Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What happens with Noel?
Gets a contract from us 15 78.95%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with us next season 2 10.53%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with someone else next season 1 5.26%
Gets a contract Mavs don't match 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #681
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
No one to pay, but lots of flexibility to receive salary/ picks in a dump. Plus Noel's smaller cap hold gives us a lot of flexibility in the offseason. All in all Mavs got the better end of the deal.

I don't agree with that at all.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #682
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

What center?

[/url]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #683
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I tend to agree but Noel has to play well and stay healthy the entire season in order to get paid handsomely next off-season....pure plain and simple. If he even fakes an injury it will cost him dearly because he'll essentially prove what every GM fears.....that he can't stay healthy. If he doesn't elevate his game to the next level in Carlisle's system it will indicate he is at or near his ceiling which isn't anywhere near max level.

Mavs are completely in the driver's seat on this one and Cuban paying him anywhere near 20mil under the circumstances would be irresponsible and stupid on his part imo.
Cuban already offered 17.5. What another 2.5 we already there.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #684
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
What center?
Thats real pictures or photoshop? If its real pictures then probably Noel wasnt under contract yet when they took them
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #685
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
My prediction is that he plays out of his mind for 20 games, averaging 15-12-2-2 for a stretch helped by the rook

And also misses 25+ of the last 40 games because of injury

Tests the market and still doesn't get an offer above 18 next season
This could be his very best season. If that is the situation we don't want him back if he only puts up numbers comparable to Erick Dampier's season with Golden State before Dallas signed him. Dampier was never able to reproduce those numbers, and I feel like it could be much the same for Noel. I hope he can play smart basketball for 30 minutes without looking like McGregor in the last two rounds of last night's fight.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #686
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Thats real pictures or photoshop? If its real pictures then probably Noel wasnt under contract yet when they took them
Official release put out today.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #687
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

What seems to be lost in all of this is the fact that Nerlens chose to sign the QO. He closed any chance at further negotiations. And the only real reason he did that is because he wanted the max and nothing or not much less. Almost every reputable source pointed to him wanting that. He could have come back and restarted 17.5-20 mil a year, but he didn't because that's not what he wants. Plain and simple, this is on him.

Unfortunately, the Mavs are likely bad with or without Noel anyway. The West is so tough that it's the exact time to rebuild. I'm not losing sleep over not giving a quarter of the cap to a player to win 30 games. Hope he proves me wrong and we kick ass, but it's unlikely we have that much of a better season this year.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:38 AM   #688
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
What seems to be lost in all of this is the fact that Nerlens chose to sign the QO. He closed any chance at further negotiations. And the only real reason he did that is because he wanted the max and nothing or not much less. Almost every reputable source pointed to him wanting that. He could have come back and restarted 17.5-20 mil a year, but he didn't because that's not what he wants. Plain and simple, this is on him.

Unfortunately, the Mavs are likely bad with or without Noel anyway. The West is so tough that it's the exact time to rebuild. I'm not losing sleep over not giving a quarter of the cap to a player to win 30 games. Hope he proves me wrong and we kick ass, but it's unlikely we have that much of a better season this year.
While I agree mostly, it just sets up back even further on the rebuild + Dirk again shows why players should never take discounts (Dirk is god still). I put the blame on both parties. Cuban is always trying to be the smartest guy in the room and it backfires. If this was the first FA debacle, Mavs would get a pass.

I really would like to know what happened from the point Noel switched agents to Noel signing the QO. You would think there would be some reconvening at the table.

Im not mad anymore. More resigned that this will most likely be the last season for Noel in Dallas and then we'll go after another center in the offseason. I just want Dirk's last season to be somewhat memorable.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:04 AM   #689
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Dirk again shows why players should never take discounts
Players shouldn't, but future part-owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Dirk Nowitzki, can afford to give up a few mil. and not lose any sleep over it.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:00 AM   #690
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Dallas Morning reported he would have settled for 20M. Not sure how credible his mom is, but it's out there. I'm with Locked on Mavs here, which more or less concluded the following timeline:

- Mavs offer 4/70 on July 1st, Noel declines, wants the max
- Noel and agent seek out other offers, there are none, eventually fires agent
- Noel gets back to Mavs with new agent, starts negotiations at 22M per. Mavs say the won't move from 17M or even lowered the offer at that point because Noel had lost any leverage.
- Noel signs QO

Now, I could have lived with 20M per, but it's still unreasonable for Noel to expect to get that. 15M is fair value, the 17.5M were already generous and saying "we like you here".

The issue with Noel seems to be not so much about the money per se, but the tag that comes with it. Being a "max player" or close to might be important to him considering where he came from and what happened in Philly. He does not only want to proof it on the court, but also get the satisfaction earning the most money he can possibly get, rubbing the contract in the face of those that doubted him and/or never gave him a chance. This emotional component makes it a hard deal on the other side of the table since you are not negotiating facts. He's basically asking his next team to become a accomplice in his personal vendetta.

Last edited by j0Shi; 08-28-2017 at 06:03 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:11 AM   #691
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Flexibility is a great thing. This gives us more of it. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe Noel is difficult. Maybe they worry about him playing a full season or full minutes. They gave him a generous offer, all things considered.

I trust(this version)of the MBT to put a proper valuation on Noel and stick to it. Otherwise you find yourself stuck with Wesley Matthews contracts on your hands.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:37 AM   #692
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Being a "max player" or close to might be important to him considering where he came from and what happened in Philly.
You're not a max player because you want to be. You're a max player because you are in the top 20 (at least 30) players in the league. If he believes he is a max player based on his last 4 years, then he needs to see a psychiatrist.

Quote:
My prediction is that he plays out of his mind for 20 games, averaging 15-12-2-2 for a stretch helped by the rook
Is 15-12-2-2 really playing "out of his mind"? I still think those numbers are about a $15-17 mill player. They are on the nice side but definitely not eye-catching. As far as points, this is a guy that does not create on his own but rather rely on pick-n-roll dunks and putbacks. Those are great and all, but they don't make the team better ... they actually rely on teammates.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #693
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Is 15-12-2-2 really playing "out of his mind"? I still think those numbers are about a $15-17 mill player. They are on the nice side but definitely not eye-catching. As far as points, this is a guy that does not create on his own but rather rely on pick-n-roll dunks and putbacks. Those are great and all, but they don't make the team better ... they actually rely on teammates.
Yeah 15-12-2-2 isn't amazing but i also predict it will be done in 28-34 mpg, because he still plays the same position as 39-year-old Dirk and will still have minute restrictions. Maybe him being in a contract year will make him demand more minutes? That's also what makes me think he'll miss at least 25 games this season. The 2-2 is also important because his rebounding and scoring are unremarkable. Even if you look at his overall PER or EWA, you get a merely average center (roughly 30th in the league). If you look at how many statistical categories he gets something in and his defensive distuptiveness, you may be able to paint a picture of a top 10-15 center. The only two things that even imply that he should earn 10+ mill are his steals/blocks and defensive impact.

And yes, his stats will be inflated by two things
1) the Mavs are the worst rebounding team in the league so rebound opportunities will be everywhere.

2) lobs and dump-downs. You're right that they should not just be attributable to him- they're a result of a good pass, but they absolutely help the team by getting us two free points and preventing the team from playing a zone on our shooters. Once he gets some lobs teams have to adjust and shooters become open.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-28-2017 at 08:54 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #694
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dallas Morning reported he would have settled for 20M. Not sure how credible his mom is, but it's out there. I'm with Locked on Mavs here, which more or less concluded the following timeline:

- Mavs offer 4/70 on July 1st, Noel declines, wants the max
- Noel and agent seek out other offers, there are none, eventually fires agent
- Noel gets back to Mavs with new agent, starts negotiations at 22M per. Mavs say the won't move from 17M or even lowered the offer at that point because Noel had lost any leverage.
- Noel signs QO

Now, I could have lived with 20M per, but it's still unreasonable for Noel to expect to get that. 15M is fair value, the 17.5M were already generous and saying "we like you here".

