Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-31-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future
Default Roster for this year

Given these ...
- We have no first round draft pick.
- This really is a pretty weak free agent class outside of a few players.
- Players WILL be overpaid ... teams will be forced to overpay in order to reach the min salary requirement.
- We had key people injured/not healthy most of the seasons (Matthews and Parsons mainly)
- We are not going full rebuild mainly because we don't have anything to start with
- We've made our bed with our commitment to Dirk, might as well lay in it

What does next year's roster look like? Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind bringing most of this team back next year with a key addition of Dwight Howard and yes we will overpay him.

- He gives us a solid center that still defends well and rebounds well.
- He can score 15 ppg without Houston's ballhogs
- His deep post up game should fit well with our 3 point heavy lineup
- Previously had good relationship with Parsons
- Gives us a competitve team for Dirk to finish out his year(s)

I truly have no idea what kind of offer Zaza is going to get, but a DH+Zaza gives us a very solid center for the entire game. Keep Mejri and Lee for backup and going small.

C: Howard / Zaza / Mejri
PF: Dirk / Lee / Powell
SF: Parson / Anderson / Evans
SG: Matthews / Harris
PG: DWill / JJB
- 2 spots left
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Co-sign with bringing everyone back, +Howard.

/takes a dozen shots of 190-proof everclear

I'm looking forward to next seaso- /pukes

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

After Dwight didnt choose us in 2013 (costing us Giannis) and after him dumping Fegan, we wont go after him. he is going to demand a max contract and hell no to that.

Horford
Whiteside
Batum
Conley

Thats the four guys the Mavs would throw a max offer after. Not Dwight.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #4
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Choosing not to purse a FA because he didn't choose your franchise earlier is stupid. You at least make a pitch to the best possible upgrades. I guarantee you Cuban will at least contact Kevin Durant and say, "Count us in for the max contract bucket". All of your guys will probably get a max contract (Batum maybe not) while Conley is the only one deserving it and I'm betting he stays in Memphis.

IMO Dwight actually fits the best with this team assuming CP and DWill remain. Plus, Wes may benefit from having a solid post up player like he had in Portland with Aldridge. Dirk can become a true stretch four on those post ups. He's almost guaranteed to leave Houston and he did seriously consider us last time.

Until we get our drafting in order which will take a few years, give DH the money and ride the Dirk+DH+CP train. At the end, if they suck then we end up with good picks.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I actually think Rick's system along with Dirk and Parsons would revitalize Howard's career and he'd be a great fit.
But personally I'd rather go more of a semi-rebuild route and sign Whiteside. Whiteside, Powell, Parsons and Anderson could become a nice young core to start rebuilding around.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-31-2016 at 09:39 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Give me a 5 who can defend the paint plus screen and roll. This offense just does not work as well without that Wright/TC athletic big who can roll and finish. Powell can roll but isn't the finisher the others were and isn't the rim protector(because he's a 4) that TC was.

Have to lose some of these guards who pound the ball into the floor through the 4th quarter. If they retain Parsons we can't keep sending him to the corner with wes. That's 2 max contracts who stand in the corner/out on the wing almost the entire 4th q. Meanwhile 3 guards take turns pounding the ball into the floor.

Would like a real 6th man instead of relying on guys like JJ/Felton as make shift 6th's.

Need a cheap stretch 4 incase Powell does not develop a consistent jumper in the off season. Because CV3 is not a NBA player anymore.

We all need to take shots with UD regardless of what we add to the roster.

That's my wishlist. Someone tell me how we get all of that and fit it under the cap.

Ps. I hate the moratorium.
Pps. Srsly hate it.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #7
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

What a different reality we would (most likely) be in if it wasn't for that damn moratorium. But good news guys, they shortened it. :/

As for next year..

- His personality is great, but I would prefer not to have Charlie V on this team anymore. His time would be better spent on Powell, Lee, Evans, Dirk.

- Even if we continue to roll the dice in free agency on someone like Howard to try to "compete" another year while Dirk is here.. I want to see the young guys get more time. This team desperately needs the athleticism of Andersen, Powell, and Evans. I'm one that believes (though obviously from the outside looking in) that Evans has a ton more potential, he just needs to be given more time and gain some confidence in his game.

- I prefer to keep JJB around, because I think he has earned his way to being a Mav for the rest of his career and I just like watching the guy come up big in the clutch. I often feel similarly regarding Harris. But, at least one of JJB, Harris, and Felton has to go. Over the course of the season, JJB and Harris have improved, while Felton only has his moments. I'd lean towards finding a way to trade Felton while his stock is high(er than before), or waive if necessary.

- The team needs to improve in so many areas, but I think the team especially needs a new 6th man wing. Someone with an aggressive offensive approach like Monta/JJB, but can defend and shoot. But, I don't have a clue as to who this would be, and I guess any team would want this.

- It would be great to get either Howard or Whiteside here. Whiteside would be my first choice as he can produce now and long into the future, but Howard could do really well here and help close out the Dirk era strong I believe. Our Centers have all shown how they can be productive in their own ways, but the team needs an athletic big that can consistently roll to the basket and finish, rebound and defend the rim.

- But most likely the Mavs only do one or none of these things, which won't be enough. We'll be plagued with inconsistency and dramatic comeback wins or losses again. But, such is life as a Mavs fan. Just we've came out on bottom more times than not this past season, and there will be little reason to believe that things will be much different.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #8
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Given these ...
- We have no first round draft pick.
- This really is a pretty weak free agent class outside of a few players.
- Players WILL be overpaid ... teams will be forced to overpay in order to reach the min salary requirement.
- We had key people injured/not healthy most of the seasons (Matthews and Parsons mainly)
- We are not going full rebuild mainly because we don't have anything to start with
- We've made our bed with our commitment to Dirk, might as well lay in it

What does next year's roster look like? Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind bringing most of this team back next year with a key addition of Dwight Howard and yes we will overpay him.

- He gives us a solid center that still defends well and rebounds well.
- He can score 15 ppg without Houston's ballhogs
- His deep post up game should fit well with our 3 point heavy lineup
- Previously had good relationship with Parsons
- Gives us a competitve team for Dirk to finish out his year(s)

I truly have no idea what kind of offer Zaza is going to get, but a DH+Zaza gives us a very solid center for the entire game. Keep Mejri and Lee for backup and going small.

C: Howard / Zaza / Mejri
PF: Dirk / Lee / Powell
SF: Parson / Anderson / Evans
SG: Matthews / Harris
PG: DWill / JJB
- 2 spots left
The FO has already said they have no interest in getting Howard to Dallas.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Would really like the Mavs to target 1 or 2 guys and bring everyone else back

DWill/Barea
Matthews/Harris
Parsons/Simba
Dirk/Lee/Powell
Zaza/Mejri

Target Batum! Maybe a center if the price is right.
I dont think Lee stays however. Think hell look for a contender

My big question is what do we do about Felton? I like him and he has been extremely clutch in some games. He gets to the rim too. Have a feeling there wont be room for him
Old 04-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #10
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Where does Batum fit if Parsons is back? I think you would be committing too much money to 3 wing players.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I could be wrong but I think they actually said they have no interest in offering him a max deal which probably means the same thing.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Where does Batum fit if Parsons is back? I think you would be committing too much money to 3 wing players.
TMac actually made some comments about bringing in Batum or Harrison Barnes along with resigning Parsons.
Move Parsons to the 4 and bring Dirk off the bench. Thought it sounded stupid at first but as TMac put it, if the Mavs go small they might as well get bigger (if that makes any sense). In other words it would be better to play Parsons, Batum, Matthews, DWill as a "small" unit than throw 3 PGs out there with Dirk or Parsons (or even Matthews).

In Rick's system that might actually make sense because Dirk could play with 2nd unit and have some of the load taken off his back but still play in clutch situations.

Personally I think Anderson could fill that role next season though and our money would be better spent on an athletic shotblocker/rebounder.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
MavzMan
Golden Member

I just really hate the idea of Parsons at the four because we give up soooo much rebounding. Whiteside would help tremendously I agree, but I get the feeling he will stay in Miami.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I just really hate the idea of Parsons at the four because we give up soooo much rebounding. Whiteside would help tremendously I agree, but I get the feeling he will stay in Miami.
I'm not crazy about Parsons at PF either but we know Rick will play him there. If he does then I'd rather have someone like Batum or Barnes at SF than Matthews.

If we did sign Barnes or Batum Rick would be forced to play bigger lineups.
Dirk, Parsons, Barnes or Batum, Matthews and Anderson would be a nice sized rotation at 2-4 at all times and hopefully the 3 PG lineups would never happen.

Zaza/Powell/Mejri could hold down the center spot.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:12 PM   #15
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I could be wrong but I think they actually said they have no interest in offering him a max deal which probably means the same thing.
@JohnnyNBA: "Dwights people reached out to Dallas to see if they would be interested in a max deal this summer. Dallas said no."- I believe this was back in February.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #16
Melonhead
Guru

Last edited by Melonhead; 04-01-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:15 PM   #17
Melonhead
Guru

More I think about it I just don't see a way batum or barnes. They would have to come off the bench. Dirk is not going to the bench to end his career and they're not going to accept not being a starter. Dirk would have to be at the 5.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
More I think about it I just don't see a way batum or barnes. They would have to come off the bench. Dirk is not going to the bench to end his career and they're not going to accept not being a starter. Dirk would have to be at the 5.
I doubt starting games is a big deal to Dirk at this stage if it means bringing in younger talent but closing games is a different story. He'd almost have to play the 5 closing games and that could be a huge problem in terms of getting stops down the stretch.

But Dirk does crank it up a few notches in crunch time and with fresh legs it might actually work.

I just hope our best signing in the off-season isn't one of Zaza, DWill, Parsons or Powell.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #19
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
Right. It wont help Donnie much trying to chase that guy.

Last edited by yahyes; 04-02-2016 at 05:32 PM.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:36 PM   #20
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs are going to have to figure out how to start Anderson next season without starting Dirk at center. The kid just doesn't have the make up to come off the bench, and his defense is desperately needed in the starting lineup.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:15 PM   #21
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Mavs are going to have to figure out how to start Anderson next season without starting Dirk at center. The kid just doesn't have the make up to come off the bench, and his defense is desperately needed in the starting lineup.
Only 2 ways that we can start anderson with Dirk not playing the 5(imo). Dirk coming off the bench or not resigning parsons. Cuz I highly doubt we will max parsons and have him come off the bench.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #22
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Only 2 ways that we can start anderson with Dirk not playing the 5(imo). Dirk coming off the bench or not resigning parsons. Cuz I highly doubt we will max parsons and have him come off the bench.
What about bringing Matthews off the bench?

No matter what we simply need to inject some youth and athleticism into our starting lineup.
Just sign Whiteside and let's semi-rebuild this thing around Parsons/Whiteside/Anderson/Powell/Matthews/Mejri.
Not a bad direction to go considering we'd have Dirk, JJ, Devin and possibly DWill as vets to go with them.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 PM   #23
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
What about bringing Matthews off the bench?

No matter what we simply need to inject some youth and athleticism into our starting lineup.
Just sign Whiteside and let's semi-rebuild this thing around Parsons/Whiteside/Anderson/Powell/Matthews/Mejri.
Not a bad direction to go considering we'd have Dirk, JJ, Devin and possibly DWill as vets to go with them.
If he's our best perimeter defender I don't see him coming off the bench. He would need to be in to start to guard the opposing teams best player in theory.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 PM   #24
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
If he's our best perimeter defender I don't see him coming off the bench. He would need to be in to start to guard the opposing teams best player in theory.
I don't disagree but some how some way we have to get more athletic in our starting lineup.
Zaza/Dirk/Parsons/Matthews/DWill has to be the least athletic starting unit in the league. Anderson has brought a spark to that situation but I agree with one of your earlier comments that Cuban won't give Parsons a max deal and then RC make him come off the bench.

Is it possible that Anderson gives Cuban some leverage when negotiating with Parsons' agent if Parsons decides to opt out?

Barea is making the same case for DWill.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #25
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't disagree but some how some way we have to get more athletic in our starting lineup.
Zaza/Dirk/Parsons/Matthews/DWill has to be the least athletic starting unit in the league. Anderson has brought a spark to that situation but I agree with one of your earlier comments that Cuban won't give Parsons a max deal and then RC make him come off the bench.

Is it possible that Anderson gives Cuban some leverage when negotiating with Parsons' agent if Parsons decides to opt out?

Barea is making the same case for DWill.
Yeah I personally think we need to get more athletic also I just don't think Wes off the bench is going to do that. Whatever athleticism we get we would lose the qualities that we hope wes brings when fully healthy. I think if we had an athletic roll man and rim protector at the 5 it would alleviate a lot of problems. I think we can get away with having JA come off the bench when Dirk sits and play Wes JA and Parsons at the 2-4. He can still get a good 20-25mins coming off the bench and give us some good athleticism IMO. As for JJ I think he's making a real case to actually start and have Dwill come off the bench while we have no Parsons. If we had Parsons I'd prolly say JJ should still come off the bench but with the roster as it is now we need JJ's aggressiveness. Dwill seems to coast till crunch time most nights anyway so having him off the bench might bring his aggressiveness out more IDK. It's not like there are a ton of pg options this free agency to give us pause to consider upgrades. Next year a Dwill Wes CP Dirk Roll5 and then first sub of Dirk out and have Parsons slide over and JA in would help alleviate the rebounding issues of having Parsons at the 4 since JA is such a good rebounder for his position. Plus Parsons at the 4 + roll5 pnr in today's nba seems to be pretty deadly. Sprinkle JA and Wes and dwill on the perimeter and I think it's a nice mix overall and prolly the best we can rly hope for. IDk if JA gives us leverage but it allows us maybe to not be held hostage if we have the opportunity to go in another direction that may fit better, Idk what that direction is but maybe it allows us to keep our options open.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #26
MavzMan
Golden Member

For sake of argument, lets assume we don't get DH or Whiteside and we bring back Parsons. Then PF, SF, and SG are pretty much locked in. Then we spend our money on PG.

Who's available? Conley will be staying in Memphis as it's his team. I like DWill but I'd rather have a different starter. What about Jordan Clarkson? Is he up and coming or just an average player on a bad team?

Edit: I did forget about Horford. But I was trying to come up with PG possibilities.

Last edited by MavzMan; 04-05-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #27
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Jordan Clarkson would be a good gamble. He has big upside.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #28
Cerberus

Cerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to beholdCerberus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
For sake of argument, lets assume we don't get DH or Whiteside and we bring back Parsons. Then PF, SF, and SG are pretty much locked in. Then we spend our money on PG.

Who's available? Conley will be staying in Memphis as it's his team. I like DWill but I'd rather have a different starter. What about Jordan Clarkson? Is he up and coming or just an average player on a bad team?

Edit: I did forget about Horford. But I was trying to come up with PG possibilities.
Achilles tendinitis. Hasn't played in a month and out for rest of season.

I know its not the same as Wes', but a bit of a concern you have to think.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #29
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I've advocated for pursuing Dwight this summer since we missed out on him three years ago... sounds like Chandler Parsons is on board:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...g-opt-decision

Quote:
ESPN.com: Dwight is also expected to hit the market this summer after opting out of his contract. Do you anticipate that there will be discussions between you two about hooking back up, whether that's in Dallas or somewhere else?

Parsons: Yeah. We have ongoing talks and text messages still to this day. He's one of my good friends. It's cool that we could have the opportunity to go into free agency this summer together.

I've expressed how I think he can be one of the dominant players in this league. I think he still has a lot left in the tank. He gets criticized a lot for whatever reason, but I still think he can be one of the best big men in the league and a game-changer. He's not that old [Howard is 30]. He still has a lot left in the tank.

It'll be interesting to see where his head is going into free agency. Obviously, right now is not the time to be talking about that with five games left and both of our teams in position to try to make a run here, make the playoffs and then hopefully advance. When the time comes this summer, we'll definitely be spending some time together and talking.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #30
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

If we went after DeAndre Jordan last summer, then why wouldn't we go after Dwight Howard this summer? He'd play the exact same role in Carlisle's system, except there's more proof than potential... I mean, no reason to think Howard's career couldn't rebound in Dallas -- his minutes would be better-managed, plus RC would allow him to be more of a focal point on offense (no James Harden clogging up the lane with his flopping).

Just gotta lock him in a gym with Holger for a summer so he can work on his free throws...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-06-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #31
Melonhead
Guru

Really dont want to go down this superstar route with dwight.

No matter what we think about Dallas, and it works for a lot of vets, but dwight can not and will not change. He is what he is. Hes there to have fun. And drama always surrounds him. It will not magically go away in Dallas, just like Monta's ongoing issues eventually surfaced in Dallas.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #32
Underdog

Quote:
Really dont want to go down this superstar route with dwight.

No matter what we think about Dallas, and it works for a lot of vets, but dwight can not and will not change. He is what he is. Hes there to have fun. And drama always surrounds him. It will not magically go away in Dallas, just like Monta's ongoing issues eventually surfaced in Dallas.
I'd love to see your list of better options for this offseason...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-06-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #33
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, I'm so on the fence with Howard. He offers us a need but has serious baggage. He is hurt a lot, has lots of ego drama, and imo his best days are behind him.

I actually see Orlando going for both Parsons and Howard which wouldn't surprise me if they got both.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #34
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Howard should flourish in RC's system. My only concern with him though would be his health. Howard would be Tyson Chandler on steroids if healthy and would be an excellent fit next to Parsons and Dirk as the Mavs play a similar style as the Magic played when he was there.

Plus, seems he is somewhat achievable this time and that is the type of move this desperate team needs to make. Personally I'd rather take a chance on Whiteside and rebuild this thing around Parsons/Whiteside/Anderson/Powell but Howard would be better short-term to close out Dirk's career.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-06-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #35
BPo001
Diamond Member

Sources says the Mavericks’ interest in Dwight Howard as a free agent this summer will be dependent on the price. The Mavs do not intend to be in on the bidding for Howard if it’s in the neighborhood of a max contract, which would have a starting salary of more than $30 million. The Mavs made Howard their primary target and offered a max contract in 2013, when the center signed with the Rockets. However, concerns about the 30-year-old Howard’s durability and desire have caused the Mavs to decide that he isn’t worth a nine-figure investment over four years at this point.
– via ESPN.com
Old 04-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #36
BPo001
Diamond Member

Tim MacMahon: Justin Anderson: Darrell Armstrong “keeps telling me I’m not a starter yet. I’m just starting.” Message: Stay hungry.
– via Twitter espn_macmahon
Old 04-06-2016, 05:17 PM   #37
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Sources says the Mavericks’ interest in Dwight Howard as a free agent this summer will be dependent on the price. The Mavs do not intend to be in on the bidding for Howard if it’s in the neighborhood of a max contract, which would have a starting salary of more than $30 million. The Mavs made Howard their primary target and offered a max contract in 2013, when the center signed with the Rockets. However, concerns about the 30-year-old Howard’s durability and desire have caused the Mavs to decide that he isn’t worth a nine-figure investment over four years at this point.
– via ESPN.com
That's the smart approach.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #38
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Say no to Howard, and I wouldn't max out Parsons either. Let him walk, and let's sign some younger, more athletic guys. Then again, if Carlisle's the coach moving forward it's not going to matter much. He's not the guy to bring in and develop young talent. In the end, the Mavs will be stuck fighting for a 7-8 seed for the next 3 years, and when Dirk retires, Cuban and Carlisle will part ways finally. Just a guess, but that's my gut feeling.

As far as bigs go, I'd break the bank for Cousins. Then again, I'd also like to win the lottery. lol

Last edited by turin; 04-06-2016 at 07:07 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Say no to Howard, and I wouldn't max out Parsons either. Let him walk, and let's sign some younger, more athletic guys.
Who are these "younger, more athletic guys" you speak of? I mean, have you even looked at the FA list? It's mostly veterans looking for a big payday when the cap spikes... Also, isn't literally every team in the league looking to get "younger and more athletic"? Those words ring hollow if the talent isn't there (not to mention high BBIQ and the right attitude...)

What it sounds like is that you're ready to punt the rest of Dirk's career so we can start rebuilding... And I can understand that, as a fan, but I seriously doubt that's what the face of the franchise had in mind when he took a giant paycut.

Old 04-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #40
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Who are these "younger, more athletic guys" you speak of? I mean, have you even looked at the FA list? It's mostly veterans looking for a big payday when the cap spikes... Also, isn't literally every team in the league looking to get "younger and more athletic"? Those words ring hollow if the talent isn't there (not to mention high BBIQ and the right attitude...)

What it sounds like is that you're ready to punt the rest of Dirk's career so we can start rebuilding... And I can understand that, as a fan, but I seriously doubt that's what the face of the franchise had in mind when he took a giant paycut.
In middle of watching game. I don't have free agent list in front of me, but please, it would be hard to find somebody to sign who's older than CV. I'm not saying turn the entire roster over, but let Parsons and CV walk. Parsons is not worth a max deal, and I find the "recruiter" argument laughable. I'd prefer to play Justin Anderson instead to add some more athleticism and defense to go with Dirk. I really don't mind our centers. I'd still like to see McGee get some minutes now that he's healthy, but that's unlikely. Mavs could turn over 4 spots and still be a playoff team shooting for 5-8 seed and roll into 2017 with draft picks and possibly better free agent options. I'm not against sitting back and letting everybody else blow out the new salary cap next year, especially considering the caliber of free agents likely to sign with Dallas.

Last edited by turin; 04-06-2016 at 09:50 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote