Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 07-01-2001, 07:00 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Ok this may sound familiar ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) but if anyone is interested in writing for the site, whether it be once a month or once a week, let me know! I especially need well-written player bios (these HAVE to be good!).

Also, this week I'll be pm'ing a couple of you guys to see if you'd like to participate in the site's beta launch. This will take place for sure sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. You'll basically get to preview the site before anyone else and let me know of any potential problems/bugs. We're starting out relatively small so don't expect a full ESPN-like site or anything [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2001, 07:07 PM   #2
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

dj, I know my bro was interested in writing those player bios, and I know he'd be awesome at it- I'm gonna call him up in a few minutes to tell him happy birthday, and I'll tell him he needs to contact you if he's still interested...
Old 07-01-2001, 07:10 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks man! Let him know that I won't need the bios for another two weeks. Also, if he's interested in doing it, please have him send me a brief sample. I'd like for everyone to get involved with the site somehow (editorials, rants, etc) but the bios have to be damn good so I'm going to be real picky about 'em!
Old 07-01-2001, 07:12 PM   #4
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Sure thing...
Old 07-01-2001, 08:37 PM   #5
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'd help but I SUCK! at writing about stuff [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 03:07 PM   #6
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

I'll write for it DJ. I was an english major at Rice before moving up here.
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 06:25 PM   #7
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Regarding the beta test DJ. I could probably help you. I was working as a web designer/programmer for a couple years. And I mean HTML and JavaScript and not playing around with tools. I´m not doing it anymore now, cause I´m just finishing university and therefore lack the time. But I think I´m still in it enough to check a site for errors.
If you are interrested just send me an E-Mail. If not, NP.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 09:18 PM   #8
djb
Administrator

Thanks for the offer fidel! The term "beta-test" may be a bit misleading though, since the site in it's current form will not be dbase/script-driven. I'm looking more for feedback on the overall look/feel, as well as any problems (ie, broken links, messed up table settings, etc). Like my friend says, "just get something up! then we'll work from there!"

A real beta-test period will be in order in september, however, when I plan on move everything onto a dedicated server (and I'm sure the stats dbase will be sql-driven).
Old 07-04-2001, 07:06 PM   #9
djb
Administrator

To everyone interested in writing for the site, please e-mail me at djbacklash@dallas-mavs.com sometime this week or next with your topic ideas. Since the site's launch is about two weeks away, I'd like to give you all ample time to get your submissions in. Remember, writers of all experience levels are welcome! Here are some ideas to get you started:
[*]2001-2002 season preview[*]conference previews/analyses[*]match-ups (i.e., mavs/lakers, bradley/shaq)[*]player spotlights[*]editorials/rants[*]humor pieces

This site is created for you guys - the fans - so the more people who get involved, the better!
Old 07-04-2001, 10:44 PM   #10
Mavinator
Golden Member

dj, can I just write random crap for you every now and then throughout the season? I'd love to do that...
Old 07-06-2001, 07:21 PM   #11
djb
Administrator

Yea that'd be fine Mavinator.

C'mon I know we've got some great journalists here!
Old 07-07-2001, 12:00 AM   #12
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

I'm with Rob...I'd like to do something, but I'm not a writer.
Old 07-09-2001, 01:53 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

that's for sure flying tiger, you're definitely not a writer
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2001, 04:43 PM   #14
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

hahahaha...and you're no comedian.
Old 07-10-2001, 06:55 PM   #15
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

DJ...I'll help in any way possible. I would love to do matchups, bio's, a weekly column, etc. Heck, sometimes I even have an occasional bit of humor in me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] If you need any help, I'll do it.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2001, 07:00 PM   #16
djb
Administrator

Thx Crippler - that's exactly the reaction I'd hoped to get out of you guys! I still haven't heard from ANYONE yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but if you'd like to write something for the site's premiere, then perhaps that would get the ball rolling! Just let me know exactly you have in mind (I'm open to pretty much everything) and I'll let you know when to have it submitted. Thx again.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:03 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

The purpose of this site isn't to compete with the likes of DB.com (a site which I admire greatly) or any other current publication for that matter. So don't think you have to be a pro journalist or anything to write for the site! I want this place to be fun! That's about it really [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2001, 09:33 PM   #18
Mavinator
Golden Member

dj, if you want pieces before the opening and you're running short on writers, I'll throw something together for you. When do you need it?
Old 07-10-2001, 09:47 PM   #19
djb
Administrator

By next Friday (7-20) would be fine. That way I'll have enough time to take a look and proofread. Let me know what you've got in mind. Thx
Old 07-10-2001, 10:18 PM   #20
Mavinator
Golden Member

Hell, I don't know. Maybe an analysis of possible offseason moves? Er, a heartfelt sonnet dedicated to Calvin Booth? An editorial on why Theo Ratliff is an undersized overrated crappy center, and stop comparing him to Bradley? I'll get back to you...
Old 07-10-2001, 10:20 PM   #21
djb
Administrator

Considering the source, I'd have to say a piece on Bradley is a must [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2001, 10:23 PM   #22
Mavinator
Golden Member

I'll probably do that, since it'll be my opening work. Can I include HTML in the doc?
Old 07-10-2001, 10:29 PM   #23
Mavinator
Golden Member

Maybe I could have a monthly "Underrated Ugly White Center Spotlight". Think of the quality articles and characters! Bradley, Ostertag, Potapenko, Reeves, Ilgauskas, Geiger, Foster, Tabak, Nesterovic... I could go on for pages!
Old 07-10-2001, 10:37 PM   #24
Mavinator
Golden Member

I'm kidding.

Maybe.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:33 PM   #25
djb
Administrator

"The Big White Hype"
- By Mavinator (Guest Columnist)

Have you been reading Franz Kafka's posts over at DB.com? Hehhe the guy's got skills [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] He updates frequently too.
Old 07-10-2001, 11:35 PM   #26
djb
Administrator

What do you mean by html? Preferably I'd like you to send me the stuff in .doc format. If you want to include images, send those along too and let me know how you'd want it all formatted. I suppose you could send it to me in html, but chances are I'd change it up a bit to fit within the format of the site.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:38 PM   #27
Mavinator
Golden Member

Sure thing. I was just thinking along the lines of basic html, bold, italics, underlines, maybe some pictures and/or links.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:45 PM   #28
djb
Administrator

Sounds good man! Like I said, I'll most likely format it so it'll look good within the layout, but it'll be nice to have it in html format so I'll know how you'd want everything structured.

BTW, did you ever get a hold of Evil? There's still a ton of work to be done to the site so I'm in no rush to get those bios or anything. Let me know if he's still interested in writing them. Thx
Old 07-11-2001, 12:59 PM   #29
djb
Administrator

Murph, are you interested in getting a piece in sometime within the next two weeks?
Old 07-11-2001, 01:14 PM   #30
Mavinator
Golden Member

I'm working on the Evil situation...
Old 07-15-2001, 12:37 AM   #31
Mavinator
Golden Member

dj- Evilmav has about half of the player bios done and I told him you wanted them by Friday. He seems to be going all out, too... he apparently spent a few hours researching stats, personal history, and stuff for a bunch of the players...
Old 07-15-2001, 10:52 AM   #32
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Cool [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2001, 10:03 AM   #33
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

great, that's all we need...some biased profiles

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
i'll do them
Old 07-20-2001, 07:05 PM   #34
Mavinator
Golden Member

I was hoping Evilmav would do biased profiles, as we share most biases, but unfortunately he appears to be staying fairly objective. I wouldn't know for sure, though, I haven't gotten to read any yet...
Old 07-20-2001, 07:06 PM   #35
Mavinator
Golden Member

Oh crap, I was supposed to write an article!

Um.

That is to say, I have written the article in question, and will be emailing it to dj later on tonight...
Old 07-20-2001, 07:09 PM   #36
djb
Administrator

Don't sweat it Mavinator. I've been sidetracked quite a bit the last few days with web clients and of course studying for my cert exam next month. Just send me something next week if you're still interested in having something published online. Thx
Old 11-27-2001, 06:47 PM   #37
Murphy3
Guru

if you need a writer..i'll be glad to throw my 2 cents in..
i'll be out of school for...as long as i decide to stay out as of the 15th of december..and my brash but correct thoughts are just what any basketball fan would like to read
Old 12-04-2001, 09:04 PM   #38
mfflpatrick

mfflpatrick is on a distinguished road

I am a great writer, I would love to write about the mavs I haven't missed a game since I moved here from NC a year and a half ago.
mfflpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 02:21 AM   #39
Murphy3
Guru

hopefully i'll get to continue to do some mavs writing...we'll see though
Old 01-24-2002, 05:15 AM   #40
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Dj, im definately up for scribbling some mavs articles. Im an english major cause i like to write, and the mavs just happen to be an ideal subject matter. Just email me a subject matter or i can freelance some insightful columns this group would enjoy, and ill be sure not make my blatant dislike of Bradley too prominent.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]