The issue with Noel seems to be not so much about the money per se, but the tag that comes with it. Being a "max player" or close to might be important to him considering where he came from and what happened in Philly. He does not only want to proof it on the court, but also get the satisfaction earning the most money he can possibly get, rubbing the contract in the face of those that doubted him and/or never gave him a chance. This emotional component makes it a hard deal on the other side of the table since you are not negotiating facts. He's basically asking his next team to become a accomplice in his personal vendetta.
I feel like his mom is saying that stuff to save face from Noel turning down 4/70. Cuban said they never came back to discuss a contract around that number so there is a huge grey area that lies in the negotiating. From the sound of it, it doesn't seem like either side really did much negotiating. The only thing we know for sure is that one side wanted the max and the other offered 4/70. There was obviously too big of an in-between to get a deal done.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:43 AM   #695
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree. It is not just the money, because if it was, then signing the QO makes little sense. He's got an odd personality and an ego that may or may not eventually prove to be in line with his talents.

While I believe it is more likely than not that Noel will leave the Mavs after next year, the best hope for the Mavs is that he enjoys playing for Carlisle and he finds real chemistry with DSJ and HB. In that case, he will come back, assuming the MBT doesn't lowball him. If there is no emotional connection to the Mavs, then he will likely bolt for a team he views as having more of a chance to compete in the playoffs or to a lower echelon team that offers him more money (than the MBT decides he is worth). I do not think the MBT will be willing to match or exceed any offer he gets next year unless he really does play like an all star and stays healthy.

i would hope the MBT is looking around for a trade partner to see what he is worth. I'm not looking to dump him, but there is likely an interesting trade out there. And we all know the MBT is very good at engineering interesting trades.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 AM   #696
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it a win at this point considering his injury history and the fact that he is playing for a new contract? We don't have to take a risk that has big money locked up for years while he can't play and he can feel out the new team. We get a full season trial run and in the end if he proves worth max then so be it, can pay him accordingly. We never have much control on if a player wants to be here or not.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #697
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Isn't it a win at this point considering his injury history and the fact that he is playing for a new contract? We don't have to take a risk that has big money locked up for years while he can't play and he can feel out the new team. We get a full season trial run and in the end if he proves worth max then so be it, can pay him accordingly. We never have much control on if a player wants to be here or not.
Yeah losing the restricted-ness seems minor. We get Noel for 4 million playing hungrily for his next contract. If he plays out his mind and stays healthy, then we can still offer more money, more years, and we can also offer lower income tax than basically everyone but the Spurs, Rockets, Magic, and Heat. No guarantee that he chooses us, but we certainly have incentives and he seems particularly focused on money. Maybe it's just his first big payday and he'll calm down after getting it or maybe he just has green-tinted vision. Regardless, we can satisfy that greed better than anyone.

If he gets injured and spends his fourth consecutive year recovering from leg/knee injuries for 20+ games then maybe he's not in our long-term plans. Better to know next year when he's a free agent than a year into a 5-year 99million dollar contract and we still owe a perpetually-injured guy 82 million dollars over 4 years.

Regardless, it gives us a chance to see if he can stay healthy with a good trainer and it allows us to see if there's anything there there. So far he's just a high-ceiling prospect who hasn't shown much more than flashes of why he was drafted 6th overall in the lottery three years ago. You can only sell yourself as a lottery pick/prospect for so many years before people actually want to see production.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-28-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #698
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:

15/12/2/2 is max contract in the nba. You might not value him at max, heck I think most dont think many players in the nba are max, but that doesnt matter. He puts up those numbers next season, he will get a max offer from another team. He has his entire career ahead of him and teams will offer the 4 year deal.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:53 AM   #699
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Anyone thinking Noel is returning next year is wearing Mavs colored frames.
Even his mom said she's not moving to dallas anymore. And said I don't need to move there for one year.
That was just referring to the uncertainty around having a 1 year deal.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #700
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

A couple points of reference:

NBA Center salaries

Where would you rank Nerlens on this list? Glancing through it....4 years, 80M looks about right to me. IF he stays healthy. Given the risk, 4/70 is certainly a very respectable offer. Plus, how often do current NBA players get paid for their potential? I can't think of many. You are paid on what you have done. What Noel has done is fairly pedestrian. I can see why there weren't a lot of bidders out there, knowing the Mavs could always match. So, play a year, make those potential numbers a reality, and then the money will come. Not before. Noel was getting bad advice.

Here are the stats of all the NBA centers (damn Hollinger, everything normalized)> 15/12/2 would be above Nikolai Vukevic, and a bit below Rudy Gobert.

In short, if Noel DOES average 15/12/2/2...he will get a pretty good contract...IF he does that while staying healthy (ie, averaging that only playing 40-50 games won't get it done).

With his injury history, he is taking a BIG gamble. Well, maybe not BIG...somebody will stay pay him. Just not max money.

Last edited by BigDog63; 08-28-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #701
Underdog

What is Noel's cap hold next summer?

Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #702
Underdog

Quote:
What is Noel's cap hold next summer?
Got my answer on Twitter -- $7.9m... That's not much.

If we could trade Wes, that gives us enough room for TWO max FAs next summer before going over the cap to re-sign Noel.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-28-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #703
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Got my answer on Twitter -- $7.9m... That's not much.

If we could trade Wes, that gives us enough room for TWO max FAs next summer before going over the cap to re-sign Noel.
7.9m hold.

Full bird rights extending all the way to max. Hometown advantage with raises, and years.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #704
Underdog

Quote:
7.9m hold.

Full bird rights extending all the way to max. Hometown advantage with raises, and years.
IF we trade Wes, IF Noel EARNS max, IF Barnes steps up his game, and IF DSJ pushes for ROY, then Dallas could be an attractive destination for 2 max FAs next summer... Not saying it's gonna happen (it won't), but this is within the realm of possibility: DSJ/PG13/Barnes/Bron/Noel with Dirk/JJB/2018 pick coming off the bench.

Like I said, not gonna happen, but it lets you know how much flexibility we have to work with since Noel signed the QO... Probably more realistic that we keep Wes and re-sign Curry, but even then we'll still have room for a max FA before we go over the cap to re-sign Noel (if we do).

I think he might have done us a huge favor by turning down 4/70 -- the Mavs have a TON of options going into next summer... No doubt this is why the FO didn't just cave-in and overpay him.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-28-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #705
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
With his injury history, he is taking a BIG gamble. Well, maybe not BIG...somebody will stay pay him. Just not max money.
It is a big gamble no matter what. There are four possible scenarios:

Scenario 1) He has a season-ending injury. He walks away having only earned 18.68 million, leaving the 95-100 million on the table that we offered him this offseason. He doesn't get another NBA contract. He loses bigly.

Scenario 2) He plays well but has an injury that takes him out for 20-30 games, reinforcing the narrative that he's decently talented, but has nagging injury problems that have to be faced. He's already lost out on 13 million plus by going with the QO this year. A fourth consecutive year with nagging injuries could drive his value down below the 20 million he wanted in addition to losing the 13 million from taking QO. He ends up costing himself 20-40 million over the next few years and may never recover because of the percentage raises.

Scenario 3) He stays healthy and plays out of his mind, doesn't find a suitor. Even if he can play 82 games, he has to find a suitor. Money will be scarce next season, even if the cap goes up to 104 mill. He very well could be offered the 17 mill starting salary that we offered him this year. In that case, he cost himself 13 million by turning down our money and ends up with the same contract he would have gotten.

Scenario 4) He stays healthy and plays out of his mind and has a suitor next season. He earns a contract starting at 20-25.5 mill. Still loses the 13 mill from this year. The gamble pays off, but only after a few years.

That's four different scenarios, each fairly likely. In none of them does he come out ahead in the short term (next 2-3 years) and in only one of the four does he come out ahead after 4-5 years. Noel is a gambler-- it's why he has pretty good steals numbers for a big. It just often the wrong choice and he most likely made the wrong choice here.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-28-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #706
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
7.9m hold.

and income Tax

(Heat/Rockets have Hassan/Capela and Noel doesnt scream Spurs player at all).
Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #707
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
That was just referring to the uncertainty around having a 1 year deal.
She could be lying, but she clearly stated she doesnt see a point in moving to dallas for one year.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #708
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
She could be lying, but she clearly stated she doesnt see a point in moving to dallas for one year.
Dude, she said she was originally going to buy a house in Dallas, but now she's going to wait until next year.

She never said she's never buying a house in Dallas or that Noel is gone. She just said that she's waiting until Noel's next contract is signed.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:53 PM   #709
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Dude, she said she was originally going to buy a house in Dallas, but now she's going to wait until next year.

She never said she's never buying a house in Dallas or that Noel is gone. She just said that she's waiting until Noel's next contract is signed.
Dude, Im not going to move there for one year. I dont want to do a back and forth.

Which is basically saying whats the point of moving there for one year.

Last edited by Melonhead; 08-28-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #710
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Nerlens's mom's tweet definitively indicates one way or the other if he's staying, but the way I read it she doesn't appear to be overly optimistic.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #711
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Dude, Im not going to move there for one year. I dont want to do a back and forth.

Which is basically saying whats the point of moving there for MAYBE just one year.
No thats the point. She isnt moving to Dallas or buying a house if its maybe just for a year. If the Mavs offer next year the most money her ass is within three days in Dallas

Last edited by sefant77; 08-28-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #712
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
No thats the point. She isnt moving to Dallas or buying a house if its maybe just for a year. If the Mavs offer next year the most money her ass is within three days in Dallas
Bingo. Buying a house is no small thing -- you want some guarantees of longevity before making a purchase of that magnitude... No guarantee that Noel is here after this year, even if he WANTS to be.

So I don't see her living situation as an indication of Noel's intents one way or the other. She's just being fiscally responsible.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-28-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #713
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're not a max player because you want to be. You're a max player because you are in the top 20 (at least 30) players in the league. If he believes he is a max player based on his last 4 years, then he needs to see a psychiatrist.
I guess I'm just a little old school but I simply can't understand how a player that has never been an all star or even somewhat considered a candidate for an all star be worthy of a max contract.
I know it happens but HB is more of an exception.

This maxing out on potential alone is risky business for owners and I'm just glad that Cuban is wising up a little.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #714
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Once again, the credibility of what Noel's mom is saying is suspect at best. If he was cool with 4/80, then he would have come back to the Mavs to negotiate. That didn't happen because he wants a max or close to it.

I know it's easy as a Mavs homer to defend the FO, but this really isn't anything like 2011 thinking when Dirk was still in his prime. You can't just throw max contracts at every young potential player...even if they do play center.

And it also isn't really comparable to paying Barnes based on potential. The Mavs were in a much more desperate situation then. With Noel, they have already have Barnes, DSJ, and Curry. There isn't the same desperation to overpay players IMO. And with Barnes, they were trying to make the playoffs. The current Mavs are quite plainly rebuilding.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #715
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And it also isn't really comparable to paying Barnes based on potential. The Mavs were in a much more desperate situation then. With Noel, they have already have Barnes, DSJ, and Curry. There isn't the same desperation to overpay players IMO. And with Barnes, they were trying to make the playoffs. The current Mavs are quite plainly rebuilding.
I commend Cuban for sticking to his position and not over committing to Noel and am glad he didn't.
However I do think Noel has a little leverage too because he is very young (which bodes well for our rebuilding effort), is a fit for this team, and plays a position of need. Mavs have also failed miserably at landing FA centers (Howard, Whiteside, DJ) in the recent past so Noel might see himself as a key piece for this team considering they traded some young assets for him.

I do agree with what you are saying and don't feel Noel has enough leverage to justify a max deal by any means but I could definitely see where he feels he has some leverage in this situation.

Last edited by rimrocker; 08-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:07 PM   #716
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I commend Cuban for sticking to his position and not over committing to Noel and am glad he didn't.
However I do think Noel has a little leverage too because he is very young (which bodes well for our rebuilding effort), is a fit for this team, and plays a position of need. Mavs have also failed miserably at landing FA centers (Howard, Whiteside, DJ) in the recent past so Noel might see himself as a key piece for this team considering they traded some young assets for him.

I do agree with what you are saying and don't feel Noel has enough leverage to justify a max deal by any means but I could definitely see where he feels he has some leverage in this situation.
5 reasons why you're wrong about Noel having ANY leverage in this situation:

Mohamed Bamba
DeAndre Ayton
Robert Williams
Wendell Carter
Nick Richards

Younger, cheaper, less injury-prone, and they all have just as much upside, if not more.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-28-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:53 PM   #717
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
5 reasons why you're wrong about Noel having ANY leverage in this situation:

Mohamed Bamba
DeAndre Ayton
Robert Williams
Wendell Carter
Nick Richards

Younger, cheaper, less injury-prone, and they all have just as much upside, if not more.
I don't think it is a matter of right or wrong but simply looking at it from Noel's POV. I honestly think he could see some of the things I mentioned as leverage but that leverage imo should net him about 4/60....not max.

We would almost have to tank next season if we want a shot at any of those potential draftees but I do agree that class, along with our current position definitely gives Cuban more options. Centers in 2018 draft will be what PGs were in this year's.

Another center to watch as the college season progresses is Udoka Azubuike who currently isn't even on the radar but should move up fast on the mock draft boards as the season progresses. He could very well be available if we are drafting in the 15-20 range which is where I'm expecting us to be.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #718
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
A couple points of reference:

NBA Center salaries

Where would you rank Nerlens on this list?
I would put him at around #11. There are one or two that shouldn't be that high but then there are one or two below that should be up higher. So according to those numbers, Noel should expect the $17-18 mill/yr range which is exactly what the Mavs offered. Noel at this point is significantly below Whiteside, Drummond, DJ, Gasol, Gobert, and Cousins.

Quote:
2) lobs and dump-downs. You're right that they should not just be attributable to him- they're a result of a good pass, but they absolutely help the team by getting us two free points and preventing the team from playing a zone on our shooters. Once he gets some lobs teams have to adjust and shooters become open.
Yes, you are correct and I need to clarify my statement. He is not making his teammates better by being on the court ... like Dirk or Duncan or Lebron. My view of a max contract is a person that simply being on the court makes his teammates play better. Noel could be that defensively, but his offense is nowhere near it.

Quote:
15/12/2/2 is max contract in the nba. You might not value him at max, heck I think most dont think many players in the nba are max, but that doesnt matter. He puts up those numbers next season, he will get a max offer from another team. He has his entire career ahead of him and teams will offer the 4 year deal.
I don't see this happening given next year's amazing free agency class, the devaluing of the center position, and also the number of centers coming into the draft. I understand many players are earning max that shouldn't be, but that's not a valid argument for Mavs to offer him one with 15/12/2/2 numbers at this point.

Quote:
I feel like his mom is saying that stuff to save face from Noel turning down 4/70.
Mom's are awesome. I should call my Mom today.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #719
BigDog63

Quote:
Exactly. He currently has a 1 year contract in Dallas. She didn't want to move here if he, and therefore she, MIGHT move again next year. She preferred to wait and see, and then move.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:03 PM   #720
BigDog63

Quote:
I would put him at around #11. There are one or two that shouldn't be that high but then there are one or two below that should be up higher. So according to those numbers, Noel should expect the $17-18 mill/yr range which is exactly what the Mavs offered. Noel at this point is significantly below Whiteside, Drummond, DJ, Gasol, Gobert, and Cousins.
Yep. He would go up IF he gets that 15/12/2/2 and IF he stays healthy the whole year, maybe around the $21/22M mark.

But for him, especially the health part, those are big IFs. Conversely, if he does about the same numbers he did this year, AND gets injured again....he probably drops down a bit.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that Noel (and his old agent) thought he would get paid for what he might be, when the market was going to pay him more for what he is. This is true of any current NBA player...I can't think of any, really, that had been in the league for a while, that got paid on potential. They have to show it first, and usually for about a year.

Last edited by BigDog63; 08-29-2017 at 01:15 PM.