Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #81
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Kidd LONG BEFORE the all-star break:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HTNW...layer_embedded
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #82
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

Since the all-star break: 13 ppg/7.3 rpg/10 apg/2.16 spg shooting 41.8 % 3FG
The biggest difference? He's averaging 10 FGA after the break (7.6 FGA before).

He's now #2 in A/TO, #3 in spg, #5 in apg and #12 in 3pt % Would be great if can finish in the top 10 in the last category.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-10-2010 at 02:10 AM.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #83
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

double post

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-10-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #84
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #85
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I said it in the post-game thread with Minnesota and I'll say it again:

Father time is undefeated, but he hasn't met Jason Kidd yet.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 03-10-2010 at 12:06 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:49 AM   #86
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I said it in the post-game thread with Minnesota and I'll say it again:

Father time is undefeated, but he hasn't met Jason Kidd yet.
this ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:14 AM   #87
basketman61

basketman61 will become famous soon enough

basketman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #88
Emjo21

Emjo21 is on a distinguished road

Maybe he'll just bump Father Time off the sidelines when he comes.
Emjo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #89
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1
Quote:
A Kidd at heart: Mavs' playmaker, at 36+, on top of his game

Posted Mar 10 2010 11:43AM

The names, strung together, read like a list for a reunion, lacking only the big cheerful sign on a ballroom wall: "Welcome back, Class of 1994!"

In this case, we're talking about the NBA Draft class that graduated into the basketball job market that June. Some of the big men (and little men, too) who left campus that year: Glenn Robinson, Donyell Marshall, Lamond Murray, Eddie Jones, Jalen Rose, Aaron McKie, Wesley Person, Howard Eisley and a bunch of other guys who have slipped nicely into those "Whatever happened to...?" questions.

Then there is Jason Kidd, the No. 2 pick behind Robinson and a player who is defying both odds and precedents. The Dallas Mavericks' floor leader -- a fellow whose Hall of Fame credentials and general all-time-ness was secure several seasons ago -- is estranged from Father Time and seemingly in cahoots with Ponce de Leon as he motors along as an invaluable part of the league's hottest team.

Oh, Grant Hill, the No. 3 pick in '94 and Kidd's Co-Rookie of the Year that season, still is a key contributor down in Phoenix, as if drawing on reserves from all those games warehoused through injuries. Juwan Howard, the No. 5 pick, has been pressed into duty by the mishaps befalling Portland's big men, logging some serviceable minutes after averaging only 46 mostly minor appearances in 2007-08 and 2008-09.

But Kidd has played at another level, appearing in his 10th All-Star Game last month and posting numbers that are nearly indistinguishable from those he has put up throughout his career. Or in some cases, better: Kidd is averaging 9.4 assists and 2.46 turnovers this season, compared to his career marks of 9.2 and 3.09. He has led Dallas to its gaudy 12-game winning streak, a 44-21 mark overall and their current status as the Western Conference team most capable of keeping the Lakers out of the Finals.

Kidd also has been the Dallas player most responsible for integrating the talents of three former Washington Wizards (Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood, DeShawn Stevenson) dropped into the Mavericks' laps over the All-Star break. He has done it with scant practice time, too, ignoring what some coaches or players would use as a crutch or alibi.

"We're too old to be practicing," forward Shawn Marion said after the Mavs beat Chicago 122-116 Saturday for No. 11 in their streak. They bumped it to 12 Monday in Minnesota. "The way we play, with J-Kidd out there forcing the tempo of the game and pushing the ball, and everybody trying to help each other, it's easier."

Marion has reunited with Kidd after benefiting from the point guard's play for two years upon his own arrival to Phoenix in 1999. "Eleven years ago. Huh!" Marion said."I always thought J-Kidd was unique, because he's the only point guard I've played with who is capable of getting a triple-double every night. And the way he does it is unbelievable -- most guards don't play both ends of the floor the way he does. He takes that challenge."

Any noticeable changes in Kidd's game? "He's shooting the three better now, but he didn't really shoot it a lot when we played together before," Marion said. "He was really aggressive attacking the basket then. Now he just ... it speaks for itself, the way he's playing."

By the time Dallas coach Rick Carlisle was Kidd's age, his playing days were long done and he was starting his seventh season as an NBA assistant coach. "I didn't have him when he was 26," Carlisle said. "But like all of us, with time we gain more wisdom, we gain a better understanding of the game. You get more of a command of the game, too. There are people who would say he's lost this or that physically, but he's got plenty in the tank, trust me."

Kidd laughed when it is noted that he's playing well at an age when most point guards are wearing suits or headsets. "I feel great. My body feels good, and mentally I'm fresh," he said. "They gave me the night off the other night [March 3 vs. Minnesota], which was nice. But I'm ready to go. I'm very lucky and thankful that I'm able to play at this high level at ... 36 1/2."

On March 23, Kidd will turn 37. But he's sticking with "36 1/2" as long as possible. "I feel 26 1/2," he said. "The biggest thing is the knowledge of the game. I know a little more than I did at 26. I'll take that any day of the week ... With the younger guys, they keep me young, they tease me. But my job is to teach Roddy [Beaubois] and J.J. [Barea] how to be successful. I enjoy that part of the game, too."

The beauty with Kidd these days, it's not just "do as I say," it's very much "do as I do." He has averaged 13.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 10 assists, 2.2 steals and 37.5 minutes since All-Star Weekend, with one triple-double and six double-doubles. He has taken more pride, too, in Dallas' 12-1 record since the trade; the Mavs shot 32 percent and lost at Oklahoma City in their first game together but have purred since.

"When you get a new batch of guys, it energizes people a little bit," Carlisle said. "Jason has embraced the challenge of getting these guys integrated. We haven't been able to do a lot of play-calling because we haven't had a lot of practice time to get our plays in. So he's been a facilitator."

Said Kidd: "We're loaded with guys who know how to put the ball in the basket. We all enjoy sharing the ball and being part of a play that's successful. We've got guys who understand how to play ... It's been a perfect fit. These guys want to win. Coming from the situation in Washington, they wanted to fit in."

At this stage of his career -- with so many Draft mates retired, broken down physically, out of sight and out of mind -- Kidd has plenty of "old guy" stuff on his resume: the double-digit All-Star invites, 104 triple-doubles, 10,791 assists (second all-time), 2,317 steals (fourth all-time), 1,620 three-pointers made (fifth) and 1,157 starts (seven in NBA history).

But he also is mixing it up with the league's "new guys." Kidd, with 23, is one of only seven players this season to reach double figures in points and assists at least 10 times. The average age of the five guys behind Kidd on that list is 25.8 (Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, Chris Paul, LeBron James and Baron Davis).

The one guy ahead of him, with 37 such games, is Phoenix's Steve Nash; the other ageless point guard wonder.

"I've played with two Hall of Famers, basically," Dallas MVP candidate Dirk Nowitzki said. "I've been very fortunate. What separates them from the rest of the point guards is they see plays develop. Some point guards get you the ball when you're open, but with Kidd and Nash, they just read plays -- their basketball IQs are out of this world -- and they see stuff going on. Obviously, there are some differences: Kidd is a bigger body, better post-up player and rebounder and defender. Nash is a better shooter. But their passing skills, they're both guys who are fun to play with."

Is Nowitzki surprised to see them both excelling so late in their careers? "Yeah, it's amazing," he said. "Both of them obviously take good care of their bodies. Kidd is in there lifting every day. Nash, he does the same thing. They eat right and do all the good things you've got to do to play long in this league. They both have fun playing -- I think that's an important thing. And they're both still chasing a dream, that's winning a championship."

In Chicago the other night, Kidd missed out on his 105th triple-double because, despite 11 rebounds and 15 assists, he took only six shots and made only two, scoring six points. Afterward, he shrugged it off.

"You have to gauge what the team needs," Kidd said. "Tonight they didn't need me to score -- guys were going and I recognized that early, so we made sure we got the ball to them. I can always find another aspect of the game to help: Rebound, play defense and try to do the little things ... That's the part of my career I came to grips with early. A lot of times I've missed a triple-double because of points. As much as I could play for stats out there, I could have taken our team out of winning the game by trying to score four more points."

Kevin McHale marveled recently that Larry Bird and Magic Johnson could dominate games on nights when they'd take just 12 shots. Kidd often is that kind of player.

"That's a very accurate and appropriate explanation for his greatness," agreed Carlisle. "A lot of times, it's not related to his scoring. Sometimes it's 1-on-1 defense on the ball. Sometimes it's help defense. Sometimes it's how he's able to instill confidence in teammates, younger guys, get them juiced up. He's had a big impact on Beaubois' play, because he's always encouraging him to be aggressive. And hey, when you're a young player and you've got Jason Kidd telling you to be aggressive, you're going to listen to that guy.

"That's one of the things that makes Jason one of the unique players probably in history."
Good article.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #90
aurelino9

Another good article I read:
Quote:
Whatever became of Jason Kidd?

by MrSportsKnowItAll.com on Mar 6, 2010 9:17 AM EST

19 points, 16 rebounds, 17 assists.

Calling it a triple-double just doesn't do it justice.

Since the 1986-87 season -- when Basketball-Reference.com's box score database begins -- Jason Kidd's triple-Montana in last Friday's 111-103 OT win over Atlanta is only the third of its kind. Magic Johnson predictably had one of them -- his was actually a triple-Winger -- in a 142-118 win over Denver on April 18, 1989, scoring 24 points with 17 rebounds and 17 assists.

Wanna guess who owns the other one? It's Jason Kidd. From 1996.

In that 105-101 win over the Clippers, a 22-year-old Kidd played all 48 minutes in posting a 21-16-16 line. But what he did against the Hawks, less than a month from his 37th birthday, is unprecedented.

There have now been 41 triple-doubles by players 34 and older; Kidd has nearly half of them with 19. Of the 14 triple-doubles by players 35 or older, five belong to Kidd. However, only one of the other 35-plussers had as many as 12 in each category: Larry Bird's inconceivable 49-14-12 against Portland in 1992.

Forgetting about age, Kidd now owns the only 15-rebound, 15-assist, 3-or-fewer-turnover game in the B-R.com era. The only one. In fact, the rest of the NBA has only four 14-rebound, 14-assist, 3-or-fewer-turnover games in that span, by Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Grant Hill, and LeBron James, and all but Jordan -- who did it in a remarkable 30 minutes -- needed at least 48 minutes of playing time to accomplish the feat. Kidd, meanwhile, has four all by himself, and has required just 44, 42, 38, and 46 minutes to do it.
http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/3/6/13...-of-jason-kidd
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #91
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, its become a blessing to have J-Kidd around, I really appreciate what he's done for us. At the age of 36 going on 37 he pretty much has every excuse to suck, but instead he continues to work hard, work on his shooting, and stay in good shape. What a player, hopefully we can win a ring for him.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #92
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks' trade for Jason Kidd looks better with age

If Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson call up NBA stats on their laptops today, they'll probably smile -- but they won't be surprised. They never doubted the decision they made two years ago when they traded for Jason Kidd.

They knew they were giving up an outstanding young point guard in Devin Harris, but even though he was 10 years younger than Kidd, no one had him penciled in for the Hall of Fame.

There is little doubt that Kidd -- the greatest 6-foot-4 franchise player in the history of the NBA -- will be in the Hall. He ranks second behind only John Stockton in career assists and his feat of directing the lowly Nets to two NBA Finals is the equivalent of someone hitting or pitching the Rangers to the World Series twice.

For the Mavericks, however, career achievements are insignificant compared to the present. And there is little doubt that Kidd has proven to be a better fit for this team than Harris, who will visit Dallas along with the Nets tonight at 7:30 in American Airlines Center.

Kidd will be 37 in two weeks, but consider the individual matchup between Kidd and Harris this season.

Kidd leads Harris in minutes played, field-goal percentage, 3-point percentage and free-throw percentage, and averages more rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. He also has fewer turnovers.

Harris leads Kidd in exactly one category -- scoring average.

Kidd also starts for a team that is 44-21 and contending for the best regular-season record in the league. Harris starts for a team that is 7-56 and desperately trying to avoid becoming the worst team in NBA history.

There is also a matter of health. Harris has missed 10 or more games five times in his seven-year career. Kidd has missed 10 or more only four times in a 16-year career.

In the last six years, including the current season, Harris has missed 75 games while Kidd has missed eight, and one of those was because Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle gave him a night off to rest.

He is, after all, almost 37 (you know -- old!) and when you're more effective than guards 10 years your junior and your team is in the midst of a double-digit win streak, if the coach asks you to take a day off, you do it.

When Carlisle ordered Kidd to rest, he was asked whether he had confidence that backups J.J. Barea and Roddy Beaubois could fill in for Kidd.

"When you've got a guy playing in a different stratosphere, anybody playing behind him is going to seem like they are not playing at the same level," Carlisle said. "The truth is nobody is at that level right now. He's playing at as high of a level as anybody in this league at the point position."

The stats and the Mavericks' win column support that.

Kidd currently ranks fifth in the NBA in assists with 9.4 a game, but even though that has been his major strength during his career, it is secondary to two other categories.

Kidd again leads all full-time guards in rebounding with 5.5 per game. That's more than Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul, Rajon Rondo, Deron Williams or Chauncey Billups.

Kidd has never been a good shooter. He has made only 40.3 percent of his shots during his career.
But since he returned to Dallas in 2008, something strange has happened. At the time of the trade to the Mavericks, Kidd had made 33.4 percent of his 3-point attempts during his career.

In this second tour in Dallas, however, he has made 41.6 percent of his 3-point shots. That, in fact, is exactly what he is shooting this season, and he ranks 12th in the league.

But there is a better stat.

Of players who have attempted 300 or more 3-point shots, Kidd ranks second in the league in percent made. Only Phoenix's Channing Frye, who has made 43.4 percent of his shots, is more accurate than Kidd.

Despite Kidd's overwhelming statistical advantage, the Nets would still make the trade today. It is, in fact, one of those deals that has worked out for both teams, although there are not only questions of Harris's durability, but also of his future in New Jersey.

Like every other team in position for the No. 1 pick in the draft, the Nets are drooling over the possibility of drafting Kentucky point guard John Wall. If they get the No. 1 pick, Harris will either get more time at shooting guard, or he will be used in a trade.

Still, that should work out for the Nets. And there is every reason to believe that Kidd can continue to be effective for the Mavericks for the next two years of his contract.

The perceptive Dallas fan has to be excited about life after Kidd, however. How comforting is it for Mavericks fans to know that Rocket Roddy Beaubois, the point guard of the future, is learning his craft from Jason Kidd?
http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/03...for-jason.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #93
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Ha, the Nets would still make the trade today? Kidd was forcing his way out. And if he were still in Jersey, the motivation just would not be there, night in and night out.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #94
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Ha, the Nets would still make the trade today? Kidd was forcing his way out. And if he were still in Jersey, the motivation just would not be there, night in and night out.
True. Harris the same thing. I think he would be hitting his prime now if he were still playing here. Instead he is just uninterested in contributing for the Nets and giving his all.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #95
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure we gave up a ton, but I liked the deal from the start and that hasn't changed.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #96
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Sure we gave up a ton, but I liked the deal from the start and that hasn't changed.
Right there with ya. Always like the move...always will.

Not based on IF it gets the Mavs a ring in Dirk's prime or not...but merely for the fact they are acting on the Philosophy that they must take advantage of Dirk's prime in whatever ways possible.

If it works or not...I like shooting all your bullets while you've still got a Ringer.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #97
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
(Or are you trying to make a joke about JK being > than pole vault girl? If so, then I admit...its pretty dang close.)
This. And your balls hate you so much right now.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #98
aurelino9

That Mavs-Hawks epic is a great one to watch on these slow days.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #99
kchan

kchan is on a distinguished road

If you want epic Jason Kidd, you should watch the game between him and Nash in his last year with the Nets (I think it was). That game went into triple over time, Nash scored like 41 points and had close to 20 assists, while Kidd had something like 37-14-14-7. One of the best games I ever watched. Not like he'll do something like that any time in the foreseeable future, due to all the weapons he has around him, but I believe that game was one of the best things to feature his greatness. He should have been the MVP in 2004(last time he got to the Finals), not that freakin Duncan. Timmy just had the advantage of better media coverage.

But yeah, it has long been considered that the kind of play Kidd does is something that he could keep up until he's 41, kinda like Reggie and Stockton. I remember Reggie's last year where he lit up Kobe with 40points.
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #100
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:

"I've heard it. I've never agreed with it. That's on you guys."

Mavericks guard Jason Kidd, reflecting Wednesday night -- after a come-from-behind victory over the Devin Harris-led New Jersey Nets -- on the criticism he and the Mavs received throughout last season because Harris, now 27, was the centerpiece of a trade package Dallas surrendered to acquire Kidd at the 2008 trade deadline.

It's now a near-nightly occurrence for reporters to stop by Kidd's locker and personally withdraw those sentiments, with the 36-year-old in the midst of a renaissance that has fueled the Mavericks' 13-game win streak.

In 13 games since the All-Star break, excluding the March 3 home win over Minnesota he was allowed to skip for rest reasons, Kidd is averaging 13.6 points, 9.9 assists, 7.1 rebounds and 2.3 steals in 38 minutes per game.

Kidd, who turns 37 on March 23, is also shooting a career-best 42.1 percent on 3-pointers, continuing to capitalize on the sort of open looks from long range that he had never experienced in his career until he hooked up with Dirk Nowitzki.

"You guys said I couldn't shoot, you said that I'm too old," Kidd continued after Wednesday's win. "It's nothing new in that aspect of always hearing a doubt. I just keep trying to do what I've done for however many years I've been doing it. I can just be me. I can't change me. I can only work on becoming a better person, a better player and a better shooter. Right now, it's all paying off."/QUOTE]

"I've heard it. I've never agreed with it. That's on you guys."

Mavericks guard Jason Kidd, reflecting Wednesday night -- after a come-from-behind victory over the Devin Harris-led New Jersey Nets -- on the criticism he and the Mavs received throughout last season because Harris, now 27, was the centerpiece of a trade package Dallas surrendered to acquire Kidd at the 2008 trade deadline.

It's now a near-nightly occurrence for reporters to stop by Kidd's locker and personally withdraw those sentiments, with the 36-year-old in the midst of a renaissance that has fueled the Mavericks' 13-game win streak.

In 13 games since the All-Star break, excluding the March 3 home win over Minnesota he was allowed to skip for rest reasons, Kidd is averaging 13.6 points, 9.9 assists, 7.1 rebounds and 2.3 steals in 38 minutes per game.

Kidd, who turns 37 on March 23, is also shooting a career-best 42.1 percent on 3-pointers, continuing to capitalize on the sort of open looks from long range that he had never experienced in his career until he hooked up with Dirk Nowitzki.

"You guys said I couldn't shoot, you said that I'm too old," Kidd continued after Wednesday's win. "It's nothing new in that aspect of always hearing a doubt. I just keep trying to do what I've done for however many years I've been doing it. I can just be me. I can't change me. I can only work on becoming a better person, a better player and a better shooter. Right now, it's all paying off."
http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...13/games-watch
Old 03-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #101
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty55555 View Post
there's also this little nugget:

Quote:
2. Shaquille O'Neal's thumb injury has cost him the top spot on the list of most games played by active players. Dallas' Jason Kidd passed the Cavs' center when he helped the Mavericks to a 96-87 victory over his old friends from New Jersey on Wednesday night.

Active players with 1,000 games played
Name Games
Jason Kidd (Mavericks) 1,171
Shaquille O'Neal (Cavaliers) 1,170
Kevin Garnett (Celtics) 1,107
Juwan Howard (Blazers) 1,101
Michael Finley (Celtics) 1,084
Rasheed Wallace (Celtics) 1,069
Derek Fisher (Lakers) 1,011
Kobe Bryant (Lakers) 1,008
Ray Allen (Celtics) 1,004
So Jason Kidd has now the most games played under active players. The man with the most mileage. Mos' definitely. "Mr.Mileage"! - is it too late for a new nickname(I don't think so)?. Does that even make sense, "Mr.Mileage"? Any other suggestions?
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #102
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
there's also this little nugget:

So Jason Kidd has now the most games played under active players. The man with the most mileage. Mos' definitely. "Mr.Mileage"! - is it too late for a new nickname(I don't think so)?. Does that even make sense, "Mr.Mileage"? Any other suggestions?
He might have the most minutes but not the most mileage. He definitely reserves his energy. His size, strength, and his court vision allows him to still be effective in heavy minutes without wearing himself down.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #103
aurelino9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
He might have the most minutes but not the most mileage. He definitely reserves his energy. His size, strength, and his court vision allows him to still be effective in heavy minutes without wearing himself down.
How does he reserve his energy? He's always going after loose balls, diving in the stands, defending bigger players in the post and rebounding. Does he have as much wear and tear as, say, Wade who crashes to the basket a lot? No but neither do any of the other players below Kidd in that list, with the exception of Bryant and Shaq, who have played more playoff minutes. The fact that he's effective doesn't mean that there's no mileage on the body. And remember, here's someone who had microfracture surgery done on his knee a few years ago.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-13-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #104
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurelino9 View Post
How does he reserve his energy? He's always going after loose balls, diving in the stands, defending bigger players in the post and rebounding. Does he have as much wear and tear as, say, Wade who crashes to the basket a lot? No but neither do any of the other players below Kidd in that list, with the exception of Bryant and Shaq, who have played more playoff minutes. The fact that he's effective doesn't mean that there's no mileage on the body. And remember, here's someone who had microfracture surgery done on his knee a few years ago.
He rarely attacks the basket, he rarely puts a ton of energy on defense, and he he is the one throwing the passes while everyone is running up the court to get it for a shot. Oh and now he is good enough 3 point shooter now to be effective without having to slash. At the end of games, he does put a lot of energy into but he reserves it early on. Beaubois and Devin Harris are guys that don't reserve energy. 30 minutes for them is like 40 minutes for Kidd.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #105
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I actually think this is a very salient point. Nice.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #106
aurelino9

Quote:
He rarely attacks the basket, he rarely puts a ton of energy on defense, and he he is the one throwing the passes while everyone is running up the court to get it for a shot. Oh and now he is good enough 3 point shooter now to be effective without having to slash. At the end of games, he does put a lot of energy into but he reserves it early on. Beaubois and Devin Harris are guys that don't reserve energy. 30 minutes for them is like 40 minutes for Kidd.
"Her rarely puts a ton of energy on defense"

That's not accurate. He can't guard quick pgs but it doesn't mean he doesn't put effort.
How many of those long passes does he throw per game? no more than two on average, I'd say. Generally he is running with the ball and making the pass past the timeline.

Also, we're talking about mileage over a 16 year career so doesn't make sense to bring a rookie into the discussion.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-13-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #107
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
"Her rarely puts a ton of energy on defense"

That's not accurate. He can't guard quick pgs but it doesn't mean he doesn't put effort.
How many of those long passes does he throw per game? no more than two on average, I'd say. Generally he is running with the ball and making the pass past the timeline.

Also, we're talking about mileage over a 16 year career so doesn't make sense to bring a rookie into the discussion.
True and he will walk/jog the ball up the court when there is no fastbreak available. Some players are suited for quick bursts of energy and some prefer more minutes to get in the flow. I think Kidd is one of those players that play better with more minutes as he gets in a better flow. Kinda like Dirk. And Kidd makes up for his lack of pure speed with his positioning, size, awareness, and endurance. Yeah the super fast point guards give him problems. I think Carlisle should use Beaubois as a situational substitution against these type of players and let Kidd guard the 2 guard. And Iverson is probably the one with the most mileage.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #108
aurelino9

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...F#nba/18581858

Kenny Smith on Kidd
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #109
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

A no show tonight. I guess he was reserving again. lol
Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #110
aurelino9

He and Barea were the only one who looked like they were trying, at least.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #111
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
He and Barea were the only one who looked like they were trying, at least.
lol they were all trying. Just too slow tonight. Might be fatigue creeping in after a rough schedule and poor minute management from the coach.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #112
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Since he's really never had a decent backup, coaches have had to rely on him for 40 a night. The guy manages his tank, he will sprint if needed, but he knows crunch time is the 4th, so maybe a loose ball in the 1st quarter, he won't sprint and dive after it, but in the 4th he will. I remember reading somewhere that after games his rookie year, he showered sitting on a stool, he was that exhausted. As time passed, he managed his minutes a lot better, knowing full well how many minutes he will get.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #113
aurelino9

Quote:
Did Kidd Sit Out End Of Mavs Win With An Injury?
Barea Handles The Helm In 113-106 Win As Two Different Tales Emerge
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Did Jason Kidd sit out the fourth quarter of the Mavs’ 113-106 win Wednesday over the Bulls because he’s got a good heart? Or because he’s got a bad knee?
Kidd registered just 24 minutes in the Dallas victory, and on the surface, that seems like a positive. As he approaches his 37th birthday – and the NBA Playoffs – he’ll need all the fuel he can store up.
That was certainly part of the logic as Kidd sat out the entire second quarter; the Mavs, now 46-22, were in the process of building up a 25-point lead over shorthanded Chicago.
But was it also part of the logic when he sat out the entire fourth quarter … even as the ballsy Bulls closed to within seven points with just minutes remaining?
Is/was Kidd hurt ... or not?
Two different tales emerged from the Dallas locker room:
Story No. 1: “He’s had some soreness (in his knee) the last couple of days,’’ Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said of Kidd. “So about a minute or two into the fourth … he was done. We were going to have to do it without him.’’
I scribbled in my notes at the time that it almost appeared like a “good-and-stubborn’’ move by Carlisle, a sort of umbilical-cord cutting for the non-Kidds who ought to be able to close this one out without their captain.
Now, we know better.
Or do we?
Story No. 2: While Carlisle was mentioning Kidd’s knee … Kidd was insisting to the media that he wasn’t really injured at all and that he simply was sitting in order to let others play.
"We had the game under control,'' Kidd said, "so I made the decision to let the other guys play."
Really? Jason’s generosity extended to an actual NBA game in which Dallas entered the fourth leading by 16 but had to hang on to win by seven?
I mean, that's sweet and all, but ...
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle … part believing that his knee needed ice and part believing his team didn't need him. ... and it’s a good thing that Dallas survived with help from both Roddy Beaubois and J.J. Barea.
“It was going to be JJ or Roddy,’’ Carlisle said …
Well, 11 days ago, Roddy B scored a career-high 24 points in Chicago …
“And JJ’s been there before.’’
Oh.
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2743

Kidd has looked less than himself in the last two games and I don't know when it happened but I remember him crashing into the stands for a loose ball and banging his knee with one of the fans not too long ago. He has a history of not telling the media about any bumps and bruises.

Last edited by aurelino9; 03-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #114
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:

Kidd has looked less than himself in the last two games and I don't know when it happened but I remember him crashing into the stands for a loose ball and banging his knee with one of the fans not too long ago. He has a history of not telling the media about any bumps and bruises.
Maybe but I think the 44.5 minute game took a lot out of him. No reason for Kidd to be playing those type of minutes in the regular season at his age.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 PM   #115
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing he sat because he's an old man with a surgically reconstructed knee who's been playing 40+ minutes every night since the All Star break. Until I hear that he's hurt and missing time, I'm not at all worried.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #116
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:

That incident was also one of the first things that came to my mind when I heard Followill and Elfenbein wondering what to make of these postame comments about Kidd, and btw, I also don't know which game it was.
He had three days rest before the Chicago game, let's hope the fouth-quarter resting and the two more days between the games are enough to appease his knees.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #117
aurelino9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavErika View Post
That incident was also one of the first things that came to my mind when I heard Followill and Elfenbein wondering what to make of these postame comments about Kidd, and btw, I also don't know which game it was.
He had three days rest before the Chicago game, let's hope the fouth-quarter resting and the two more days between the games are enough to appease his knees.
I remember now, it was the Nets game. First Kidd went into the crowd then Harris did the same soon after. So that was on March 10 and they've only played two more games since then, both of which have been subpar, as far as Kidd's performance is concerned. Maybe that's another reason why he was excused from a couple of practices. I have followed his career for quite some time and him asking to ice his kness in the 4th quarter isn't something that happens very often.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #118
aurelino9

Great article on Kidd's career achievements.
Quote:
Today, March 23, 2010, is the 37th birthday of Mavericks poing guard Jason Kidd. Sixteen years ago he was drafted by the Mavericks and played in Dallas for two-and-a-half seasons before leaving for Phoenix. Two years ago he returned to Dallas and all things considered, he has been playing excellent ball for a man of his age … and of any age.

As J-Kidd’s birthday present -- to him and to you -- DallasBasketball.com pays tribute to his career by looking at the amazing numbers:
Now, let all of this sink in:

*He is top 6 all-time in six categories.

*He is top 50 all-time in 13 categories.

*He is a special player because there are only three men in the history of the NBA with career averages of 8+ assists and 6+ rebounds (also the only three men to have over 100 triple-doubles): Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson, and Jason Kidd

And beyond this he has done a hand-full of things that no one else has ever done.

*There is only one man in the history of the NBA with career numbers of 7,000+ assists, 7,000+ rebounds, and 2,000+ steals: Jason Kidd.

*There is only one man in the history of the NBA with career numbers of 10,000+ assists and 7,000+ rebounds: Jason Kidd.

*There is only one man in the history of the NBA with career averages of 7+ assists, 6+ rebounds, and 2+ steals: Jason Kidd.

*There is only one man in the history of the NBA to have career averages of 5+ assists, 5+ rebounds, 2+ steals, and 33.0+ 3P%: Jason Kidd.

*There is only one man in the history of the NBA to have single season averages of 8+ assists, 6+ rebounds, 2+ steals, and 30.0+ 3P% (and he’s done it 5 separate times): Jason Kidd.

And now he is doing something once again that no one has ever done…

*Two years ago no one in the history of the NBA had ever averaged 5+ rebounds, 8+ assists, and 40.0+ 3P% in a single season. Then last year a 36-year-old PG did it for the first time and now he is doing it for the second year in a row: Jason Kidd.

Today is a good time for us to appreciate the great play of Jason Kidd over his career and to also appreciate the greatness that is going on Dallas right before our eyes. Jason Kidd is still doing amazing things today as a 37-year-old … things that no one has ever done before.

Happy Birthday Jason!
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2763
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #119
kchan

kchan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Great article on Kidd's career achievements.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2763
This just says he's amazing in too many words...^_^
kchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #120
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
On Jason Kidd's excellent birthday -- season high 26 points, 6 rebounds, 12 assists and a steal.
"I can't say enough great things about Jason Kidd. Tonight, and really the two years I've been with him. He's just phenomenal." - Coach Rick Carlisle

"Man, he's the Ageless Wonder. They say he's thirty-seven, but I gotta see the birth certificate . . . He's just one of those guys that seems like he can play forever." - Brendan Haywood

"He's a legend, a great player." - Baron Davis

“Since Dirk was gone, I thought I would play Dirk today.” - Jason Kidd

Any birthday treats in the locker room?
"We're gonna save it for after the Golden State game . . . We got a big surprise party for him. Don't tell anybody." - Jason Terry
http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2766

Tags
celebrationwin, minimum standards?, minimum you, murphsuxcox... harrycox