Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogle View Post
Stats from 9.9 minutes per game doesn't tell you a lot about a player. The only thing it tells you is that he wasn't good enough to earn more minutes.

What's also telling is that he played fewer minutes as the season went on. When the Mavs made their post All-Star Break surge, Bernard had 15 DNPs coach's decision, and barely averaged 4 minutes in the games he did play. I would be more optimistic if he finished his rookie season on an upward trend.
A relatively easy counter point would be that there's a pretty well accepted thought out there that a lot of rookies hit a wall adjusting to such a longer schedule.

I've never seen any data to back it up but it certainly holds water logically.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #42
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Good thing he plays basketball with shoes on.

Height measured with shoes are seldom accurate. Sometimes the shoes add an inch, other times it adds 2 inches. Only way to be consistent is to measure without shoes.

Jae Crowder's official height is listed at 6'6" which is laughable. His shoe-less height puts him at a shade under 6'4", which I think is far more consistent with what my eyes tell me about his height. My eyes tell me he was closer in height to Kidd than he was to Marion.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #43
moogle

moogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to allmoogle is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
A relatively easy counter point would be that there's a pretty well accepted thought out there that a lot of rookies hit a wall adjusting to such a longer schedule.

I've never seen any data to back it up but it certainly holds water logically.

I would buy into the "rookie wall" justification for rookies logging heavy minutes. But James was only playing 11 minutes per game and also racking up a lot of DNPs too. I don't think the rookie wall should affect him nearly as much.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Stats from 9.9 minutes per game doesn't tell you a lot about a player. The only thing it tells you is that he wasn't good enough to earn more minutes.
1) It doesn't tell you a lot, but you've yet to provide anything. I'll take advanced stats over some DM.com poster who says that stats mean nothing-- particularly when those advanced stats measure ON COURT and are scaled for playing time.
2) Nash got 23 DNPs in his first two seasons and only averaged 10mpg in his rookie year and 22mpg his sophomore year.
Kobe averaged 15mpg and had 11 DNPs in his first season
Dirk had 35 DNPs his first season and only averaged 20mpg

Are you saying that those guys werent good enough to earn more minutes?

I won't say that James is that good, but your train of thought is ridiculous as well. DNP CDs and playtime are not directly related to player talent-- particularly in a rookie season. I'll discount James' pretty good stats, but I won't throw them away and I'd put alot more money on ACTUAL stats than on someone saying that PT and DNPs are a better measurement of talent than on court numbers.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-21-2013 at 08:00 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #45
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Height measured with shoes are seldom accurate. Sometimes the shoes add an inch, other times it adds 2 inches. Only way to be consistent is to measure without shoes.

Jae Crowder's official height is listed at 6'6" which is laughable. His shoe-less height puts him at a shade under 6'4", which I think is far more consistent with what my eyes tell me about his height. My eyes tell me he was closer in height to Kidd than he was to Marion.
Who gives a shit about players heights without shoes?

They play with shoes on and that's that. So Sarge is 6'10.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #46
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would buy into the "rookie wall" justification for rookies logging heavy minutes. But James was only playing 11 minutes per game and also racking up a lot of DNPs too. I don't think the rookie wall should affect him nearly as much.
Mmm...maybe. Still doesn't account for the grind of the travel. And the low minute guys all do extra work after games and practices so it may not be as big of a difference as you might initially think.

He's also older, so theoretically his body might not be as quick to adjust to all those things. My body certainly stopped adjusting to change as quickly as I approached 30.

But now I've reached the precipice of out and out conjecture, so I'm going to stop.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #47
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And yet it's not a game played barefoot.

You could make the same argument that players are actually shorter if they played in wheelchairs which would be true, but again NO ONE plays NBA ball in a wheelchair and no one plays basketball without shoes PERIOD.

There is a reason that NBA/ESPN/ABC and EVERY OTHER sports outlet report player height with shoes.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-21-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #48
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

But now I've reached the precipice of out and out conjecture, so I'm going to stop.
No, no....please tell me more about your body nearing 30 so I can know how to evaluate professional athletes.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #49
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Would the addition of James exclude the acquisition of Carmichael? Bc from what I heard, I really liked his potential as an athletic hustle defender.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #50
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
No, no....please tell me more about your body nearing 30 so I can know how to evaluate professional athletes.
No one asked you, Sikey.

Also, are we really arguing the height thing? It seems fairly easy to stipulate that, all things being equal, things would be much more accurate and useful if everyone reported athletes' heights without shoes.

But by and large, they don't, so it's a generally well accepted short hand to use their in-height shoes.

Seems like a silly discussion point either way, no?

