Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-28-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavericks might miss more than Najera's hustle

Mavericks might miss more than Najera's hustle
Traded forward's production was limited, but not his fan appeal

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

In less than two months, the Mavericks have lost perhaps the two most popular players on their team.

Steve Nash walked in free agency. Eduardo Najera was traded last week to Golden State for Erick Dampier.

While it is clear the Mavericks are reshaping their roster, it's equally obvious that they now must start marketing a different team. Najera's hustle and spirit, not to mention his connection with the Hispanic community, will not be replaced easily. Similarly, fans who enjoyed watching Nash's stringy-long hair flying in his wake also must go through an adjustment period.

Re-grabbing the fans – and keeping that regular-season sellout streak (currently 112) going – is going to be a challenge.

From a basketball perspective, the trade for Dampier "was one we couldn't not do," according to Mavericks president Donnie Nelson. But the Mavericks do not underestimate the contributions of the 6-8 forward in his four seasons.

"The hardest part of this thing all along was Eddie," Nelson said. "He was the heart and soul in a lot of ways for this team. We tried everything we could to keep him out of the deal, but it was a deal-breaker from Golden State's viewpoint."

Other Mavericks officials declined to comment.

The upcoming season will require the public to put a new face on the franchise. Billboards throughout the city had featured a horizontal Nash diving for a ball or an energized Najera doing the dirty work. These were players who were easy to market. They also embodied the Mavericks' persona as a fun team.

"Eddie was extremely popular here," said Roberto Gonzalez, who handles much of Najera's endorsement and business dealings in Dallas and Mexico. "I don't think there's any question that he was one of their most marketable players. The Hispanic people adored him."

As do most fans, period. Fans, of course, are some of the most resilient creatures on Earth. They likely will grow to embrace the new Mavericks, of whom there are plenty. At least nine players are expected to be new.

"We're going to have a different look, for sure," Nelson said. "But the proof will be in the pudding."

On the court, the loss of Najera will be less dramatic. Since recurring left knee problems began in the 2002-03 season, the 6-8 forward has been inconsistent. He never played more than 62 games in his four seasons with the club.

He was not the same player last season that he was in 2001-02, when he had his best season, averaging 6.5 points and 5.5 rebounds.

That doesn't mean Najera won't have good seasons ahead of him. If his knee is healthy, he's got five or six more seasons in which he can augment his reputation as an undersized bruiser who outworks everybody he plays against.

And as Mavericks fans know all too well, there's a lot to be said for reputation and work ethic. That Najera will be missed in spite of limited production is proof.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all
Default RE: Mavericks might miss more than Najera's hustle

Winning = fans.. it's that simple.
Also IMO most Mav fans are Dirk fans, and there are actually a lot of Fin fans left out there. Not to mention people love hustle period, and JHO and Quise will fill that void.
So Dallas will lose a few hispanic fans for Najera, and a few female fans from Nash. I think there are still plenty of fans, especially casual fans who will still go to the games. A winning team, that will score around 100 points a game, in a league full of futility, sounds attractive to me.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:37 AM   #3
lonny22

lonny22 is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Mavericks might miss more than Najera's hustle

Neither Nash nor Najera were my favorites. I liked them, but always liked the Big German more. Daniels was in front of Nash for me.

It's not going to be hard to sell to the fans. Right now, it looks like Sefko is justifying putting his neck out there and saying the Mavs would be #9. You have to be negative to soothe your mind for misspeaking.
lonny22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Re-grabbing the fans – and keeping that regular-season sellout streak (currently 112) going – is going to be a challenge.
When you start selling tickets at 5 bucks, it's not hard to have such a streak. Nonetheless, I still wonder how they claim sellouts when you can get tickets just at the initial buzzer.

On the other side, Nash and Eddie will be missed, but fans will keep coming if the team keeps winning 50 or more and getting the playofs.

Let's move on...once again.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Dirk always got the biggest roar from the crowd. Next was usually sort of tied between little stevie and fin. Eddie was definitely a true crowd favorite, but strangely enough when shawn was effective he got every bit as much of a roar (but it was based on his effectiveness).

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing thats going to effect ticket sales this year is the number of additional playoff games the Mavs will be adding to the end of the schedule.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:03 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The Mavs will most likely miss Najera's ability to grab defensive rebounds. Few power forwards in the history of the game have managed to consistently put up the defensive rebounding numbers that Najera has managed to bless the Mavs with.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 09:08 AM   #8
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

I like Eddie... but I like winning even more.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:38 PM   #9
Chelette

Chelette is on a distinguished road

Eddie and Steve will be miss...no doubth about it...but the movie is just starting,,,,,,let see how the new additions performs.......We need hussling the way Eddie used to do it, even better, We need shooting like Nash use to, even more than that..........let just hope our team can do better than last year or at least the same.........as for Us, the fans.......We play a big important part and it will depend and how much We cheer for the team to have this guys play as a team.....
Gooooooooooo Maaaaaaaaaaaavs.........................all the Way to a Championship......
Chelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #10
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I completely agree that from a marketing perspective Dallas will be hit hard. Without Nash and Najera the team just isn't the same.

Yes, a campionship would bring in the $'s, but is Dampier really going to take the Mavs all the way this year (or next). I just don't think so.

Of course, I am very biased about Najera. I like Eddie for being Eddie. And my 3-4 tickets a year will not create financial ruin for the Mavs. But, I'm not the only one that attends games for a favorite player. This may cost them more than they have anticipated.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:44 PM   #11
Sinn Fein

Sinn Fein is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: southern_sweets
I completely agree that from a marketing perspective Dallas will be hit hard. Without Nash and Najera the team just isn't the same.

