Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 01-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #41
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Napolean Dynomite?

GOSH

the most original comedy I've seen in a few years, easily.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2005, 04:22 PM   #42
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Napolean Dynomite?

You guys just made me buy it! I hope it's as good as advertised, will watch it when I get home (before the Mavs game, of course).
Old 01-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #43
senorfrog

senorfrog is on a distinguished road

Gosh bless Napoleon. LaQuanda and I absolutely loved this sweet movie...

I've got a new sig..
Old 01-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #44
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

LaFawnduh...

Sweet Sig...
Old 01-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #45
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

...nche rana, sigue igual de loca.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:46 PM   #46
southern_sweets
Diamond Member

southern_sweets will become famous soon enoughsouthern_sweets will become famous soon enough

I LOVED this movie!!!

One of my favorite parts is when ND ties a string around an action figure and tosses it out the bus window. That brought back fond memories of the days when the windows on the school buses could be opened.
southern_sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #47
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

napolean dynamite audio clips

genius.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:38 AM   #48
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a long time since I have been so disappointed in a film. Not that it was terrible, but I'm going to have to say that IMO it was indeed way overhyped. The thing is, watching it made me soooo uncomfortable. It was kinda like watching a train wreck, and looking for the humor in it. Yeah, you may be able to find some funny things, but you're still looking at a disaster.

If it's subtle humor you are looking for (and you are older than sixteen or so), watch "Waiting for Guffman." Now *there* is a movie that you will have to watch at least twenty times, and that you can quote for the rest of your life.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 08:04 AM   #49
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Napolean Dynomite was greatness.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #50
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg

If it's subtle humor you are looking for (and you are older than sixteen or so), watch "Waiting for Guffman." Now *there* is a movie that you will have to watch at least twenty times, and that you can quote for the rest of your life.
I was actually disappointed in Waiting for Guffman. I thought Best in Show was much better. A Mighty Wind was probably a bit better than Guffman in my opinion as well.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:29 AM   #51
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's been a long time since I have been so disappointed in a film. Not that it was terrible, but I'm going to have to say that IMO it was indeed way overhyped. The thing is, watching it made me soooo uncomfortable. It was kinda like watching a train wreck, and looking for the humor in it. Yeah, you may be able to find some funny things, but you're still looking at a disaster.

I was dissappointed too Chumdawg. I might've laughed out loud once, and usually just sat there recognizing that they were doing things that were supposed to be funny. Coincidentally, that's the same experience I get when I watch David Letterman. The acting had a very amateur feel to it (maybe by design?). The worst part was, if you didn't enjoy the dry and allegedly comedic delivery of the dialogue (which on its own wasn't particulary compelling), you were pretty much screwed because there was no plot to speak of that could hold your interest.

I enjoyed the 80's motif, but it wasn't enough to convince me that I wasn't watching over-hyped sentimental crap.

I really enjoyed the opening credits - they were simple and creative - but the thing just went down hill from there.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #52
XERXES
Diamond Member

Mary & Dawg- I can see how you might think it was overhyped...but one of my best friends went to see it at the theatre and hated it so bad that he got up and walked out of it...then he proceded to tell me how awful it was. That really balanced alot of the hype I heard about it. People either hated it or thought it was genius. That tempered my enthusiasm when I saw it...and,as a result, I loved it! But, I can understand your points...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #53
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I did have alot of respect for Mary and Chum..... did....
Old 02-07-2005, 11:29 AM   #54
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I should clarify a bit. After hearing from a couple friends how good it was, and then reading the reviews in this thread from people whose opinions I would trust, I guess I was expecting like one of the top five comedic movies of all time or something. Doubtless I enjoyed it more than most other movies, but I didn't find the greatness in it, that's all.

I agree with Mary that the delivery of the dialogue was the most the film had to offer.

Maybe it's a film that has to grow on you, I don't know...

Murph, I thought Fred Willard's character alone was worth the price of admission to Best in Show. That was funny stuff.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #55
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
I suppose I should clarify a bit. After hearing from a couple friends how good it was, and then reading the reviews in this thread from people whose opinions I would trust, I guess I was expecting like one of the top five comedic movies of all time or something. Doubtless I enjoyed it more than most other movies, but I didn't find the greatness in it, that's all.

I agree with Mary that the delivery of the dialogue was the most the film had to offer.

Maybe it's a film that has to grow on you, I don't know...

Murph, I thought Fred Willard's character alone was worth the price of admission to Best in Show. That was funny stuff.
Chum, I'm just giving you a little grief.... I can see how people wouldn't like the movie. It didn't always flow that smoothly. And with humor, it can sometimes be hit and miss with people. But, I thought it was genius.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #56
senorfrog

This has been deleted due to overzealous posting and thunder stealing.

Go back to work.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #57
XERXES
Diamond Member

I will overlook the fact that I posted a link to that site 10 posts earlier.

No respect I tell you.

; )
Old 02-10-2005, 05:21 PM   #58
senorfrog

Damnit.

I must have that adult ADD.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:49 PM   #59
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Tsunami Relief - Special Showing of "Napoleon Dynamite"

The Lakewood community will come together for a special screening of "Napoleon Dynamite" at the historic Lakewood Theater. Dress the part of your favorite "Dynamite" character. Prizes awarded for best costume. All donations will benefit Tsunami Relief.

Venue: Lakewood Theater
Telephone: 214-827-5253
Date Range: Starts: Feb 9
Ends: Feb 9
Schedule: 2/9/2005

Event Type: Community - Fundraiser/Benefit
Event Cost: Donations of $5 kids / $10 adult
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #60
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw this movie and loved it, and David Letterman is basically unwatchable for me. Don't really get the comparison, but mabye its because I don't watch Letterman. If you don't even think its funny then mabye you just shouldn't watch it! Idiots! I thought the comedy was pretty much on the surface but there was some subtle things like DeKwons Dance Moves.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #61
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you don't even think its funny then mabye you just shouldn't watch it! Idiots!
Isn't it kinda hard to have an opinion on a movie before you watch it? How does it work with you?

I don't think I'll be watching the movie AGAIN.

I would just assume be stranded on a an island full of polar bears and weirdos, and strapped to a tree while an extremely hot ex-communications officer from the Republican Guard gives me a bamboo manicure.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 02-10-2005, 08:59 PM   #62
Murphy3
Guru

[quote]
Originally posted by: mary
Quote:

I would just assume be stranded on a an island full of polar bears and weirdos, and strapped to a tree while an extremely hot ex-communications officer from the Republican Guard gives me a bamboo manicure.
That can be arranged.....
Old 02-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #63
mary
Troll Hunter

[quote]
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Quote:

Will you be playing the part of polar bear, weirdo, or extremely hot communications officer ?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #64
Murphy3
Guru

[quote]
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Quote:

Will you be playing the part of polar bear, weirdo, or extremely hot communications officer ?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
all of the above
Old 02-11-2005, 02:04 PM   #65
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

creepy

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:59 PM   #67
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet Erica. I've got a new wallpaper.

Quote:
Quote:
If you don't even think its funny then mabye you just shouldn't watch it! Idiots!
Isn't it kinda hard to have an opinion on a movie before you watch it? How does it work with you?

I don't think I'll be watching the movie AGAIN.

Sorry Mary you were just the victim of my incredibly weak Napolean imitation.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 07:15 PM   #68
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive

Sorry Mary you were just the victim of my incredibly weak Napolean imitation.

That's ok.

Now that you mention it, I can see the joke. Its not actually that bad, I just didn't get it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] My bad.

See? I can't even connect with NAP related posts .

Old 02-14-2005, 03:05 PM   #69
chumdawg
Guru

Bob and Dan talking ND right now on The Ticket. The morning show guys were talking about it too, I think.

Given some more time to think about it, I may have been overly harsh in my first assessment. I would probably like the movie a lot better if I watched it again. But only for the dialogue, I think. Some funny dialogue.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:25 AM   #70
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

"Wait, I forgot to put the crystals"
Old 02-18-2005, 01:39 AM   #71
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I will own this movie soon

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 AM   #72
XERXES
Diamond Member

I had to speak to a group of 8th graders yesterday in their classrooms (challenging them to do better in school- which in itself- was ironic)...I had added a couple of my own funny lines (you could hear crickets chirping due to the absence of laughter- or even sound for that matter) but I also added a couple of lines from NAP and they were rolling!

Old 02-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #73
mary
Troll Hunter

Napoleon Dynamite Sound Board

Old 02-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #74
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I hadn't seen that two other times in this same thread. (Oh, and I should say originally by Xerxes, so he doesn't get mad).

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

If you get a chance, check out Peluca, the 10 minute short that was the precursor to ND. In that short, Napoleon was named Seth.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #75
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
I hadn't seen that two other times in this same thread. (Oh, and I should say originally by Xerxes, so he doesn't get mad).

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

If you get a chance, check out Peluca, the 10 minute short that was the precursor to ND. In that short, Napoleon was named Seth.
doh!

Old 02-21-2005, 12:13 PM   #76
sike
The Preacha

where can I see this "Peluca"?

Old 03-13-2005, 12:30 AM   #77
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Finally got to see this movie tonight, some pretty damn funny stuff... The wedding scene after the credits was great, too... "I love technology..."

One of the best scenes IMO was when Napoleon throws the 'vote for summer' button, man what a badass... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2005, 03:30 AM   #78
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

We finally bought the movie. All I can say is greatness. I laughed out loud many, many times. I have so many students that remind me of Napoleon.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #79
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

This is the worst movie ever made!

As if there is any possible way we could ever know that.

I loved it! If you didn't like it I recommend seeing it with a lot of people...It gets contagious. I could see if you were watching it by yourself how you would think it was stupid, but with other people it makes it much funnier.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:50 PM   #80
senorfrog

It's not even a contest here. Vote for Pedro..er Napoleon.