Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-24-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default TiVo

anyone have it? do you like it? is it worth the money?

my VCR broke last week and rather than go get a new vcr, I'm thinking about just biting the bullet and getting a TiVo. just checking to see if anyone has any experience with it.
Old 10-24-2003, 03:11 PM   #2
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE:TiVo

Just waiting to pay off the TV before I get one. Its probably the greatest invention ever for folks who like to watch TV.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 03:13 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

also, for anyone that has it... did you buy the liefetime subscription or the monthly?
Old 10-24-2003, 03:36 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

While we are asking video recording questions. Are there any TIVO like products that don't require a home phone line to use. I only have a cell, and as much as I would like to have one, I don't want to pay for the unit, pay for the service, and get a home phone line

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:16 PM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

We had a Tivo discussion here, BTW.

I have it; I love it. Although, when you let it record stuff on its own, it gets a little frustrating. It drives my wife nuts.

We pay month to month. I haven't decided about the lifetime membership yet.

As for not having a phone line, I don't know. I know there are some non-tivo DVR's, but without some form of an online TV schedule, the thing is pretty worthless and I don't know how you'd update a schedule without a phone line. Maybe cable will let you do it, but I don't know.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Default RE: TiVo

awesome, i forgot about that thread. i hadn't seriously considered one until now.

the sucky thing about the lifetime service is that it is for the life of the product you buy, not the life of the subscriber. so if new and better TiVo's come out, and you buy a new one, you have to buy new service.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:50 PM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I love it. It's great for sports. You can pause the game, go grab some Popeye's chicken, and start the game back up from where you left off after you get back home. I enjoy watching games without commercial interruptions anyway. Often times I'll deliberately waste an hour before sitting down to watch a game just so I can fast forward through commercials.

It's also great for replaying Bradley swats and dunks.

Tivo changes the way you look at the world. I find myself constantly reaching for an imaginary replay button to replay real-life occurances that I don't quite understand.

grbh: Tivo brags that 95% of Tivo users would rather give up their cell phone than give up Tivo. I'd probably agree with that statement. Cell phones are probably a more practical device. But they aren't nearly as cool.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
awesome, i forgot about that thread. i hadn't seriously considered one until now.

the sucky thing about the lifetime service is that it is for the life of the product you buy, not the life of the subscriber. so if new and better TiVo's come out, and you buy a new one, you have to buy new service.

Trust me BBL....if you can afford it get the Lifetime Membership. I've had mine for almost two years now and it's nice to be getting something and not having ANOTHER bill come in besides my satellite. When I purchased it it was going for $10 a month/subscription. But I went ahead and paid the $180 LT Membership and bit the bullett ahead of time so I've allready saved some money and it will eventually pay for the system itself.

Whatever you decide...you will not be dissapointed in it. People who do not have one argue that you will end up watching more TV in the long run but it cannott be farther from the truth. I actually watch less TV.
It's really handy...

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 05:26 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

jeez, now the lifetime is $299 vs. $12.95 a month. i would jump on it if it were still $180...

for those of you that have it, how many hours does yours record? i was looking at just the basic 40-hour model... another thing that annoys me is that it has all this new stuff for digital music and pictures that i know i'd be paying more for even though i don't want it. i wish they were just selling ones without that extra stuff.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:18 AM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

well, i just got a $40 gift card for best buy from a friend... so i guess that makes my decision easier, plus tivo is offering a $50 rebate.

i think i'm gonna wait a little bit though. gotta eat tons of mcdonald's fries and get best buy bucks...
Old 10-25-2003, 02:24 PM   #11
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Mine records 40 hours. As soon as the 1 year warranty winds up, I am gonna crack mine open and install a larger hard drive. You can buy larger hard drives on line and install them yourself.

40 hours really is a lot, though.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 10-25-2003, 06:06 PM   #12
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Love it immensely. Directv now sells one that hooks up with it's satellite service and is only 4.95 per month. Research, then go get one fast.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:12 PM   #13
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
Love it immensely. Directv now sells one that hooks up with it's satellite service and is only 4.95 per month. Research, then go get one fast.
This is what I have. The combination works great.

Old 10-26-2003, 09:48 PM   #14
veruca salt
Platinum Member

veruca salt will become famous soon enough

I'm drooling just reading about this thing!
We barely have cable TV here. People just aren't interested!

Smile like you mean it
veruca salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 10:17 PM   #15
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Tivo has both liberated and enslaved me...
Old 11-17-2003, 05:06 PM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

so i bought it this past weekend. only had it a few days but it is the greatest invention in the history of everything. steam engine? nope, tivo's better. penicillin? nope, tivo's better.

god, i love this thing.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #17
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

TiVo definitely worth it. My cousin has it and loves it. I have Dish Network's DVR which is like TiVo, but with less bells and whistles.

One counterpoint though is that all your Video Cassettes will never be viewable without a VCR. But when was the last time you watched one anyway?
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

BBL do you have cable or Satellite?
Old 11-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Double post.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:41 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

Triple post.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:21 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i have regular cable. which is another cool thing about having tivo. now it's like i have digital cable. i have an info button (so i can see what i'm watching) as well as a Guide button to see what is on other channels.

yeah kingrex, i didn't have many VHS tapes anyway. i have tons of DVDs though. and i was excited as hell when i found out that i could get my wedding on DVD instead of VHS... one more DVD for the collection.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:25 PM   #22
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I'd pull the trigger on this if I were you. You won't regret it.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #23
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Secret Tivo Tips and Tweaks

This link was on Bob's Blog this morning and I thought it should be shared.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

It's amazing we ever wondered if this was a worthwhile investment. I'm so sold on it, and can't imagine life without my TiVo-like DVR. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'll have to get this installed in my new house by October! I cannot believe my fiance doesn't have anything like TiVo at his house! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Six televisions and nothing to guarantee your program is recorded!
Old 06-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

and you're still going to marry him?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #26
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

LOL, yes. I'm counting on him having the system in before the wedding day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If not, he can always move into my apartment with me (lease won't be up until Nov 30th). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]