Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #161
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
The Warriors are a horrible team. Let's see if we can string some victories together first.
Yes, The Warriors are horrible. I like the win and any win is a good one, but we have yet to be consistent with the efforts of last nights. I'm not going overboard from this, I've learned my lesson.

Dirk was solid both sides of the floor for a change and I thought it took him a lil bit to get going but he did what he needed to do with the smaller guy on him. Punished him in the paint.

Everyone was hitting shots and playing well, the only guy I thought even remotely struggled was JJB. So no biggie..

I don't think we will be able to clamp down like that on good teams that aren't matchup disasters like GS. Nellie had no PF out there basically all game, they were outsized and RC force fed the post like Avery should have done 2 yrs ago.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #162
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yes, The Warriors are horrible. I like the win and any win is a good one, but we have yet to be consistent with the efforts of last nights. I'm not going overboard from this, I've learned my lesson.

Dirk was solid both sides of the floor for a change and I thought it took him a lil bit to get going but he did what he needed to do with the smaller guy on him. Punished him in the paint.

Everyone was hitting shots and playing well, the only guy I thought even remotely struggled was JJB. So no biggie..

I don't think we will be able to clamp down like that on good teams that aren't matchup disasters like GS. Nellie had no PF out there basically all game, they were outsized and RC force fed the post like Avery should have done 2 yrs ago.
Stop trying to bash Avery on this win. RC did NOT force feed the post. You made that up in your mind. The Mavs drove the lane, got out on the break for easy baskets, and hit open shots. Nothing to do with RC at all.
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:33 AM   #163
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't Damp do that every night?

There is still no logical explanation why Damp isn't a 10/10 guy every season. Lazy and lack of focus is all I can think of.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #164
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

There is still no logical explanation why Damp isn't a 10/10 guy every season. Lazy and lack of focus is all I can think of.
Would love to see a couple Kidd-Damp pick and rolls every quarter, especially early on. The guy just needs motivation. There's no coincidence that his pair of career seasons were his contract seasons also. If Kidd can get him going early, the guy will put up 10-10 every night. Problem is they go to him one or 2 times early and forget about him. Just by sheer size the guy can be a monster.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #165
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
Stop trying to bash Avery on this win. RC did NOT force feed the post. You made that up in your mind. The Mavs drove the lane, got out on the break for easy baskets, and hit open shots. Nothing to do with RC at all.
Yeah, Damps double double and Dirks points and touches in the paint were from them driving. haha.

Bashing Avery wan't even on my mind while posting. I'm not getting into that.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #166
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
Warriors points in the paint - 26
Mavericks points in the pain - 38

Shut it.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #167
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I know what you mean, but there are just too many other players that get their numbers on this team. Look at Dalembert, he should be a 10/10 guy but he's only a 6/8 guy (Dampier is a 5/7 guy). Also, Damp only averages 23 minutes a game.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 01-29-2009 at 11:54 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #168
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Warriors points in the paint - 26
Mavericks points in the pain - 38

Shut it.
I predict a "silk storm" coming...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 01-29-2009 at 11:54 AM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #169
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

ignore

Contact Me
Old 01-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #170
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
Actually I think the Mavs can play even better than they did tonight.

Kidd for instance, was mostly terrible. Completely useless.
This just goes to show how much people here value scoring over all other aspects of the game. If Kidd didnt play the way he did, then our team wouldnt have gelled the way it did last night and wouldnt have scored so easily. Kidd may not have been at his peak performance, but he was definitely far away from "completely useless."

Kidd had 2 steals, 2 blocked shots, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds. That is still very effective without scoring. Id be happy with that every night if the rest of the team is able to score more efficiently.

Last edited by Robillion; 01-29-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #171
alby
Guru

I don't really argue about Kidd. People just don't understand his importance on the court.

Contact Me
Old 01-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #172
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
This just goes to show how much people here value scoring over all other aspects of the game. If Kidd didnt play the way he did, then our team wouldnt have gelled the way it did last night and wouldnt have scored so easily. Kidd may not have been at his peak performance, but he was definitely far away from "completely useless."

Kidd had 2 steals, 2 blocked shots, 9 assists, and 7 rebounds. That is still very effective without scoring. Id be happy with that every night if the rest of the team is able to score more efficiently.
....you can never judge Kidd's effectiveness by stats. One set had him grab the loose ball and fire a 50 foot pass to JHo, where JHo pulled for a 10 foot jumper. Another had him getting a strip and firing it down where JHo finishes it off again.

The thing I've always hated about Kidd was not being a leader on the court, not demanding the rock and running sets that take advantage of mismatches. He'll drop the rock to Dirk and let Dirk pound the rock or JHo run the shot clock down, trying to create something....this is Kidd's job. He won't demand these guys to move and create passing lanes for catch and shoots. I love watching Terry just catch, rhythm dribble and shoot. I think early in the Boston game Perkins somehow got Kidd on his hip and he got the rock right away. A Kidd led team, should be able to take advantage of these things...yet they don't because of the constant dribbling.