Now, back to my body and what it means to the Mavs chances....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #51
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Would the addition of James exclude the acquisition of Carmichael? Bc from what I heard, I really liked his potential as an athletic hustle defender.
Dalembert/Wright/James
Dirk
Marion/Crowder/Carter
Ellis/Ellington/Ledo
Calderon/Mekel/Larkin

That's 13 guys without Akognon. There'd definitely be room for a 4/5 even if Marion and Wright could easily skip over to spell Dirk.I could see them wanting to pick up a frontcourt guy for a little depth.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-21-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #52
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
If they strike out on Oden, I could see scenarios where they leave that spot for a Summer League player they like.

However, they already have a lot of development players on the roster with Ledo, Larkin and possibly Mekel, depending on how his transition goes. With James not being a seasoned vet either, I personally think it's a lot more likely that they bring in a veteran big man to sit the bench and provide injury/foul insurance.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-21-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:13 PM   #53
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
If they strike out on Oden, I could see scenarios where they leave that spot for a Summer League player they like.

However, they already have a lot of development players on the roster with Ledo, Larkin and possibly Mekel, depending on how his transition goes. With James not being a seasoned vet either, I personally think it's a lot more likely that they bring in a veteran big man to sit the bench and provide injury/foul insurance.
That makes sense. Is James more of an NBA big than Carmichael? Bc to me, James is totally just a guy.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #54
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
That makes sense. Is James more of an NBA big than Carmichael? Bc to me, James is totally just a guy.
I haven't watched enough of Summer League to know anything about Carmichael. I'd have to let someone else comment.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #55
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't like projecting PER36 numbers for a player who averaged only 9.9 minutes per game.
Who's projecting? It's an objective characterization of how he actually performed while on the court last season, and far more relevant to evaluating his contractual value than his height, which might have been a reason not to draft him, but certainly isn't any kind of reason to discount his production as an NBA player.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #56
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Sarge Cleared waivers as of 4pm. We can bring him back if we want.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #57
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dalembert/Wright/James
Dirk
Marion/Crowder/Carter
Ellis/Ellington/Ledo
Calderon/Mekel/Larkin
Ledo? I want that dude in the DLeague learning how to be a pro and how to sharpen his skills.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:09 AM   #58
#41 Shoot em up
Banned

#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts#41 Shoot em up is infamous around these parts

Bernard sucks. Don't know why everybody up in arms about this scrub
#41 Shoot em up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #59
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #60
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I haven't watched enough of Summer League to know anything about Carmichael. I'd have to let someone else comment.
Both float on offense, but I know Carmichael can do more on offense than James can right now. He came on strong after the first two games in Vegas, when he actually got time to play.

His timing on defense is really sharp. His wingspan works to where he can go for blocks and not have to be on the hip of the guy he's going after. Strong enough too to swat those shots away at point blank range.

His size is an issue, but I'm a fan of him.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #61
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of undersized centers, because they have to battle so hard to be effective on defense. I love Sarge's story, and his effort. I'm just not sure he can play center, and his offense isn't good enough to play the 4. As the third center, he'd be okay, but if Damenbert of Wright went down, we'd be in big trouble,
Old 07-22-2013, 02:39 AM   #62
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

Don't care either way at this point, the chances of the guy making a big impact are slim.

However if Cuban gave him his word he would re-sign him if he cleared waivers i expect Cuban to do it.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #63
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Sure beats what's left on the market. He looked solid enough last year in the little time he had.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1) It doesn't tell you a lot, but you've yet to provide anything. I'll take advanced stats over some DM.com poster who says that stats mean nothing-- particularly when those advanced stats measure ON COURT and are scaled for playing time.
2) Nash got 23 DNPs in his first two seasons and only averaged 10mpg in his rookie year and 22mpg his sophomore year.

I won't say that James is that good, but your train of thought is ridiculous as well. DNP CDs and playtime are not directly related to player talent-- particularly in a rookie season. I'll discount James' pretty good stats, but I won't throw them away and I'd put alot more money on ACTUAL stats than on someone saying that PT and DNPs are a better measurement of talent than on court numbers.
Erica, are you smoking crack again?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #65
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Moogle the height expert.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Both float on offense, but I know Carmichael can do more on offense than James can right now. He came on strong after the first two games in Vegas, when he actually got time to play.

His timing on defense is really sharp. His wingspan works to where he can go for blocks and not have to be on the hip of the guy he's going after. Strong enough too to swat those shots away at point blank range.

His size is an issue, but I'm a fan of him.
I wouldn't say Carmichael's size is an issue, so much as his height. Dude has some bulk to him - kinda reminds me of a slightly taller Brandon Bass... And like Bass, he plays more like a center than a forward, which I agree, is a bit of an issue in a sport where height tends to dictate position.

He should get a camp invite, but I'd really like to see him earn a roster spot. Carmichael was probably our second-most impressive Summer League player behind Mekel.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-22-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #67
moogle

Quote:
I never said advanced stats mean nothing. I said advanced stats based on 9.9 minutes per game mean nothing. There is a big difference.

Quote:
Jason Kidd was playing behind two Hall of Famers in Jason Kidd & Kevin Johnson in their primes. Bernard James was playing behind Chris Kaman & Elton Brand on the wrong side of 30.

Quote:
Kobe Bryant was barely 18 years old when the season started. He was also playing behind Eddie Jones --- who was an All-Star that season.

Quote:
Uhm... check your facts again. Dirk only had 3 DNP's in 1998, not 35. Dirk was a 19-year old kid from Germany who was dumped into the NBA in a strike-shortened 50-game season with hardly any time for training camp or preseason. 20 minutes per game is pretty much normal under those circumstances.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
I won't say that James is that good, but your train of thought is ridiculous as well.
I think it's funny the way you worded that. So you're letting it slip that using PER36 stats is ridiculous after all?

Ultimately, my whole point is that Bernard James is a scrub with very little upside. But I won't let myself get dragged down into a pointless back-and-forth debate where the most stubborn hot head wins. History will decide who is right. So I'll just say this: I'll bookmark this thread and bump it after the 2013-14 season.

We'll all see then who was being ridiculous.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #68
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
James clears waivers, expected to re-sign with Mavs

link

Second-year center Bernard James cleared waivers and is expected to re-sign with the Mavs, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The Mavs didn't want to waive James, but they needed every possible dollar of salary-cap space as they prepare to finalize a three-year deal for more than $25 million with Monta Ellis. Waiving James, who had a nonguaranteed contract, created almost $300,000 of cap space.

The Mavs have an agreement in principle to re-sign the 6-foot-10, 240-pound James to a minimum-salary contract after making the Ellis deal official. James, who played in 46 games as a rookie, would back up Samuel Dalembert and Brandan Wright. The Mavs have early Bird rights for Wright, meaning they can exceed the cap to re-sign him, and his return is a virtual certainty.
So when does the Ellis deal become official? Are we still waiting on Oden to make a decision, or what?

Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #69
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I wouldn't say Carmichael's size is an issue, so much as his height. Dude has some bulk to him - kinda reminds me of a slightly taller Brandon Bass... And like Bass, he plays more like a center than a forward, which I agree, is a bit of an issue in a sport where height tends to dictate position.

He should get a camp invite, but I'd really like to see him earn a roster spot. Carmichael was probably our second-most impressive Summer League player behind Mekel.
One way or another, Carmichael is going to someone's camp. I know he's got one sure-fire invite on the table from someone, possibly another team. Waiting to hear if Dallas will offer him one.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 AM   #70
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One way or another, Carmichael is going to someone's camp. I know he's got one sure-fire invite on the table from someone, possibly another team. Waiting to hear if Dallas will offer him one.
Uhhh... crud? Shouldn't we be grabbing all the young bigs we can to see what pans out.

Or are we banking on LeBron's dad still?

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 07-22-2013 at 12:00 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #71
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

He reminds me of Kenyon Martin.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #72
moogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by He15man View Post
Don't care either way at this point, the chances of the guy making a big impact are slim.

However if Cuban gave him his word he would re-sign him if he cleared waivers i expect Cuban to do it.

No doubt the Mavs will re-sign him. But by having waived him, I think they gave up his Early Birds Rights for next summer. If for whatever reason Bernard James enjoys a big season, the Mavs will have a hard time keeping him next summer.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #73
Dirk's Knee

Dirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to beholdDirk's Knee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

What's also telling is that he played fewer minutes as the season went on. When the Mavs made their post All-Star Break surge, Bernard had 15 DNPs coach's decision, and barely averaged 4 minutes in the games he did play. I would be more optimistic if he finished his rookie season on an upward trend.
Wright had a ton of DNP-CD in the first half the season but finished things out as the most efficient scorer on the squad. Let's remember also for whatever reason RC really wanted Kaman on the floor and will always look to vets over rookies for the lion's share of minutes. I'm not saying Sarge is going to be some type of huge star. But if he can improve a bit on what he did last season, I think he's a solid backup option defensively. Let's remember he had a 7 block game last year and 6 other games with 3+ blocks.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #74
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Guys, you all are arguing way too much about Sarge. He will be a good backup for us with the potential to spot-start when/if needed. He is depth, no matter how hard you try to argue Per36 numbers and what he could do blah blah blah. He brings energy and toughness. He's a solid, back-up big man.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #75
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

He's a young big who's been in the Mavs system for a year now so for cheap I of course would welcome him back.

But it's not like we're losing on Dwight Howard with this guy either.

Glad to see Cuban keeping his word and bringing him back.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #76
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Why wouldn't they bring him to camp?
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #77
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Why wouldn't they bring him to camp?
We just offered Sarge money and Carmicheal is imo a questionable center because of his size. My bet is he will get a shot at our camp tho.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #78
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
We just offered Sarge money and Carmicheal is imo a questionable center because of his size. My bet is he will get a shot at our camp tho.
Carmichael is a forward.

Tags
it'sgottabetheshoes