Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #41
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

I see a legit playoff team some nights... a 9th place team other nights... I just wish I could see a contender team just once.

Based on my personal "eyeball" test I feel we are better than Phoenix and Portland. The other teams are so close to us that its hard to tell, and I'd pick the winner of a 7 game series with any of them based on who had homecourt.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #42
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

1. Hollinger isn't a Mav's hater. He was adamant about Dirk being MVP in '05-'06, and last year his system had the Mavs as the sixth best team.

2. He IS strictly a numbers guy. He assesses the game based on what his formulas crunch out. He very rarely deviates from what the numbers say.

3. Because he relies on formulas and retroactively warrants what the formula will crunch out, his analysis is a little off kilter. As far as a predictive system goes, Hollinger's is one of the best. It takes a massive data set as a baseline, then creates a pythagorean to assess the strength of a team by normalizing it to what historically happens. But the system has obvious, and probably unavoidable, errors:

- It is a system that favors a huge win and a close loss over two close wins since the pythagorean is based on MOV.
- It is a system that doesn't balance a specific team's tendencies (human factors) to e.g. avoid injury or get better over the season.
- It is a system that normalizes mid-season data to an end-season result and avoids the play on the numbers that could eventually happen. This takes me back to the Golden State series. At the start of the series Hollinger had us at about 75% to win the series. After the G1 loss, he said we were only 50%. That's the hazard of basing percentages on incomplete information.

So Hollinger's real failing here is to rely too much on his own numbers and go back to justify what the numbers say. But that's the same failing that provided the impetus for him to create a ranking in the first place, and I'm happier with some sort of barometer, imperfect as it may be, than with not having one at all. It does give us a good guideline for where this team stands. It doesn't account for human factors.. those are for messageboards.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.

Last edited by nowhereman; 01-08-2009 at 03:22 AM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 AM   #43
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see any "failing" here with Hollinger's article. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Mavs miss the playoffs.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 AM   #44
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I don't see any "failing" here with Hollinger's article. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Mavs miss the playoffs.
Your two sentences are actually unrelated. Hollinger's conclusion might well be the correct one. But that doesn't mean his analysis is 100% merited. If Hollinger were to predict today that the Cavs will win the championship (which he does), his prediction might come true, but his methodology might still have failed. His argument seems weak because he (as he historically always does) probably sets up his arguments based on what his numbers tell him, and his numbers can be infinitely permutated between now and the end of the season. Again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman
Hollinger's real failing here is to rely too much on his own numbers and go back to justify what the numbers say. But that's the same failing that provided the impetus for him to create a ranking in the first place, and I'm happier with some sort of barometer, imperfect as it may be, than with not having one at all. It does give us a good guideline for where this team stands. It doesn't account for human factors.. those are for messageboards.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.

Last edited by nowhereman; 01-08-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #45
nowhereman
Diamond Member

For the record, i would be mildly surprised if the Mavs did not make the playoffs. But it comes down to the result of immeasurable late-season scenarios. The Hollinger rankings exist to tell us basically where a team stands, based on objective (quantitative) measurements. But like I said, there's a ton of human factors, and the fact that the numbers will change considerably over the course of the season, and therefore there is a considerable margin of error in his calculations and his opinions. A much greater margin of error than the seperation between teams 2 and 9.

I don't agree with Hollinger's textual analysis here, and I do indeed think he worked backwards from a numerical conclusion to explain why the numbers turned out the way they did. When you're cranking out articles daily for the worldwide leader, it becomes a useful heuristic for analysis. We watch the team very closely, and we will all say that you can't really sell short the Mav's recent clutchness in the 4th quarter (memphis aside), Dirk Nowitzki's track record, and the fact that if this team is struggling near the allstar break it very well might swing for the fences with another trade. What everyone can agree on is that there isn't any real seperation demonstrated yet.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 AM   #46
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Dirk Nowitzki.

Honestly, this team might be bad enough that 'just making the playoffs' will be the season's storyline. I don't know. What I do know is that I trust Dirk to carry us into the playoffs waaay more than I would trust Tracy McGrady or Roy.
I second that. Dirk is too good to not lead the Mavs to at least the 6th seed. If Dirk, Terry, Kidd and Dampier continue to play well together we have a good chance to not only get into the playoffs but win in the first round too. But any further success requires a miracle, or a trade that really improves the roster.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #47
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

If I had to bet money on who would make the playoffs I'd bet money on the mavs. I think they will make it in at 7th or 8th place in standings
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #48
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

One injury to any star on any team Hollinger just mentioned and you can toss his numbers out the window... Same applies to a trade...

The NBA isn't a play-by-numbers sport - no sport is... That's why they call it a "sport"...

Chaos happens outside the vacuum of mathematical formulas - that's why we enjoy watching sports... Otherwise you can just build a team, run the numbers, hand out the trophy, and skip the season!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #49
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
If I had to bet money on who would make the playoffs I'd bet money on the mavs. I think they will make it in at 7th or 8th place in standings

Even tho the West is much tougher, the Mavs are likely to seed higher and have more wins than the NJNETS.

*Here I found you a new home. Try this place out, and forget this place ever existed.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #50
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Even tho the West is much tougher, the Mavs are likely to seed higher and have more wins than the NJNETS.

*Here I found you a new home. Try this place out, and forget this place ever existed.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
I never said Nets were going to have more wins why are you bringging it back to the Nets. I thought at the beginning of the season and still think Mavs will only be in the playoffs at 7th or 8th seed and even if they are higher in seed I think the highest they go in 6th, and with the team right now I don't think they would do much in the playoffs.

and I already post there but thanks for the link anyway a little later there

Last edited by basketballgirl25; 01-08-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #51
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never said Nets were going to have more wins why are you bringging it back to the Nets. I thought at the beginning of the season and still think Mavs will only be in the playoffs at 7th or 8th seed

and I already post there but thanks for the link anyway a little later there

1)Because you are a nets fan.

2)What does that mean? a little later there...? Is it possible to check or do a once over before you press send on your comments? Every oner of yoursers are liked this ways. It's not brain seargentry!

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-08-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #52
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
1)Because you are a nets fan.

2)What does that mean? a little later there...? Is it possible to check or do a once over before you press send on your comments? Every oner of yoursers are liked this ways. It's not brain seargentry!
Yeah I am a Nets fans, but I didn't bring them up, so you didn't have to make a comment about them. You could have just said you think the mavs will be higher then 7th or 8th seed

And what I meant was "a little late there" meaning I already knew about the other site
Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #53
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Yeah I am a Nets fans, but I didn't bring them up, so you didn't have to make a comment about them. You could have just said you think the mavs will be higher then 7th or 8th seed

And what I meant was "a little late there" meaning I already knew about the other site

Yeah, well if you are going to stay here and annoy the hell out of 98% of us then I think I will rag on your stupid .500 team.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #54
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, well if you are going to stay here and annoy the hell out of 98% of us then I think I will rag on your stupid .500 team.
Only 98%?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #55
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Only 98%?

I did the research and there seems to be 2% that think they can maybe get some....
Old 01-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #56
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
ok

Old 01-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #57
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Shes trying to woo you with some kind of odd Apple propaganda.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #58
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
As Dirk would say "Obviously".

Without a trade that brings instant chemistry and balanced offense consistently it's pointless to think that if we make the playoffs we stand a chance anyway. I think it's pissing in the wind as to who is left out of the playoffs. Anything can happen and injuries will take a toll on some team. I'm just looking to our future because we got nothing as currently built. Just need to get moving FO, come on.

I guess you mean to go after a trade which includes Howard

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #59
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
Hollinger probably confuses himself more than he confuses other people.
Or he asked Josh about his dealer before writing his column

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #60
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Quote:

So what the heck are you doing here?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #61
MavericksFan5912

MavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
I don't think the Mavs will miss the playoffs, but what Hollinger says is not farfetchd at all. What has been our major injury? Josh Howard seriously should not count. We've been healthy all year and have only amassed a 21-13 record, 5-9 against +.500 teams, and have had a bunch of nailbiters against bad teams.

The Mavs need to raise their level of play because the competition is about to get better.

I totally agree. The competition in the second half of the season is much tougher than in the first, as the playoff races begin to tighten. Does anyone else here think that Dallas should be developing and playing point guards like JJ Barea MORE than they play Jason Kidd? Does anyone else here see Kidd as a liability on both ends of the floor the way I do?
MavericksFan5912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #62
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
ok

Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #63
nowhereman
Diamond Member

Quote:
I spend 10 minutes on a well thought out response and you follow it up with this sh*t and completely derail the thread. thanks, cooze.

Quote:
Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #64
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksFan5912 View Post
Does anyone else here see Kidd as a liability on both ends of the floor the way I do?
Only the folks that don't have eyes.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #65
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
I guess you mean to go after a trade which includes Howard

Oh yes. It has to be Howard, as far as getting a key piece in return.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #66
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:

I wouldn't call mavs a sinking ship now they are more like this kind
Old 01-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #67
SMC0007
Guru

That is the Mavs sailing the glorious seas of a winning record, unlike the NETS.

The NETS are in rought waters aboard the "FOREVER SHITTY".

Old 01-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #68
SMC0007
Guru

Nowhereman, why did you give me bad rep for this?

"I'm ruining it for everyone"? What does that mean?

(Am I not supposed to say if someone gives me neg rep?)
Old 01-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #69
Dallas2009CHAMPS

Dallas2009CHAMPS will become famous soon enough

zing
Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #70
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
That is the Mavs sailing the glorious seas of a winning record, unlike the NETS.

The NETS are in rought waters aboard the "FOREVER SHITTY".

well if the Mavs booked on and are sailing the glorious seas I hope they don't choose Carnival the cheapest line of them all

and the Nets aren't aboard that ship Brook wouldn't not allow that to happen they would be booked on this ship

^with Slash of course, and that really is Slash no joke he was on my cruise
Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #71
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So...That Hollinger...that guy sucks.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #72
hamb

hamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the roughhamb is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
well if the Mavs booked on and are sailing the glorious seas I hope they don't choose Carnival the cheapest line of them all

and the Nets aren't aboard that ship Brook wouldn't not allow that to happen they would be booked on this ship

stalker
hamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #73
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You bitch! I don't know who that guy is, but you ruined his cruise with your ugly face and foul stench.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #74
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
You bitch! I don't know who that guy is, but you ruined his cruise with your ugly face and foul stench.
He was the former guitarist of Guns'n'Roses (85-96) and is now playing for Velvet Revolver. He is not that unknown...
But for the latter part of your post: Yeah, could have been a possibility...

Last edited by Sportstudi; 01-08-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #75
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
are you for real, you don't know who he is, you must live on a different planet or something, that's like someone not knowing who Dirk is, Guns n' Roses dude, Guns n' Roses

and I didn't ruin his cruise, sorry to say your wrong.

Last edited by basketballgirl25; 01-08-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #76
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
He was the former guitarist of Guns'n'Roses (85-96) and is now playing for Velvet Revolver. He is not that unknown...
But for the latter part of your post: Yeah, could have been a possibility...
I'm actually suprised by how many people don't know who slash is.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #77
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised how many threads in the Mavs section veer off into crap that doesn't remotely resemble sports talk.

If you want to share vacation stories, take it to the Lounge.

The Lounge would be the proper place for a "Hey look at me...I met a famous musician on a cruise ship" thread.

The middle of a Mavs related thread...not so much.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 01-08-2009 at 04:35 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #78
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post
I'm surprised how many threads in the Mavs section veer off into crap that doesn't remotely resemble sports talk.

The Lounge would be the proper place for a "Hey look at me...I met a famous musician on a cruise ship" thread.

You're right. But I just wanted to be polite and answer the question about that guy...

Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #79
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary View Post

hey sorry, but I didn't start it someone else brought up the Nets and it wasn't me. that's how it all started on this thread
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #80
SMC0007
Guru

I thought Slash was what the EMO kids went home and did if they had a bad day???

Ehh, I wonder if Hollinger knows who Slash is.

Go MAVS.