Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #41
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Dirk also referred to himself as 'the leader' on the team.
I dunno if you follow the Cowboys, but to anyone that does..

remember a couple of years ago when Quincy Carter was interviewed and was asked a question about whether or not he was pissed that they had brought in Vinny Testaverde to compete at QB...and Quincy said that he wasn't because he felt that he and his teammates knew that he was the leader of the team

well, remember how a lot of fans on message boards (only the closet racists) came out and chastised him for saying such a thing?

I don't see anything wrong with Dirk or Quincy knowing their role as leader and doing everything they can to be a good one... although unfortunately Quincy chose the path of drugs and it got him the boot

at least we still have Dirk though
Old 02-22-2006, 05:53 PM   #42
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, theres a difference when Dirk says he is the leader then performs, then Quincy says he is the leader, and, I am pretty sure the next few days, was cut from the team. HAHA> I hate Quincy.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #43
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference between Dirk and Q-tard is that Dirk actually has talent and doesn't snort coke.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #44
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

and Dirks not black
Old 02-22-2006, 06:01 PM   #45
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Right and I acknowledged that difference Drbio but that's not what I was talking about.. I was just referring to them calling themselves leaders

obviously Dirk is more talented at what he does and doesn't do drugs (that we know about, haha), but they both play leadership-type positions on their respective teams and I don't see what the hell the big deal about acknowledging that is

it's not like he was all p***y Chad Hutchinson-like and walked into Parcells' office asking what his role was... few days later he was let go. HAHAHA > I hate Chad Hutchinson.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:02 PM   #46
WraithXx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
and Dirks not black
Do I even need to let you know how much of a fucking idiotic comment that is?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 PM   #47
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Yeah, I got no problem with anyone in that position stating they are a leader. If not them, then who will?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:04 PM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

...well, coaches and other players.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:04 PM   #49
WraithXx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightmkw
Yeah, I got no problem with anyone in that position stating they are a leader. If not them, then who will?
well... Dirk's got it easy because everyone knows Murphy3 will do it if Dirk won't.

lol
Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #50
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

What? Dirk is white, Quincy is black, thats a difference isnt it>?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:05 PM   #51
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it a big deal that he said it? Well, alot of people have questioned whether or not Dirk wanted the role or could handle the role.... partly because he's not American by some..

He seems rather at home with being a leader. But, I suppose it's easy to be a leader on a team that's mostly full of unselfish players....and with a coach like AJ.

So, it's good that he's embraced the role.... Good for him and good for the Mavs.

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-22-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #52
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
well... Dirk's got it easy because everyone knows Murphy3 will do it if Dirk won't.

lol
You know what...I'm so horribly insulted by that attack. I used to have the patience to battle with people such as yourself..but, I really don't anymore. I'm not sure what happened, but I just don't have it to get into a war of words with someone that has so little to offer in response.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:08 PM   #53
WraithXx
Diamond Member

Dirk is unquestionably the face of this franchise. It's quite evident by looking at the success we (and he) are having after losing Nash and Finley

What I like about our team and coaches is that everyone knows their role and they don't try to be something they're not. I don't really wanna get into all the players and their qualities but for example Griff... that dude is pure effing vet in every sense of the word
Old 02-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #54
WraithXx
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
You know what...I'm so horribly insulted by that attack. I used to have the patience to battle with people such as yourself..but, I really don't anymore. I'm not sure what happened, but I just don't have it to get into a war of words with someone that has so little to offer in response.
obviously I can't tell your facial expression or "tone of voice" and whatnot by reading on the internet... but I've got 2 responses

1) if you're serious... damn.
2) if you're kidding... teehee
Old 02-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #55
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

OK, everyone, just take a deep breath and relax. We all love the mavs here. I love all of you. HAHA
Old 02-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #56
WraithXx
Diamond Member

sixeightmkw is on a distinguished road
Old 02-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #57
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

ha
Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 PM   #58
WraithXx
Diamond Member

dammit I can't effing wait for tomorrow's game

I don't have class on Friday's so Thursday nights are like my Friday nights...

gonna watch the game with the guys and pound that booze!

and then next week.... Spurs vs Mavs... what..a .. game... can't wait.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #59
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Did Dirk ever get on with BAD radio? They promo'd it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:29 PM   #60
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

yeah, read up above, I summed it up for you
Old 02-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #61
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks 68...