Yes, a campionship would bring in the $'s, but is Dampier really going to take the Mavs all the way this year (or next). I just don't think so.

Of course, I am very biased about Najera. I like Eddie for being Eddie. And my 3-4 tickets a year will not create financial ruin for the Mavs. But, I'm not the only one that attends games for a favorite player. This may cost them more than they have anticipated.

You are so right sweets. Damp may get boards, block shots, be a top 5 center, but he lacks heart! Eddie has heart, he'll dive for those balls no one else will! Heck, he has so much heart he'll even dive for them after they are out of bounds! Cubes will regret this trade, Eddie is more then 2 def. boards a game, Viva Eddie! Lets all boycott Cubes, we didn't need a legit center as much as we'll miss the severly limited O game and heroic efforts to grab an occasional "emotional" d rebound that was Eddie, viva El Rayo!
Sinn Fein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:54 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: southern_sweetsOf course, I am very biased about Najera. I like Eddie for being Eddie. And my 3-4 tickets a year will not create financial ruin for the Mavs. But, I'm not the only one that attends games for a favorite player. This may cost them more than they have anticipated.
Possibly.. but every home game since early 2002 has sold out, and I've constantly got people begging me to "get them" tickets, as if the fact that I have a ticket package gives me special abilities.. so I dunno. They'll hurt in merchandise sales, no doubt about that one, losing two of the most popular players.. but I think attendance won't show the effects.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Would you rather have a fan favorite or a champsionship? Becuase you have a better chance at a championship with Damp then Najera. Sad....but true. I don't necessarily want that to be the facts, but history tells us otherwise.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:10 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It will be easy to replace whatever little the lose in ticket sales from the flock of fans that fawn over Najera. As for the uniform sales, I suppose the fans that have Najera jerseys will either have to make do with what they've got or go out and buy a new jersey of some other player. With as poorly as Najera had played the past couple of years, I don't think he was going to win over alot of new fans that were going to go out and purchase his jersey.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
The upcoming season will require the public to put a new face on the franchise. Billboards throughout the city had featured a horizontal Nash diving for a ball or an energized Najera doing the dirty work. These were players who were easy to market. They also embodied the Mavericks' persona as a fun team.
This is so true.

Selling the same does not mean selling at the same internal cost.

The Mavs will have to improve the marketability of the new group, not for selling more, but to sell more easily (less costly) than when Nash and Eddie were already positioned on the market.

I think Dirk, Finley and Shawn are well positioned, but the rest of the players are not yet, at Dallas or for the Mavericks market.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 PM   #16
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I will miss najera about as much as I would a swift kick in the nads...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 PM   #17
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Crippler
That could be arranged.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:58 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: southern_sweets
Quote:
Originally posted by: The Crippler
That could be arranged.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
go Sweets!
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 05:55 AM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
In less than two months, the Mavericks have lost perhaps the two most popular players on their team.
This is a stretch. Najera? More popular than Dirk or Finley? Come on now. That's insane. I love the guy, but this just makes no sense.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:44 AM   #20
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Soooo...does nobody think Mavs fans will want to buy Dampier jerseys, especially if he turns out to be a major contributor? Do you not think Daniels has become more marketable with his playoff performances, new long-term contract and impressive rookie season? Sure, some who went to see Najera play or buy his jerseys might spend less this year, but do you not think there will be other people who spend more? Its ridiculous to think this will have a major marketing or financial impact on the organization. Sports fans have the shortest memories in the world.

The crowd is fickle, my brother.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:03 AM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine that a retrenching year from dirk/ the additions of Damp/Stack/JT and the continual progress of Daniels/Howard will be more than enough to wipe the ever flowing tears from mavs fan's eyes over the loss of Najea....Eddie will (for the most part) be forgtten and not missed within a month of the season starting even by those who liked him....heck I'm there already.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Please. Eddie was a fan favorite, but he is not the reason that butts were in seats.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 AM   #23
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Quote:
This is a stretch. Najera? More popular than Dirk or Finley? Come on now. That's insane. I love the guy, but this just makes no sense.
Gates and I are the richest men on Earth. I think he made a similar point adding up; however, Dirk's popularity is way higher than Nash and Eddie's combined, I think. But maybe not Finley's, even being high enough.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:52 AM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Please. Eddie was a fan favorite, but he is not the reason that butts were in seats.
I should clarify.....

Some people likely purchased game tickets to see Eddie play. Ex. southern_sweets

Most people are there to see Dirk, Finley or the Mavs in general. My hso.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:20 PM   #25
Chef Ed

Chef Ed is on a distinguished road

If anyone thinks that Mr. Cuban is going to have a hard time marketing his team just because Eddie and Steve are gone they haven't been paying attention. And the part of the equation about Eddie's hispanic influence is not only missleading but it is insulting as well.

If Mark Cuban can market a lame TV reality show just by giving away a million dollars he will have no problem marketing a team with Dirk Nowitzki on it. Or has anyone fortgotten Dennis Rodman.
Cuban knows how to market anything. He has made billions by doing just that, and just because he lost two very popular players on his team marketing it won't be a problem.

I just find it amusing that they talk about the billboards that MR. Cuban has to change. Isn't he the same person that decided to flood a city''s billboards with pictures of Michael Finley on them because he was excused from the All-star game? How much does it cost to change a billboard anyway?

I just don't think the writer gave Cuban the credit he deserves when it comes to the one thing he is better at than anyone, and that is marketing. Cuban will be fine, and so will the Mavericks.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #26
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
And the part of the equation about Eddie's hispanic influence is not only missleading but it is insulting as well.
Why is insulting?

Quote:
Cuban will be fine, and so will the Mavericks.
I think the same. Every change has a cost anyway, and they'll assume it.