Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-23-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notebook: Najera's Frustraton, Wallace mention

Notebook: Najera's frustration grows over leg injury
Muscles around forward's left knee still not strong enough

Friday, January 23, 2004
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

The extent of Eduardo Najera's left leg problem is becoming a source of frustration for the 6-8 forward.

Najera has missed the last 14 games with complications that have lingered from the knee surgery he had last season. He has not been physically right since his second year in the league.

"I led the team in dunks that year," Najera said Thursday. "Now, I can't move."

That's a bit of an exaggeration. But Najera is growing tired of being essentially a nonfactor this season. He averaged just 3.3 points and 3.1 rebounds before sitting down to rest his knee.

The problem is that the muscles around the knee had become so weak that Najera couldn't use his left leg to plant and jump. He could only dunk jumping off his right leg.

"I can only lift 160 pounds with my left leg," Najera said. "With my right leg, I can lift 280."

Najera believes he is about a week to 10 days from being able to practice. Coach Don Nelson said Najera's quadriceps muscles had weakened to the point that the knee couldn't handle the stress. Once Najera returns to practice, Nelson hopes to get him back on the court as soon as possible.

Rasheed derby heating up:

Sentiment around the NBA among personnel directors is that any trade involving Rasheed Wallace will come sooner than later. The deadline is Feb. 19, but several executives who have spoken with Portland officials believe things are moving quickly.

In addition, the trade the Blazers made with Cleveland that netted them Darius Miles, leaves Portland with 11 players on the active roster, and is viewed as a precursor to another deal.

Betting on Las Vegas?

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, along with Sacramento owners Gavin and Joe Maloof, had a conference call Thursday to tout Sunday's Kings-Mavs meeting. The hottest topic was expansion, and everybody agreed one place makes more sense than others.

"Baltimore possibly, but my first bet would be Las Vegas," Cuban said.

Briefly:

Marquis Daniels missed his second game in a row with the flu, and the rookie did not make the trip with the team to Chicago for tonight's game. ... Tony Delk is out of his walking boot and has begun getting motion back in his sprained left ankle. "We're going to be cautious and take it slow," he said.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:53 AM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:Notebook: Najera's Frustration, Wallace mention

I will be very interested in a resolution to this on-going Rasheed saga. I'm sure the fans in Portland feel the same way.

I would again add my concern about Eddie's knee too. I've commented several times, along with other members, that his knee is becoming a source of concern for his career. That's scary. Hopefully, he will heal just fine in another week and return to his old form.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:08 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I just hope Eddie doesn't become TAW Jr.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:14 AM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
I just hope Eddie doesn't become TAW Jr.
Unfortunately I would not be suprised. A large percentage of players whose game is predicated on explosive jumping ability have had their careers sidetracked by knee injuries.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:20 AM   #5
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Sadly, I wouldn't be too surprised if Eddie is never the same again, though I hope that isn't the case.

I just think that when a guy gives that much, even though he's that much overmatched, it's bound to come back on him. If he's not the same ever again, I think every fan can console themselves knowing that Najera gave all that his body allowed him to give for the Mavs.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Notebook: Najera's Frustration, Wallace mention

Just bad luck... I'm curious however why he's let his other leg get so weak? Sounds like an avoidance of the weight room.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:33 AM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Competing this summer didn't help. I'm sure he could have used the rest.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Just bad luck... I'm curious however why he's let his other leg get so weak? Sounds like an avoidance of the weight room.
They were talking last night on the TNT broadcast about Rick Fox, and apparently he's having the same problem (muscle atrophy) that Eddie's experiencing.

Old 01-23-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Nelson hopes to get him back on the court as soon as possible.
I think this is the main part of the problem. Always, 4-5 times or more, has been the same thing in 3 years; they throw Najera to play as soon as possible. Also he hasn't rested the summers. That knee -and the other- needs months of rest and rehab.

Quote:
"Baltimore possibly, but my first bet would be Las Vegas," Cuban said.
What about Monterrey?