Pretty darn excited. I plan to make some time to watch games and cheer 8 47.06%
Cautiously excited. Let's see how we come out of the gates 2 11.76%
Suspicious. I want to see some good things before I will care. 0 0%
Not excited at all. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #4041
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Spurs waiving Luka Samanic.

Luka Garza may be available.

I say we trade for Garza and pick Samanic up off waivers.

“Luka drives and passes out to Luka who passes to Luka in the post”
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2021, 12:45 AM   #4042
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Spurs waiving Luka Samanic.

Luka Garza may be available.

I say we trade for Garza and pick Samanic up off waivers.

“Luka drives and passes out to Luka who passes to Luka in the post”
All your Luka are belong to us!
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #4043
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

edit

Last edited by Dallas41; 10-12-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:29 AM   #4044
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Kind of funny how all this stuff is now starting to come out. A few us over the years did agree that RC's style was starting to wear on players and that's why we mostly wanted him gone. It wasn't always just the players fault.......but most of the players who had issues with RC were always made out to be the culprit's

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2021/1...l-you-about-it

The Mavericks are happy Rick Carlisle is gone and they can’t wait to tell you about it
It was clearly time for a change, but Carlisle’s contributions should not be forgotten

“You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain,” Harvey Dent said in The Dark Knight. Rick Carlisle was absolutely a hero after the 2011 finals when he coached the Dallas Mavericks to their only championship in franchise history. Carlisle deserved a ton of credit for his ability to make adjustments and unleash Dirk Nowitzki.

Fast forward through a decade of mediocrity and Carlisle has seen himself become the villain. Carlisle was incredibly difficult on players and famously feuded with several of his point guards including his successor, Jason Kidd. The cracks in the Carlisle armor as a hero began fairly famously with Kendrick Perkins stating on ESPN that “Former players I talked to never say anything good about Rick Carlisle.”

The Mavericks made two playoff appearances since then with Luka Doncic going supernova in each. However, the team was unable to win a single series, completing a decade of playoff futility. During that time, the Mavericks went 393 and 394. That futility, coupled with Carlisle’s prickliness opened him up to these forms of criticism.

Winning is the ultimate deodorant and when the Mavericks were competing for titles, Carlisle’s constant picking and prodding was acceptable but a decade of .500 basketball caused that picking and prodding to be maddening for the Mavericks players.

Since the Mavericks reported to camp, there have been lots of shots at Carlisle from all corners of the organization. Jason Kidd implied that Kristaps Porzingis was not used properly. Porzingis echoed those sentiments.

All of this is fine. Carlisle was difficult and the players and staff are free to revel in their new found freedom. It was time for a change and both parties are better with Carlisle gone. But while everyone is rushing to pile on Carlisle since he has become the villain, don’t forget to praise Carlisle from when he was the hero. Because he absolutely was one at one point.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #4045
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I am positively thrilled by the Mavs first two pre-season games. We see what looks like a brand new Porzingas, a revitalized Powell and a faster paced offense that seems to emphasize quick hits instead of always walking the ball up.

Part of this is clearly the new approach to offense from Kidd and his team. He is unlocking more of Luka's skill to pass in fast break situations, which Carlisle seemed positively allergic to. I love seeing KP race to the basket after rebounds and position himself for a Luka pass. He's so tall, he can catch and finish, or draw fouls, because the first defenders back are usually short guys. It also means more open three point shooters as defenses collapse on KP. As a result, we were also seeing the Mavs consistently in the penalty by the six minute mark. And with the ball moving more, guys not named Luka are shooting free throws at a high percentage.

Defensively, KP is more active than we have ever seen, getting blocks and getting into passing lanes. In the Clippers game, we could see them stop driving into the lane, which in past years has been an open freeway to easy dunks, layups and foul shots. If KP can police the lane, wing defenders can be more aggressive, knowing they have help behind them.

It would be easy to credit Kidd and blame Carlisle, but let me say this in his defense. He never got to coach a KP who was this healthy. But I think more credit can go to the fact that Luka has seen what happens when the entire offense consists of him walking the ball up into a fully set defense, drawing a double team and either playing hero ball, or passing out to open but inconsistent three point shooters. He has seen what a waste it is to leave KP in the corner instead of using his skills to both run and to post up. Luka seems fully committed to making KP his Robin, and Porzingas seems eager to take on the role.

We all knew that the Mavs only chance to get better was to revive the Unicorn. Its only two pre-season games, but its a hell of a start. I hope I'm saying the same thing once defenses see what the Mavs are doing and adjust. But so far, so good.

Last edited by G-Man; 10-12-2021 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #4046
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I will never understand why Rick wanted to slow us down every play.

I understand when we had Dirk, we'd wait up for Dirk to get down the court and Rick wanted us to run some halfcourt to prepare for the post-season, but it seemed like Rick told them to slow it down every single play. But we never sped it up after Dirk retired, and it's one thing to practice half-court in practice/during games. It's another thing to completely limit the offense by refusing to run.

When your superstar is a 6'8" PG who rebounds, drives and passes as well as he does, you're ridiculous if you don't let them run when the opportunity presents itself.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:14 PM   #4047
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I understand when we had Dirk, we'd wait up for Dirk to get down the court and Rick wanted us to run some halfcourt to prepare for the post-season, but it seemed like Rick told them to slow it down every single play. But we never sped it up after Dirk retired, and it's one thing to practice half-court in practice/during games. It's another thing to completely limit the offense by refusing to run.

When your superstar is a 6'8" PG who rebounds, drives and passes as well as he does, you're ridiculous if you don't let them run when the opportunity presents itself.
And this was just part of it. You could SEE players look uncomfortable in the system, and I believe it was the chasing of the almighty efficiency. I think the team broke the record in offensive efficiency a few seasons ago. But at what cost?

Like, I'm sure Rick was friendly when off the court, but man was he strict once the ball tipped. And that was really apparent with big men, and it became headline number one with KP. You can get away with that with Noel or WCS but not your 158 million dollar star. Still crazy to think that KP is traded had Rick stayed. You just can't waste talent like that over a stubborn coach.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #4048
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I will always hate Rondo for sitting down during the playoffs against the Spurs. I have supported every Mavericks coach since I bought my frst season ticket package in 1982. But now that Carlisle is gone, I can allow myself to wonder what would have happened if he had gotten Rondo to buy in, or compromised with him. That trade cost the Mavs Jae Crowder, 2 draft picks, and helped fuel the slide into mediocrity. All we have to show for it is Dwight Powell.

The Celts had 8 first round picks after that trade. They've been to the conference finals twice.

Last edited by G-Man; 10-12-2021 at 03:16 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 06:57 PM   #4049
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I feel like it's clear why Rick wanted to slow us down. He HATES turnovers. He didn't trust the team as a whole to push it up and make good decisions. On one hand it's fairly understandable when you go back to our roster a few to a handful of years back. DSJ and Luka being so young and the guys around them weren't really quick and agile in terms of fast break.

Rick leaving was a blessing as good as he once was. He wasn't ever likely to make drastic changes and we needed big changes in play style. We needed an atmosphere change just as much.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #4050
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I will always hate Rondo for sitting down during the playoffs against the Spurs. I have supported every Mavericks coach since I bought my frst season ticket package in 1982. But now that Carlisle is gone, I can allow myself to wonder what would have happened if he had gotten Rondo to buy in, or compromised with him. That trade cost the Mavs Jae Crowder, 2 draft picks, and helped fuel the slide into mediocrity. All we have to show for it is Dwight Powell.

The Celts had 8 first round picks after that trade. They've been to the conference finals twice.

I stopped playing the what-if game when Luka fell into our laps. This would be a very tough time to be a Mavs fan if we end up with Bagley or Mo Bamba that draft and we’re still wondering about Giannis in a Mavs jersey.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #4051
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by SMC0007; 10-13-2021 at 09:10 AM. Reason: .
Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #4052
SMC0007
Guru

Mavs play today. Anyone excited? We get more Luka and KP. But we all know the main attraction is Omoruyi!

Old 10-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #4053
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Man we are deep. It's going to be hard to come up with a 8-10 man rotation. My best guess:

Luka - Brunson
THJ - Ntlikina
DFS - Bullock
KP - Maxi
Powell - WCS

The rest (in order):

S. Brown
Green
Omoruyi
M. Brown
Terry
Old 10-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #4054
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Man we are deep. It's going to be hard to come up with a 8-10 man rotation. My best guess:

Luka - Brunson
THJ - Ntlikina
DFS - Bullock
KP - Maxi
Powell - WCS

The rest (in order):

S. Brown
Green
Omoruyi
M. Brown
Terry
Idk if Frankie would be ahead of Sterling. It's possible.

I'm not sure if Terry is even coming back to ever play as a Mav. They are very accommodating to him, well they were during his previous mental health absence. If they really needed him they might press for him to be around a bit more. Which shows me they know he isn't ready to ccontribute. He hasn't even shown what C. Jones has shown. If it were me, I'd have Jones in that 3rd pg role and just tell Terry to Holla when he feels like he's ready to go and we will see if there's a spot for him.

Last edited by SMC0007; 10-13-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #4055
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Idk if Frankie would be ahead of Sterling. It's possible.

I'm not sure if Terry is even coming back to ever play as a Mav. They are very accommodating to him, well they were during his previous mental health absence. If they really needed him they might press for him to be around a bit more. Which shows me they know he isn't ready to ccontribute. He hasn't even shown what C. Jones has shown. If it were me, I'd have Jones in that 3rd pg role and just tell Terry to Holla when he feels like he's ready to go and we will see if there's a spot for him.
Yeah S Brown instead of Frankie and that's probably right.

Again hope they set aside a few minutes/game to work Green in there. That will say a lot about whether or not there's a commitment to developing him and investing in him. give him 3-5 minutes/half running with Luka out there. 10 minutes/game of hustle, defense, and cutting.

Would also love to see M Brown out there a few minutes/game. Leave Boban as a change of pace, break glass in case of emergency player. Or break him out against Joker if you need a big game.

I do hope Terry is ok - in some sense if he's not ready to go this might be a way to stash him though not sure how the rules work in that regards. does he still take up a roster spot if he's on some unable to perform or team leave status?
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:41 PM   #4056
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
Yeah S Brown instead of Frankie and that's probably right.

Again hope they set aside a few minutes/game to work Green in there. That will say a lot about whether or not there's a commitment to developing him and investing in him. give him 3-5 minutes/half running with Luka out there. 10 minutes/game of hustle, defense, and cutting.

Would also love to see M Brown out there a few minutes/game. Leave Boban as a change of pace, break glass in case of emergency player. Or break him out against Joker if you need a big game.

I do hope Terry is ok - in some sense if he's not ready to go this might be a way to stash him though not sure how the rules work in that regards. does he still take up a roster spot if he's on some unable to perform or team leave status?
Frank is starting tonight and maybe he has been performing really well in practices. I don't put too much stock into the SLU in preseason. Frank looked good last game and I'd he keeps that up while improving his offense, he will be really hard to keep on the bench. He has elite defensive abilities. Brown is solid too yet he shoots better so it's all good in terms of them forcing their way into the rotation.

Side note, if TJH could have improved his handle and his defense along the way here in Dallas, he would have gotten a boat load more than he signed for this offseason.

Moses seems undeniable as a rotation member. Willie has played well, but not better than Moses IMO. There's gonna be some fun rotation competition going on

Old 10-16-2021, 12:03 AM   #4057
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

See you in G-league

Feron Hunt
Carlik Jones
Tyrell Terry
Old 10-16-2021, 12:33 AM   #4058
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I'm intrigued by the signings of Justin Jackson and E.J. Onu. I'm guessing it's just so that they'll join the Legends. Regardless, it's cool to have Justin Jackson back in Dallas. Maybe I'll see him at work again. He's one of a few Mavs to shop with me. Others? Shawn Marion and Charlie Villanueva.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #4059
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Jackson - decent kid. Has had some major NBA minutes.

Onu - Dude played in a terrible conference, but still put up 17pts, 8reb, 4.5blocks on 57% shooting and 40% on threes. He looked lost in summer league, but bigs take time.

I assume both guys will be heading to the G-league
Old 10-16-2021, 12:13 PM   #4060
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Jackson - decent kid. Has had some major NBA minutes so he's a vet by G-league standards. Maybe they're bringing him in to mentor Omoruyi and lead the G-league squad?

Onu - Dude played in a terrible conference, but still put up 17pts, 8reb, 4.5blocks on 57% shooting and 40% on threes. He looked lost in summer league, but bigs take time. Dude looks like a Jaren Jackson starter kit.

I assume both guys will be heading to the G-league

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-16-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #4061
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

2021-2022 Roster
1) Luka
2) KP
3) THJ
4) Bullock
5) S. Brown
6) Brunson
7) Finney-Smith
8) Kleber
9) Powell
10) Green
11) Cauley-Stein
12) Marjanovic
13) M. Brown
14) Ntilkina
15) Burke
=-=-=-
16) Omoruyi
17) McLaughlin

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 10-16-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #4062
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely more optimistic about Brunson this season. He looked great in the preseason, and once again because the shackles were off.

Hope not getting Dragic lit a fire in him to perform and be that backup PG to rest Luka.

Old 10-16-2021, 03:30 PM   #4063
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'm definitely more optimistic about Brunson this season. He looked great in the preseason, and once again because the shackles were off.

Hope not getting Dragic lit a fire in him to perform and be that backup PG to rest Luka.

Old 10-21-2021, 09:45 AM   #4064
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Someone start the GDT!
Old 10-21-2021, 10:35 AM   #4065
SMC0007
Guru

Gotta roll with EL on the GDT. A perfect preseason record.

Old 11-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #4066
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

In the opener

Carlic Jones 37pts, 5reb, 4ast in 34 min

Jackson with 25-12

Very Barea-esque line in the GLeague

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 11-06-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #4067
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

It would appear that Carlic's middle name is Bucket.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jack.kerr aucks