Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-19-2001, 04:05 PM   #1
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

This sucks...school starts back Tuesday. I was supposed to read the Scarlet Letter over the summer and I haven't even read the Cliff notes. Football practicse started Monday and it hasn't been too bad yet. But between practice not ending until 7 and homework I probably wont be posting too much until the weekends. I'm now an upperclassmen...11 grade. Woo-hoo! Anyone else start school soon?
Old 08-19-2001, 04:19 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say about The Scarlet Letter is don't rent the movie thinking it'll sum up the book [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The movie came out the same time I was assigned to read the book back in highschool. Stick with Cliff!

Hopefully I'll be registering for classes this week. I applied to UTD incredibly late so I'm not sure if I'll get in at this point. If I don't, I'll just take the classes at Richland. Can't believe I have to take undergrad classes for another 1.5-2yrs before I can get my med school apps in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 06:02 PM   #3
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

well im going to be a senior at good ol Lake Highlands high school...starting on tuesday.... we were supposed to read snow falling on cedars.. which i havent yet. FT, where do you go to school ??? starting this late are you in RISD?

(remember "lake highlands" soccer team: state champs... i'm calling it.)
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 07:43 PM   #4
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

Yeah...I started the Cliff Notes today. I heard that the movie's ending was WAY different than the book's.
Turbo...I go to school at Greenville High. (about 50 Miles NE of Dallas). We started like a week and a half later than everybody around us. But they'll get out earlier than us this year. We would have an awesome football team this year but we got a major prick for a new head coach.
Old 08-19-2001, 08:40 PM   #5
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

I'm going into my senior year at Richardson HS on Tuesday. Supposed to have read Brave New World. Have not read yet. Oh, and Turbo, when you guys' football team plays the Eagles on November 2, watch the halftime show and look out for that badass #1 bass drummer on the field- he's a Mavericks fan...
Old 08-19-2001, 09:04 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

What exactly is this "School" of which ya'll speak of? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2001, 09:25 PM   #7
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Oh that's right Rob, I guess you have to work for a living? Or do you get paid to be a moderator?
Old 08-19-2001, 09:54 PM   #8
Mavinator
Golden Member

That is to say- please don't ban me, Rob sir!
Old 08-19-2001, 10:44 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] , that's more like it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 01:24 AM   #10
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Wow, I've been gone a few months, and my how things change!
So DJ, what's this about med school?! This is the first I've read about it. Rock on! That was my plan for about 5+ years, so I'm happy for you. Hey, it'll take a few extra semesters, but it's worth the price you pay to realize your dream.
Old 08-20-2001, 10:21 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

start school next week
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 01:15 PM   #12
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

school? i love being out of school?. don't have to worry about jack on the weekends...
Old 08-20-2001, 01:39 PM   #13
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Where ya been smile_at_me? Nice to see you back [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I decided to go back to school while studying for my personal trainer cert a few weeks ago. It was kind of surprising to my friends and family because at the time I was getting ready to move to San Jose and start up a new media firm. I've spent the last few weeks researching fields I'd like to go into and also the different reqs at various med schools. I'm most interested in pursuing a doctorate in physical therapy (dpt), but won't rule out going for an md. Because I was a Communications Major back in college, I lack a number of math/science reqs for both med and dpt schools. So that's why I'm going to either UTD or Richland this fall. If all goes well, I should be finished with all this undergrad stuff in less than two years (fingers crossed!).
Old 08-21-2001, 12:09 AM   #14
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

DJ, I'm glad to see you aren't letting the extra 2 yrs or so stop you from investigating a life in medcine or PT. Both are great fields, especially when that's where your heart is. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you as far as med school aps go, etc. I'm not the expert, but I've spent a lot of time w/that stuff.
As for where I've been! I spent 6 wks in the wilderness in Minnesota - working in the health center at a church camp. It was super-incredible!! One of those "highlights of life" type things. A couple weeks ago, I started my job in San Diego (Financial Services). It's pretty cool. I stay super busy, but hope to stay up with what's going on w/your site here.
Old 08-21-2001, 12:29 PM   #15
djb
Administrator

Thanks for the offer smile_at_me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'll be needing all the help I can get! At this point, I'm most interested in pursuing the DPT degree but things may change during the next year and I may decide to go for the MD. The scary thing is I've never been good at math or science! To top things off, one of my good friends just decided to drop out of med school after his first year. I'm not sure of the reason but I hope it's not because he felt it was too hard! But I feel this is what I really want to do so I'm going to go for it. Both my parents are doctors so they're being pretty supportive. I think if I just push myself and bust my ass, I should be ok. I haven't really done any studying the last four years so these next few months should be interesting [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2001, 12:30 PM   #16
djb
Administrator

BTW, what field were you interested in going into?
Old 08-21-2001, 05:37 PM   #17
Mavinator
Golden Member

Old 08-22-2001, 01:14 AM   #18
Smiles
Diamond Member

Love the map Mavinator! When I was 18, I turned my parents guest room into a map room. This summer, I was an hour, or so, south of International Falls - on Pelican Lake.

DJ, regarding my specialization: Emergency medicine is probably my favorite. It seems the best field for someone wanting more family time (down the road), but I really like Endocrinology too. I thought about getting a masters in Endo the first time I didn't get into med school, but only stayed for a semester (went to VA Tech). Incredible school, but research is definitely not for me! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2001, 12:12 PM   #19
djb
Administrator

Yea I hear ya..research can be pretty damn boring [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I don't know too much about the different specializations, so if I do decide to forego the DPT and head to med school, I'll probably make a decision then. Internal medicine and orthopedics sound the most interesting right at this point. My dad's doing general practice now but he was an obstetrician/gynecologist for a long time. Definitely not a good profession to go into when you have a family! Plus I don't think I'd be able to get up at all hours of the night like he did just so he could go deliver some fifteen-year-old's baby (this is Hugo, OK we're talking about!).
Old 08-22-2001, 05:31 PM   #20
Mavinator
Golden Member

I get so bored sometimes.
Old 08-24-2001, 08:59 PM   #21
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Yeah...school's kickin' my butt already. Sooo much homework for just the first week. We have our first scrimage(sp) tomorrow in Frisco. Wish me luck.
Old 08-25-2001, 09:33 AM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

where do you go to school?
good luck against the coons
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2001, 05:22 PM   #23
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I go to school in Greenville. We killed the coons. I got my name in the paper for picking up a fumble, but I'm not used to carrying the ball so I dropped it after about 5 yards and then I just fell on it. We have another scrimage today against Louisville. But I don't get to play because I popped some kinda sack in my knee and it swelled up the size of my head. But Louisville sucks so they shouldn't have any trouble w/o me.