There is also an article in the Observer called "Dork Nowitzki" by....?? can't remember.

Commenting on his humilty.

Guy is great. MVP all the way.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #62
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a disgrace for Steve Nash to win the MVP, not because he doesn't deserve it because he is playing better this year than last.

But because the Suns will have the 3rd best record in the West.

And if you look at the history for MVP winners, I think only one or two guys were on teams who did not finish 1st in their respective conference.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #63
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Yea, I think its quite evident that Dirk's the leader of the team. I'm sure AJ, Mark and the coaching staff have told him this repeatedly. Especially with the departures of Nash and Finley.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #64
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

The reasons it would be a shame if nash won it are several. 1) the only possible justification for him winning it last year instead of dirk is that his team won the conference and they had a WHOLE lot more talent than the mavs last year. 2) He still has more all stars on his team than dirk does on his 3) He does not need to have more mvps than shaq and kg and dirk and all the other people who have won it once or never won it that were better than he is. I love nash, he is still one of my favorite players but he just doesnt deserve back to back mvps.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:28 AM   #65
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
The reasons it would be a shame if nash won it are several. 1) the only possible justification for him winning it last year instead of dirk is that his team won the conference and they had a WHOLE lot more talent than the mavs last year. 2) He still has more all stars on his team than dirk does on his 3) He does not need to have more mvps than shaq and kg and dirk and all the other people who have won it once or never won it that were better than he is. I love nash, he is still one of my favorite players but he just doesnt deserve back to back mvps.
True, any guy who can turn that rag tag Suns squad (Raja Bell? Eddie House? James Jones???) into a 50+ win team deserves some serious props. But the guy does Not deserve a back-to-back.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:43 AM   #66
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Since this thread started out as "Cuban on the ticket," could someone recap what he said?

Tanx.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:18 AM   #67
dude1394
Guru

G-man, have you read through it? I think most stuff is in there.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:38 AM   #68
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

When he was talking about the "Vanilla Towers" did Van Horns future with the team come up?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #69
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescx
When he was talking about the "Vanilla Towers" did Van Horns future with the team come up?
He said that Van Horn's contract would be something teams would be interested in, but it's SO big you'd have to take back some sort of bad contract with it. He also said that Van Horn is already exactley what they need from that position, and he's not sure that there is another out there that can fill the role like that.

He didn't say anything about beyond this season, but it certainly looks like KVH is here for the duration of this season.

He also mentioned that in year's past it would have been a no brainer to move Van Horn, because in their previous system it was all about acquiring talent. But with Avery here, they've shifted to the system approach, and they want pieces that fit that system.

To try to fill in some of the info for GMan:

They talked tech stuff with him for the first several minutes. After that they discussed Cuban's stance on the All-Star game, and he stood firm on not holding one at the AAC under the current rules. Said Houston only got 600 lower bowl tickets and 1,800 upper level tickets to disburse, and that wouldn't cut it for his 14,000+ season ticket holder base.

They asked him who the MVP favorite was in his mind, and he said if the finish anywhere close to #1, it has to be Dirk, because he was the only All-Star from the Mavs. All the other elite teams had at least two.

That's about all I can remember right now. If I remember somthing else I'll edit it in.

BTW, for anyone that uses ITunes, the Cuban interview can be found in the Bad Radio Podcast section. Just search for KTCK in the podcasts and you should see the BaD Radio Podcast. Cuban's interview is their most recent addition. I would expect the Dirk interview to be posted soon as well.

Edit: Well I just gave the podcast a listen, and it's not actually the whole interview. It's just about the All Star game stance.....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-23-2006 at 09:02 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote