Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 10-24-2005, 09:48 PM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default So...wish me luck

I'm graduating in December (THANK GOD - my last graduation was in 1999. You do the math.) so I'm in the middle of my job search at the moment. Pretty much every job I've got a chance at, with no financial background, is in Arkansas. Arkansas is great and all, but I'm so ready to get back to Texas. So anyway, my only shot at getting to Dallas goes down this week. I already had a first interview with the OCC (that would be the office of the currency) a few weeks ago on campus. They're flying me down to Dallas Wednesday night and I'll come back home Friday. I am DYING to get this job. Good money, great benefits...and best of all...DALLAS! Basically, the only thing I'll have to do is pass a 75 question, multiple choice test about Finance/Accounting. Nervous? Yeah. Haven't had an accounting class in a couple of years [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Anyway...wish me luck. I wanna get to within driving distance of the Mavs SO BAD!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: So...wish me luck

I'll wish you good luck only if you change your name to Ocelot_Dallas. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Just kidding of course....best of luck to you.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:41 PM   #3
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

ark...do well!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:So...wish me luck

Good luck to ya man. I hope to be graduating in 3 years with a masters. HOPE.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

g'luck Oce. I've always wanted to work on a TV show. I don't see why you'd need accounting for that, though..

just kidding. oh, and early grats on the degree.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 PM   #6
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Haha...thanks for the well wishes guys. I think I'll need all the luck in the world to pass that test!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:26 AM   #7
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Good Luck Ocelot. I have my first CPA exam on Thursday, feverishly studying for it at the moment. You'll be right with the test, if somebody like me can get a degree in accounting and then get the CPA entry requirements, you'll have no problems with the test!

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Ark- my advice is to always answer "C"...the law of averages is on your side. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:09 AM   #9
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck ark.

If you get the job that means we will expect to see you at the site gatherings to watch games (which happen ALL the time).
Old 10-30-2005, 09:45 PM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. Things went pretty well. I really think I'd like the job. I won't know for a month or so if I got the job or not (100 people to choose from, 20 openings), but I actually think I did pretty well on the test. Those bastards lied, though. Said it would be an equal mix of finance/accounting questions. More like 85% accounting. Me no likey.

One thing sucks, though. If I get the job, I'd have to spend the first 6-8 months in Longview. I was so looking forward to Dallas.

I've got another interview with a Dallas consulting firm Tuesday morning...sounds interesting, better money.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

ocelot_longview has a nice ring to it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Longview isn't so bad. You could do a year there with no trouble. Unlike Arkansas, they have running water and indoor plumbing.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:15 PM   #12
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Yeah, I'm from the Longview area, so moving there wouldn't be too bad at all. Of course, being young and single, Longview isn't the most happening place out there. But I could stand it for a little while.

Then there's another possibility. 3M (one of those major worldwide companies that has offices 20 minutes from my campus) is encouraging me to go back to school for 13 more months and get my MBA. Basically, if I do that, I'll make $25,000 more my first year (average) than if I just have my BS.

Yet another thing to think about.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:58 PM   #13
Novice#41
Golden Member

Novice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to beholdNovice#41 is a splendid one to behold

Novice#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:34 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

You know...we have a damn fine executive MBA program here.

ocelot_baylor may sound the best of all. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

LOL - I doubt that I'd get into Baylor's program, but if I did, I definitely couldn't afford it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

The more and more I think about the prospect of going back to school for another 13 months, the more I start to realize how much I hate school as it is! I don't think I'll be doing the MBA thing unless someone flat-out guarantees me a job at the completion of the program making a considerable amount more money. Otherwise...screw it. I'm ready to grow up and get a real job.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #16
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Good luck to you. I know how hard the job hunt is. I'm sure you'll get one that you like & will make tons of money from. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And on the subject of hating school & not just wanting to get out. Give it a few months in the real world. I've been out 6 months & would kill for the good old days of waking up for classes at noon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Good luck to you. I know how hard the job hunt is. I'm sure you'll get one that you like & will make tons of money from. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

And on the subject of hating school & not just wanting to get out. Give it a few months in the real world. I've been out 6 months & would kill for the good old days of waking up for classes at noon. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
LOL. I've been out of college only slightly longer than ames ( [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] ) but I too miss those days. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 10:10 PM   #18
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

SHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! don't tell me that! ;-)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #19
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Had another interview Thursday morning with one of walmart's main vendors. Thought it went OKAY, but I got a call just now for a 2nd interview. Not my ideal situation, but at this point I'll definitely listen. The money's better than anything else I've interviewed for, though...so that's good (makes up for Arkansas' income tax a little).
Old 11-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #20
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Woo hoo! I just accepted a job offer from the OCC to be a bank examiner. I can't believe I actually passed that test!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #21
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of

Good Job Ocelot!!

Old 11-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Thanks Oz!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #23
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

good luck

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #24
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Congrats! That is awesome!

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #25
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Thanks Raef. One thing's for sure. I'll have a hard time studying for a huge test tomorrow AND going to sleep tonight. I can't stand still!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:09 PM   #26
Mrs.BigBalla

Mrs.BigBalla is on a distinguished road

Hey Ocelot, tell us more about your new position!! I'm dying to hear all your news.
Mrs.BigBalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #27
OzMavs
Platinum Member

I'm on my way to becoming an accountant, I got a Distinction in my first subject!!!

Old 12-11-2005, 05:17 AM   #28
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzMavs
I'm on my way to becoming an accountant, I got a Distinction in my first subject!!!
Hell yeah! Congrats Oz...hard work paying off, eh?!?!?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:26 PM   #29
OzMavs
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelot_ark
Hell yeah! Congrats Oz...hard work paying off, eh?!?!?
Yeah, it is just as hard as I thought it would be. But post-grad study is made easier with focus. Under-grad I had no idea what I wanted to do. Now I know what I want to do I and it makes a huge difference. I am turning average grades in to something better.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #30
ecenur

ecenur is on a distinguished road

Longview isn't so bad. You could do a year there with no trouble. Unlike Arkansas, they have running water and indoor plumbing.[/QUOTE]

I think Dallas has running water and indoor plumbing in every city. I have been to Arkansas many times and I currently am in Long view.
ecenur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #31
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

congrats man!
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenur View Post
Longview isn't so bad. You could do a year there with no trouble. Unlike Arkansas, they have running water and indoor plumbing.
I think Dallas has running water and indoor plumbing in every city. I have been to Arkansas many times and I currently am in Long view.[/QUOTE]

It's kinda odd that you have two posts and both are about plumbing.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote