Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-14-2003, 02:27 PM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

How about him playing for the mavs next year:

---------------

Alex (stroudsburg): Hi, Chad, during your trip to Yugoslavia, one of the scouts showed you the picture of the Russian center who played on some Italian team. After that, did any scouts showed any interest in that player, what are the news on that. thanx in advnce

Chad Ford: His name is Pavel Padkolzin, a 7-foot-4, 300 pound giant from Siberia. He plays in Verase, Italy. Since I wrote the piece in December, about 15 NBA teams, including several GMs, have been to see him play. There's a huge agent war to sign him up. I'm planning on seeing him when I head back to Europe in May. I'll keep you posted.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2003, 06:33 AM   #2
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough

so this SB has some more meat on the bones.
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:27 PM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Could he be that mystery 7 footer that nelson has been speculating about.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Heres another article on him.

---
Clippers scout Fabrizio Besnati, however, has a story that actually might have some teeth to it. Before he worked for the Clippers, Besnati was the general manager of a team in St. Petersburg, Russia. On one scouting trip, Besnati ran across a seven-foot kid in the middle of Nowhere, Siberia. Besnati was intrigued and eventually arranged for him to go to a small club in Italy to work on his game.

The thinking was that in a couple of years, Besnati would pull him out and he'd have a nice player. Shortly thereafter, Besnati left the St. Petersburg team and joined the Clippers scouting staff. Upon his return to Varese, Italy, Besnati was shocked to find that his kid had grown -- four inches and more than 60 pounds. The kid, Pavel Padkolzin, now stands 7-foot-4 and weighs more than 300 pounds.

According to Besnati, the kid isn't just big, he can play. "He's been practicing every day for over a year, and the development has been better than you can imagine. He can shoot the 3, is a great ball handler and has a great feel for the game."

Of course, because he's tucked away, no NBA scouts have seen him play. Besnati swears that if he were scouted like Darko has been, he's an easy top 10 pick in next year's draft. "I'm serious about this. He's that good. He makes Slavko Vranes look like a toothpick."

I'm skeptical. Besnati invites Ronzone and I to visit him in Italy. He says we'll need 10 minutes to make up our minds. We laugh the whole thing off. Besnati is clearly intent on proving the existence of such a kid. He gets on the Uleb Cup website and pulls up the team site. His name is nowhere to be found on the roster and Besnati gets upset.

"I know he's here somewhere." A minute later he begins laughing and directs us back to the web site. He's pulled up a copy of this year's team picture. Standing in the back row, in the middle, is the biggest guy I've seen since Shaq. He's standing two players away from former NBA center Shawnelle Scott. This kid makes the 6-foot-11, 270 pound Scott look like Kerry Kittles.

"That's him," Besnati says, still laughing. "You're going to break the biggest story of the draft."

Ronzone and I are stunned. Besnati leaves 10 minutes later. Tony and I are still staring at the picture. Minutes later, Ronzone talks to Joe Dumars and tells him they may have to make a little detour on his next trip to Europe. After seeing the picture, I expect another 28 GMs to start booking their flights to Verase today

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 03-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #5
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Height: 222cm / 7'4''
Position: Center
Born: 1985
Team: Varese, ITA (2001-03)
Nationality: RUS

Outlook:
Podkolzine, the guy who had limited playing time in U-16 championships in 2001, who was not good enough for Russian U-18 NT in 2002 and who likely would have been forgotten by Russians has impressed Italians very quickly. Siberian bear from Novosibirsk is a developing big man whose best days are ahead of him. Podkolzine can block shots and rebound. He is in the process of gaining more confidence in his low post moves. Podkolzine is still learning the game, but he's got a lot to offer - starting with his huge frame. Physical and aggressive in the paint, Podkolzine could be a load to defend and tough to score on.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Old 03-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

finally a picture, good work Ummmmmm Ok
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 12:44 PM   #8
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Is that Gheorge Muresan's brother?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 12:55 PM   #9
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Took me damn near an hour......lol You know how long it takes to try to read through all the translated crap on google... slowly finding pics of him.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:58 PM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

He doesn't look like a pituitary giant. He just looks like one big SOB. I wish there were some pictures that actually show him jumping off of the ground.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 01:06 PM   #11
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Don't give up on my yet Ape. Still lookin. But it ain't lookin too promising. But 7'4 and 300lbs, working on post up moves, not polished yet, and yes very young. Sounds like to me a coachs dream.

Let me see if I can find you any pictures dunking, shooting, or jumping.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I swear he looks like The Incredible Hulk. I seriously doubt though he has quick elevation (and much elevation) off of the floor. Most centers that tall just don't have much lift. Yao, Bradley, Smits, Bol, Muresan, etc etc.

I just wonder how quick he running up and down the court. Yao is very quick going from one end to the other. Muresan, was slow. Bradley and Smits was somewhere in between.

If he can get up and down the court relatively quickly, he doesn't have to have great athleticism... because his body makes up for the lack of athleticism.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:29 PM   #13
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< I swear he looks like The Incredible Hulk. I seriously doubt though he has quick elevation (and much elevation) off of the floor. Most centers that tall just don't have much lift. Yao, Bradley, Smits, Bol, Muresan, etc etc.

I just wonder how quick he running up and down the court. Yao is very quick going from one end to the other. Muresan, was slow. Bradley and Smits was somewhere in between.

If he can get up and down the court relatively quickly, he doesn't have to have great athleticism... because his body makes up for the lack of athleticism.
>>

He probably doesn't, but if he can bring us a young, low post presense than why wouldn't we go after him. But I think he might actually be as quick as Yao.

<< According to Besnati, the kid isn't just big, he can play. &quot;He's been practicing every day for over a year, and the development has been better than you can imagine. He can shoot the 3, is a great ball handler and has a great feel for the game.&quot; >>

If he can shoot the 3 tells me he has great range. I found a site that said he was a good Shotblocker as well, just can't find it right now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

But as more and more as I read into it, teams such as the Spurs, Clippers, Kings, and the nuggets have all visited with him so far. I have yet to read anything about Donnie seeing him yet.

Old 03-17-2003, 01:43 PM   #14
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

<< Outlook:
Podkolzine, the guy who had limited playing time in U-16 championships in 2001, who was not good enough for Russian U-18 NT in 2002 and who likely would have been forgotten by Russians has impressed Italians very quickly. Siberian bear from Novosibirsk is a developing big man whose best days are ahead of him. Podkolzine can block shots and rebound. He is in the process of gaining more confidence in his low post moves. Podkolzine is still learning the game, but he's got a lot to offer - starting with his huge frame. Physical and aggressive in the paint, Podkolzine could be a load to defend and tough to score on.
>>

Done freaking posted it already....Ugh Yes he can block shots... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2003, 03:12 PM   #15
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Is another picture of him, don't know how old.

But hes projected to go into the 2004 draft, but I think that is only because he gets no hype and Marko does.

Here is a good site for international ball:

http://nbadraft.net/2002int.htm

Old 06-05-2003, 02:26 PM   #16
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Default Pavel Padkolzin in Siberia

Pavel Podkolzine: "I hope to stay in the draft"
by Jorge Sierra / June 4, 2003 -

Many big men start playing basketball because that's what people expect them to do. Was that your case? What was your main motivation to start playing?

Pavel Podkolzine: I started playing basketball in Novosibirsk (Russia) five years ago and I fell in love with this sport very quickly. Now I play basketball because I love this sport.

How is a day in the life of Pavel Podkolzine right now?

PP: It is a normal day. I live with my teammate Federico Marin and we have practice twice every day. We spend time with other two teammates -- Sasha Knezevic from Vienna and Ryan McCormack from New York City. We like to hear music and watch some good movies.

Has life changed much for you as of late?

PP: No. Varese is quite a cold town and people respect other people.

You were virtually an unknown player for the NBA until ESPN.com broke that story about you. How much do you feel that story has helped to your exposure?

PP: I think it has helped a lot, and also because coach Beugnot started to put me on the court.

How many scouts came to see you play before that story appeared on ESPN.com?

PP: I think four or five.

And after the story was published?

PP: 12 or 13.

Is it true that you are still growing?

PP: Yes, it is true. Now I am 2.25 (7-5).

We've heard you've had some injury problems this year? What was the main problem?

PP: Not so many injuries... I only sprained my ankles twice.

And how do you feel now?

PP: Very well.

Darko Milicic recently said you don't move very well. What do you say about that?

PP: I will just work to get better. I need to work.

How did you cope with the lack of playing time in Varese? Didn't you get frustrated?

PP: No frustration. I am very young and I went to Varese to work, not to play.

Do you feel the lack of playing time could hurt your draft stock?

PP: I don't know. Now I am a young player and I would like to work hard to improve my game.

Why did you decide to skip the Chicago pre-draft camp?

PP: I just received my visa today (Wednesday, June 4).

Are you going to workout for any team before draft day?

PP: Yes. I am sorry, but I don't know exactly for which ones today.

At this moment, are you leaning towards staying in the draft or will you withdraw your name?

PP: I hope to stay in the draft.

What could make you change your mind?

PP: I don't know. I just would like to play and learn the NBA game.

In case you stay in the draft and get selected in a good position, what would you rather do: go to the NBA right away or wait and develop your game in Europe?

PP: It is very difficult to answer this question now. It depends. The clubs, my manager and I will have to talk about it together.

Would the amount of the buyout of your contract be a factor in your decision?

PP: I am so young... I don't know anything about this. I will follow my manager's decision.

Other than your size, what do you think is the biggest asset you can bring to an NBA team?

PP: At this moment, my main goal is just to learn to play basketball and follow the suggestions of my coaches. They will teach me and they will tell me what's best for me, I hope.

Any NBA team in particular where do you think you could be a good fit?

PP: The NBA is the best league in the world and his clubs are the best...

Finally, is there any player in the NBA you would like to resemble to in the future?

PP: Some time ago, my manager showed me and old video of Kareem, Robert Parish and his hero Bill Walton... But I am Pavel, and in the future I would like to be just Pavel the Siberian man.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:39 PM   #17
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But hes projected to go into the 2004 draft, but I think that is only because he gets no hype and Marko does.
I see him in a lot of the mock drafts for this year. All the projectons I see have him as a top 20 pick.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 02:44 PM   #18
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Default RE: Pavel Padkolzin in Siberia

yea it does now.....I started posting all this stuff as soon as chad ford broke the story on the guy. Back in Feb-March he wasn't getting any props.

Old 06-05-2003, 04:00 PM   #19
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Seriously Umm how much time do you have on your hands? Thanks for the info?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:01 PM   #20
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

actually i got addicted to this damn website and I have to go home and work nights and weekends to catch back up....... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-05-2003, 04:16 PM   #21

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

is that a 6'4 center guarding him in the paint?

looks like hes been practicing against good competition [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:30 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

BUT, he does look pretty msucular. None of that twig and bones, he looks more like a bigger Ilgauskas.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:04 PM   #23
jayC
Diamond Member

Some guy asking about pavel:
Jon (WI): have u seen tapes of the russian giant pavel podkolzin-any thoughts on how good he can be?

Dr. Jack Ramsay: The word on Pavel is that he's big and strong and athletic...but lacks basketball skills...a project in other words...it won't stop some team from taking him...maybe in the lottery.

Old 06-05-2003, 08:22 PM   #24
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

After reading the interview I think coaches and GM´s will love his attitude. Most of the euros are like that (especially eastern europe). I guess that´s part of the reason for all the euro hype.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 12:28 PM   #25
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

How about him playing for the mavs next year:

Better read the 6/7 ESPN Insider...he's moved WAY up !
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #26
Bayliss

Bump!!
Old 07-01-2004, 05:56 AM   #27
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Dreams do come true! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2004, 06:42 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Pavel Padkolzin in Siberia

Umm Ok, great job on the thread.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #29
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Damned... Great, great job on the picks and interview UmmmmmOK. Thanks (belated) for digging them up.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:58 AM   #30
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road

Evilmav, take off that sig, you are a moron.
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:00 AM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for bumping this thread up again, STv

BTW Evil is along time contributing poster to this site and insults don't fly here (for the most part).

If you have a problem with his sig., PM him.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:02 PM   #32
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: StvNash13
Evilmav, take off that sig, you are a moron.
You COULD just go to your "profile" section and use the option that turns off signatures. Then you wouldn't see the offending signature.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:32 PM   #33
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha. I just noticed this...

Looks like it might be just about time to change your name, StvNash13. Or at least go over to call people "morons" on some Phoenix board.

As for my signature, I'll change it when I feel good and ready (and that will probably have to wait until I find a new Bear or Mantis attack picture to put up)...