Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-09-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default for fans of Bottle Rocket/Rushmore/The Royal Tenenbaums

wes anderson has another farcical journey ready to go this Christmas…..

check it out

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2004, 02:14 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: for fans of Bottle Rocket/Rushmore/The Royal Tenenbaums

kick arse
Old 09-09-2004, 06:36 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:for fans of Bottle Rocket/Rushmore/The Royal Tenenbaums

Owen Wilson and Bill Murray are two of my all time favorite actors. I cannot wait for this movie.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
kick arse
indeed...
Quote:
Murph: Owen Wilson and Bill Murray are two of my all time favorite actors. I cannot wait for this movie.
Murph gets three gold stars for having great taste in actors....they are two of the best things going in moives today. and Murray is one of the most underrated comedians of our time....sheer genius!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
kick arse
indeed...
Quote:
Murph: Owen Wilson and Bill Murray are two of my all time favorite actors. I cannot wait for this movie.
Murph gets three gold stars for having great taste in actors....they are two of the best things going in moives today. and Murray is one of the most underrated comedians of our time....sheer genius!
I still sometimes see Bill running on that bike/treadmill/whatever on Lost in Translation...

..........HELP.......

...........HELP.........

Damn that was a great movie!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #6
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

words cannot explain how pumped up i am...this is star wars-esque for me.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
I cannot wait for this movie either. I've been pretty siked since I found out about it last night when the alien posted this.....

.....but what you said is blasphemy.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:01 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Quote:
I cannot wait for this movie either. I've been pretty siked since I found out about it last night when the alien posted this.....
that, sir, depends entirely upon who your god is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #9
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
Quote:

ok- it's lotr-esque...how about that?

Old 09-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
ok- it's lotr-esque...how about that?
You better stop this, or I will have a coronary. Well, actually that depends on whether you are referring to the movies or the book....

edit: dang formatting problems.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
XERXES
Diamond Member

should i say achtung baby-esque, instead?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

That's it!!!! I must now go puke and scream in a silent place so as to not bring attention to myself.

(Now if you had said War-esque... them's fightin' words)
Old 09-09-2004, 12:39 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Murray is one of my faves, but Owen Wilson? He's overrated at best and incredibly annoying at worst.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 12:47 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

unless you actually appreciate his subtle humor and genius "everyman" drawl....when he declairs "I'm invincible!" at the end of Shanghai Noon, I crack up every time!

Old 09-09-2004, 12:50 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
unless you actually appreciate his subtle humor and genius "everyman" drawl....when he declairs "I'm invincible!" at the end of Shanghai Noon, I crack up every time!
subtlety is something Wilson has never been connected with before you said it.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

subtle humor as opposed to the out of the box and over the top comedy stylings of say a Carrey or Robin WIlliams.....he makes me laugh without grabbing his butt or running around like a speed addict with multiple personalities...
don't Erica, its ok with me for you to be wrong on Owen Wilson [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2004, 01:43 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Didn't Owen Wilson co-write and co-produce Royal Tennenbaums and Bottle Rockets as well as star in both? If so, he deserves to be in the comedy hall of fame.

He's certainly not "overrated at best".
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #18
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Owen Wilson is comic gold!!!

His nose might be as large as some countries, but the guy can act his ass off!!!

Edited for spelling!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:48 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

He annoyed me at first.... but now I look for movies with him in it. Tenenbaums was the one that sealed the deal for me in regards to his greatness. Well that, and Meet the Parents.

"Oh your jewish? thats so cool. so was JC"
Old 09-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
I think you're watching the wrong Owen Wilson movies. Did you see him in "Bottle Rocket?" Subtle genius from Wilson in that movie.

I love the distant look in his eye when he says "On the run from Johnny Lawwww. It ain't no trip to Cleveland."

BTW, thanks for posting this, Sike. I can't wait to watch it. Not only Wilson and Murray, but Jeff Goldblum to boot!

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:10 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
subtle humor as opposed to the out of the box and over the top comedy stylings of say a Carrey or Robin WIlliams.....he makes me laugh without grabbing his butt or running around like a speed addict with multiple personalities...
don't Erica, its ok with me for you to be wrong on Owen Wilson [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Just because he's more subtle than Robin "hairball and cocaine" Williams and Jim "I'm a whore for humor" Carrey, doesnt mean he's subtle.

Hokey, faux-dumb, deadpan does not = subtle. But we all have our own sense of humor. Maybe Wilson is a Texas thing.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:13 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I think you're watching the wrong Owen Wilson movies. Did you see him in "Bottle Rocket?" Subtle genius from Wilson in that movie.
Maybe...

I've seen Tenenbaums and it mostly annoyed me, but I absolutely adored Rushmore and Lost in Translation.
The previews for all the Jackie Chan/Owen Wilson adventures annoyed me thoroughly, but I never saw bottle rocket.

Thats my experience with Wilson
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #23
sike
The Preacha

Erica is going out with denile guns blazing... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I love the line in Royal Ts "why would someone write that someone is not a genius....Do you think I'm a genius?....(in despair) you didn't even have to think about it....." that is subtle genius!

Old 09-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe...
I've seen Tenenbaums and it mostly annoyed me, but I absolutely adored Rushmore and Lost in Translation.
The previews for all the Jackie Chan/Owen Wilson adventures annoyed me thoroughly, but I never saw bottle rocket.
Thats my experience with Wilson
well now I understand your view Erica, you really have not seen Owen Wilson movies...(other than RT)....it is an opinion based on movie trailers and comercials...if you give him a chance your opinion might change....

Old 09-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #25
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

I have not seen Bottle Rocket or Rushmore, but it's my goal now to see them both this weekend. Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorites. It is pure genius.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #26
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
I have not seen Bottle Rocket or Rushmore, but it's my goal now to see them both this weekend. Royal Tenenbaums is one of my all time favorites. It is pure genius.
I think Murray is better in Rushmore than in Lost in Translation!.....and that is saying a lot!...yes my brother u2.....go see them as soon as possible!

Old 09-09-2004, 06:15 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Erica, your tastes are sorely lacking at best and unfortunate at worst. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Of course, I'm only joking. I have nothing but respect for your opinions on movies and actors.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

For Owen Wilson fans, check out The Minus Man. That could be his best movie to date although Bottle Rocket gives it a run for the money.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:45 PM   #29
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so sorry but I have to let this out.

Lost in Translation was HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. I H-A-T-E-D it! I know that will probably leave me with the stigma of not being sophisticated enough to "get it" - I don't care. I can't like a movie just because I think I'm supposed to. Sophia Coppola is the most undeserving Oscar winner ever. It was an incredible waste of my time. I rather spend two hours watching Pootie Tang. Billy Murray can suck it (sorry doc).

On a lighter note, Owen Wilson is a joy to watch.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 06:46 PM   #30
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I didn't like Wilson in the first Jackie Chan Western at first, but after seeing it several times again on TV and other films such as Zoolander, I like him, because he is a one-of-a-kind actor, he has his own style, he plays a cool softie, and he's the 'Master of the Walk Off'...

I like him team up with Ben Stiller, another guy I didn't like at first. However, my favorite present time comedian is Martin Lawrence (I can watch Blue Streak over and over again without getting tired of his humor)

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:44 PM   #31
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: mary

Lost in Translation was HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. I H-A-T-E-D it! I know that will probably leave me with the stigma of not being sophisticated enough to "get it" - I don't care. I can't like a movie just because I think I'm supposed to. Sophia Coppola is the most undeserving Oscar winner ever. It was an incredible waste of my time. I rather spend two hours watching Pootie Tang. Billy Murray can suck it (sorry doc).

I loved Lost in Translation. I fully expected to dislike the movie going in simply because I was supposed to like it. However, it was nothing short of being absolutely spectacular. As for Bill Murray, he is quite simply one of the most talented entertainers of our time.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #32
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:

Ugh... You have ruined my football night!
Old 09-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #33
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan

It just so happens that "ruining Male23Dan's football night" was on my TTD List.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:33 PM   #34
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan

It just so happens that "ruining Male23Dan's football night" was on my TTD List.
It certainly wouldn't suprise me!
Old 09-09-2004, 11:40 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Wilson says he and Wes have ideas about future collaborations, "including a Western and a movie with an Ocean setting." Neither will be conventional.
Has there been a Wes Anderson Western movie? Shanghai Knights was done by David Dobkin and Shanghai Noon was done by Tom Dey. Sounds like the next flick after the ocean one, will be a western.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:42 PM   #36
sike
The Preacha

to answer you question...no Anderson has only three films under belt: Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums(sp)....and the up coming "the life aquatic"

Old 09-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #37
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Okay, I've now seen all the Wes Anderson movies.

Two things:

1. Now I can't wait even more for Aquatic Life.

2. You think it would have been more appropriate for Jason Schwartzman to play Bill Murray's son in this new movie?

3. Is Owen Wilson really this talented? He co-wrote both Bottle Rocket and Rushmore AND Royal Tenenbaums?

okay that was three things. But those were some great movies.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:19 AM   #38
XERXES
Diamond Member

[quote]
Okay, I've now seen all the Wes Anderson movies.

Two things:

1. Now I can't wait even more for Aquatic Life.

2. You think it would have been more appropriate for Jason Schwartzman to play Bill Murray's son in this new movie?

3. Is Owen Wilson really this talented? He co-wrote both Bottle Rocket and Rushmore AND Royal Tenenbaums?

okay that was three things. But those were some great movies.[quote]

Rushmore is my all time favorite...

Old 09-13-2004, 11:28 AM   #39
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

Rushmore is my all time favorite...
these are O.R. scrubs..........OH, ARE they?...genius!...and when Murray blocks that little kid on the playground.....that is the funniest basketball moment on film.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #40
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Max Fischer: So tell me Curly, how do you know Miss Cross?
Dr: We went to Harvard together.
Max Fischer: Oh that's great. I wrote a hit play and directed it, so I'm not sweating it either.