Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default President Condi

To stop Hillary, draft Condi
As she tours the continent after her Senate confirmation, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is like a rock star — her every movement, her every meeting covered by an adoring media.

America’s first black female secretary of state is doing in public what she has always done in private — speaking frankly about America’s priorities and the realities of the post-Cold War world. As she jokes with German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder, loosening up his dogmatic anti-American policies, lectures Russia about freedom and warns Israel of tough decisions ahead, one thing is obvious: A star is being born.

Traveling without the entourage customary for secretaries of state, on time, mapping out in advance her first six months of travel, Rice is a new force in American politics.

As the Republican Party casts about for a viable presidential candidate in 2008 to keep Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) out of the White House, attention will inevitably focus on Rice, the woman who may stand between Clinton and the presidency.

Since Bush’s success in Iraq has laid the basis for negotiation in the Middle East, there is every prospect that Rice may preside over a diplomatic triumph in catalyzing the discussions between Sharon and Abbas. The firm American stand in Iraq will also make more likely success in Korea and Iran, all of which would add to the prestige of Rice.

The political fact is that a Rice candidacy would destroy the electoral chances of the Democratic Party by undermining its demographic base. John Kerry got 54 percent of his vote from three groups that, together, account for about a third of the American electorate: African-Americans, Hispanics and single white women. Rice would cut deeply into any Democrat’s margin among these three groups and would, most especially, deny Clinton the strong support she would otherwise receive from each of them.

Rice’s credentials for a candidacy are extensive and will grow throughout her tenure at the State Department. As former chancellor of Stanford University, she would have much in common with the pre-political careers of Woodrow Wilson and Dwight Eisenhower, presidents of Princeton and Columbia universities. Her service as national security adviser during a war and her current efforts as secretary of state demonstrate her ability to handle crises and to conduct herself with dignity and impact on the world stage.

As a social conservative and deeply religious person, she would face no bar in winning the votes of the Christian right, so crucial to winning the Republican nomination. Unlike former New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani (R) and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) — both of whom could probably win in November — she would be very attractive to the pro-life, anti-gun-control, anti-affirmative-action base of the GOP.

America longs to put the period on the disgraceful chapter in our nation’s history that began when the first slave arrived at Jamestown, Va., more than 400 years ago. We also want to send a message to every girl, and every African-American or Hispanic baby, that there is no ceiling and that you can rise as far as your ability will carry you. The day Condi Rice is sworn in as president, regardless of the fate of her administration, that message and the punctuation of our history of racism will be obvious.

Of course, she isn’t running — nor is there any indication that she is harboring thoughts of a candidacy. But as her visibility increases, so will her viability. It may just be possible to draft Condi into the race. A real presidential draft movement hasn’t happened since 1952, when Republicans urged Eisenhower to get into the race. A draft-Condi movement seems almost antiquated in this era of ambitious and self-promoting candidates, but it may well fill a deep need in the electorate to vote for someone who is running in response to a genuine call of the people.

Condi Rice is a work in progress. Her rise has been impelled by her merits and achievements rather than any efforts on her part to curry favor in the media. She is still working and still progressing. But keep your eye on this political star. It is rising and may one day be ascendant.

Morris is the author of Rewriting History, a rebuttal of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s (D-N.Y.) memoir, Living History.

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: President Condi

It would be a paved road for Hillary, or other, to win the presidency, despite the opinion of Morris.

Quote:
The political fact is that a Rice candidacy would destroy the electoral chances of the Democratic Party by undermining its demographic base. John Kerry got 54 percent of his vote from three groups that, together, account for about a third of the American electorate: African-Americans, Hispanics and single white women. Rice would cut deeply into any Democrat’s margin among these three groups and would, most especially, deny Clinton the strong support she would otherwise receive from each of them.
How many votes would Hillary steal from the Republican "demographic base"? Many more I think. Besides, it'd be naive to think that just because Rice "represents" minorities -which she in reality does not- , she would get their votes.

Condoleezza is not black or woman, much less hispanic; she is beyond gender or race, she is Condoleezza. Her nomination would assure a change of wing, thankfully and sanely.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of
Default RE:President Condi

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
It would be a paved road for Hillary, or other, to win the presidency, despite the opinion of Morris.

Quote:
How many votes would Hillary steal from the Republican "demographic base"? Many more I think. Besides, it'd be naive to think that just because Rice "represents" minorities -which she in reality does not- , she would get their votes.

Condoleezza is not black or woman, much less hispanic; she is beyond gender or race, she is Condoleezza. Her nomination would assure a change of wing, thankfully and sanely.
I am not sure you realize how very much Republicans seem to dislike Hillary. The fact that she is female is nearly completely negated by the opinion most Republicans seem to have of her.

True, Condi may not get the votes of all minorities, but she'll get a good measure, I suspect.

I'd personally love it if Condi ran for president. She's everything I once dreamed I'd be.

edit: typo
Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

I think you should stick to Mexican politics Chiwas. Clearly you underestimate Condi's appreciation among the American public.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Considering the fact that there has been one President in the last century who was elected without ever having been a candidate for political office prior to their Presidential election, and that person being a WW2 hero, the propsect that Rice would be first the Republican nominee and second the voters selection is highly improbable.

The question that begs to be asked is why would the Republican Party need to go with a complete neophyte whose political beliefs are unknown? Is their bench that bare?
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

No. It is not. I just wanted to share the column to show that Condi is gaining some major respect. I imagine that you will see several "high profile-high power" candidates stepping up soon.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:17 PM   #7
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: Mavdog
Considering the fact that there has been one President in the last century who was elected without ever having been a candidate for political office prior to their Presidential election, and that person being a WW2 hero, the propsect that Rice would be first the Republican nominee and second the voters selection is highly improbable.

The question that begs to be asked is why would the Republican Party need to go with a complete neophyte whose political beliefs are unknown? Is their bench that bare?
Mavdog's exactly right regarding Condi's lack of political experience. Eisenhower was a special case for a number of reasons. Both parties tried to draft him to run, but the lonstanding joke was that Republicans offered better golf courses. Without political experience, she could easily get killed. Most first time polititicians that have won with no experience did so with special circumstances-money, celebrity, etc.

The other side is that longstanding theory is that if the GOP could take just an additional 10-20% of the black voting population, they'd win in a landslide.

But if Hillary runs (and she will) I will be mildly surprised if she loses. She has full support of her party. She can basically say and do whatever she wants without hurting her liberal credentials. So she can run towards the middle all she wants. She can basically sluff off all of Bill's negatives adn not alienate Bill. Look at the numbers, Hillary would likely win Arkansas. She could find more 10 electoral votes somewhere.

I don't think the GOP cupboard is bare. The problem is the opposite-too many possible candidates and no clear successor. Cheney won't run. Frist will; Newt might; Giulliani might; host of others.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #8
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I pray to GOD every night that Condi runs! There is NO doubt in my mind if she is the chosen one for the Republicans, the Democrats win hands down..
Old 02-09-2005, 05:18 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Somwhere in Wisconsin a village is looking for its' idiot.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:06 PM   #10
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Condi for president. are you kidding me?

Lets analyze this.

Condi was horrific in her previous job so what does Bush do? Promote her since she will agree with anything he says, aka a "yes person".

What has she done? nothing, all talk.

And when Boxer quoted condi, condi's response are you criticizing my credability, wow.

It's quite pathetic that the person with the highest approval rating(by far) and the only one with some sense in the white house was forced to leave since our amazing president wanted to keep the biggest joke of the last four years around(rumps). Than the president replaces him with someone who did pretty bad on her last job and had a low approval rating as well.

And even though Hillary is hated in some sounthern states for idiotic reasons she will still easily win just like any other democrat would if he/she ran since if Bush doesn't live up to his promises which is probbaly going to be the cause (half the debt, even though keep spending more, get out of iraq over and over and we're still there, etc). Might not see another republican win for another 20 years(something like in the 30s-50s) after this president is done destroying our country.

Quote:
I think you should stick to Mexican politics Chiwas. Clearly you underestimate Condi's appreciation among the American public.
lol, what appreciation? and most of the world see's it the same way chiwas see's it so yea.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #11
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"Somwhere in Wisconsin a village is looking for its' idiot."

Great comeback- and original too!!! Typical Drbio style...stale

Old 02-10-2005, 12:37 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

*Yawn*
Old 02-10-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

[/i]
"Somwhere in Wisconsin a village is looking for its' idiot."[/quote]

I am not the village idiot, but I know my politcal prowess has it's limits.

(I know that wasn't meant for me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] )

Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 AM   #14
reeds
Golden Member

"*Yawn*"

WOW- brilliant...classic dribio comeback..i see you havent lost a step

*Yawn*
Old 02-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Anyone see the irony in reeds weak ass retorts?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still trying to figure out if he was bs'ing when he talking about praying to GOD every day about anything?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I'm enjoying watching Condi clean up Colin Powell's mess.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
I'm still trying to figure out if he was bs'ing when he talking about praying to GOD every day about anything?
Genius.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #19
reeds
Golden Member

dude- you are one who should not mention god in any of your posts
Old 02-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #20
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

the title of this thread makes me laugh
Old 02-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #21
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

In all seriousness, there are a lot of reasons Condi won't be an 08 Pres. Nominee- Although she might run in the primaries. Lack of experience and the fact that she is single will be hangups with lots of people - plus there will be some bassackward people hung up on her color. I do, however, think she will be a very very strong VP candidate...and that alone will help the Republicans take votes away from the Dems...

I, honestly would love for Hilary to run. It would be a republican dream come true. She is the Barbara Streisand of the political world. Her personality has alienated most Americans and will be seen as a polarizing force in the White House. It's ironic that many Dems see her as the "Great White Hope", b/c she personifies many of the issues handicapping the Dems. They won't admit it, but Republicans are licking their chops hoping she runs. Mark it down. It would be Walter Mondale Part Deux.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:57 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Couldn't agree more Xerxes. The Hildebeast could deliver another 4-8 years to the Republican party by just running. I lvoe it.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:40 PM   #23
reeds
Golden Member

FEINGOLD will be the next president...you heard it here first
Old 02-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #24
vinnieponte

Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #25
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

In regard to Rice....

Released: January 25, 2005
Bush 2nd Term Cabinet Getting Mixed Reviews; Rice Approval at 58%; Rumsfeld at 39%; New Zogby Poll Reveals

President Bush's picks for the top jobs in his second-term cabinet are getting mixed reviews from likely voters, with Secretary of State-designate Condoleezza Rice's nomination receiving the support of nearly six-in-ten Americans—while a majority disapprove of the job performance of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. The survey of 1004 likely voters was conducted from January 18 through 21, 2005, and has a margin of error of +/- 3.2 percentage points.

The poll finds that 58% approve of Rice's appointment as Secretary of State, replacing retired General Colin Powell. Additionally, a majority (53%) say they approve of the job Rice has done as National Security Advisor. Just three-in-ten (30%) say they disapprove of her appointment.

The poll contained less-positive news for Bush's Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld. The Secretary, whose job approval rating was 39%. Only one-in-ten respondents (10%) call Rumsfeld's job performance "excellent," while 29% say it is "good." A majority (54%) disapprove of his performance, with three-in-ten (30%) likely voters calling the Defense Secretary's performance on the job "poor."

"These numbers are certainly a verdict on the current status of the Iraq war," said pollster John Zogby. "A majority of likely voters are signaling their displeasure with Rumsfeld, though he remains popular with the most conservative voters in our poll—35% of this group rates Rumsfeld's job performance excellent."

The survey shows Secretary Rumsfeld's support to be strongest among those voters identifying themselves as conservative or very conservative; 61% of the former and 67% of the latter approve of Rumsfeld's performance. He scores no higher than 26% among other ideological subgroups. Rice, meanwhile, scores higher than Rumsfeld with every ideological group.

"Condoleezza Rice certainly is getting her political honeymoon," Zogby said. "She scores well with most demographics, though she fails to get a majority of moderates, and is not much better liked on the left than Rumsfeld. However, she's starting her job with the backing of six-in-ten Americans
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In regard to Hillary Clinton, here's a recent NY state poll. Her ratings are very impressive.

Hillary is winning over NYers, poll says
Clinton's approval rating has risen since she joined the Senate, as has the number who see her as trustworthy

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 10, 2005
ALBANY - Almost two-thirds of New York voters see Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) as honest and trustworthy, up from 45 percent who viewed her that way just before she was elected in 2000, an independent statewide poll reported yesterday.

The Quinnipiac University Polling Institute survey, like other recent statewide polls, also found the former first lady beating either former New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani or Gov. George Pataki in her expected bid for re-election next year.

Neither of the Republicans has shown any interest yet in the Senate race and all three of them are considered potential presidential contenders in 2008.

Among New York voters, 64 percent said Clinton is honest and trustworthy, while 30 percent said she is not. In a late September 2000 Quinnipiac poll, 45 percent of New York voters rated her honest and trustworthy.

At the time, 44 percent of New York voters said she was not honest and trustworthy.

The turnaround for Clinton also was reflected in her job approval rating - 65 percent in the new poll, an all-time high for her.

Her approval rating among New York voters was 38 percent five years ago.

In theoretical matchups for the 2006 Senate race, Clinton was ahead of Pataki, 61 percent to 30 percent, and leading Giuliani, 50 percent to 44 percent.

Giuliani was the GOP's original candidate against Clinton in the 2000 Senate race until he withdrew in the face of prostate cancer.

She went on to easily defeat the Republican replacement candidate, then-U.S. Rep. Rick Lazio.

"Remember when Senator Clinton took office four years ago? Her husband had just pardoned Marc Rich and the Clintons were accused of looting the White House furniture," said Maurice Carroll, director of the Hamden, Conn.-based polling institute. "Now? Two-thirds of New Yorkers says she's a good - and honest - senator."

The poll comes just two days after colleagues said conservative Republican operative Arthur Finkelstein is mounting an anti-Clinton "Stop Her Now" campaign aimed at beating the former first lady in the 2006 Senate race as a means of short-circuiting her possible presidential ambitions.

Quinnipiac's telephone poll of 1,218 registered voters was conducted Feb. 3-7 and has a sampling margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:04 PM   #26
vinnieponte

Old 02-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #27
reeds
Golden Member

wow- that is one scary looking woman
Old 02-12-2005, 12:51 PM   #28
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

I just read and knew that "Condi" was a Chevron's director for 10 years. If there was some trace of credibility, it is already gone.

This is a whole farce.