Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #1561
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
As much as I'd love for him to have signed here, it is interesting that we haven't missed him much yet, or Bass either.
I said it at the time we signed him to the offer sheet, and I'll say it again now: Gortat was much more about the future than this year. Gooden has more than made up for what we've missed by not having Gortat.

It will be the next few years after this (especially if Damp doesn't come back after he's traded) that Gortat might be missed.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 03:47 PM   #1562
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Yes, but 34Mio against Shaun Livingston...

And honestly, no one expected the Magic to match and pay so much for the guy behind Dwight.
There's always an injury risk when you sign a qualifying offer but young players do it every year. Not saying that he shouldn't have taken the money but I don't think anyone should feel sorry for him. Like dude said he sold his chance to control his destiny for security.

While most people didn't expect Orlando to pay him that much, at the start of the free agency period Otis Smith said flat out that he planned to match any offer to Gortat (granted he later backed off that statement). And as far as I know he never told Gortat that he wouldn't match. He signed the offer sheet knowing there was a chance he'd be back in Orlando and, at the time, seemed to be ok with that.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #1563
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I said it at the time we signed him to the offer sheet, and I'll say it again now: Gortat was much more about the future than this year. Gooden has more than made up for what we've missed by not having Gortat.

It will be the next few years after this (especially if Damp doesn't come back after he's traded) that Gortat might be missed.
excellent post.. I completely concur.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #1564
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
He could have chosen to not sign the Mavs' offer sheet and instead signed the Magic's qualifying offer. The next year he would have been an unrestricted free agent.

That would have taken an awful lot of foresight though. And it would have been a huge gamble.

I thought Dude was talking about something like Childress, but Childress is in fact still Hawk property.
No I was talking about doing what it took to get out from under Orlando...as you stated.

Sure it's a risk, but it's hard to feel too bad for a guy who isn't willing to take any risk but then fusses and gripes about the lack of mobility and leverage that he signed away for 5mill.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #1565
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
As much as I'd love for him to have signed here, it is interesting that we haven't missed him much yet, or Bass either. Dampier responded to fear of benching with is most inspired play yet as a Maverick. Gooden is a better backup than Bass, because he's a bigger defender with a more versatile offensive game. And he's about as consistent as Bass. For my money, both Humphries and Singleton are nearly Bass equals...better at everything except shooting.

Too bad for Gortat the Magic screwed with his career, and too bad for the Magic to have, so far, wasted all those millions to get 7 mediocre minutes a night. Couldn't happen to a more deserving GM, as every week Gortat fails to produce is a week his value drops...to below what they are paying him.

I could see Orlando as a perfect destination for the Dust Chip, because if Gortat keeps playing poorly, no one is gonna want that fat contract.
I believe I've missed him over Gooden. I've liked the energy Drew has given but I am not sold on his ability to be a physical center...

As for Bass...We have WAY exceeded what I thought he was bringing to us. Gooden, TimT, Hump all I like better than Bass to be honest. TimT might wind up being that backup center at the end of the day..not sure but right now it's what I'm thinking unless Drew does show a few more chops defensively.

But the magic get what they sowed...they played hardball with a guy who at the end of the day has THEM over a barrell now. If he stinks it up for 5 years, no skin off his teeth. If he takes the buyout, great he resigns somewhere else. They have spent a log o' dough for a guy who is not going to be happy backing up someone like that. It's why it's difficult (imo) to find young backups that are capable, they need,want and deserve playing time but cannot get it on really good teams. Some might, but most will not, they have to move on.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM   #1566
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

It was obvious, the Magic blew this one, I can see Bass, but Gortat? It would have been like the Mavs to Match Bass, why pay a guy 5 million to play 12 minutes a night. There were some vet minimum options out there, Joe Smith, Jason Collins. Otis shot himself in the foot.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #1567
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

So Fish mentioned today an idea that I've been kicking around myself...the Mavs trying to trade for Gortat in the offseason (after July 13th they can acquire him).

Here's what I'm hoping for: Orlando, by paying him a lot of money yet not playing him at all, renders him a none-too-desirable trade commodity; yet his disgruntlement, and the luxury tax, force Otis to look for a trade partner.

In steps Donnie Nelson and says, "Otis, you a-hole, let me help you out of this pickle you're in."

Matt Carroll and a S&T James Singleton at the vet minimum to Orlando for Gortat.

This trade isn't about talent; Carroll is nothing more than a trade chip, with his shrinking contract (and lack of basketball ability). Singleton? Love his hustle...but there's just no minutes for him on this team anymore.

So what does Orlando get out of it? Savings of $16MM over the next four seasons, double that if they remain in LT territory. The Mavs, of course, get a guy they still believe can be our Center of the future, for the price of some leftover scraps that we were just going to throw away anyway at some point.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #1568
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Wow this is even better, we unload Carroll's deal, then just signing Gortat outright. Thanks Otis.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #1569
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

I wasn't a big fan of the Gortat signing. But ...One crucial point to know about Gortat and a trade ...

Until that July 13 date, GORTAT can control the trade destination. While he can't be traded to Dallas until then under any circumstances, he also cannot be traded anywhere else without his consent until that time.

Given the fact that Dallas was the high bidder (which means that his contract might be considered to be an overpaid one by every other potential team), and that Dallas looked to Gortat to be the best choice for his NBA future when he had the opportunity to pick a place, it's logical that the Mavs still have a good shot at being his landing spot for the longterm.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #1570
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

I said that earlier in this thread, but I would really like the following scenario:

Sure, Smith had the right to match the offer and he did it. That's a fact. Nevertheless, I really, really hope that Gortat will f*** Smith up after the 90 day-clause. As we all know, they can't trade him for 90 days and afterwards they can only trade him if he approves the trade. Hopefully it ends up like this: "I will not approve any deal. You WILL therefore get stuck with the luxury tax this year because you matched. Have a nice day."

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #1571
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

How long does Gortat own this first right of refusal? Weren't Charlotte and Houston in the running, though not for the $$ we gave him.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #1572
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Man now I wish we got Gortat after seeing how bad Gooden has been.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #1573
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
Man now I wish we got Gortat after seeing how bad Gooden has been.
Haha I love the fact that everyone on here was cradling gooden's balls while jacking him off when he was a starter, and playing well. Everyone was down playing the fact that we didn't get Gortat, saying "Gooden is obsolete now". Now, just a couple short weeks later everyone is ready to crucify Gooden. This board is FAR too fickle.

A lot of y'all need to chill out and realize the season is longer than 25 games. There will be some ups and downs

Last edited by ReDirkulous Tyme; 12-15-2009 at 10:49 PM.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:26 PM   #1574
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still super pissed Gortat isn't in a Mavs uniform. I haven't gotten over it.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #1575
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Gooden did play a couple of superb games in the the absence of Damp.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #1576
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
Gooden did play a couple of superb games in the the absence of Damp.
He isn't going to be a starter unless Dampier goes down. He is worthless as a backup. The same thing could be said about Barea. Those 2 are only good as starters.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #1577
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstudi View Post
I said that earlier in this thread, but I would really like the following scenario:

Sure, Smith had the right to match the offer and he did it. That's a fact. Nevertheless, I really, really hope that Gortat will f*** Smith up after the 90 day-clause. As we all know, they can't trade him for 90 days and afterwards they can only trade him if he approves the trade. Hopefully it ends up like this: "I will not approve any deal. You WILL therefore get stuck with the luxury tax this year because you matched. Have a nice day."
Orlando Magic's owner is I believe is worth 2 and 1/2 times more than Mark Cuban, he didn't even care about going into the luxury tax and he told Otis Smith to do whatever would get the team a ring. Of course Bass and Gortat haven't been worth the money and we can take some pleasure in that. But the owner could care less about luxury taxes.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #1578
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I think what it really comes down to for the Magic is getting a championship. If they win it all then the extra money was worth it. If they don't then the signings were pretty bad considering all of the money involved.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #1579
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Orlando Magic's owner is I believe is worth 2 and 1/2 times more than Mark Cuban, he didn't even care about going into the luxury tax and he told Otis Smith to do whatever would get the team a ring. Of course Bass and Gortat haven't been worth the money and we can take some pleasure in that. But the owner could care less about luxury taxes.
I know that the Magic's owner isn't that poor, but those words by Gortat would still give me a nice smile...

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 12-16-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #1580
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
I think what it really comes down to for the Magic is getting a championship. If they win it all then the extra money was worth it. If they don't then the signings were pretty bad considering all of the money involved.
No offense but...isn't that true for every team in every sport?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #1581
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
No offense but...isn't that true for every team in every sport?
No offense taken. Many feel Otis has all but conceded making a mistake in signing Gortat and feel we'll be able to strike a deal with Orlando in the off-season based off of the assumption that they want to get out from under it. The reality however is their owner is more than willing to foot the bill and they could probably care less as to whether Gortat is happy with his role on the team. He's expensive insurance and that's about it. As long as they're winning I don't see them trying to trade out of his contract.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 12-16-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #1582
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Exactly right

Quote:
No offense taken. Many feel Otis has all but conceded making a mistake in signing Gortat and feel we'll be able to strike a deal with him in the off-season based off of the assumption that wants to get out from under it. The reality however is their owner is more than willing to foot the bill, and they could probably care less as to whether Gortat is happy with his role on the team. He's expensive insurance and that's about it. As long as they're winning I don't see them trying to trade out of his contract.
This is the harsh reality that I also think. Gortat would be a great fit here but I seriously doubt that they're gunna trade him unless its some kind of deal in which we massively overpay. We really do need a big man, especially if Damp leaves this summer. Hopefully we can get a good center, because it would be really nice to win a championship for Kidd. He deserves it, and so does Dirk and the rest of our team...
Old 12-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #1583
DLord

DLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud ofDLord has much to be proud of

I disagree completely on the assumptions being made about the Orlando owner. Doesn't matter how rich he is, he didn't create a fortune in hopes of seeing it frittered away.

UNTIL THIS SEASON they've been very averse to paying the tax, and I can't imagine him being very thrilled about being convinced of the necessity of going into tax territory and then seeing the massive money that's been wasted on players who rarely play, Gortat and Bass.

If the situation changes where one or both are needed and used extensively later in the season, then he'll be mollified ...but otherwise, I see no way Gortat and his remaining $29M deal aren't HEAVILY shopped in the summer to any taker, and probably Bass as well. Idly tossing $20M in the trash each year (10 for salary, 10 for tax) just to have Gortat and Bass sitting on your bench is not going to be desirable or tolerated imo.
DLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:54 AM   #1584
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

F Otis Smith.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #1585
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord View Post
I disagree completely on the assumptions being made about the Orlando owner. Doesn't matter how rich he is, he didn't create a fortune in hopes of seeing it frittered away.

UNTIL THIS SEASON they've been very averse to paying the tax, and I can't imagine him being very thrilled about being convinced of the necessity of going into tax territory and then seeing the massive money that's been wasted on players who rarely play, Gortat and Bass.

If the situation changes where one or both are needed and used extensively later in the season, then he'll be mollified ...but otherwise, I see no way Gortat and his remaining $29M deal aren't HEAVILY shopped in the summer to any taker, and probably Bass as well. Idly tossing $20M in the trash each year (10 for salary, 10 for tax) just to have Gortat and Bass sitting on your bench is not going to be desirable or tolerated imo.
Before this season they also didn't have a legitimate chance at winning it all. They are now the deepest and possibly best team in the East. They were a solid team last year but not many people outside the organization expected them to overachieve like they did.

I think once they decided to make their move for Vince Carter their focus shifted towards going all in and decided going into luxury tax territory was finally worth it. Gortat is expensive insurance to keep them competitive should Howard go down. As long as they're winning and especially if they win the championship I don't see them auctioning off that insurance to the highest bidder. If they happen to struggle in the playoffs, though, then that could certainly change their perspective but I think Bass would be shipped out before Gortat, especially with how Ryan Anderson has been performing for them.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #1586
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessece09 View Post
Being that Philly is a couple of hours, if that, from where I live, and I grew up not only going to Flyers games, but every other Philadelphia team, I naturally gravitated to the Flyers and the rest of Philadelphias teams
Rock on............
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #1587
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessece09 View Post
Being that Philly is a couple of hours, if that, from where I live, and I grew up not only going to Flyers games, but every other Philadelphia team, I naturally gravitated to the Flyers and the rest of Philadelphias teams
4 posts, 0 contributions.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #1588
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Before this season they also didn't have a legitimate chance at winning it all. They are now the deepest and possibly best team in the East. They were a solid team last year but not many people outside the organization expected them to overachieve like they did.

I think once they decided to make their move for Vince Carter their focus shifted towards going all in and decided going into luxury tax territory was finally worth it. Gortat is expensive insurance to keep them competitive should Howard go down. As long as they're winning and especially if they win the championship I don't see them auctioning off that insurance to the highest bidder. If they happen to struggle in the playoffs, though, then that could certainly change their perspective but I think Bass would be shipped out before Gortat, especially with how Ryan Anderson has been performing for them.
Define Howard "going down". Orlando is not going to be a competitive team if Howard goes down for any appreciable amount of time. That team is built around the dude, which is why Gortat deal again doesn't make sense. Gortat isn't good enough to replace what Howard gives them, especially if Howard ever goes down for an extended stretch. And if Howard were to go down in the playoffs, they can just kiss their chances good bye. The only way Gortat provides insurance in the Howard injury scenario is if it were for a small stretch. And in that case, you are paying an awful lot of money for a minimal amount of insurance.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #1589
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

If for any reason Howard went down for let's say a couple games, Orlando is much better equipped to weather the storm with Gortat on board than not. That extra bit of talent could be the difference in a close playoff game or two to keep them in a series. Having another seven footer around isn't a bad thing and if anything they'd probably address the log jam at the 4 spot before shipping out Gortat.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #1590
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Btw Gooden's +/- is -21.5. Imagine if Gortat was getting those minutes instead how good we would be.

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?