Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #41
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
yes. Brian Williams is as partisan as Rush Limbaugh. That is a problem.
not sure if it is a problem, they are both in the entertainment business.

btw did you see either of palin's interviews with charles gibson or katie couric? they were all warm and fuzzy. no attacks from them either.

gibson and couric are in the entertainment business too.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #42
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
yes. Brian Williams is as partisan as Rush Limbaugh. That is a problem.
credibility, meet window.

Sorry dude, but that was plain and simple, a moronic statement.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #43
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo View Post
credibility, meet window.

Sorry dude, but that was plain and simple, a moronic statement.
Mavdog made the comparison. Then he continued it after I made this (what I thought was a) restatement in hyperbole.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM   #44
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

ok... fair enough, then
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #45
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:
Mavdog made the comparison. Then he continued it after I made this (what I thought was a) restatement in hyperbole.
the question is what exactly was your point in putting forth a brian williams interview (actually all you posted was a picture) with obama in regard to the subject of "attacks"?

are you actually saying that there have not been any "attacks" on obama?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #46
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124700261179807839.html

Quote:
This situation developed because Alaska's transparency laws allow anyone to file Freedom of Information Act requests. While normally useful, in the hands of political opponents FOIA requests can become a means to bog down a target in a bureaucratic quagmire, thanks to the need to comb through records and respond by a strict timetable.

Similarly, ethics investigations are easily triggered and can drag on for months even if the initial complaint is flimsy. Since Ms. Palin returned to Alaska after the 2008 campaign, some 150 FOIA requests have been filed and her office has been targeted for investigation by everyone from the FBI to the Alaska legislature. Most have centered on Ms. Palin's use of government resources, and to date have turned up little save for a few state trips that she agreed to reimburse the state for because her children had accompanied her.

In the process, though, she accumulated $500,000 in legal fees in just the last nine months, and knew the bill would grow ever larger in the future.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:49 PM   #47
Mavdog
Diamond Member

bs. all foia rules allow for anyone to file a request, this isn't unique to alaska.

also, the individual or group that files a foia request in alaska is responsible for the costs to produce the documents.
"As a general rule, if you want a copy of a public record you can be required to pay for it"
http://www.rcfp.org/ogg/index.php?op=browse&state=AK

it's absurd to argue that when the FBI or the State Legislature determines the governor should be investigated their "initial complaint is flimsy", far from it.

what is "flimsy" is this excuse by palin.

Last edited by Mavdog; 07-08-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #48
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not familiar enough with the FOIA laws to understand whether the guvment gets to recoup the costs of compliance.

But I think you are also saying that flimsy half-million in legal fees is irrelevant also. I'm glad that you are so successful that you feel 500K in legal fees is a pittance but for someone making 125K, 500k in legal bills sorta seems a lot.

[quote]In December 2008, an Alaska state commission recommended increasing the Governor's annual salary from $125,000 to $150,000. Palin stated that she would not accept the pay raise.[85] In response, the commission dropped the recommendation.[86][quote]

I also expect that suit about her wearing a jacket with a logo on it is relevant also. Big time ethics violations going on there. Will Barry get an ethics violation charge for taking Michelle on a 250K date to NYC, probably not.

The only thing "flimsy" here is your attempt to try and justify someone using legalese to harass someone.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #49
Mavdog
Diamond Member

yes, $500,000 is not a substantial amount of money on which palin should base her resignation from office, after all rick perry raised $4.2 Million in 9 days and it is easy to say that palin could just as easily found donors to underwrite $500K in an even shorter amount of time.

interesting that you would attempt to bring in obama's "date" into the discussion...odd, but I do not recall either obama wearing a commercial logo on that trip, clearly you are grasping for straws in the comparison.

has palin been "harrassed" by the continued charges of ethics violations? that might be a valid complaint, but at the same time it isn't a very realistic reason for her resigning from office. these charges have been mostly dismissed early, and the ones that have substance should be investigated.

the only thing I'm "justifying" is the public's right to bring forth allegations of ethics violations, and the accused right to defend themselves.

are you against a citizen's right to lodge these complaints?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #50
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 PM   #51
Mavdog
Diamond Member

a couple of thoughts on this interview...
the ability to earn $ clearly played a huge part in her decision to quit as governor.
she is already getting her candidacy for 2012 going.
anyone who mows their lawn not wearing shoes isn't that smart in my book.
----------------------------------------------
Brushing aside the criticisms of pundits and politicos, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said she plans to jump immediately back into the national political fray — stumping for conservative issues and even Democrats — after she prematurely vacates her elected post at month's end.

The former Republican vice-presidential nominee and heroine to much of the GOP's base said in an interview she views the electorate as embattled and fatigued by nonstop partisanship, and she is eager to campaign for Republicans, independents and even Democrats who share her values on limited government, strong defense and "energy independence."

"I will go around the country on behalf of candidates who believe in the right things, regardless of their party label or affiliation," she said over lunch in her downtown office, 40 miles from her now-famous hometown of Wasilla — population 7,000 — where she began her political career.

"People are so tired of the partisan stuff — even my own son is not a Republican," said Mrs. Palin, who stunned the political world earlier this month with her decision to step down as governor July 26 with 18 months left in her term.

Both her son, Track, 20, an enlisted soldier serving in Iraq, and her husband, Todd, are registered as "nonpartisan" in Alaska.

Mrs. Palin, who vaulted to national prominence when Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican, chose her as his running mate last August, left the door open for a future presidential bid.

But she shot down speculation among Republicans that she might challenge incumbent Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski for the party's nomination to the Senate next year, and she blamed her resignation as governor on the nasty, hardball tactics that last year's presidential campaign brought to her state.

"I'm not ruling out anything — it is the way I have lived my life from the youngest age," she said. "Let me peek out there and see if there's an open door somewhere. And if there's even a little crack of light, I'll hope to plow through it."

Mrs. Palin did not name any candidates for whom she might campaign. Indeed, whether the polarizing Alaskan would be welcome on the campaign circuit is an open question. Republicans running in statewide races in Virginia and New Jersey — the only states with gubernatorial races in November — have offered only lukewarm responses when asked whether Mrs. Palin is welcome to campaign there.

"We don't have any plans on having her in" to stump for gubernatorial hopeful Chris Christie, the Associated Press was told by New Jersey Republican Party Chairman Jay Webber late last week. "We're busy working to get Chris Christie elected and telling people about the failed record of [Gov. Jon Corzine, a Democrat]."

But Texas Gov. Rick Perry has said he would welcome Mrs. Palin at his side in the tight primary fight he faces with Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.

While analysts and fellow politicians continue to debate the wisdom of her decision to resign, Mrs. Palin said she is eager to fight for her conservative beliefs when she leaves office.

The governor, 45, said she shared former House Speaker Newt Gingrich's view that Republicans, now trailing Democrats and independents in registration in many states, should back moderate to conservative Democrats in congressional districts and states where Republicans stand almost no chance of winning.

The object would be to build a majority coalition that reflects what polls suggest is the center-right tilt of the U.S. electorate as a whole.

A USA Today-Gallup poll found that her resignation from office bolstered her appeal among Republicans, two-thirds of whom say they want her to remain "a major national political figure."

But 55 percent of independents say they would rather she exit the national stage. She is also unpopular among Democrats.

Mrs. Palin confirmed during the interview that she has signed a book contract but would not discuss how much it is worth — rumored to be $6 million or more. She also declined to discuss other employment prospects, including becoming a television commentator.

"I can't talk about any of those things while I'm still governor," she said.

The governor defended her decision to step down early, despite criticism by Democrats and Republicans that she risked being labeled a quitter.

She said constant attacks in the press and the barrage of ethics violation claims against her — all dismissed or pending — have cost state taxpayers dearly and made it nearly impossible for her to move forward with her agenda. The legal cases also forced her to go into debt for more than $500,000 in legal expenses.

"Pragmatically, Alaska would be better off" by allowing her lieutenant governor and fellow Republican, Sean Parnell, 46, to serve out her term, she said.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Palin said the state needs a new ethics policy after another ethics complaint was filed against her. The new complaint, filed Friday with the state personnel board, claims Mrs. Palin has been paid for media interviews, according to the Associated Press.

Mrs. Palin said she hopes the new complaint is "a wake-up call" to Alaskan lawmakers and the public that at new policy is needed.

