives than positives, such as blowing a lead for a second straight game, with the defense getting pushed around in both. And the fact Cundiff was used so much means the offense was stopped short on too many drives.

Parcells also said there were about five players who ``didn't show up,'' and he plans to meet with each of them.

``We've got some things we've got to get fixed this week,'' Parcells said. ``Because if we don't get it fixed, we're going to have a lot of trouble.''

Parcells said it's too early to know whether this game will prove to be a turning point. Still, the timing is good as Dallas has a bye this weekend, which means more time to savor the victory.

``It's a lot easier to talk to your team in a critical way when the sensitivity level is lower, which it is now, because no one is responsible for losing,'' he said. ``You can talk more frankly and more adamantly and more candidly without worry of offending people. ... Coming off a good win enhances your ability to make those points without finger-pointing.''

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2003, 08:30 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

- Parcells also said there were about five players who ``didn't show up,'' and he plans to meet with each of them. -

obviously, they literally showed up..but which five players do you think he's calling out?

guesses?

Roy Williams
Woody
Toby Gowin

any others?
i can't think of anyone on the offensive side... Adams had a couple of penalties,..so possibly him
Old 09-17-2003, 08:35 AM   #3
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Witten perhaps, though he did have at least one nice catch if I recall?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:37 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: which five players didn't show up?

Hard to imagine a punter just going through the motions. I think Gowin just sucked. As far as the five, he sighted them for lack of effort. It's hard to tell without watching the film. I think Ogbogu may be one. Parcells mentioned later in the press conference that he needs more from him.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:49 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

i think witten had a decent all around game..can't imagine him being one..
Old 09-17-2003, 08:56 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<u>The Five</u>
Williams
Adams
Gowin
Glover
Nguyen

Old 09-17-2003, 09:01 AM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

and possibly Hunter. he sure did look like he was going through the motions on that TD he gave up.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:06 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

good list KG..i forgot about nguyen. he missed a huge tackle late in regulation AND was nowhere to be seen through the rest of the game. other than the pick, you didn't hear much from the linebackers at all. but, run defense was solid, so they must have done something right.

glover, well, he's doubled so much that it's difficult for me to put alot of blame on him. but the guy's a stud. you do expect him to make some plays regardless.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe Hambrick also. But otherwise, KG's list looks good.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

hambrick has received nothing but praise from the media and coach parcells for his performance on monday..so i don't think it's him
Old 09-17-2003, 09:33 AM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Flozell for sure.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 09:59 AM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Just211, don't think you can really blame Hunter. I thought he played fairly well overall. He should be our 4th corner and will be again after Ross gets back (against the Jets? Knock on wood...). 4th corners get beat on occasion.

I didn't include Hambrick because I don't think the guy has all that much to bring. Sure, he's got quite a bit of physical talent, but that's about it. If Parcells turns him into a legitimate starting RB, I really will believe he's a miracle worker.

Nguyen is on my list because any LB that gets run over by Tiki Barber didn't show up. No offense to Tiki, who is a really nice RB, but he's not a power runner by any stretch of the imagination.

As for Glover, I realize he gets doubled a lot, but he was supposed to be an All-Pro type tackle, and those guys are supposed to show up every now and again and make plays, especially against inexperienced lines. I could understand if he was lining up against an All-Pro center and guard and THEN got shut out. But he wasn't.

Old 09-17-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Flozell for sure.
Will there be a game this season where Flozell can consistently keep his man from getting penetration? Will there be a game this season where Flozell doesn't get called for holding? Flozell has a knack for killing drives with his inopportune (and usually stupid) holds.

If the Hotel is going to protect Quincy's blindside, he needs to get in the game.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:18 AM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

kg, i agree with most of what you said..but, when it comes to hambrick, i think most of the credit has to go with the giants. the cowboys looked like a team that could possibly be a very good running team after week one (especially the first half).
i think the giants game planned to stop the run. for the most part, they did. i don't put most of that on hambrick...i just give credit to the giants for the most part.

now, do i think he's a stud running back? not by any stretch of the imagination. but i do believe that's he serviceable
Old 09-17-2003, 11:27 AM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I'll give Hambrick the benefit of the doubt, but if he continues to get 20+ carries per game, he can't complain if he doesn't earn the job by the end of the year.

Old 09-17-2003, 11:33 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

sure..of course. completely understandable.

this season is about finding out who can play and who can't. there's no reason to keep a mediocre troy hambrick around if that's what he turns out to be.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:58 AM   #17
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I hate Flozell. I nearly died when we gave him the franchise tag. Incredible for a perennial underachiever.

Do you remember last year's last game against the Skins? Flozell's "play" in that game was literally the worst I've ever seen-- just a complete lack of effort. He's half-assed, useless and lazy. Ugh.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:02 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
I hate Flozell. I nearly died when we gave him the franchise tag. Incredible for a perennial underachiever.

Do you remember last year's last game against the Skins? Flozell's "play" in that game was literally the worst I've ever seen-- just a complete lack of effort. He's half-assed, useless and lazy. Ugh.
Unfortunately, there are a few players who are lax on this team and who fit this description. Good call though S&D.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:40 PM   #19
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
<u>The Five</u>
Williams
Adams
Gowin
Glover
Nguyen
Very good list. Glover needs to contribute more than one ast. Dat was completely underwhelming. And Gowin was terrible. Adams was there I guess but I don't remember him doing anything.

I thought Williams tried as hard as he could - he just had a bad game.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:43 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

i think williams tried hard..but he has to be smarter..can't afford to get beat deep..bite for fakes

but, he'll bounce back
Old 09-17-2003, 04:00 PM   #21
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Coakley (Did he even play?)
Nguyen ( Quiet.)
Gowin ( Got lucky on alot of punts but they were horrible. He needs the same talk that Bill gave Billy.)
ROY (His positivity was very quiet. All I heard all game was what he did bad.)
Pete Hunter (Young cb. Showed it.)

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:02 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Nguyen ( Quiet.)
Gowin ( Got lucky on alot of punts but they were horrible. He needs the same talk that Bill gave Billy.)
Roy Williams did have a sub-par game. But that lick he put on Shockey was alot of fun to watch.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:05 PM   #23
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Nguyen ( Quiet.)
Roy Williams did have a sub-par game. But that lick he put on Shockey was alot of fun to watch.

I nearly forgot about that hit. Wasn't it Tony Dixon though?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:08 PM   #24
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Williams.. but I don't have Tivo or anything so I can't be for sure. Pretty sure it was Williams. I think I remember Madden questioning whether Williams was paying back Shockey for the homo comments.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:37 PM   #25
Murphy3
Guru

i think it was dixon
Old 09-17-2003, 04:39 PM   #26
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Dixon.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:47 PM   #27
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

I definitely agree with kgs list, those are my five for sure.