Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #1
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of
Default Mavs 104 Blazers 99

Good win by our beloved Mavs. We should be excited, but cautiously excited. The body and ball movement has looked wonderful these past few games, the offensive efficiency is off the charts, 49% + shooting in 4 straight games. The defensive, especially with games like Boston/Milwaukee in mind, has been much better.

I say cautiously excited because it is still only a 4 game sample for our beloved Mavs, I wanna see more of this before I jump to a conclusion that our Mavs have turned a corner

Now on to Utah tommorow, they are injury riddled but always tough at home. I just hope we can maintain the good body and ball movement we've showed the past few games

Our beloved J-Ho, can't really complain about how he's played lately. He made some nice passes tonight even, 2-3 assists? That's 2-3 more than we can expect out of J-Ho . Also a few nice cuts to the basket

Good stuff from Wright, he is a serviceable defender and his shot seems to be better lately.

As for the end of the game, not particularly concerned about it, just a few fluky shots by the Blazers plus we had Kidd and Dirk out, nothing to dwell on other than it hurts our margin of victory statistics.

No complaints about how the beloved Mavs have played the past 4 games. 4 wins, 3 v playoff teams and 1 v an elite team? 3 in blowout fashion? Can't ask for much more as a fan.

I still feel like our Mavs need to add 1 or 2 useful bodies to the roster (IE trade Stack for someone who will give us valuable minutes).
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Quote:
No complaints about how the beloved Mavs have played the past 4 games. 4 wins, 3 v playoff teams and 1 v an elite team? 3 in blowout fashion? Can't ask for much more as a fan.
Not to mention one of the blow out games was against Golden State, while not a play-off team, a team that we have bad blood with.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

The concern for me was really seeing a hesitancy when Portland ran the zone defense. I'm sure that will get addressed, but it would've been nice to just close that down as an option for opposing defenses. Granted, they didn't get shut down...things just didn't stay as efficient/aggressive as before. I'm sure it's going to be taken care of.

99.9% of the people around here will take a win with Dirk being off (b/c of fouls) and have him ready to go in Utah tomorrow. It's going to be hostile for him. Based on how he's been focused for the most part on this streak, I like his chances tomorrow.

Portland looks like it's a got a shot in the future. Oden is going to take some time, but you can see glimpses of what he can do. Roy is going to be a stud. I was pretty impressed with Bayliss tonight as well.

One thing they did which was the first I really noticed was that they tried to pressure the ball on Kidd or try to force Dallas to try get someone else to initiate the offense. I dunno if that is way off-base but I think I noticed that tonight. It would seem like something common sense for the opposing defense to try to do.

Again, all the guys who got in tonight stepped up and did what they needed to do. I think I'm seeing Wright as a mash-up of Griffin and Buckner. That is just the first thing that comes to mind when I see his game now.

Someone just needs to get in Josh's ear and say every quarter is the first quarter. Either way, I'll take what he gave us tonight.

Let's go to Utah and make it 5! HIGH FIVE!

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-04-2009 at 11:10 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #4
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

DA is 4-0!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

HIGH FIVE!
VERY NICE I LIKE!

Also Bass and J-Ho we're big in this game.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Man....you beat a team like that when Dirk only makes five shots and you've done something.

Balanced night all the way around. Damp and Dirk were the only regulars to turn in subpar games.

Josh really, really kept this team going in the first quarter and early second. He's playing awfully well right now, and even moving the ball within the offense. I don't know what to think about him. I defended him for so long and now I feel like I finally turned on him right before he turned a corner. I hope he keeps it up.

Bass was really, really good tonight. However, I still need more than 4 rebounds froma buy that plays 30+ minutes at PF and C.

I continue to be more and mroe pleased by what Wright brings.

Let's talk a second about Jason Kidd. I don't want to see another discussion about what Kidd brings and the merits of moving him without someone mentioning what Kidd has done for Jet's game. And I'm not even talking about all the easy shots Kidd generates for Jet. I'm talking about what position Kidd allows Jet to play.

There's a reason Jet never played off guard exclusively before Kidd got here. It's because on a night like tonight, if Jet is playing off guard he's guarding Brandon Roy, and getting torched. Kidd's versatility defensively allows the Mavs so many options even with a somehwat options-limiting player like Jet. And it's not just Kidd's size that allows him to guard some of the best off guard scorers, it's his savvy and overall devensive ability. Very few guards could guard the range of players that Kidd is able to guard right now.

So when you discuss trading away Kidd for this or that, remember that you also lose a ton of Jet's effectiveness as well.

Great win tonight, here's hoping we can take advantage of the injuries in Utah tomorrow.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't able to watch the game tonight, but whatever happened there at the end, I'll take another win against a playoff team.

Question for those who feel they have some insight. I see a lot of comments in the gameday thread talking about Dirk looking a bit off tonight, and his stat line does leave a bit to be desired relative to his own lofty standards, but he was +20 tonight. Does that reflect a cold spell the Blazers went on when he was on the court? A hot spell a couple Mavs went through? The fact that his presence just opened up good shot opportunities for his teammates? Just curious.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to like Wright a little more as well, although i'm really not willing to give the kid any praise yet. I thought before that he was surely a scrub but I guess he's been force fed this SG spot so he has to develop into something positive while getting these starting minutes. I like his D. I think he has to show more consistency on offense.

Last edited by Windmill360; 02-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Wasn't able to watch the game tonight, but whatever happened there at the end, I'll take another win against a playoff team.

Question for those who feel they have some insight. I see a lot of comments in the gameday thread talking about Dirk looking a bit off tonight, and his stat line does leave a bit to be desired relative to his own lofty standards, but he was +20 tonight. Does that reflect a cold spell the Blazers went on when he was on the court? A hot spell a couple Mavs went through? The fact that his presence just opened up good shot opportunities for his teammates? Just curious.
My guess would be that guys were able to step up while he was out there, Bass, Jet and even Wright were able to do something while he was slumping on the court. Josh clearly carried things while Dirk was OFF the court. It seemed like Portland was making a pretty decent run of it when Dirk was sitting out early in the game.

I think Wright needs to get some more credit, you can see some progression with him. Sorry Windmill, didn't see your post. He is gradually getting better and better. It's not a rapid development, but he's heading the right way. This is the Wright I saw last year when they were making a run. He was playing good D, attacking the rim, hitting the occasional jumper and able to see the court well. Wright and Kidd are able to do a lot of good things on defense.

To add to jthigs point about Kidd, your point about trading Kidd...I think one of the major proponents of that is no longer here. All cotton, no ____.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-04-2009 at 11:21 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:20 PM   #10
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Darrell Armstrong for Head Coach!!!

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #11
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Great post jthig.

Great win for the Mavs. It got closer than what I was hoping for, but it was a great win nonetheless.

Winning against a good Portland team while Dirk is obviously having an off game is always good. He clearly wasn't himself tonight. Maybe its the early foul trouble. Maybe its the physical defense and double teams he was facing. Whatever it was, he had a tough night. I'm sure he will bounce back tomorrow.

Josh has been very efficient these past 4 games. I don't know what has caused this to happen, but whatever it is, its something to be thankful for. He hasn't forced too many shots. He has played within the offense. And what I have seen is that he seems to listen to Kidd now. And that will always be a good thing.

JET didn't start out too well, but he was crucial down the stretch. He really seems to really benefit from playing with Kidd.

Bass was great in this game. His mid range jumper has been very good and he seems to have developed these post moves which I haven't seen him do earlier in the season. He had a fantastic shooting night tonight. I would have preferred more rebounds though.

JKidd... what can I say. He completely took control of the game and took over in the 4th quarter. He made so many crucial plays in the final quarter which gave the Mavs the momentum going into the final 2 minutes of the game. He really has been huge these past 4 games. Kidd is a very cerebral player who has unbelievable basketball IQ and uncanny court vision. When a coach "restricts" his play and tells him what to do most of the time, Kidd isn't "locked in" ... and that doesn't maximize his unique abilities. I'm extremely ecstatic that Carlisle has given him the freedom to call plays and run the team because this will allow him to do what he does best and this will benefit the Mavs.

Last edited by monty55555; 02-05-2009 at 01:31 AM.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #12
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Way to go Kidd, for moving up the list in Career Assist Record.

You've come a long way young Jedi.

Last edited by craggmac; 02-04-2009 at 11:58 PM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #13
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Let's talk a second about Jason Kidd. I don't want to see another discussion about what Kidd brings and the merits of moving him without someone mentioning what Kidd has done for Jet's game. And I'm not even talking about all the easy shots Kidd generates for Jet. I'm talking about what position Kidd allows Jet to play.

There's a reason Jet never played off guard exclusively before Kidd got here. It's because on a night like tonight, if Jet is playing off guard he's guarding Brandon Roy, and getting torched. Kidd's versatility defensively allows the Mavs so many options even with a somehwat options-limiting player like Jet. And it's not just Kidd's size that allows him to guard some of the best off guard scorers, it's his savvy and overall devensive ability. Very few guards could guard the range of players that Kidd is able to guard right now.
You're absolutely right. Kidd is the perfect point guard for Terry.

Great win tonight. I was able to watch every second of it from work
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
eyedentifyme

eyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rougheyedentifyme is a jewel in the rough

Yes another great win.
eyedentifyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 PM   #15
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't understand what you're getting at. If JET was at point he still wouldn't be lights out from the field? The shots JET get for the most part are off the dribble. I give credit to Kidd for his play in this recent stretch but I won't give him credit for Jet's play. Jet's been great and he deserves all the credit.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I don't understand what you're getting at. If JET was at point he still wouldn't be lights out from the field? The shots JET get for the most part are off the dribble. I give credit to Kidd for his play in this recent stretch but I won't give him credit for Jet's play. Jet's been great and he deserves all the credit.
I don't want to put words in his mouth but I think he's talking on the defensive side of the court as well. Kidd's defensive abilities help protect the faults Terry has in his defensive game. Wright can do that as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 AM   #17
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's saying that Jet wouldn't be able to play as much, or as effectively, at his natural 2-guard position because he's such a defensive liability agains the other team's 2-guards (especially bigger ones). Kidd's presence allows RC to play Jet without worry, because Kidd can just guard the other team's 2.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:20 AM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

BTW, it's really sad how this board lights up and is all systems go when we LOSE.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Jet has been freed of trying to run the offense...it's a big weight off his shoulder. He can now do what he does best and that's score...He's scoring and playmaking when he has the ball...but he doesn't have to worry about posting up dirk or josh. Or bringing the ball up against the press..his handles aren't good enough for that.

Also with respect to the dirkster tonight...he was pretty tentative after he picked up that third. Also the refs were horrible tonight...both sides. Just horribly amateurish. I thought he should have gotten some calls in paint but didn't and pulled back a little bit.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #20
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
He's saying that Jet wouldn't be able to play as much, or as effectively, at his natural 2-guard position because he's such a defensive liability agains the other team's 2-guards (especially bigger ones). Kidd's presence allows RC to play Jet without worry, because Kidd can just guard the other team's 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I don't want to put words in his mouth but I think he's talking on the defensive side of the court as well. Kidd's defensive abilities help protect the faults Terry has in his defensive game. Wright can do that as well.

Good points. I didn't even think about the defensive end. What do you guys think happens when a team comes in with a legit 2 guard and a fast and all star caliber pg? Do you guys think the Mavs suffer?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Good points. I didn't even think about the defensive end. What do you guys think happens when a team comes in with a legit 2 guard and a fast and all star caliber pg? Do you guys think the Mavs suffer?
Not as worse as we could be, that's where Wright comes in to play. Wright isn't a stud defender by any means, but he also gets the respect of a rookie a lot of times. He gets a lot of chippy fouls called on him and it can kill his rhythm. He has a pretty decent range of players he can defend. He can't shut any of them down really, but he can stay in front of them and make them work hard for the buckets.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #22
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It might go something like this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281219017

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:45 AM   #23
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 02-05-2009, 12:47 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His arse has slowed WAAAY down since then.

(not that I don't miss him)
Old 02-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #25
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

As a Mavs fan, I am so incredibly envious of the 23-27 New Jersey Nets.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #26
catsil

catsil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

So when you discuss trading away Kidd for this or that, remember that you also lose a ton of Jet's effectiveness as well.
Hmm, you're absolutely right, Kidd is the right PG for Terry. It reminds me of the Eric Snow-Allen Iverson combo where Snow guards Kobe and those tough 2 guards. Nowadays, besides age, Iverson gets more exposed defensively because Stuckey can't cover for him.
catsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #27
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Gotta hand it to our bench guys they really showed up today! Bass and Terry hot as usual and an unexpected performance from JJB!

I was wondering...how fast is JJB when he drives? He looks pretty quick when the defense can't keep up...I wish JJB was taller...oh yeah
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #28
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
As a Mavs fan, I am so incredibly envious of the 23-27 New Jersey Nets.
Fair enough. But we most definitely have defensive backcourt issues against teams with waterbug PGs and dynamic offensive SGs.

Exhibit B: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290125002

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.

Last edited by nowhereman; 02-05-2009 at 01:37 AM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #29
LonghornDub

Quote:
Fair enough. But we most definitely have defensive backcourt issues against teams with waterbug PGs and dynamic offensive SGs.

Exhibit B: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290125002
Boston is an awesome team, period. You could slap Devin back on this team and replay that game and the result probably doesn't change much. They're just a considerably better team than the Mavs right now.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 AM   #30
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

We'd had perimeter defensive issues for years.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #31
Dnowit41

Dnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to allDnowit41 is a name known to all

Carlisle makes the move to put Kidd in charge of the offense. So far so good with all wins.
Dnowit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #32
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The real sweet cream to all of this is Houston, Phoenix and NO all losing.

I really do think the Mavs are better than all of them, including Utah.

So, at the end of the day, are we Lakers/Spurs worthy? Probably not. But playing as the third best team in the west right now is all you can ask for considering the see-saw season. Ok, forgot Denver, so 4th best. Still, if the Mavs can somehow finish with home-court in the first round, I consider this regular season a pretty big success.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #33
xavier

xavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the roughxavier is a jewel in the rough

I like what Im seeing lately. I hope that this doesnt fool the FO as we still HAVE to make a trade if we want to win atleast one series in the post-season.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #34
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

they've looked like a markedly different team of late....kinda want to see them take it on the road and show some stones on the 2nd night of a back to back.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #35
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier View Post
I like what Im seeing lately. I hope that this doesnt fool the FO as we still HAVE to make a trade if we want to win atleast one series in the post-season.
That's what I've been thinking too. We still need an upgrade of some kind. It's exactly this kind of a lazy attitute from the FO that allowed the talent level to erode. Even at your very best you still need to make sure you add talent, and Dallas didn't do that for a long time and quickly found itself behind other teams.

There is a clear opportunity to grab the 4th spot right now. And the Mavs have as good a chance as all the other teams. But in order to make some noise once they have that 4th spot, they still need some more production. Unless Wright somehow blossoms into something else, we need to trade Stacl's contract for some player.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #36
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Why stop at 4th? I'm looking at that number 1 spot!!

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Why stop at 4th? I'm looking at that number 1 spot!!
1-3 are way ahead of us, we'd need some miracle to finish above 4th.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #38
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

We're four games from second place. If the Spurs go 22-12 and we go 26-8 the rest of the way, then we'll be ahead of them. Is that too much to ask as a fan? Four games does not constitute needing a miracle with 34 games left.

Contact Me
Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 AM   #39
endrity
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
We're four games from second place. If the Spurs go 22-12 and we go 26-8 the rest of the way, then we'll be ahead of them. Is that too much to ask as a fan? Four games does not constitute needing a miracle with 34 games left.
Given that the Spurs historically play better in the second half of the season, and they are starting to do so again, yes, it's very hard. 4 games is not a large margin, but it's not a small one either.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #40
alby
Guru

I'm just saying, you never know... The f'ing Rockets won 22 straight last year somehow.

Contact Me

Tags
dancing bball pants