Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: Mavs vs Grizzlies 04/08/16 - 7:30pm CT

Oddly enough, losing their starting point guard has been a boon to the Dallas Mavericks.

It hasn't worked out so nicely for the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Grizzlies, however, are coming off a badly needed victory and will visit Dallas on Friday night having already wrapped up a spot in the playoffs, where the Mavericks also appear to be headed thanks to their hot streak.

Dallas (40-38) is inching closer to clinching a postseason berth while employing a slower pace and a new defensive intensity in the absence of Deron Williams. The Mavericks lost their first two after Williams went down late last month with a left abdominal strain, part of a 7-16 stretch in which they allowed 111.5 points per game.

The ensuing five-game win streak has seen Dallas hold every opponent below 90 points while forcing an average of 17.2 turnovers. Coach Rick Carlisle's new strategy paid off again Wednesday when his team held high-scoring Houston to its lowest point total since the All-Star break in an 88-86 victory.

"I am proud of our guys for being willing to be team guys and play this way," Carlisle said. "We lived to fight another day."

The win moved the Mavericks within two games of Memphis for fifth in the Western Conference.

J.J. Barea doesn't love the new tempo but has flourished in it while replacing Williams as the floor leader. The 10-year veteran has averaged 22.3 points -- double his season average -- in the seven games Williams has missed. He's hit 21 of 42 from 3-point range in that span while adding 6.3 assists per game.

"I like to play fast, too, but slowing it down is working for us," Barea said after scoring 27 points Wednesday. "We've got to stay that way."

The Grizzlies haven't found anyone to step up the way Barea has.

Point man Mike Conley was lost to an Achilles injury March 6, and backup Mario Chalmers was waived a few days later after rupturing an Achilles tendon.

Briante Weber and Ray McCallum unsuccessfully tried to fill the starting job before Jordan Farmar was given a shot. He's averaging 10.4 points and 3.4 assists in eight games since being signed, far off Conley's averages.

The Grizzlies (42-36) won two of their first three after losing Conley but have since gone 3-10, including losses in seven of eight road games. However, they halted a six-game losing streak overall with a 108-92 home win over Chicago on Tuesday.

"We're just starving to get a win," coach Dave Joerger said. "Every night we just go out and compete. We're just like okay well what's the next one?"

Zach Randolph had 27 points and 10 rebounds, still trying to make up for the season-ending loss of Marc Gasol (foot). Randolph is among a bevy of veterans who have helped get Memphis into the playoffs for a sixth consecutive season. That officially happened Thursday when ninth-place Houston lost to Phoenix.

"We're trying to push, we're trying to fight — one, to get it in, and two, for seeding," Farmar said. "We still believe. It's good to see nobody held their head down and kept competing."

Memphis lost the last two meetings with Dallas despite having Gasol and Conley. Dallas saw Chandler Parsons total 42 points in those games, most recently scoring 26 in a 114-110 overtime win Feb. 6, but he's undergone season-ending knee surgery.

Dirk Nowitzki accounted for 38 points in those two victories but has struggled in Carlisle's new scheme, shooting 27.4 percent and going 4 of 24 from 3-point range in the last five games.

"One of the reasons Dirk is having a hard time getting open looks is because we are playing a different style right now," Carlisle said.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Javale McGeeber

Javale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to allJavale McGeeber is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
"We're just starving to get a win," coach Dave Joerger said. "Every night we just go out and compete. We're just like okay well what's the next one?"
THIS IS THE NEXT ONE!

Let me help you work on your shocked face...

Old 04-08-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
CGM
Golden Member

CGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant futureCGM has a brilliant future

Tonight, 6 is the number of the beast, not the bear-type but the Mavs-type... although JJB FINALLY has a poor game, Ray "The Beast of Yeast" Felton has a monster of a game, where he scores 20 points, has 10 assists, and grabs 5 rebounds... Dirk "The Beast of the West Whose Abilities have Not Decreased" goes for 25 points and 10 rebounds... Wes "The Beast of Defending the Top Players from West to East" and last but not least, Mejri "The Beast of Tunisia Which is Located at Syria's East" strangle the Grissels' offense.... The number of the beast called the Mavs tonight becomes 6....

Mavs - 102
Grissels - 86

Last edited by CGM; 04-08-2016 at 12:34 PM.
CGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #4
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

So what is our magic number to get in the POs?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
So what is our magic number to get in the POs?
Two.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Mavs gotta play it all center rotation perhaps. I'd like to see how Mejri can go against the memphis bigs. No more taking it slow. Mavs can outrun it if they play consistent. Playoffs are next weekend!

Last edited by yahyes; 04-08-2016 at 05:00 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Also the Deron injury seems like a conditioning thing that caught up to him. I mean he barely played like 5 games last year. Plus brooklyn got him way off. Just give him some time while JJ starts. I really do think he can go back to playing back to his all-star caliber.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #8
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyes View Post
Also the Deron injury seems like a conditioning thing that caught up to him. I mean he barely played like 5 games last year. Plus brooklyn got him way off. Just give him some time while JJ starts. I really do think he can go back to playing back to his all-star caliber.
How is an abdominal injury due to conditioning? This late in the season his conditioning should be fine. Dude is just brittle.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:10 PM   #9
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
How is an abdominal injury due to conditioning? This late in the season his conditioning should be fine. Dude is just brittle.
Because like I said, brooklyn/jersey jacked him up. But just maybe he can rehab his way back into playing with a solid double double. He's shown a number of game already playing really well. Like when he was in Utah. He can transform into a Kidd protege playing in Dallas I think.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #10
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Deron definitely has injury issues, but he also definitely has effort issues as well. There are near complete games this season that he took off because he didn't feel like putting in the effort. Have no absolute evidence in that, but you could see it with body language and play in multiple games. Barea and to a lesser extent Harris never give us effortless games like he has. Was that to save his body? Injury issues? Maybe, but there have been many times where I'm grimacing at the tv watching him go through the motions this season. I really don't like players like that.

It's a weird position for a lot of free agents this summer with the way the team is playing now. If Deron played good defense, then I say it's a no-brainer. But he doesn't, and this team needs to embrace defense like a mother with a new born. If you're going to start Williams, Parsons, and Dirk again, then you aren't serious about it. That's just that hard truth IMO.

Edit: Just realized this was the GDT.

GO MAVS!!

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 04-08-2016 at 06:13 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Deron definitely has injury issues, but he also definitely has effort issues as well. There are near complete games this season that he took off because he didn't feel like putting in the effort. Have no absolute evidence in that, but you could see it with body language and play in multiple games. Barea and to a lesser extent Harris never give us effortless games like he has. Was that to save his body? Injury issues? Maybe, but there have been many times where I'm grimacing at the tv watching him go through the motions this season. I really don't like players like that.

It's a weird position for a lot of free agents this summer with the way the team is playing now. If Deron played good defense, then I say it's a no-brainer. But he doesn't, and this team needs to embrace defense like a mother with a new born. If you're going to start Williams, Parsons, and Dirk again, then you aren't serious about it. That's just that hard truth IMO.

Edit: Just realized this was the GDT.

GO MAVS!!
It does sort of look like Deron is putting in lack of effort. But I'll wait till if playoffs happen to have an opinion. I mean at this point it would be interesting to start Dirk at center, Parsons PF, and Deron SG. With JJ and Wes. Especially if Carlisle does put in a 3 PG lineup here and there. Deron's play on defense is scrappy and already has the size to match someone. The hard truth is Deron has a better chance at coming back than Parsons. And I'm cool with that. Parsons truly is playing his contract year. Deron I already expected it. Now let's see how Felton can play tonight, sport.

Los Mavs!

Last edited by yahyes; 04-08-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It does sort of look like Deron is putting in lack of effort. But I'll wait till if playoffs happen to have an opinion. I mean at this point it would be interesting to start Dirk at center, Parsons PF, and Deron SG. With JJ and Wes. Especially if Carlisle does put in a 3 PG lineup here and there. Deron's play on defense is scrappy and already has the size to match someone. The hard truth is Deron has a better chance at coming back than Parsons. And I'm cool with that. Parsons truly is playing his contract year. Deron I already expected it. Now let's see how Felton can play tonight, sport.

Los Mavs!
We have like 78 games of proof that support Deron is just going through the motions almost every game. Why do you need to wait until the playoffs? You really believe Deron has a better chance at coming back than Parsons? I find that hard to believe. Carlisle and Cuban both seem to be pretty fond of Parsons. Deron I'm not so sure. I'm also not sure I'd describe Deron's defense as "scrappy".
Old 04-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #13
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
We have like 78 games of proof that support Deron is just going through the motions almost every game. Why do you need to wait until the playoffs? You really believe Deron has a better chance at coming back than Parsons? I find that hard to believe. Carlisle and Cuban both seem to be pretty fond of Parsons. Deron I'm not so sure. I'm also not sure I'd describe Deron's defense as "scrappy".
We'll see how this goes.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #14
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Grizz have clinched their playoff-spot by snapping their losing streak and Houson's latest meltdown, but are still well within reach of the Mavs, so...

Go Mavs! Kick 'em while they're up!
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #15
yahyes
Banned

Fuckin matt barnes poked JJ
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #16
BPo001
Diamond Member

Slow start from both teams. I'd like to see Dirk more involved early especially after RC said the team needs to start getting him better looks.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #17
yahyes
Banned

Hope JJ's alright
Old 04-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #18
BPo001
Diamond Member

JJ to the locker room. Not a good sign given his play the last 2 weeks.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #19
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Did we really just bite on a birdman pump fake?
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #20
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Zaza not playing well.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 PM   #21
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Looks like the back is bothering JJ. Absolutely horrible pass by Felton right there.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #22
yahyes
Banned

Looked like he tweaked something.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:56 PM   #23
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Big drop off from JJ to Felton.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #24
yahyes
Banned

Next man up to contribute
Old 04-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #25
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well if JJ isn't coming back we are gonna need to take one of harris or felton out. Because we need one of them on the floor at all times can't play them together... which is the only positive in that situation right now.

--Edit--
Well I should say they can't play -much- at the same time. We are so thin they would still have to some.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 04-08-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #26
yahyes
Banned

But Dirk.. get him open.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #27
Underdog

@espn_macmahon: J.J. Barea (right groin strain) is questionable to return. He has led the Mavs in scoring and assists during each game of their five-game winning streak, averaging 24.2 points and 7 assists during that span.

@espn_macmahon: If J.J. Barea can't go, Mavs are without their top 3 creators. Chandler Parsons and Deron Williams are already out.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:08 PM   #28
Underdog

Well, that was a slow quarter of basketball... First team to 80 wins?

Old 04-08-2016, 08:10 PM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Zaza 0pts, 1reb, -3 after playing more of first quarter
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #30
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@espn_macmahon: J.J. Barea (right groin strain) is questionable to return. He has led the Mavs in scoring and assists during each game of their five-game winning streak, averaging 24.2 points and 7 assists during that span.

@espn_macmahon: If J.J. Barea can't go, Mavs are without their top 3 creators. Chandler Parsons and Deron Williams are already out.
If the Mavs can manage this game without him before the 4th. I say rest him till we play the clippers.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Zaza 8:42 for one rebound
Mejri 0:19 for one rebound
Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #32
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Man I love Mejri.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #33
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Anderson and Mejri are team block
Old 04-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #34
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Reading through the comments im afraid to turn the game on...im okay if the win isnt there tonight, but JJ/groin would really dampen the playoffs assuming the mavs make it. Grizz always give mavs a tough time
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #35
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Time for Felton to eat a cheeseburger like Popeye eating spinach and go all dominant like early season
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 PM   #36
BPo001
Diamond Member

Salah comes in and suddenly Memphis can't get anything at the rim. Amazing how that works!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #37
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Anderson for three!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #38
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Salah comes in and suddenly Memphis can't get anything at the rim. Amazing how that works!
Just lucky I guess. Right Rick? LOL

Last edited by turin; 04-08-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #39
yahyes
Banned

Quote:
The Tunisian Wonder!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Salah the Ballah and Anderson suddenly make us an elite defensive team