Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Famous People You've Met

Thought this would be a fun thread. List the famous people you know or have met. I will work on my list, be back soon. Feel free to chime in in the meantime.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2005, 09:26 AM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Famous People You've Met

Mine is pretty short:

Paul Hewson
Dave Evans
Adam Clayton
Tom Landry
Darryl Johnston (got to talk to him for about 15 minutes while standing in line to use the restroom at the U2 concert in Austin)
Sam Perkins
Michael Irvin
Greg Ostertag - went to high school with him
Barry Foster - went to high school (he was senior my freshman year) - but the last two I met before they were famous.... does that count?
Edie Brickell (back when she would hang out at the Lizard Lounge)
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Famous People You've Met

Dikembe Mutombo
Marquis Daniels
Joe Horn
pretty much everyone on the Auburn football team
Vince Vaughn
Moses Malone
Mike Miller
Tim Hudson
Bo Jackson
Chipper Jones
Andruw Jones
Old 05-12-2005, 12:01 PM   #4
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Avery Johnson - came to play golf at barton creek cc when i worked there in college. great guy, horrible golfer
Ed "Too Tall" Jones - again through barton creek.
Brett Favre
Nolan Ryan
Roy Williams (WR) - played NCAA football on PS2 with him and gave him crap about his character dropping passes - he didn't like that.

i know there're more, i'll add as they come to me
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I got to meet Kenny Rogers (the pitcher) this past fall. I went to watch my little cousin play in a baseball tournament at the field of dreams (or whatever you call it..next to Ameriquest). Kenny was there watching a friend of his family's son play. Sat about 3 ft from me in the bleachers the entire game. I was extremely impressed with how normal a guy he was. Anyway, after the game finished, probably 100 kids simultaneously realized Kenny Rogers was in the stands. The attacked him. He signed each and every last ball. When he was done I went up and said hi, shook his hand, congratulated him on the gold glove...you know, just conversation. Then I got bold and asked him if he was going to pitch this year. He kinda laughed and was like, "...ummm (chuckle), we'll just have to see about that. I'm not sure yet." To which I responded, "Well, there's no doubt the Rangers need ya. Come back. No arguments. Just do it. (chuckle)"

Not a huge star, but anyone that's remotely interested in sports knows him. I'm just glad he turned out to be an EXTREMELY nice guy.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Also met Avery Johnson-- he was hanging out at the mouth of the tunnel after a Mavs game. The guy has major charisma. I almost melted.

Danny Glover in an airport in Portland, Oregon
Clyde Drexler on an Alaskan Airlines flight out of Portland when he was a Blazer and I was even more knee high to a caterpillar
Alice Cooper in Sedona, AZ on a golfcourse
Elvin Jones (late drummer for John Coltrane)
Bill Moyers
Adrien Brody
others as I remember them
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad played for the Cowboys so I've met all the famous 70's Cowboys and coaches.

I met Michael Jordan and Chris Rock on seperate nights in Dion Sanders' club a few years back.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #8
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

umm not sure if it counts but i saw tim allen at a starbucks
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: cheesestar
umm not sure if it counts but i saw tim allen at a starbucks
I think celebrity sightings are a different thread.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:29 PM   #10
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

[quote]
Originally posted by: dirno2000
My dad played for the Cowboys so I've met all the famous 70's Cowboys and coaches.
[quote]

Has this been covered before? Who is your pops?

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Mine's really short (umm, the list of famous people I've met, I mean, yeah...)

Warren Moon
Ray Childress

And I once saw Don King and Danny Ainge in airports...
Old 05-12-2005, 05:44 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
[quote]
Quote:

Rayfield Wright...played OT from 66' to 79'.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
mavsman

mavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to beholdmavsman is a splendid one to behold

I list only people that are somehow (semi)famous to Americans

Uwe Blab - Played for the same team than me before he went to IU. Came back during spring break and in the summer to coach us youngsters and to hold clinics.

Det Schrempf - Went through several clinics with him

Dirk - Back when he was 17

Dr. J - had a great clinic with him in Munich

Survivor, Warrant, Def Leppard, Uriah Heep, Saga, The Prodigy, Iron Maiden, - Back when I was promoting concerts
mavsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

[quote]
[quote]
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
Quote:
Quote:

Rayfield Wright...played OT from 66' to 79'.
Sweet. They ever going to induct him into the Hall?

chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #15
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Harry Connick Jr.
Bill Cosby - One of the nicest, most personable guys you'll ever meet
Jerome Bettis - Also a very nice guy
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:10 PM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Sweet. They ever going to induct him into the Hall?
Doubtful at this point...he'd have to go through the veterans committee.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered one of the most important that I met:

Ice Man King Parsons!!!!! - I worked with his wife when I got out of High School. And I grew up watching him so that was indeed a treat for me when he would come to pick her up. I think I whipped him though sometimes.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #18
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Jared Jeffries
Sean May
Scott May
Zach Randolph
Kent Benson
Rex Grossman
Brad Miller
Michael Irvin
Jerry Jones
Mark Cuban
Jimmy Jackson
Clark Kellogg
Bobby Knight
Mike Davis
Jason Kidd
Kirk Haston
Desagana Diop
Sam Perkins (I waited on him a long time ago when I used to work at Bennigans, and he and three members of his entourage ended up inviting two of our waitresses to go back to a hotel room to have a 'party' with them)
Old 05-12-2005, 09:05 PM   #19
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Ben Stiller - Accidentally knocked him down at a KISS concert - oops [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Foreigner - backstage
Aerosmith - Lexington Queen Club in Roppongi District Tokyo, Japan
"Dimebag" Darrel Abbot - Same as Aerosmith, different night - some club across the street
Ted Lange - Isaac from the Love Boat, came to an audition at my old studio.
Jenilee Harrison - Cindy Snow from Three's Company - audition
Too Short - Sema show in Vegas
James Ware - wrestled as Koko B. Ware - he used to work for my Dad after his illustrious wrestling career
Old 05-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #20
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Sports:
Tiger Woods
Justin Leonard
Mike Modano
Darian Hatcher
Roger Staubach
Brandt Jobe (currently tied for 42nd at the Byron!)
Michael Irvin
Emmitt Smith
Daryl Johnston
Jason Sasser (spare NBA’er went to SMU)
Quentin Ross (LA Clipper went to SMU)
Tom Hicks

Entertainment:
Jack Palance
Barry Corbin
Chuck Norris
Janine Turner
Emeril Lagasse (chef)
Bobby Flay (chef)

Politics:
George W. Bush
George H.W. Bush
Laura Bush
Dick Cheney
Kay Bailey Hutchison
John Cornyn
Rick Perry
Carole Keeton Rylander Strayhorn
Newt Gingrich
Bob Dole
Elizabeth Dole
Dan Quail
Dick Gephardt
Former Speaker Jim Wright
Ron Kirk
Just about every Texas Republican Congressman
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #21
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

here we go...i'm copying dooby's format because he's pretty much my idol.

sports:
-michael irvin (sorta...i was at a gas station with my dad when i was fairly young (5 or 6) and my dad recognized irvin...he came to the car excitedly and told us to come out to meet him, which we did. only i caught sight of irvin, who was quite huge in my five-year old eyes, and immediately began to cry as my dad pulled me towards him...but i guess i did sort of meet him, even if i was scared as hell)
-alex rodriguez
-dirk nowitzki
-mike modano (dirk, a-rod, and modano all came to my high school for various community service drives/efforts...the one plus for being on community service council)
-marquis daniels (funny dude)
-devin harris
-shawn bradley (really awesome guy)
-pavel podkolzine (ok, he doesn't really count as a celebrity, but it is a mavs board...)
-antoine walker (three ladies draped all over him...ugh)
-antawn jamison (super nice)
-greg ostertag (shyest person ever)
-mark cuban several times (he actually knows my name, or did at one point, so that was pretty cool)
-steve young (this was actually about a week ago...i'm over at my friend's dorm, and someone runs in to tell us that steve young is sitting at the picnic tables outside the dining hall. he was friendly, but he was eating with some people, so i didn't want to disturb him too much...still not really sure why he was at stanford and eating our dorm food of all things, and i was too afraid to ask him...)
-josh childress (basically the coolest person ever...)

entertainment:
-lfo (ok, they're crappy, but i won backstage passes to meet them somehow, so that was pretty fun)
-dj skribble (again, crappy, but i won a dance at my school with him...)
-rosie o'donnell
-glenn close (we somehow ended up at the premiere of harriet the spy)
-ben savage (went to stanford, sort of an ass)

politics
-bill clinton

ok, wow, that was a really sports-heavy list. but that's because sports are awesome.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #22
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Oh, well I didn't even think about Politicians....

G.W. Bush (graduation ceremony at U.T. when he was Governor)
Ronald Reagan (political convention my mother dragged me to back in '84 - but I got to shake his hand and he just has an aura about him that was pretty incredible- I mean he did)
Kay Bailey Hutchinson - we were both on a Southwest flight to Austin, sat right next to her. She and a bunch of politico's were headed to Austin for some popular politician's funeral. Herb Kelleher was also on the flight and he served everyone's drinks.
Dan Quayle - I still think he would make a great President.

That's all I can think of right now....
Old 05-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #23
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I once saw Newey Scruggs at a concert...does that count?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #24
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I once saw the Dalai Lama up close. We were just separated by about 100 bodyguards, Tibetan monks, photographers, and his usual groupies.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:18 AM   #25
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

OK- I'll give this a shot - there is no way I can remember all of them:

Willie Nelson
Merle Haggard
Ricky Skaggs
Junior Brown
Allison Krauss
Jeff Foxworthy (and the all the Blue Collar Comedy Guys)
Emmylou Harris
Pat Green
Jerry Jeff Walker
Rodney Crowell
DixieChicks
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Jack Ingram
Gosh- this is getting boring...

My job is kind of weird- I have a working relationship with most of these people- It's not just "hi-nice to meet you..." there's some symbiosis. I've been thanked in the credits of dozens and dozens of CD's.

I've also met dozens of pro Athletes and politicians...
Old 05-13-2005, 10:22 AM   #26
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I haven't met too many celebritites, I guess

A couple of sports announcers
Some Mavs
Marty Truco - I didn't recognize him and I was uncharacteristically snobby (as in "What do you think you're lookin' at"). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Mike Modano - I LOL'd at him for groveling over this girl I was talking to at a fundraiser/cocktail party (Again, I didn't recognize him). [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

That's all I can think of right now.

I don't have a good record when it comes to the Stars, eh?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #27
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't meet him, but I came within a few feet of hitting George H. W. Bush with my car about 5 years ago at A&M. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Dude was jogging diagonally across an empty parking lot at Reed Arena.

I used to park there every morning pretty early while it was still empty, so I would wheel in there pretty fast. It was like 7 AM, which you all know is EARLY to a 20 year old college kid. SO I'm hardly even paying attention to what I'm doing, I wheel in and cut across one empty row of spaces, look up, and there's an older man in a jogging suit, maybe 15 feet away from my car. Then I realize he had a dude in a suit on either side of him running with him. Oh, that's George 1. If I had cut across two rows of spaces instead of just the one, it would've been close.

Which leads me to say... the Secret Service is vulnerable to 5000 pound Buicks.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #28
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

OMG, Rhylan! Can you imagine?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You could've been "The guy who hit George HW Bush"! That's only a step up from being "The guy who shot John Kennedy".

OMG! To think the SS could be so vulnerable!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #29
Smiles
Diamond Member

Speaking of celebrity encounters with cars:

I forgot to mention that Jim Durham soundly backed into the side of my Camry last July 4th. His Volvo didn't show a scratch, but my car was in the shop for 5 days.

Just imagine his voice as he broke the news to me, "Well, Smiles, I've got good news and I've got bad news..."
Old 05-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #30
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Quote:
Dikembe Mutombo
Did he want to sex you?

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #31
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I've actually spoken to any celebrities.

I just like to quietly admire them from afar.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just waiting Murph to say: "I wonder how many lists I'm on."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #33
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Oh, well I didn't even think about Politicians....

G.W. Bush (graduation ceremony at U.T. when he was Governor)
Ronald Reagan (political convention my mother dragged me to back in '84 - but I got to shake his hand and he just has an aura about him that was pretty incredible- I mean he did)
Kay Bailey Hutchinson - we were both on a Southwest flight to Austin, sat right next to her. She and a bunch of politico's were headed to Austin for some popular politician's funeral. Herb Kelleher was also on the flight and he served everyone's drinks.
Dan Quayle - I still think he would make a great President.

That's all I can think of right now....
I wasn't thinking about politicians either, and but your list of met pols is actually remakably similar to mine, U2. I was introduced to both Kay Bailey and George W Bush back when they were running for Senate and Governor in '94, and also I got to shake Dan Quayle's hand at Love Field back in '92 (back when I was very young and used to do a lot of volunteer campaign stuff for the Republican party). I also got to meet folks like Dan Barlett and Sam Johnson, but obviously they aren't as high profile as W, Kay Bailey, and Danny Quayle...
Old 05-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see:

Jay Novacek
Moose Johnston
Troy Aikman
Emmitt Smith
Michael Irvin
Alvin Harper
a few other Cowboys (had the opportunity to work at a football camp or two when I was younger...)

Barry Switzer
Lee Ann Rimes
Bryan White
Prime Time Sanders
(met these four while at work...also ran into Jay Novacek at my work a time or two)

Bob Estes
Mike Standly
Terry Orr
Ray Berry
(one of the four changed my diaper when I was under a year old....I won't incriminate the guy)

Toby Gowin
John Baker
Scott Castle
Thomas Houchin
(just random NFL players that I got to know a bit either in high school or at UNT)

Jerry Don Gleaton
(long time MLB pitcher... was my nephew's pitching coach for awhile in Brownwood)

Norah Jones
All of Bowling for Soup and Lonestar

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:26 AM   #35
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

drbio
Old 05-14-2005, 01:12 AM   #36
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even have a decent list of close encounters.

I found myself behind Mike Modano on North 157 one day in Arlington.

A friend and I followed (okay, stalked) Marquis Daniels out to his car at last year's charity baseball game.

One time I met a horse jockey that claimed he was Willie Shoemaker's son - but I don't think he even HAD a son (and hell, I was 15, and I didn't even know who Willie Shoemaker was) - okay, so fake relatives of famous people don't count.

I came pretty close to meeting Ann Richards one time - but she was not to be bothered!

Err, one time I was on an airplane and used the bathroom in first class - Justin Timberlake was on the plane (and hell, I was 23 and didn't even know who Justin Timberlake was at the time - one of the "younger" female passengers let me know I was in presence of boy band greatness)

What a sad list!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #37
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
haha, I've met LoneStar once too. I was drunk at a Cowboys game a few years ago and got into a fistfight with a group of Giants fans in the luxury box next to mine. I recieved a nasty black eye. Afterwards I cornered Lonestar in this area of Texas stadium where the players drink beer and celebrate after games. All the famous white Cowboys were there, along with Lonestar. I guess they sang the national anthem.

The lead singer commented on my eye, and I said something to the effect of "I hate Giant fans and everything about the city of New York". This made him very uncomfortable. Apparently, he has nothing against the city of New York. He actually likes the place.

Then I stumbled into Jerry Jone's luxury box, where I expereinced the greatest celebrity moment of my life. Jerry liked my black eye so much that he ordered his underlings to "set me up" with more liquor. He told me I looked worse than most of his players. I peed in his toilet. I got some on the seat.

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
haha, I've met LoneStar once too. I was drunk at a Cowboys game a few years ago and got into a fistfight with a group of Giants fans in the luxury box next to mine. I recieved a nasty black eye. Afterwards I cornered Lonestar in this area of Texas stadium where the players drink beer and celebrate after games. All the famous white Cowboys were there, along with Lonestar. I guess they sang the national anthem.

The lead singer commented on my eye, and I said something to the effect of "I hate Giant fans and everything about the city of New York". This made him very uncomfortable. Apparently, he has nothing against the city of New York. He actually likes the place.

Then I stumbled into Jerry Jone's luxury box, where I expereinced the greatest celebrity moment of my life. Jerry liked my black eye so much that he ordered his underlings to "set me up" with more liquor. He told me I looked worse than most of his players. I peed in his toilet. I got some on the seat.
I met LoneStar on perhaps the drunkest night of my life. I was hanging out at a club when they stopped in to play a set. Apparently, it was a club that they'd kinda kicked around at before they got big. Well, they were now a big time group on their way to another gig and stopped off at the club/bar that I was at. They came in and played a set. After they were done, I bought the lead singer a double rum and coke...well, he accepted but wasn't drinking it quick enough so I asked if he was done with it.... Of course, he asked why. I told him that I was going to kill it if he was...So, he politely let me have the drink and then promptly dedicated the next set to me when they got back on stage. I don't know what all he said on stage, but I must have been a pretty damn funny drunk.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:51 AM   #39
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:

That was a great day Ape, although thankfully I only got a sore fist and a Jerry Jones autograph (still hanging on my wall) out of it, rather than a black eye[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]...
Old 05-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #40
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Here's my list:

Kenny "The Jet Smith"- it's funny, i actually asked for his job

Chris Paul- His uncle is married into my family. He was a groomsman at my cousin's wedding about 4 and a half years ago. He and Josh Howard all go to the same Baptist Church as my cousins. Also, he and my sister went bowling recently. He made me really mad b/c he went to either Game 4, 5, or 6 of the Mavs/Rockets series, and later says it's a shame because i could've came with him.

Antawn Jamison- about 5 days after he was traded to the Mavs. He signed my Nash Jersey then told me and my sister he had to go to the bathroom

Chris Wilcox

Brandon Haywood

Sam Perkins- the guy is huge

Steve Blake- i kinda ragged on him. I said he really didn't look 6'3. He said he was 6'2 and a half

Corey Maggette

Dante Culpepper- seemed nice

Randy Moss- maybe he was in a bad mood, but seemed like a jerk. He purposely set off firecrackers, as he was driving by, to scare people standing outside.

Jeff McInnis- don't know why, but i got his autograph twice

Matt Doherty- extremely nice guy

Tori Holt- another extremely nice guy

Shavlik Randolph- this was weird. i was at a preseason game in 2001 when it was T-Mac's Magic v. B. Davis' Hornets. One of my old junior high teachers was at the press seats and invited me to sit in an empty seat. Shavlik was behind us and somehow worked his way over and got interviewed. Throughout that interview, he kept staring at me. He was at a rival High School at the time.

Julius Peppers- massive size man. Although there's no way on this earth he is 6'6.

Jamaal Magloire- He was signing autographs at the same said Magic v. Hornet game.

Boys II Men- They were at a charity game i went to

Random other things:

My dad, before he died, met Michael Jordan. He came by a local clothing store he used to be a manager at. He also met Leon Sphinks and Chuck Norris(said he was real short).

At one point, Reginal VelJohnson (The father on the old show "Family Matters") went to my Church. Although i hear rumors that he's gay.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote