Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bill Cosby....nothing but Class.

Cosby to give free concert tonight in Waco

Associated Press

DALLAS -- Less than a year ago, a sold-out crowd paid as much as $25 each to hear comedian Bill Cosby perform at Baylor University's Ferrell Center -- an event that raised money for a new floor in the gold-domed basketball arena.

On Thursday, the entertainer will return to the 14,000-student university in Waco.

But following heartache and scandal at Baylor, Cosby's mission will be different -- and admission will be free.

"With full band and yell leaders, we are going to have a rally, a pep rally, not for the golfers, not for the swimmers, not for the basketball team, not for the football team _ but for the students, for the faculty, for the administration, for alumni, for the town," Cosby said Wednesday night in an interview with The Associated Press.

Baylor will open Floyd Casey Stadium, home of its football team, for the 8 p.m. rally, which Cosby bills as an effort to boost morale after basketball player Patrick Dennehy's death.

Since Dennehy's death and the arrest of former teammate Carlton Dotson on murder charges, revelations of secret payments to players, failed drug tests and a tape-recorded plot by former coach Dave Bliss to cover up wrongdoing have shaken Baylor.

So, Cosby called Baylor president Robert Sloan last month and offered to host the rally.

At first, Cosby said with a chuckle, Sloan found it difficult to believe that he was offering to do the event for free.

"He kept saying to me, 'Now, let me get this straight, what you're offering is' ... and he was saying it loud too," Cosby said. "I said, 'Get a witness, put somebody on the phone.'"

Before taking the stage in September 2002, Cosby met Baylor's basketball and track teams. "Gee whiz, I probably took a picture with these guys," he said of Dennehy and Dotson.

Cosby, who also performed at Baylor in 1990, said he knows "it's been a difficult few months" for Baylor. He hopes his appearance will shed a positive light on the university and "what a great place it is."

Student body president Jeff Leach, who is to drive Cosby around the stadium in a golf cart, said Cosby's planned visit has energized students.

"We're all pumped about it," Leach said. "Having someone like him come to the campus in the first place is just awesome. Under these circumstances, it's really exciting to everybody, especially the students."

Baylor spokesman Larry Brumley said the university expects up to 20,000 people to attend. "Really, the whole campus is abuzz," Brumley said.

Cosby recalled the support his family received after his son, Ennis, 27, was shot and killed on the side of a freeway when he stopped his Mercedes-Benz to change a tire in January 1997. A Ukrainian immigrant, who later described the young Cosby as a target of opportunity for a robbery, is serving a life without parole sentence in California.

"I tell you something," Cosby said. "We received more prayers in different languages all over."

Quickly changing the subject back to the Baylor situation, Cosby said he wanted to give students a break from all the news reports.

From his favorite jazz station to the television sports report, Cosby said news of the Baylor case kept coming at him. He said he felt compassion for Baylor students dealing with the constant flood.

"I began to think, 'Well, what about these students, what are they doing, are they a little down?'" he said. "This is a volunteered appearance to try and raise spirits, if they're down, to try to talk about a positive feeling on campus and turn some thoughts to a more positive agenda."
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2003, 04:18 PM   #2
German7Footer

German7Footer is on a distinguished road

This is a great thing for him to do. I hope it does lift everyone's spirit. It's nice to hear Baylor's name and something positive.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:27 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Cosby was the speaker at my college graduation. It was great.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 05:17 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

I've seen him twice before including the last visit to Baylor. I can't wait for tonight. It will be an uplifting and enjoyable experience.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:28 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Cosby looking awfully dadgum good in
his Baylor University apparell!!!!
Old 09-04-2003, 06:39 PM   #6
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

it's so great Bill Cosby is doing this. what a great guy...
Old 09-04-2003, 08:20 PM   #7
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

This is awesome.

Have great time tonight, Doc.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 11:29 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Q. Did anyone watch FoxSports Southwest Sports report tonight?

A. If you did....you may have seen Doc giving a pretty good interview with that hottie reporter......

Cosby was awesome. He said all the right things. The crowd was electric and we all fed off the positive energy that Cosby brought with him. His story is amazing and he shared some very personal moments wiht us tonight. His talk was perfect and much needed. One of the highlights of the night was Dr. Sloan giving Cosby an honorary Doctorate of Human Letters. Bill Cosby already has an earned doctorate in education, but he can also use the title Dr. Cosby now due to his doctorate from Baylor. Cosby and I have something in common. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] What an incredible night. The students, faculty and staff of Baylor came together as one. Maybe even more importantly was that the community and friends of Baylor came together as well. It was a truly electric and very special moment that words cannot describe. Cosby masterfully spun words of wisdom, advise and comedy. His directives and challenges were spot on. His message rang clear. He is truly concerned for the students of not only Baylor, but the world. It was so apparent. I just can't describe the feelings. One reallyspecial moment came near the beginning of his talk. He asked everyone to pray for and remember not only Patrick Dennehey, but also Carlton Dotson, the families who have been affected, the administration, students, faculty, and staff. Then he asked us to spend 2 minutes and 11 seconds in silent reflection and remember our soldiers and anyone who could not be here with us. During the 2 minute and 11 second break the song Ava Maria played. Not a dry eye in the house. Cosby stripped us all down to the bare minimum and masterfully built us all up as one community of proud people.

God Bless Bill Cosby. His supremely unselfish act of kindness repaired a fractured psyche and energized a tremendous number of people. People left in smiles. The traffic jam leaving the stadium seemed unimportant. The feeling of community was repaired. God Bless Bill Cosby.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:52 AM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Bill Cosby....nothing but Class.

hey doc, does he have any past connection to baylor? i read that he's done lots of appearances there before...

i know his temple connection, just wondering about baylor.
Old 09-05-2003, 04:55 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

No connections other than having performed here. The man just cares and has a good heart. There was a noticeable energy on campus today. It's tough to describe, but there was just something different....and it was nothing but positive. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:12 PM   #11
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Hey Doc, I performed there last summer. I was there singing with my church choir in Late July. The campus there is just beautiful.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2003, 11:36 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Caliente
Hey Doc, I performed there last summer. I was there singing with my church choir in Late July. The campus there is just beautiful.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Maybe I saw you and didn't know it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I agree....our campus is very beautiful and relaxing.
Old 09-09-2003, 01:21 PM   #13
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all

Quite possible. I was the 5'2" soprano wearing a black ensemble. I always get a rush performing a piece of music with the composer sitting in the audience listening. I only hope that my performance was acceptable.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 01:33 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

I'm sure that it was. This campus, like many others, offers a wide variety of cultural arts and other events. I try to go to as many as I can. I have found that I don't like some things, but that I really enjoy others that I would NEVER have thought I would have enjoyed. An example was an opera I attended recently. My perception of it beforehand was that it was a bunch of screaming fat people trying to outdo the neighborhood cats, but once I gave it a try it was kind of neat. I attended one recently performed by students that actually brought tears to my eyes. It was amazing.

The students are amazingly talented. Once I opened my mind up to these kinds of events, it provided a whole new world of entertainment. If you ever return, let me know. I'd love to be in attendance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #15
Caliente
Diamond Member

I will add you to my list of music lovers. The music we sang that night was very moving. I also had a chance to meet the composer prior to the concert. She was a beautiful lady and her songs spoke directly to my heart that night.

[img]i/expressions/heart.gif[/img]