Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
dmakk

dmakk is on a distinguished road
Default In Relation To Tony Parker, Do You Think Will Devin Start?

I think he will have a season this year like Tony's rookie season. He has the potential, and he also has other very good players around him so he won't be that pressured IMO. What do you guys think?
dmakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:In Relation To Tony Parker, Do You Think Will Devin Start?

Devin's a good floor leader, passer, defender and a scorer. As a rookie, he'll make some mistakes (turnovers, cheap fouls, etc.) and if Nellie can accept it as part of his development and encourage him to be agressive at all times, he'll turn out to be a better player than Tony Parker in his rookie year.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

devin harris looks like he could be a d.wade type of player this year

speaking of parker, wtf happened in games 3-6 of the conf semis this year? he shouldn't be their second option.....i hope barry gets 10-12 shots/game..he's close to 50% fg and from downtown
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: In Relation To Tony Parker, Do You Think Will Devin Start?

Duh, read my name

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

good schtick.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
Richie41

Richie41 is on a distinguished road

Has everyone forgotten about Marquis? Marquis is starting no question.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:37 PM   #7
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Richie41
Has everyone forgotten about Marquis? Marquis is starting no question.
He's starting, but the question is where. Probably the 2 guard.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
withoutmalice

withoutmalice is on a distinguished road

I think if DAL doesn't land another PG, Marquis will start at PG, Finley will start at SG and Josh Howard will start at SF until DAL determines Harris is ready. Then, once Harris moves into the starting spot, Daniels will move to SG, Finley will start at SF, and Stackhouse and Howard will come off the bench at SG and SF respectively.
withoutmalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The fact that Marquis was outplayed by Harris last night says a lot to me. Marquis has 5 turovers and Harris only 1.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:36 PM   #10
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

it was daniels' first game in a while, that should mean that he was a little rusty... dont worry, marquis will be back...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:37 PM   #11
Mavs Maniac

Mavs Maniac has a spectacular aura aboutMavs Maniac has a spectacular aura about

That was his first game this summer with this squad.
Mavs Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well, regardless, Marquis was a 20 point a night guy for 11 games in the NBA and was our second leading scorer in the playoffs. I'm giving credit where credit is due. Although I know some pessimists won't give the rook credit til he plays his first NBA game, so be it.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Well, regardless, Marquis was a 20 point a night guy for 11 games in the NBA and was our second leading scorer in the playoffs. I'm giving credit where credit is due. Although I know some pessimists won't give the rook credit til he plays his first NBA game, so be it.
I like Harris but saying that one summer league game says anything about Daniels' play is absolutely ludicrous. Thats why I was surprised to hear it from you- a usually quality poster.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:50 PM   #14
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
I like Harris but saying that one summer league game says anything about Daniels' play is absolutely ludicrous. Thats why I was surprised to hear it from you- a usually quality poster.
But it hasn't been one summer league game. If you include the games against China, he has 7 pretty good games. In fact, I don't think he has played flat out bad yet. Plus you know I'm gonna be biased with Harris, look at my name [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] No also, I've had so many Steve Nash arguments, it's not even funny. Maybe I over-hype the guy, but so many think we're doomed at the point next season which simply won't be true.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:53 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we are doomed next year but I agree with Donnie when he said that he wanted a backup PG.

Harris will be good and will be our first option but it could be 41 game, or 82 games before he's really gotten it.

I meant to argue against Daniels' one game, not Harris'. Harris has consistently reduced TOs and is looking better and better against a low level of resistance. That's what you want to see for a guy who is going to play in the NBA.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #16
Richie41

Quote:
I don't think we are doomed next year but I agree with Donnie when he said that he wanted a backup PG.

We are definately safe with just our current pointguards (Marquis and Harris). Landing a backup vetren point guard is important but aquiring an effective center is our priorty.

Chances are neither Pavel or Benja can play against the dominating centers in the leauge.

Also comparing Marquis to Harris, Marquis has played a year against tough competition. Unless you count summer league tough competition.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:26 PM   #17
Richie41

Quote:

We are definately safe with just our current pointguards (Marquis and Harris). Landing a backup vetren point guard is important but aquiring an effective center is our priorty.

Chances are neither Pavel or Benja can play against the dominating centers in the leauge.

Also comparing Marquis to Harris, Marquis has played a year against tough competition. Unless you count summer league tough competition.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:28 PM   #18
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

If we don't get another top flight PG (of the likes of Kidd, Nick, etc.), we'll probably see Devin starting at 1 and Daniels starting at 2. I don't think, Nellie would start Daniels at 1 but might give him some min at 1 during the game.

We'll have Fin starting at 3 and Stack & Howard coming off the bench to provide instant offense or defense, as needed, respectively.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:01 PM   #19
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Devin Harris as the starting point guard unless we trade for Kidd he will start. I don't know how ready he is to compete at the NBA level, he better be ready.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #20
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

You have to remember that Nellie doesn't play rookies. Yea i'm well aware that Daniels and Josh got some starts last season but they definately earned it. They weren't starters coming into the season and weren't even expected to even get any pt. I see Daniels starting the 1 out for us at the beginning of the season.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Nellie doesnt like rookies....except for Najera, Howard, Daniels....

and suddenly we don't have a good option at pg, and Nellie isnt going to play Harris?
Old 07-17-2004, 05:06 PM   #22
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I didn't say Nellie didn't like rookies nor did I say he won't play Harris. I said the guy wouldn't start which is what the starter of this thread asked. Sure Harris will play. I don't know how much but he will play.

1996-2005
Old 07-17-2004, 05:22 PM   #23
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

One thing which we have to keep in mind is that for a PG like tony parker it gets much easier to start and play well as long as Duncan is on the floor. We have to see if Dirk can make other players better this season.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:25 PM   #24
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well Dirk has got to want the ball. He is forced this season to make this team his. If he doesn't, I will be very dissapointed.

Old 07-17-2004, 05:28 PM   #25
Chelette

Chelette is on a distinguished road

http://www.nba.com/draft2004/profiles/OmarQuintero.html

This could be a good option, Ericka.......what do you think?
Chelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 05:36 PM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
I didn't say Nellie didn't like rookies nor did I say he won't play Harris. I said the guy wouldn't start which is what the starter of this thread asked. Sure Harris will play. I don't know how much but he will play.
Najera started his rookie year. What other rookies have we had that have been any good? I just don't see this pattern of not playing rookies when we havent really had any decent ones for a while. Harrington was not a decent rookie.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:01 PM   #27
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

If Devin Harris is going to learn how to play, then you gotta throw him out there and play him heavy minutes. We may lose alot of games next year, but Harris needs the experience and we'll be better off in the long run. I really rather not see Daniels running the point on this team for extended periods of time.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #28
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs don't trade for another point I'd be very comfortable starting the season with Daniels getting 20-25 mpg as the starting point, Devin getting as many as he can handle off the bench, and Avery rounding out the rotation.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #29
Chelette

Chelette is on a distinguished road

Magic was a rookie starter, and a good one, Bird, Jordan......rookie starters, why?? because their coach had faith on them, their coach trust them, and this is something Nellie does not have..........yes He can say a lot of things about a player, but inside, his evil mind is thinking "screw this team".......Nash is gone, ok, next page, please...our center situation......lets focus on it too........In order to have a good Center, you have to have a good guard, a good foward, because, imagine Shaq, yes, he is unstopeable (sorry my writing) but why, because the other players trust him, and play for him, without his players, Shaq is usless.....so, who ever is responsible of hiring our missing players, better choose well.............or expect to see our Mavs, having a really hard time getting into playoffs..
Chelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 06:53 PM   #30
NBAGnome

NBAGnome is on a distinguished road

Bird, rookie
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
79-80 BOS 82 82 36.0 .474 .406 .836 2.60 7.80 10.40 4.5 1.74 .65 3.21 3.40 21.3

Magic, rookie
Year G Min. FGM FGA Pct. FTM FTA Pct. Off. Def. Tot. Ast. St. Blk. TO Pts. RPG APG PPG
79-80 77 2795 503 949 .530 374 462 .810 166 430 596 563 187 41 305 1387 7.7 7.3 18.0

Jordan, rookie
YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
84-85 CHI 82 82 38.3 .515 .173 .845 2.00 4.50 6.50 5.9 2.39 .84 3.55 3.50 28.2

Those guys started because they were ridiculously good players that were already experienced through college play. Saying 3 of the best players in history started as rookies isn't really relevant to all rookies. Nellie proved he'll play rookies if he thinks they are effective last season, i'm sure he'll do it again with Harris, but i don't expect him to start right away, i wouldn't be surprised if he did later in the season, but i wouldn't be surprised if he didn't either. Chances are, if Harris shoots a low percentage and turns the ball over alot, then he won't start many games, Marquis was different, he shot a high percentage (so rare for a rookie guard) and wasn't especially turnover prone.

Old 07-17-2004, 07:02 PM   #31
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

I believe in Devin Harris
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:08 PM   #32
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl
I believe in Devin Harris
Amen.

Old 07-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #33
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Najera started his rookie year. What other rookies have we had that have been any good? I just don't see this pattern of not playing rookies when we havent really had any decent ones for a while. Harrington was not a decent rookie.
The difference between Najera and Harris is going to have to run this team. He's in charge of our offense. Najera wasn't. Donnie has said repeatedly that Harris and Daniels will be our pgs going into next season. If that's the case Daniels has the experience. And once again you keep misreading what I post. I never said that Nellie won't play rookies. I said he wouldn't start.

Also, the reason why you may not see the pattern of Nellie not playing rookies is because you are going back on his history as a Mavs coach. Nellie has coached more NBA teams than just the Mavs.

1996-2005
Old 07-17-2004, 08:05 PM   #34
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember if Tim Hardaway started every game his rookie season, but he played more minutes per game, then Nash played last season...Nellie was the coach.

I don't know where he got the reputation that he doesn't play rookies. I doubt there's a coach in the league who likes playing rookies and Nellie is no different. That being said, if he has a talented rookie, he's shown time and time again the he'll play him.

I don't know if Devin will start, but if he doesn't it will be becaue he's not good enough, not because he's a rookie.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:10 AM   #35
Richie41

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000

I don't know if Devin will start, but if he doesn't it will be becaue he's not good enough, not because he's a rookie.
Well said, amen.