Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-06-2003, 01:34 PM   #41
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Trade Walker....

"the big Three" have peaked (except Dirk obviously), Finley might even be regressing because his athleticism is the very thing that made Finley, Finley . . . and Nash is 29 and his career has already been injury riddled! Whats best for the Mavs is to sell high (which means moving players before they regress to far) . . . however it takes more than a measly 5 games to be able to have a valid opinion one way or another!
Old 11-06-2003, 01:40 PM   #42
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"the big Three" have peaked (except Dirk obviously), Finley might even be regressing because his athleticism is the very thing that made Finley, Finley . . . and Nash is 29 and his career has already been injury riddled! Whats best for the Mavs is to sell high (which means moving players before they regress to far) . . . however it takes more than a measly 5 games to be able to have a valid opinion one way or another!
To be honest, I don't think the 'big 5' will ever gel the way that Nellie intended. I honestly think that it's foolish to have this many top notch scoring options on one team especially when all of them are average defenders at best. What will happen? The team will often look out of sync and the better options will sometimes struggle to get shots even when they're desperately needed. Plus, the team will just continue to struggle defensively until Nellie decides that it's 'ok' to play players such as Bradley.

I didn't think this team would gel like Nellie intended before the season, and I don't think so now. However, as far as trades go, I do believe it's a little early to decide who fits and who doesn't. But, if someone knocks you off your feet with a great offer, it's not too early to pull the trigger.

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:48 PM   #43
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i agree with most of that as much as i hate to admit it
Old 11-06-2003, 03:26 PM   #44
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Good post murph.

The thing that will be the hardest for the team to work out IMO is when a player is cold early. Normally with 2 or 3 scorers they have a chance to shoot themselves out of it. But with FIVE options the cold player is not as likely to get the shots they need to get out of the slump. Take Dirk last night. If he had another 10 shots who can say he wouldn't have hit 7 of them? But because he struggled early other people took his shots.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #45
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The thing that will be the hardest for the team to work out IMO is when a player is cold early. Normally with 2 or 3 scorers they have a chance to shoot themselves out of it. But with FIVE options the cold player is not as likely to get the shots they need to get out of the slump. Take Dirk last night. If he had another 10 shots who can say he wouldn't have hit 7 of them? But because he struggled early other people took his shots.
I think you're correct with your statement. But, I believe there's an issue equally as important to possibly watch out for. With 5 options, the hot player could end up not getting enough looks. How often did it occur last year with 4 options to where Dirk or Fin would be on fire but couldn't get the ball? That issue will only be magnified adding a 5th top scoring option.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:30 PM   #46
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I believe with more playing time together, each guy will get to know how each player wants to score. Case in point, Stockton knew exactly how Malone wants to be fed down low or on the wing to make his shot. Walker is already starting to figure out how to feed Nowitzki. As the season goes on, I have no doubt that this team will start to gel (I know the hated word) offensively.

I am more concerned about their defense. Will they ever figure out how to defend in the zone? Can the 'Big 5' stop anyone? There is where my doubts lie.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:38 PM   #47
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Good post Murph,

That was the message I was trying to convey with this thread, but I guess I didn't use the right words when creating it.

Another problem that might occur is more pressure to make your shots because if you get cold early then you probably will get overlooked later on in the game especially if other players have it going. When before the player with the best look takes the shot. To throw one more problem into the mix this team was built around the big 3 plus a 4th scoring option, and role players who didn't care about how many minutes they played or if they started or came off the bench. How many players can you count that fit that description vs. last season.

I miss Reja Bell or Adrian Griffin coming off the bench...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 05:02 PM   #48
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

Well, SOMEBODY or a couple of somebodies will be shipped off by the deadline to aqcuire some of the best roleplayers around, and a big man. Thats why the walker, and jamison trades were great even though it might not be immediately obvious in the win column
Old 11-06-2003, 06:19 PM   #49
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

My main problem is when Walker does pass the ball to anyone in the paint they never finish. I don't know if it is becuase they are too soft or what but they don't go aggressive with the ball at all.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:23 PM   #50
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nicky31
I know that is early in the season, but I don't know how many shots A. Walker took away from D. Nowitzki last night. A. Walker is trying to take Dirk's role on this team, and it's making me sick. In my opinion he has thrown our starting 5 spots out of wack. Him being the starting PF for this team makes me sick because your saying he is a more dependable PF than Nowitzki, and that's insane... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I love what Nellie has done with this team, but he has gone away from the core of this team the BIG 3...

Any possible trade senarios for Walker to get a defensive player inside the paint because that should be a bigger concern for this team in my opinion?

I nominate this post for "The Dumbest Thread in D-M.com History". Walker is playing great ball. Him and Jamison are some of the only positives i've seen so far this season. You have Finley not shooting well at all. You have Dirk not rebounding the ball. You just lost Nash to an injury. Things just keep getting worse but the reason i'm not posting stupid trade propasals is that I think this will all change when the Mavs get a chance to jel. Mavs fans thought that when Nellie said this team needs time to jel he was just kidding himself. It is true and you can see the results in the Mavs game thus far.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:26 PM   #51
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
My main problem is when Walker does pass the ball to anyone in the paint they never finish. I don't know if it is becuase they are too soft or what but they don't go aggressive with the ball at all.
?
What type of 2pt percentages do Dirk and Jamison need?