Last edited by Kidd Karma; 01-29-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #173
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There are eight players in the entire NBA averaging at least 10/10, and they all play way more minutes than Damp.

There's a lot more to his production besides his focus and effort. Matchups play a big role in the NBA.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #174
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
....you can never judge Kidd's effectiveness by stats. One set had him grab the loose ball and fire a 50 foot pass to JHo, where JHo pulled for a 10 foot jumper. Another had him getting a strip and firing it down where JHo finishes it off again.

The thing I've always hated about Kidd was not being a leader on the court, not demanding the rock and running sets that take advantage of mismatches. He'll drop the rock to Dirk and let Dirk pound the rock or JHo run the shot clock down, trying to create something....this is Kidd's job. He won't demand these guys to move and create passing lanes for catch and shoots. I love watching Terry just catch, rhythm dribble and shoot. I think early in the Boston game Perkins somehow got Kidd on his hip and he got the rock right away. A Kidd led team, should be able to take advantage of these things...yet they don't because of the constant dribbling.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:35 PM   #175
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here...
He defers way too much. In games where probably 75% is run in the half court, he can easily carve up a man to man defense, yet he defers way too much to Dirk and JHo, allowing them to go 1 on 1. Kidd's the point, his job is to create for himself and others. He's not doing that in the half court. If you're playing 2-2, 1-1 you're allowing the other 3-4 defenders to rest. If there's much more movement, picks, ala the Celtics, your offense would be much more smoother. This is where Kidd must force the team to execute the offense by moving around in the half court, moving around with purpose. Instead half of the half court sets, he's pushing the ball to Jet, or Dirk or JHo with 17 left on the shot clock.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #176
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
He defers way too much. In games where probably 75% is run in the half court, he can easily carve up a man to man defense, yet he defers way too much to Dirk and JHo, allowing them to go 1 on 1. Kidd's the point, his job is to create for himself and others. He's not doing that in the half court. If you're playing 2-2, 1-1 you're allowing the other 3-4 defenders to rest. If there's much more movement, picks, ala the Celtics, your offense would be much more smoother. This is where Kidd must force the team to execute the offense by moving around in the half court, moving around with purpose. Instead half of the half court sets, he's pushing the ball to Jet, or Dirk or JHo with 17 left on the shot clock.

Yeah, I'm not sure sure about this anymore. He can't really beat his man off the dribble and needs to run the picka nd roll more often. It seems to suit his game more when they are in half court.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #177
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Steve Jax always seems to play well against us.

Josh for Jax/Marcus Banks?

Old 01-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #178
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure sure about this anymore. He can't really beat his man off the dribble and needs to run the picka nd roll more often. It seems to suit his game more when they are in half court.
No, in a motion offense, he would not have to beat his man, just wait for the other 4 players to move around, whether creating picks, rubbing off each other, or running the z and going back door. Kidd will always find the open man and deliver it into scoring position. Seems the other 4 have no desire to move without the rock. I guess each of them would be frustrated if they think they're open and Kidd doesn't deliver it, means less and less movement as the game progresses.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #179
alby
Guru

^ in theory, that is a great idea. but the blackhole known as Josh Howard has forced Carlisle to adjust his offense. Don't you guys remember when we went on that winning streak without Howard? The ball movement was a thing of beauty.

Contact Me
Old 01-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #180
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
^ in theory, that is a great idea. but the blackhole known as Josh Howard has forced Carlisle to adjust his offense. Don't you guys remember when we went on that winning streak without Howard? The ball movement was a thing of beauty.
This is where I think Kidd has to put his foot down. Kick his ass or get his ass traded, none of this nicey nice stuff. If Kidd feels it's not his place, then he grabs Dirk and Jet and have a nice long talk with JHo.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #181
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
There are eight players in the entire NBA averaging at least 10/10, and they all play way more minutes than Damp.

There's a lot more to his production besides his focus and effort. Matchups play a big role in the NBA.
He sets a good pick and rebounds well most of the time. Everything else you just never know...

Old 01-29-2009, 06:24 PM   #182
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's why Howards performance against GS was so welcome. He was a far as a black hole as he could be, passing up his using repretiore of step-back jumpers and instead passing and taking shots in the offense.

If Josh has magically turned a corner (he hasn't, but hey, you can dream) there is so much more this offense can do. He was perfect last night. 7/11, driving, shooting 3s, passing when he didn't have a shot or when Dirk had a better shot, rebounding. Struggled a little on defending Stephan Jackson early on, but as you saw, when Josh plays like that, our offense is quite good.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #183
alby
Guru

Quote:
This is where I think Kidd has to put his foot down. Kick his ass or get his ass traded, none of this nicey nice stuff. If Kidd feels it's not his place, then he grabs Dirk and Jet and have a nice long talk with JHo.
I've been wanting to trade howard since after the Finals (including the 67 win year).

Contact Me
Old 01-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #184
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've been wanting to trade howard since after the Finals (including the 67 win year).
I think you win, but I've been on that train for well over a year, maybe 18 months or so. I'll be your co-captain.

Tags
bad team, blowout, cheap gold, excellent, tags slump