"The only saving grace in this recent episode is that it proves beyond any doubt the significance of the problem Alaska faces in the 'new normal' of political discourse," she said in a release that was posted online through her Twitter account. "I hope this will be a wake-up call — to legislators, to commentators and to citizens generally — that we need a much more civil and respectful dialogue that focuses on the best interests of the state, rather than the petty resentments of a few."

In her interview with The Times, Mrs. Palin denied reports that the decision to resign had been made hastily with little notice to her family or staff.

"We had been contemplating this for months, so I didn't surprise my family or the people around me," she said, glancing at her top aide, Kris Perry, who was seated across the room from the governor during the interview. Ms. Perry smiled and nodded emphatically.

Among the barrage of ethics complaints against Mrs. Palin are many filed by Republican activist Andree McLeod.

"She put personal and partisan political interests before the state of Alaska," Mrs. McLeod told The Washington Times.

Mrs. McLeod said she became friends with Mrs. Palin in 2002 and later grew disillusioned when, in Mrs. McLeod's view, Mrs. Palin did not live up to her ethics-in-office promises.

Mrs. McLeod said Mrs. Palin, before and during her campaign for vice president, used her gubernatorial communications staff to promote herself at state government expense rather than to promote Alaska. Regardless of whether elected officials in both parties do it, she said, "A rule is a rule, and politicians and their staff who violate a rule get punished. Why should Sarah Palin be any different?"

Another friend turned critic, Alaska Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich, said Mrs. Palin worked assiduously with Democrats in the Legislature.

"Her Alaskan Democrat allies stood for rapid government growth, increased government spending and taxing energy to the maximum and definitely did not stand for limited government, spending restraint, strong national defense and energy independence," said Mr. Ruedrich, who described himself as an early mentor to Mrs. Palin.

The mention of Mr. Ruedrich's name seemed to chill the atmosphere of the interview with the governor.

Even dealing with the political maelstrom she unleashed, Mrs. Palin flashed the down-home, personal touch that even critics say helped her forge an extraordinary bond with supporters on the campaign trail.

When a photographer prepared to take pictures of the interview, Mrs. Palin, wearing open-toed shoes, said laughingly, "Don't get my toes in the picture — they are green on the bottom."

Indeed they were. She said the marks were grass stains from mowing her lawn the previous day.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #52
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

For what its worth, I bet she could get a job on Saturday Night Live, seems to me that there's a comedian out there that she could do an impersonation of....
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #53
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Rich knocks this one out of the park. Don't necessarily agree with the headline--Palin didn't break the GOP; she's just a symbol of what has gone wrong with the party, of the mentality of its most extreme supporters, who have had disproportionate influence in the party.

Rich DOES, however, hit the bull's eye with his description of this swath of the GOP, of her defenders, of their motivations, and their emotions, much of which shows up in posts within this thread.

My Fellow Republicans, read it and weep.

Quote:
She Broke the GOP and Now She Owns It

By FRANK RICH
Published: July 11, 2009
SARAH PALIN and Al Sharpton don’t ordinarily have much in common, but they achieved a rare harmonic convergence at Michael Jackson’s memorial service. When Sharpton told the singer’s children it was their daddy’s adversaries, not their daddy, who were “strange,” he was channeling the pugnacious argument the Alaska governor had made the week before. There was nothing strange about her decision to quit in midterm, Palin told America. What’s strange — or “insane,” in her lingo — are the critics who dare question her erratic behavior on the national stage.

Sharpton’s bashing of Jackson’s naysayers received the biggest ovation of the entire show. Palin’s combative resignation soliloquy, though much mocked by prognosticators of all political persuasions, has an equally vociferous and more powerful constituency. In the aftermath of her decision to drop out and cash in, Palin’s standing in the G.O.P. actually rose in the USA Today/Gallup poll. No less than 71 percent of Republicans said they would vote for her for president. That overwhelming majority isn’t just the “base” of the Republican Party that liberals and conservatives alike tend to ghettoize as a rump backwater minority. It is the party, or pretty much what remains of it in the Barack Obama era.

That’s why Palin won’t go gently into the good night, much as some Republicans in Washington might wish. She is not just the party’s biggest star and most charismatic television performer; she is its only star and charismatic performer. Most important, she stands for a genuine movement: a dwindling white nonurban America that is aflame with grievances and awash in self-pity as the country hurtles into the 21st century and leaves it behind. Palin gives this movement a major party brand and political plausibility that its open-throated media auxiliary, exemplified by Glenn Beck, cannot. She loves the spotlight, can raise millions of dollars and has no discernible reason to go fishing now except for self-promotional photo ops.

The essence of Palinism is emotional, not ideological. Yes, she is of the religious right, even if she winks literally and figuratively at her own daughter’s flagrant disregard of abstinence and marriage. But family-values politics, now more devalued than the dollar by the philandering of ostentatiously Christian Republican politicians, can only take her so far. The real wave she’s riding is a loud, resonant surge of resentment and victimization that’s larger than issues like abortion and gay civil rights.

That resentment is in part about race, of course. When Palin referred to Alaska as “a microcosm of America” during the 2008 campaign, it was in defiance of the statistical reality that her state’s tiny black and Hispanic populations are unrepresentative of her nation. She stood for the “real America,” she insisted, and the identity of the unreal America didn’t have to be stated explicitly for audiences to catch her drift. Her convention speech’s signature line was a deftly coded putdown of her presumably shiftless big-city opponent: “I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a community organizer, except that you have actual responsibilities.” (Funny how this wisdom has been forgotten by her supporters now that she has abandoned her own actual responsibilities in public office.)

The latest flashpoint for this kind of animus is the near-certain elevation to the Supreme Court of Sonia Sotomayor, whose Senate confirmation hearings arrive this week. Prominent Palinists were fast to demean Sotomayor as a dim-witted affirmative-action baby. Fred Barnes of The Weekly Standard, the Palinist hymnal, labeled Sotomayor “not the smartest” and suggested that Princeton awards academic honors on a curve. Karl Rove said, “I’m not really certain how intellectually strong she would be.” Those maligning the long and accomplished career of an Ivy League-educated judge do believe in affirmative-action — but only for white people like Palin, whom they boosted for vice president despite her minimal achievements and knowledge of policy, the written word or even geography.

The politics of resentment are impervious to facts. Palinists regard their star as an icon of working-class America even though the Palins’ combined reported income ($211,000) puts them in the top 3.6 percent of American households. They see her as a champion of conservative fiscal principles even though she said yes to the Bridge to Nowhere and presided over a state that ranks No.1 in federal pork.

Nowhere is the power of resentment to trump reason more flagrantly illustrated than in the incessant complaint by Palin and her troops that she is victimized by a double standard in the “mainstream media.” In truth, the commentators at ABC, NBC and CNN — often the same ones who judged Michelle Obama a drag on her husband — all tried to outdo each other in praise for Palin when she emerged at the Republican convention 10 months ago. Even now, the so-called mainstream media can grade Palin on a curve: at MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” last week, Palin’s self-proclaimed representation of the “real America” was accepted as a given, as if white rural America actually still was the nation’s baseline.

The Palinists’ bogus beefs about double standards reached farcical proportions at Fox News on the sleepy pre-Fourth Friday afternoon when word of her abdication hit the East. The fill-in anchor demanded that his token Democratic stooge name another female politician who had suffered such “disgraceful attacks” as Palin. When the obvious answer arrived — Hillary Clinton — the Fox host angrily protested that Clinton had never been attacked in “a sexual way” or “about her children.”

Americans have short memories, but it’s hardly ancient history that conservative magazines portrayed Hillary Clinton as both a dominatrix cracking a whip and a broomstick-riding witch. Or that Rush Limbaugh held up a picture of Chelsea Clinton on television to identify the “White House dog.” Or that Palin’s running mate, John McCain, told a sexual joke linking Hillary and Chelsea and Janet Reno. Yet the same conservative commentariat that vilified both Clintons 24/7 now whines that Palin is receiving “the kind of mauling” that the media “always reserve for conservative Republicans.” So said The Wall Street Journal editorial page last week. You’d never guess that The Journal had published six innuendo-laden books on real and imagined Clinton scandals, or that the Clintons had been a leading target of both Letterman and Leno monologues, not to mention many liberal editorial pages (including that of The Times), for much of a decade.

Those Republicans who have not drunk the Palin Kool-Aid are apocalyptic for good reason. She could well be their last presidential candidate standing. Such would-be competitors as Mark Sanford, John Ensign and Newt Gingrich are too carnally compromised for the un-Clinton party. Mike Huckabee is Palin-lite. Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal — really? That leaves the charisma-challenged Mitt Romney, precisely the kind of card-carrying Ivy League elitist Palinists loathe, no matter how hard he tries to cosmetically alter his history as a socially liberal fat-cat banker. Palin would crush him like a bug. She has the Teflon-coated stature among Republicans that Romney can only fantasize about.

Were Palin actually to secure the 2012 nomination, the result would be a fiasco for the G.O.P. akin to Goldwater 1964, as the most relentless conservative Palin critic, David Frum, has predicted. Or would it? No one thought Richard Nixon — a far less personable commodity than Palin — would come back either after his sour-grapes “last press conference” of 1962. But Democratic divisions and failures gave him his opportunity in 1968. With unemployment approaching 10 percent and a seemingly bottomless war in Afghanistan, you never know, as Palin likes to say, what doors might open.

It’s more likely that she will never get anywhere near the White House, and not just because of her own limitations. The Palinist “real America” is demographically doomed to keep shrinking. But the emotion it represents is disproportionately powerful for its numbers. It’s an anger that Palin enjoyed stoking during her “palling around with terrorists” crusade against Obama on the campaign trail. It’s an anger that’s curdled into self-martyrdom since Inauguration Day.

Its voice can be found in the postings at a Web site maintained by the fans of Mark Levin, the Obama hater who is, at this writing, the No.2 best-selling hardcover nonfiction writer in America. (Glenn Beck is No.1 in paperback nonfiction.) Politico surveyed them last week. “Bottomline, do you know of any way we can remove these idiots before this country goes down the crapper?” wrote one Levin fan. “I WILL HELP!!! Should I buy a gun?” Another called for a new American revolution, promising “there will be blood.”

These are the cries of a constituency that feels disenfranchised — by the powerful and the well-educated who gamed the housing bubble, by a news media it keeps being told is hateful, by the immigrants who have taken some of their jobs, by the African-American who has ended a white monopoly on the White House. Palin is their born avatar. She puts a happy, sexy face on ugly emotions, and she can solidify her followers’ hold on a G.O.P. that has no leaders with the guts or alternative vision to stand up to them or to her.

For a week now, critics in both parties have had a blast railing at Palin. It’s good sport. But just as the media muttering about those unseemly “controversies” rallied the fans of the King of Pop, so are Palin’s political obituaries likely to jump-start her lucrative afterlife.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 07-15-2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Formatting.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #54
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Frank Rich?
Whenever anyone is critiquing something they despise, they probably shouldn't be read at all.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #55
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

One scarcely had to wonder whence would come the first yelp of protest.

Quote:
Frank Rich?
Whenever anyone is critiquing something they despise, they probably shouldn't be read at all.

Peggy Noonan disagrees, and weighs in, for good measure.

Quote:
She (Palin) was a gifted retail politician who displayed the disadvantages of being born into a point of view (in her case a form of conservatism; elsewhere and in other circumstances, it could have been a form of liberalism) and swallowing it whole: She never learned how the other sides think, or why (Emphasis added.)
Noonan's column in its entirety:

Quote:
A Farewell to Harms

Palin was bad for the Republicans—and the republic.

· By PEGGY NOONAN

Quote:
Sarah Palin's resignation gives Republicans a new opportunity to see her plain—to review the bidding, see her strengths, acknowledge her limits, and let go of her drama. It is an opportunity they should take. They mean to rebuild a great party. They need to do it on solid ground.

Her history does not need to be rehearsed at any length. Ten months ago she was embraced with friendliness by her party. The left and the media immediately overplayed their hand, with attacks on her children. The party rallied round, as a party should. She went on the trail a sensation but demonstrated in the ensuing months that she was not ready to go national and in fact never would be. She was hungry, loved politics, had charm and energy, loved walking onto the stage, waving and doing the stump speech. All good. But she was not thoughtful. She was a gifted retail politician who displayed the disadvantages of being born into a point of view (in her case a form of conservatism; elsewhere and in other circumstances, it could have been a form of liberalism) and swallowing it whole: She never learned how the other sides think, or why.

In television interviews she was out of her depth in a shallow pool. She was limited in her ability to explain and defend her positions, and sometimes in knowing them. She couldn't say what she read because she didn't read anything. She was utterly unconcerned by all this and seemed in fact rather proud of it: It was evidence of her authenticity. She experienced criticism as both partisan and cruel because she could see no truth in any of it. She wasn't thoughtful enough to know she wasn't thoughtful enough. Her presentation up to the end has been scattered, illogical, manipulative and self-referential to the point of self-reverence. "I'm not wired that way," "I'm not a quitter," "I'm standing up for our values." I'm, I'm, I'm.

In another age it might not have been terrible, but here and now it was actually rather horrifying.

McCain-Palin lost. Mrs. Palin has now stepped down, but she continues to poll high among some members of the Republican base, some of whom have taken to telling themselves Palin myths.

To wit, "I love her because she's so working-class." This is a favorite of some party intellectuals.

She is not working class, never was, and even she, avid claimer of advantage that she is, never claimed to be and just lets others say it. Her father was a teacher and school track coach, her mother the school secretary. They were middle-class figures of respect, stability and local status. I think intellectuals call her working-class because they see the makeup, the hair, the heels and the sleds and think they're working class "tropes." Because, you know, that's what they teach in "Ways of the Working Class" at Yale and Dartmouth.What she is, is a seemingly very nice middle-class girl with ambition, appetite and no sense of personal limits.

"She's not Ivy League, that's why her rise has been thwarted! She represented the democratic ideal that you don't have to go to Harvard or Brown to prosper, and her fall represents a failure of egalitarianism." This comes from intellectuals too. They need to be told something. Ronald Reagan went to Eureka College. Richard Nixon went to Whittier College, Joe Biden to the University of Delaware. Sarah Palin graduated in the end from the University of Idaho, a school that happily notes on its Web site that it's included in U.S. News & World Report's top national schools survey. They need to be told, too, that the first Republican president was named "Abe," and he went to Princeton and got a Fulbright. Oh wait, he was an impoverished backwoods autodidact! America doesn't need Sarah Palin to prove it was, and is, a nation of unprecedented fluidity. Her rise and seeming fall do nothing to prove or refute this.

"The elites hate her." The elites made her. It was the elites of the party, the McCain campaign and the conservative media that picked her and pushed her. The base barely knew who she was.

It was the elites, from party operatives to public intellectuals, who advanced her and attacked those who said she lacked heft. She is a complete elite confection. She might as well have been a bonbon.

"She makes the Republican Party look inclusive." She makes the party look stupid, a party of the easily manipulated.

"She shows our ingenuous interest in all classes." She shows your cynicism.

"Now she can prepare herself for higher office by studying up, reading in, boning up on the issues." Mrs. Palin's supporters have been ordering her to spend the next two years reflecting and pondering. But she is a ponder-free zone. She can memorize the names of the presidents of Pakistan, but she is not going to be able to know how to think about Pakistan. Why do her supporters not see this? Maybe they think "not thoughtful" is a working-class trope!

"The media did her in." Her lack of any appropriate modesty did her in. Actually, it's arguable that membership in the self-esteem generation harmed her. For 30 years the self-esteem movement told the young they're perfect in every way. It's yielding something new in history: an entire generation with no proper sense of inadequacy.

"Turning to others means the media won!" No, it means they lose. What the mainstream media wants is not to kill her but to keep her story going forever. She hurts, as they say, the Republican brand, with her mess and her rhetorical jabberwocky and her careless causing of division. Really, she is the most careless sower of discord since George W. Bush, who fractured the party and the movement that made him. Why wouldn't the media want to keep that going?

Here's why all this matters. The world is a dangerous place. It has never been more so, or more complicated, more straining of the reasoning powers of those with actual genius and true judgment. This is a time for conservative leaders who know how to think.

Here are a few examples of what we may face in the next 10 years: a profound and prolonged American crash, with the admission of bankruptcy and the spread of deep social unrest; one or more American cities getting hit with weapons of mass destruction from an unknown source; faint glimmers of actual secessionist movements as Americans for various reasons and in various areas decide the burdens and assumptions of the federal government are no longer attractive or legitimate.

The era we face, that is soon upon us, will require a great deal from our leaders. They had better be sturdy. They will have to be gifted. There will be many who cannot, and should not, make the cut. Now is the time to look for those who can. And so the Republican Party should get serious, as serious as the age, because that is what a grown-up, responsible party—a party that deserves to lead—would do.

It's not a time to be frivolous, or to feel the temptation of resentment, or the temptation of thinking next year will be more or less like last year, and the assumptions of our childhoods will more or less reign in our future. It won't be that way.

We are going to need the best.

Last edited by mary; 07-15-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: fix font
Old 07-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #56
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

you're Noonan quote is too small to read, but I bet it doesn't talk about racism and how anti-abortion voices and religion are the downfall of the Republican Party. Along the point I made earlier, as someone who doesn't despise those things that are conservative, her critique of Palin is probably much more sound and much more readable than Frank Rich's.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #57
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Thanks to the mod who fixed the odd font issue.

Actually, Noonan's condemnation of Palin was much more directly about the candidate herself, and frankly much harsher than anything Rich said about her. So yes, Noonan's blast was a fairly more sound indictment of Palin herself. This just reminds me again that it was the Republicans who worked closely with Palin during McCain's presidential campaign who started striking the most damaging blows to her credibility as a politician (let alone as a candidate for national office), not Democrats, not the "MSM".....but Republicans.

Also, as to the effect on the GOP of the Far Right extremist anti-abortionists (to whom, with the assassination of George Tiller, we can again fairly refer as 'murderers'), and the Far Right extremist religious zealots who managed to hijack the Republican Party for the last 20-30 years, Frank actually explicitly says that the issues plaguing the Republican Party are bigger than those two extremist minority constituencies. You must've misread. I suppose that the dog whose tail has been stepped on several times in the recent past may snap at you if you even walk close to him.

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 07-16-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #58
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

yeah flaco she is hot man
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #59
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Noonan calls 'em like she see 'em...and boy did she ever in this case!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #60
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I've got a hard copy article, that I can't find a web/soft copy to link up on this site.

It's called "New York Times Barbie Strikes Again" by Andrew Breitbart.

Basically it points out how the leftist media has had a slanted view and treatment of Sarah Palin. It points out the intolerence of the left and the flat out hatred from the left towards Sarah Palin and the basic idea that their are women who have a completely different ideology to the left. They too are strong woman, but as their view is different from Liberals, they choose to demonize these women.

If you support minorities, then you may want to stand up for the Conservative Woman, perhaps the greatest of minorities alive today. The treatment of disrespect that these women get is insane...although they are strong and stand well for themselves, it does not grant the horrible behavior of the left approval to continue doing so.

I don't why, but there is a part of me that is shocked that the so-called party of "Tolerance" the Democrats and their media cronies, have done so much to harm those women who have a strong conservative view. Women who believe in Life, in Family, in Faith, in Serving, in Career.

When will the left sober up...they are still drunk with power and it is getting rather ugly to the point that 2010 and 2012 may be what it takes to gain sobriety.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #61
MAVMAN41

MAVMAN41 is a jewel in the roughMAVMAN41 is a jewel in the roughMAVMAN41 is a jewel in the roughMAVMAN41 is a jewel in the roughMAVMAN41 is a jewel in the rough

Like Fareed said about her. "It's not that she didn't know the answer to the questions, it's that she didn't even understand the question that were being asked." Dont know why republicans want her in office. We already had one bimbo in office before (George W) we dont need another!!!!
MAVMAN41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #62
dude1394
Guru

If your credentials match this, then you might be worth listening too, if not...well...then you sound kinda stupid. the current occupant could have used an MBA, that's for sure.

Quote:
... attended Yale University from 1964 to 1968, graduating with a Bachelor's degree in history.[20] During this time, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon, being elected the fraternity's president during his senior year.[21][22] Beginning in the fall of 1973, attended the Harvard Business School, where he earned an MBA. He is the only U.S. President to have earned an MBA.[25]

Tags
desperate fluff, got a bit fluffy in here, make me a sandwich bitch, palin re-signed, panties bunched, thread not dead yet?