Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all
Default the random question thread

Feel free to post answers, thoughts, questions of your own... but complaints can kindly be deposited where the sun don't shine (and I don't mean the cupboard underneath the sink).

what happens to fire in an anti-gravity environment?

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?

can a piece of paper be folded more than 7 times?

what would it be like to be born completely blind, remain that way for decades,
then all of a sudden have a miracle surgery where you can instantly see everything.
How would your brain adjust? Could it?

could Michael Jackson possibly get any creepier?

can you lick your elbow?

if there was such a thing as a space colony project and they needed volunteers,
would you be willing to spend the rest of your life in space and do it for the advancement
of man?

do you believe in ghosts? have you ever seen one?

That's all I got for now...
Old 05-27-2005, 11:26 PM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: the random question thread

A piece of paper can NOT be folded more than 7 times. I know that much [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE:the random question thread

To Irontoad:

That fire would more than likely let out instantly

I counted once, it's either 75 or 175

Yes

The brain will function, it'll just seem weird at first

No

No

Heck No

No; No.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

in order to make this a 'workable' thread I suggest that each poster answers a previous question and than makes a question of his/her/its (in case of aliens...) own

Q: do you believe in ghosts? have you ever seen one?
A: have never seen a ghost (except for in 'Ghostbuster'...), but I believe, since there is the concept of ghosts, that there is the possiblity of encountering one in the future.

Q: who would win a 20-meter race in rough terrain if being chased, a sloth or a turtle?

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:32 AM   #5
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Irontoad, I almost completely ignored your thread because I thought it had been created by The Miles. What's with the icon? Did the almighty snail no longer become you?

Not enough information to answer your first question. Fires need oxygen to be. In the typical "anti-gravity" environment we are familiar with, there is no oxygen. But this is not to say that there is no such possbile zero-gravity environment that doesn't contain oxygen. I'm afraid we are left to ponder this one.

On the Tootsie Roll pop, clearly it depends upon how hard you lick. I have heard of some reaching the center in as few as twenty-six licks. But those people had big, long, powerful tongues.

They tell me that a piece of paper cannot be folded more than seven times, but I don't think they appreciate just how crafty people are in making paper. Doubtless there are some people out there who are making paper that can be folded eight, if not nine, times. Or they could, if they were appropriately challenged.

It wouldn't take blind people long to make sense of the seeing world. Forty-eight hours is all the brain would need.

Michael Jackson is not, to me, creepy. He may be weird, but he's harmless, to all but to the most ill-adjusted. I think of him like I think of the exhibits at the haunted house. They can scare you if you let them, but if you realize that they are only meant to scare you, they don't scare you at all.

I can't lick my elbow.

Screw the advancement of man. It's the advancement of chumdawg that I'm worried about.

Santa Claus is more likely to exist than ghosts are. Which is to say, no, I've never seen one.

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Chum: I've been going through a lot of drastic personal changes lately, and haven't really felt like the snail becomes me at the moment, no...

As far as the fire question goes, what I had in mind was: say a group of astronauts are floating around in a shuttle, and one lights a log on fire. There would be oxygen for them to breathe, so I was just curious as to how the fire would behave in that environment...

That's hilarious, I didn't expect anyone to actually give me answers on the tootsie roll pop question. Just thought of that old commercial, made me laugh, so I thought I'd put it down just for humor value [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Oh, and in case anyone cares, here's the link that made me think about the space colony
Old 05-29-2005, 08:47 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Q: do ghosts exsist?

A: no. Ghosts would imply a failure on God's part to get souls/spirits to their eternal destination (an oversight, if you will). I do not believe God fails...therefore I do not believe in ghosts.

I cannot lick my elbow.

my own question: are you truely free?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Free? No one is truly free..... no one I know.

Did you ever imagine people's brains see colors differently than everyone else? For example, if I had someone else's part of the brain which takes in the colors gathered by my eyes, but I had memory of the colors as my eyes see them, I would think they're a different color. Could this ever be proven?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
irontoad
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
my own question: are you truely free?
This may not be specifically what you're asking, Sikey mah boy, but I've thought about the problems of the concepts of free will a lot; for example:

Let's say I'm a person who adamantly believes that everyone on the earth should be allowed to have their own free will, 100%, all of the time. Then let's say I meet an individual (we'll call him Dave) whose single purpose in life is to try and rob others of thier free will (however that may be). Should I then be a person who tries to stop Dave, since he threatens to interfere with my ideal that everyone should have their own free will, or should I let Dave do his thing, since that would be allowing him to exercise his own free will??
Old 05-31-2005, 02:15 PM   #10
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Knowing the perspectives Sike comes from, leads me to think he had something else in mind when he asked the question about being "free".

He studied theology, so he might have meant: "If the Son has set you free, you are free indeed." So, he sets us free from something in particular - the wieght of sin and spiritual death. However, Jesus also says "Take my yoke upon you, for My yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Even an easy "yoke" still implies (to some) that some freedom has been abdicated. We're "free" to make the choice to give up our carnal freedom, but we are in essence not entirely "free" as long as our spiritual nature exists along with our carnal nature. I guess being free in this case would mean we were dead in the physical sense.

He's also widely thought to be an alien, so perhaps me means physiologically free (dwelling on earth) - gravity dictates that everything, on our planet, must acquire an acceleration greater than that of gravity in order to rise above the earth on its own*, so we are not free to float around at will (w/o assistance). So, as long as we are on earth we are not physiologically "free". Perhaps our spirits can be free, once they leave our bodies... Again, death is the only way to acquire this kind of freedom.

So, the question bears asking: Do we want really want to be truly, 100%, free in this life?

This reminds me of philosophy class. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 05:09 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He's also widely thought to be an alien,
this made me smile, Smiles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:52 PM   #12
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
He's also widely thought to be an alien,
this made me smile, Smiles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Did it make up for the beating-esck way I wrote that post? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]