Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #81
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

This article is spot on in my mind, Mavs won't miss the playoffs but "they just aren't that good" is correct. This team is mediocre.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #82
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I've got no problem with the article. Its a real possibility that the Mavs will miss the playoff. My only problem is this part.

Quote:
And even with everything more or less going right and most of the competition suffering form serious problems, they still can't pull away -- because basically, they just aren't that good.
I think he's overstating the "serious problems" of the other teams in comparison to what's been happening with the Mavs. For example, the Spurs have had Parker and Manu back for weeks, and haven't "pulled away" either.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:38 AM   #83
cowdog80

cowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of lightcowdog80 is a glorious beacon of light

Hollinger was much more likable until his formula "picked" the Spurs to win the championship in 2007.

Ever since he got that one right, he's been loving the smell of his own farts way too much.
cowdog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #84
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Thousands of people predicted that without some crazy formula.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #85
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Why is it than when someone makes a prediction against the team you root for, than that someone is "stupid" or at the very least biased? Why is it hard to accept that the person might have legitimate reasons for that opinion.

Fact is the Mavs have had an easy schedule, yet they struggle even against weak teams. A good team in the west will miss the playoffs, and it might not be a surprise if the Mavs are that team.

Even if he doesn't predict everything correctly, Hollinger still does very well with his stats. He has been correct on the champions the last two years when popular opinion was picking another team. And his articles remain the most insightful out of any writer out there. He is by far my favourite writer, telling me something that I might have missed.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #86
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe Hollinger wants us to do some trade or else "I'll fail you on the playoff machine"..
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #87
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
Maybe Hollinger wants us to do some trade or else "I'll fail you on the playoff machine"..
I can live with that explanation...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM   #88
hamb

hamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the rough

let them underestimate the mavs. maybe it will light a fire under their tushes and make the team play with some sense of purpose.

regardless, after the next two weeks we'll see how badly we're getting our asses handed to us and will force the front office into making a rash trade.
hamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #89
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by endrity View Post
Why is it than when someone makes a prediction against the team you root for, than that someone is "stupid" or at the very least biased? Why is it hard to accept that the person might have legitimate reasons for that opinion.
The same reason you boo any call against the Mavs at a game - even if its a good call.

The biggest problem isn't that he's picked the Mavs, its the methods he used to pick them. He basically just picked the team that was 9th in his computer rankings and then made up reasons that apply to other teams just as easily for why we'll be the odd team out.

I don't have a problem with him picking the Mavs. In fact, I like it. I have a problem with his BS reasoning for picking them. He should just say that they're 9th in West Playoff odds and, because he believes in his rankings, they're the most likely team to not make it.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #90
RolandoP

RolandoP will become famous soon enoughRolandoP will become famous soon enough

You guys talking about Hollinger is what justifies him in the first place, imo. If everybody would just ignore him, he probably wouldn't be around much longer. So he's actually doing a good job at keeping his job, by throwing around the stuff he does. The only reason that that guy still has a job is because everybody IS talking about him and subsequently about ESPN, which is the whole point anyways. Again, just my 2 cents.
RolandoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #91
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandoP View Post
You guys talking about Hollinger is what justifies him in the first place, imo. If everybody would just ignore him, he probably wouldn't be around much longer. So he's actually doing a good job at keeping his job, by throwing around the stuff he does. The only reason that that guy still has a job is because everybody IS talking about him and subsequently about ESPN, which is the whole point anyways. Again, just my 2 cents.
He is their best writer, no doubt ESPN should keep him.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM   #92
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He is their best writer, no doubt ESPN should keep him.
Marc Stein is ESPN's best NBA guy, and it's really not all that close. Hollinger is great with numbers and has devised a clever system, but Stein has built up an incredible network of sources that confide in him, and he is probably more respected than any other NBA journalist in the country.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #93
endrity
Platinum Member

I don't know how unbiased you are with that since Stein is a Dallas resident, and a not so hidden Mavs fan.

But yes, if anyone challenges Hollinger is Stein. The only one. I still like Hollinger a bit better because he says things that are not so obvious. But after those two it's a huge gap.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #94
endrity
Platinum Member

Guess he was right after all. Not even the injured Rox and Jazz are getting blown out the way we are lately. Call it a cycle, and blow the whole thing up. No need to patch what is broken. Trade Dirk to a contender so can win a championship, and aquire some cap space and picks. The rebuilding can't start one moment too late.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #95
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Guess he was right after all. Not even the injured Rox and Jazz are getting blown out the way we are lately. Call it a cycle, and blow the whole thing up. No need to patch what is broken. Trade Dirk to a contender so can win a championship, and aquire some cap space and picks. The rebuilding can't start one moment too late.

Still... we're ahead of Rox and Utah in the standings, even after going 2-7.

Rockets just lost by 21 to Toronto while on a 3 game skid and before that have had several bad losses.

Utah kinda the same deal, the have been beaten by bad teams.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #96
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

eat your words, john.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 AM   #97
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Injuries to Chris Paul, Jazz core players (Deron, AK, Boozer), and the Rockets constantly being unhealthy are probably things he wasn't banking on. Still, it's great to have that security for us, unless Utah makes a ridiculous push at the end of the season when everyones back and depending on how long Paul is out we should feel pretty safe right now.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #98
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This is a fun little web site to check concerning playoff odds:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NBA/W...Mavericks.html
Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #99
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

What he says makes alot of sense, as much as it sucks to hear. Ofcourse we want to ptove him wrong, but can we?
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #100
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Hollinger's "statistics"--and I put that in quotes, because I know statistical models, and Hollinger's models don't pass the test--predicted Nick Fazekas would be one of the top ten players in his draft class. Oops.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #101
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
Hollinger's "statistics"--and I put that in quotes, because I know statistical models, and Hollinger's models don't pass the test--predicted Nick Fazekas would be one of the top ten players in his draft class. Oops.

A massive LOL for that one.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #102
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly, he had Faz #7. I was hoping he was onto something...but clearly, he was not.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #103
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

As far as Im concerned Josh was out for a long stretch. On paper he is supposed to be our second best player...but yah, "everything went great for us so far no major injuries."

Sometimes I ask myself if analysts even watch some NBA games...
Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #104
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by candid_snoop41 View Post
Sometimes I ask myself if analysts even watch some NBA games...
a lot of them obviously don't

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote