Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #41
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I feel like a fool watching NBA basketball with a performance like that.

I'm going to re-affirm though that this has nothing to do with the Mavericks being mediocre talent wise. Even mediocre teams can manage not to lose by 28 points. You lose by 28 because the coaches and players failed to properly prepare for the game. This is pretty alarming considering you have two hall of famers and 200 coaches.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #42
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
We are saying stuff like this way too often this season.

I agre, but I only say he gets a pass because of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80pl6...layer_embedded

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #43
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Sometimes I feel like a fool watching NBA basketball with a performance like that.

I'm going to re-affirm though that this has nothing to do with the Mavericks being mediocre talent wise. Even mediocre teams can manage not to lose by 28 points. You lose by 28 because the coaches and players failed to properly prepare for the game. This is pretty alarming considering you have two hall of famers and 200 coaches.
I wonder where do the Mavs rank in 20+ losses compared to the horrible teams? Reason I ask is you make up a good point. I think losing by 20 points says a lot more about preparation than it does the talent. And i'm one of the ones who think this teams talent level is very low.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 02-06-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #44
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I think part of this may be true but I would chalk it up to everyone being worn out on a b2b night.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #45
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDirkfan View Post
You thought it sucked watching it on tv? Try being there in Utah on the 12th row watching that ****! It was an absolute joke! You could tell the Mavs didn't have it in them and that they were tired. I was hoping it would have been a close game. Instead I had to hear all the Utah fans talk trash to me. Not like they know how to trash talk which makes it that much worse.

Damn! What a disappointing game!
Utah Jazz fans: "hah! Dirk doesn't know the password he has say in front of Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith and Eloheim! HAHAHAHA! Suffer, you mavs fan! I bet he doesn't wear magical underwear! HAHAHAHA! Suffer! He'll never be in the New Paradise in Missouri!"
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #46
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

a -- dhws makes an excellent point -- a talent deficit causes you to lose by 8, losses of this magnitude are something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think part of this may be true but I would chalk it up to everyone being worn out on a b2b night.
Was it '07 or '06 when the mavs had a ridiculously good record on the 2nd night of b2b's? One or the other, can't remember which--I just think that performance on the 2nd night of a b2b is some indication of fight and determination--this year they don't have it.

anyhoo...if we're going to excuse the loss in Utah because it was 2nd night of a b2b, then let's just toss the wins in Miami and Orlando out the window as well, because both of those games were against teams playing the 2nd night of a b2b.

And once we throw out wins against Miami and Orlando, we're pretty much back to a team that has as many blow out losses as decent wins in recent history.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #47
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #48
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
it really is. big freaking chunks of sky are falling all over the place, and it pisses me off.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #49
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

We're fine. I will however be upset after the deadline and nothing has happened.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:06 PM   #50
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty View Post
We're fine. I will however be upset after the deadline and nothing has happened.
I'd start sharpening my pitchfork then, if I were you.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #51
alexamenos
Diamond Member

I don't think we're fine, I think we're very, very far from fine. We're an aged, over-paid and undermotivated team on top side of a long and ugly descent down hill.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #52
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Old 02-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #53
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default the mob is getting restless

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #54
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Just build around them. Mortgage everything. Be the Celtics, have three hall of famers and the cheap veterans will soon follow. I mean, they just proved it.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #55
alexamenos
Diamond Member

I wear a helmet every time I go outside to keep big chunks of sky from cracking my noggin.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #56
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post

Just build around them. Mortgage everything. Be the Celtics, have three hall of famers and the cheap veterans will soon follow. I mean, they just proved it.
We mortgaged the future last year to get Kidd. There are no more futures to mortgage.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #57
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

When I suggested we mortgaged our future one year ago, everyone yelled at me.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #58
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I was out last night, so I DVRed the game with the intention of not seeing the score and watching it today. But then I got to the bar where we were going and it was on all 27 TV's they had there.

Needless to say, I'm glad I was at a location with alcohol readily available.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #59
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
When I suggested we mortgaged our future one year ago, everyone yelled at me.
Quiet, you!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 PM   #60
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
We mortgaged the future last year to get Kidd. There are no more futures to mortgage.
Mortgate the rest of it. All or Nothing.

Contact Me
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #61
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Woooooooaaaah. Overreact much? This was a back to back in UTAH. I swear this board is full of bi-polar wrist cutting fans. Why don't we just wait and see what happens in the next few games (including the Celtics coming to town) before going a bit nuts. I think Utah is 18-1 against the west at home... maybe 19-1 now.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM   #62
alby
Guru

I've always wanted us to swing for the fences. Kidd was the first step in the right direction, let's keep going.

Contact Me
Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #63
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Is it me or were the Jazz allowed to just beat the crap out of Dirk last night. No one can get handled that way and have a good offensive game. No one.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #64
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Its just you . Because Dirk SUCKED last nite

Dirk disappears against the Jazz every time and against Garnett. I fully expect him to play like a lil bitch against KG next week, but I hope he proves me wrong.

There is a HUGE diff. between haveing a bad game and playing like Dirk has in some of these games

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #65
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsar View Post
Woooooooaaaah. Overreact much? This was a back to back in UTAH. I swear this board is full of bi-polar wrist cutting fans.
My bad....obviously I'm over-reacting, knee-jerking, etc....I do hope you'll tell when it's no longer too early to form an opinion on this team.

By my reckoning they've played 77 regular season games since the Kidd trade....I'm no NBA expert, but I think 77 games is almost the equivalent of a full regular season together and it would seem to me that a full regular season together is more than an adequate time to get a sense of a team...

....and my sense of this team is that they are old, over-paid and under-motivated and wholly incapable of winning 4 out of seven games against any of the leagues' better teams...

So....if playing the 2nd night of a b2b is sufficient reason to discount a loss, shouldn't we also discount wins against teams playing the 2nd night of a b2b? Seems reasonable to me...that in mind the mavs over their last several games when not playing on 2nd night of a b2b, or against a team playing the 2nd night of a b2b...

Loss at Suns (blowout)
Loss at Kings
Loss at Denver
Win v. Philly
Loss at Mil (blowout)
Win at Detroit
Loss at Boston (blowout)
Win v. Golden Shower
Win v. Portland

That's a 4-5 record with more blowout losses than impressive wins....not good.

Arguably, the over-reacting that is occuring around here is not what we see after a blowout loss, but the reactions we see after blowout wins...

Last edited by alexamenos; 02-06-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: oops -- 77 games
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #66
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's trade Dirk!
Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #67
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I swear this board is full of bi-polar wrist cutting fans.
we follow a bi-polar wrist cutting team.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #68
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
Mortgate the rest of it. All or Nothing.
There is no rest of it. It took the 5th pick in the draft to get Ray Allen and a 20/10 center plus picks to get KG. Hell it took a young PG with potential and two first rounders to get Kidd. We don't have anything approaching that. This is our team.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #69
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
We are saying stuff like this way too often this season.
You are right. Every bad game Dirk has had, he has received a pass for it. If it just becomes acceptable to perform sub-par, then we are lowering our standards which ultimately affects the teams success.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM   #70
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO View Post
Its just you . Because Dirk SUCKED last nite

Dirk disappears against the Jazz every time and against Garnett. I fully expect him to play like a lil bitch against KG next week, but I hope he proves me wrong.

There is a HUGE diff. between haveing a bad game and playing like Dirk has in some of these games
Didn't Dirk average 30/15 against KG's Wolves in the first round of the playoffs?

Sorry just proving your every time theory wrong there.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #71
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Woooooooaaaah. Overreact much? This was a back to back in UTAH. I swear this board is full of bi-polar wrist cutting fans. Why don't we just wait and see what happens in the next few games (including the Celtics coming to town) before going a bit nuts. I think Utah is 18-1 against the west at home... maybe 19-1 now.
It's not the loss, it's the no-show. What are the Mavs worth now? Prob 500 mil? And you can't play with a little effort on a still important road game? Against Utah who is arguably just as, if not more, mediocre than us?

And WHOA like overracting much to the Milwauke blowout and the Celtics blowout.....

Who would react negatively to that kinda stuff?

Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #72
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylstar View Post
Is it me or were the Jazz allowed to just beat the crap out of Dirk last night. No one can get handled that way and have a good offensive game. No one.
Don't make excuses for Dirk. Maybe some nights but not last night. He had a bad game. Its that simple. No one wants to get rid of him for it but he did have a bad game. He'll more than likely be back to his old self by next game.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #73
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

"We like our team".
Old 02-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #74
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
There is no rest of it. It took the 5th pick in the draft to get Ray Allen and a 20/10 center plus picks to get KG. Hell it took a young PG with potential and two first rounders to get Kidd. We don't have anything approaching that. This is our team.
Yea I think people underrate how much exactly the Celtics gave up to get that team they have. They were so bad that they built up enough draft picks and youth to be able to get a Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett. Its impossible to do that when you keep getting the 7th or 8th seed. Its the worst spot to be in basketball. You're not bad enough to get a lottery pick but your not good enough to contend.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #75
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Like another poster said, Donnie Nelson needs to rape some other team to get a good trade. Otherwise, the only trades we'll see are chicken sh*t trades that would amount to nothing.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 PM   #76
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's not the loss, it's the no-show. What are the Mavs worth now? Prob 500 mil? And you can't play with a little effort on a still important road game? Against Utah who is arguably just as, if not more, mediocre than us?

And WHOA like overracting much to the Milwauke blowout and the Celtics blowout.....

Who would react negatively to that kinda stuff?
How long ago was that?? I am talking about recent relevant games

KG wasn't as physical back then and didnt intimidate Dirk much, but its obvious that when you do it once to him then you have done it to him for good because he will always be scared. As is the case with the Jazz and KG

Next week should prove that in the KG case, hope am wrong though. I dont think we need any more proof in the Jazz case

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #77
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

edit: sigh

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 02-06-2009 at 06:02 PM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #78
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm kind of afraid Sefko might share the same opinion as the FO:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...o.41d6de4.html
If the Mavericks' recent rise is maintained, it's logical to assume they will look for more of a small trade, a tweak, if you will. There is no reason for them to take a major risk in the trade market when the team has shown the sort of quality it has the last week.

Stein had this to say in his article
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...adetalk-090205
Miami, meanwhile, continues to pursue Dallas' Josh Howard, in spite of Mark Cuban's insistence that the Mavs won't do a Howard-for-Marion trade.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-06-2009 at 06:22 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #79
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been insanely busy today, and have read very little.

And let me preface this by saying that I have no idea what to believe about this team right now.

But I do want to throw out this question:

If the recent four game winning streak made you feel even slightly more hopeful about this team, how does one less, on a late back to back, in one of the toughest buildings in the NBA immediately get you right back to "blow it up".

I don't get it. I'm not saying I believe in this team. I have no idea. But I was encouraged by the win streak, and discouraged by last night. But last night does not completely wipe out all the encouragement.

I mean, we've always known that if Dirk sucks we won't win anything. During last season's playoffs Dirk was great and we still sucked. So games where Dirk absolutely sucks just don't concern me the same way games where everyone else sucks concerns me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:44 PM   #80
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
My bad....obviously I'm over-reacting, knee-jerking, etc....I do hope you'll tell when it's no longer too early to form an opinion on this team.

By my reckoning they've played 77 regular season games since the Kidd trade....I'm no NBA expert, but I think 77 games is almost the equivalent of a full regular season together and it would seem to me that a full regular season together is more than an adequate time to get a sense of a team...

....and my sense of this team is that they are old, over-paid and under-motivated and wholly incapable of winning 4 out of seven games against any of the leagues' better teams...

So....if playing the 2nd night of a b2b is sufficient reason to discount a loss, shouldn't we also discount wins against teams playing the 2nd night of a b2b? Seems reasonable to me...that in mind the mavs over their last several games when not playing on 2nd night of a b2b, or against a team playing the 2nd night of a b2b...

Loss at Suns (blowout)
Loss at Kings
Loss at Denver
Win v. Philly
Loss at Mil (blowout)
Win at Detroit
Loss at Boston (blowout)
Win v. Golden Shower
Win v. Portland

That's a 4-5 record with more blowout losses than impressive wins....not good.

Arguably, the over-reacting that is occuring around here is not what we see after a blowout loss, but the reactions we see after blowout wins...

Alexameanos, my friend, we're fine. at the end of the day it is just a game . Teams go from elite to mediocre all the time, Blazers/Kings/T-Wolves earlier this decade, Suns/Pistons/Mavs now . It's juts a cycle, our shot was '06 and '07 and we didn't convert, thanks to fluke BS shots and fluke BS whistles. It happens, no team can stay elite forever. even the Spurs are on the decline.

But calling the Mavs mediorce is selling them short, I think we're just a good team that isn't championship caliber. One thing I will say is 19 of the final 33 are at home. If we can go lets say.... 16-3 in the final 19 home games (Why not? 15-3 in past 18 since 0-4 disaster )... and sustain .500 play on the road that would be a 52-30 record. Pretty good, championship teams dont go 52-30 but its better than mediocre.

We're just gonna have to enjoy our beloved mavs, even if they aren't serious contenders this year.

I'm opposed to trading Josh, I like some of the stuff he's done lately although his shooting has been poor in 2 of the past 3 games. I just see better ball movement from him. That pass to the corner for terry's 3 last night? Cuts to the basket... that steal resulting in a layup last night. I dunno, these are little things I like from josh. I wouldn't trade him unless the offer was really good.

Im just hoping we can convert some of our corpses (Stackhouse, George) into a useful player. not a Gasol type trade but just a useful player? Mike Miller? John Salmons? These guys aren't all stars or anything.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burn my bball pants, it hurts when i pee, my anus is bleeding!