Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #41
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
In middle of watching game. I don't have free agent list in front of me, but please, it would be hard to find somebody to sign who's older than CV. I'm not saying turn the entire roster over, but let Parsons and CV walk. Parsons is not worth a max deal, and I find the "recruiter" argument laughable. I'd prefer to play Justin Anderson instead to add some more athleticism and defense to go with Dirk. I really don't mind our centers. I'd still like to see McGee get some minutes now that he's healthy, but that's unlikely. Mavs could turn over 4 spots and still be a playoff team shooting for 5-8 seed and roll into 2017 with draft picks and possibly better free agent options. I'm not against sitting back and letting everybody else blow out the new salary cap next year, especially considering the caliber of free agents likely to sign with Dallas.
You make some excellent points in a vacuum, but check out the FA list and get back to me... I mean, I'm definitely not going to argue with you about CV, but if you cross your requirements of "young + athletic" with my requirements of "talented + high BBIQ + right attitude" and factor in likelihood of landing said player, then Candler Parsons rates damn near at the top of the list.

If he can bring Howard here, then I can't really think of a better scenario for this offseason... I mean, we still have Anderson under contract through 2019, and I'd love to see what something like ??/Wes/Simba/Pasrons/Howard looks like while Dirk catches his breath. McGee is out, but I could see Mejri possibly edging out Zaza for a backup spot to Howard, based on price vs potential. Just depends on how he finishes out the season/playoffs.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 AM   #42
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah if you let Parsons walk and start Anderson where are you going to get offense? We can't expect JJ to put up 27 a night as a season average. This slow pace grind it out style is hard on a 37 year old Dirk to find good looks according to RC. We are winning games by holding teams under 90. And they aren't exactly the top of the west teams. We desperately need some offense so if you don't resign Parsons where are you getting offense from free agency? Because the popular names of Deng and Batum are not going to give what Parsons does. And based off what I read a month ago Batum was going to get a big pay day as well, despite being less versatile and not as good offensively as Parsons. I'm open to options but we aren't going to get a RFA like Barnes with the cap shooting up. And in today's nba who in free agency has Parsons versatility? I just don't see a lot of options that look better.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:27 AM   #43
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post

What does next year's roster look like? Call me crazy, but I wouldn't mind bringing most of this team back next year with a key addition of Dwight Howard and yes we will overpay him.

- He gives us a solid center that still defends well and rebounds well.
- He can score 15 ppg without Houston's ballhogs
- His deep post up game should fit well with our 3 point heavy lineup
- Previously had good relationship with Parsons
- Gives us a competitve team for Dirk to finish out his year(s)
Define 'overpay'. Because the article I saw talking about this indicated Howard wanted another max contract, so that would be like $30M a year and more. And he ain't even close to worth that (and I like Howard).

I think they will wait and see if some other team overpays for him, and if not, then they will see about getting him. The Mavs are a good fit for him, but not at that initial price. Not even close.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #44
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Yes, Howard's max is like $31 million and Parsons' max is $22.5 million I believe. What if we gave Parson max, got Howard at $28, kept Lee and Mejri at 4?

Parsons 22,500,000
Matthews 17,145,838
Dirk 8,692,184
Dwill 5,621,026
JJB 4,096,950
Harris 4,227,996
Anderson 1,514,160
Evans 1,315,448
Powell 1,180,431
Howard 28,000,000
Lee 4,000,000
Mejri 4,000,000
Total 102,294,033

I know I'm reaching. This is more of a "is this realistic" at this point.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:31 PM   #45
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You make some excellent points in a vacuum, but check out the FA list and get back to me... I mean, I'm definitely not going to argue with you about CV, but if you cross your requirements of "young + athletic" with my requirements of "talented + high BBIQ + right attitude" and factor in likelihood of landing said player, then Candler Parsons rates damn near at the top of the list.

If he can bring Howard here, then I can't really think of a better scenario for this offseason... I mean, we still have Anderson under contract through 2019, and I'd love to see what something like ??/Wes/Simba/Pasrons/Howard looks like while Dirk catches his breath. McGee is out, but I could see Mejri possibly edging out Zaza for a backup spot to Howard, based on price vs potential. Just depends on how he finishes out the season/playoffs.
Okay, I'm not going to argue with you because I get your point, and for the most part I agree with it; however, I should have been a bit clearer, I meant YOUNGER. Yeah, young guys, very athletic with potential really aren't out there and everybody wants them. Well, except for the Mavs... err, Aminu, Crowder... Yeah, we'd have had to give up an older veteran to keep them, but then the team would be younger. Everybody has negatives, even high first round draft choices. When you've still got a guy like CV on the roster, what's the risk of going with a younger guy for the sake of getting younger?

In the end, we're splitting hairs. The Mavs' poor draft history, coupled with their historical carelessness with draft picks and the inability to land a franchise free agent will have them stuck in the middle until Dirk retires. Maybe that's why I'm aggravated at Carlisle for not playing McGee more. He's healthier than he's been in years and shows flashes, so what the hell is there to lose if he plays more? First round exit? That's pretty much a given, but if they can catch lightening in a bottle with a couple of guys (Anderson and Mejri fit that bill imo) then they could surprise. JJB stepping up and Wes's improved play are very encouraging. Lee is a nice pickup. Still, there is a need for more shot blocker minutes. That's why I think McGee, though a longshot to make a big splash, is still the best risk to take as far as finding a little bit more magic on the existing roster.

Last edited by turin; 04-07-2016 at 06:32 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Yes, Howard's max is like $31 million and Parsons' max is $22.5 million I believe. What if we gave Parson max, got Howard at $28, kept Lee and Mejri at 4?

Parsons 22,500,000
Matthews 17,145,838
Dirk 8,692,184
Dwill 5,621,026
JJB 4,096,950
Harris 4,227,996
Anderson 1,514,160
Evans 1,315,448
Powell 1,180,431
Howard 28,000,000
Lee 4,000,000
Mejri 4,000,000
Total 102,294,033

I know I'm reaching. This is more of a "is this realistic" at this point.
Mejri isn't a free agent. Mavs have a team option on him for 800k next season and 1 mil the season after thank god.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #47
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Define 'overpay'. Because the article I saw talking about this indicated Howard wanted another max contract, so that would be like $30M a year and more. And he ain't even close to worth that (and I like Howard).

I think they will wait and see if some other team overpays for him, and if not, then they will see about getting him. The Mavs are a good fit for him, but not at that initial price. Not even close.
Bringing Howard to play for RC may be creating another Rondo situation. RC would probably be permanently pissed with him by December the first.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #48
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Bringing Howard to play for RC may be creating another Rondo situation. RC would probably be permanently pissed with him by December the first.
Rondo never wanted to be traded to Dallas, whereas Howard would be making the Mavs his top choice if he signed here this offseason... Their situations are totally different.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-07-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:04 PM   #49
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Howard was happy going to LA too. He's kind of a wierd dude. Howard plus RC ??
Old 04-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #50
Underdog

Quote:
Howard was happy going to LA too. He's kind of a wierd dude. Howard plus RC ??
Well it's not like Howard imploded the Lakers or something... I definitely agree that he mismanaged his career by going to LA and Houston, but Kobe and Harden were bigger coach-killers in those situations.

Plus, it's not like he doesn't know all about Rick Carlisle. If DH chose to come to Dallas, you'd have to assume it's with the intention of buying into Rick's system. Coach is going to be at the center of any sales pitch, so they're either going to get on the same page or Dwight isn't coming here. That's entirely up to him, but it's not something I see as being a problem if he commits (unlike Rondo, who was never given the choice).

Old 04-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #51
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

If we sign Howard and resign Parsons I'm perfectly happy with JJ as our starting PG.
If all are healthy, JJ/Matthews/Parsons/Dirk/Howard with JA/Devin/Powell/Mejri/Lee? coming off the bench could become a serious contender.
I'm all for bringing back DWill OR Felton but not both and not until the others are signed.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-07-2016 at 08:43 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #52
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
Howard isnt happening
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #53
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

I don't really see an issue with Howard (again assuming at the right price). Mavs need him for defense and rebounding...things Howard does well. He hasn't reallly been the problem in Houston, he just hasn't been the solution either. Howard plays hard, but isn't a good team leader. Mavs have plenty of people to fill that role. Houston does not. I don't think anyone would expect Howard to be something he's not, especially not RC. I think Howard would be a good fit here. The question is whether or not Howard decides that as well.

Sefant...what makes you think Howard isn't happening? I'm not sure it is either, just curious why you are so sure it isn't.

MavsMan: Howard + Parsons at $50M per? Man, those are scary numbers, but might be reality in the new NBA next year. That would mean the Mavs would have about $70M tied up in 3 players, NONE of whom would be a superstar. Ouch.

Last edited by BigDog63; 04-07-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 AM   #54
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Maybe that's why I'm aggravated at Carlisle for not playing McGee more. He's healthier than he's been in years and shows flashes, so what the hell is there to lose if he plays more? First round exit? That's pretty much a given, but if they can catch lightening in a bottle with a couple of guys (Anderson and Mejri fit that bill imo) then they could surprise.

That's why I think McGee, though a longshot to make a big splash, is still the best risk to take as far as finding a little bit more magic on the existing roster.
The problem with McGee? I think Carlisle likes to see pick and roll offense, especially from backup bigs. Thing is, McGee can rarely set a decent pick where on-ball defenders runs into him. More often than not, McGee sets a pick and already rolls to the basket before on-ball defender is anywhere near him. Seriously, how low your basketball IQ has to be to not set a decent pick?

BUT talking about Dwight Howard. I don't think max contract is what he wants the most. Sure, he wants to get max but a ring - or at least competing for it - is by far more valuable for where he is now. I like the idea signing him. People should not be concerned so much of how to get him to Dallas and who has to leave because of him. It would be nice if someone would show his possible and realistic destinations this offseason. I understand that cap goes up and pretty much everyone can offer him max but I don't think he has any interest in ending up in a situation where he is now - barely competing for playoff spot. In terms of discussing Howard, we should talk more about which teams are actually in the running to get him.

For what it's worth, I think Howard leaving Houston is much more set in stone than him getting a max deal anywhere else. He wouldn't be asking for max contracts if money is what he really is after. It could very well be that D-Will is able to get him to Dallas and make happen what was supposed to be oh so long time ago. I'm sure both of these guys have had thoughts about what ifs. This would be biggest selling pitch Mavs could put together this offseason. Besides, I'm not sure D-Will would be able to get starting PG job in any decent team other than the Mavs...
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:27 AM   #55
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'd love to see your list of better options for this offseason...
But why fall into the same thing we've done every season? Chase something that may leave us scrambling. Dwight will clash with Carlisle. He's not going to change just because he has a Dallas jersey on.

Much rather have Horford or Mavs make a run at Ezeli(restricted) since GS will have players they must pay. They wont be able to hold onto everyone
Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The big issue is that you don't know what Dwight Howard you're going to get on a nightly basis. That is my biggest concern. Look at this his last three games. He was awful versus OKC, great vs Dallas, then pretty awful vs Phoenix minus the blocks. Yes, Houston is a disaster, but that guy should be nutting up and getting them into the playoffs. You can only blame other issues to a certain point before you need to take responsibility and make it happen.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #57
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

The last time Howard got even 10 fga's was march 12th. That's 13 straight games where he has gotten under 10 shot attempts and 5 of those games he had less than 5 shot attempts. Not making excuses for him but it's hard to stay engaged on a nightly basis and bring high level energy and effort to the boards when he is being totally ignored on the offensive end. Harden can give 0 effort on defense, play loose with the ball, dribble the clock out and pass to teammates late in clock for stat padding assists... and he gets talked about as a top 5 player. Howard is supposed to do all the dirty work and then be ignored on offense and listen to how he has a poor attitude and is declining physically while Harden goes clubbing 30mins after a crucial loss in a playoff race? I think a change of scenery is all he needs. If Zaza can be a double double machine here Howard can easily be that. And he would be engaged because the Mavs offense isn't predicated on one player stat padding to justify himself and anyone who plays with poor effort on defense gets to hear from a locker room full of vets who won't tolerate it.

--Edit--
As an aside I'm for chasing Howard but not because I like him necessarily. It's only because I view him as the best of a group of poor options in this years class. And "chasing him" doesn't cause us to miss out on anyone of paramount need imo as there is no pg outside of conley that would be an upgrade and aside from Howard there is no Center that matches next to Dirk, or Parsons if he is kept, that I would pay big money to.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 04-08-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #58
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

To expand on the low FGA's, I'd be interested to know how many of his fga's have been anything other than offensive rebounds. He was 7-9 against us and I think more than half probably came from offensive rebounds. So he literally is not part of the offense. They couldn't score down the stretch on us and I'm sure as a once great player now more of a good player, he feels he could have done something vs our bigs if given the chance. And I get the feeling this narrative is probably the norm on a nightly basis for him by looking at how their offense works anytime I've watched them.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #59
DGM
Banned

How about Pau for two years to go with Dirk?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #60
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
The last time Howard got even 10 fga's was march 12th. That's 13 straight games where he has gotten under 10 shot attempts and 5 of those games he had less than 5 shot attempts. Not making excuses for him but it's hard to stay engaged on a nightly basis and bring high level energy and effort to the boards when he is being totally ignored on the offensive end.
It's almost criminal how Dwight Howard has been ignored on the offensive end since he's been in Houston... When he signed there, the idea was that he and Harden would be a 1A/1B situation, but since then Howard has basically been the 3rd or 4th scoring option. Like, why even bother signing him if you're not going to take advantage of what he can do on the offensive end (especially since most of the league is ill-equipped to defend his type nowadays)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
As an aside I'm for chasing Howard but not because I like him necessarily. It's only because I view him as the best of a group of poor options in this years class. And "chasing him" doesn't cause us to miss out on anyone of paramount need imo as there is no pg outside of conley that would be an upgrade and aside from Howard there is no Center that matches next to Dirk, or Parsons if he is kept, that I would pay big money to.
That's pretty much how I feel about it too - he's the best (or least-worst) of limited options, plus he seems like the most attainable... I mean, he and Parsons are starting to look like they might come as a packaged deal this summer, and it's probably safe to cross Houston off their list of destinations (Howard has made it pretty clear that he won't be back). There are other teams that might make sense, like Orlando, but Parsons has a pretty good thing going here, seeing as how Cuban is willing to pay him like a franchise player and Carlisle is trying to mold him into one -- where else is he going to get a vote of confidence like that before he's even proven himself? If anything, the way he's been treated by this franchise should be be a big motivator to try to bring Dwight to Dallas, rather than signing elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #61
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The big issue is that you don't know what Dwight Howard you're going to get on a nightly basis. That is my biggest concern. Look at this his last three games. He was awful versus OKC, great vs Dallas, then pretty awful vs Phoenix minus the blocks. Yes, Houston is a disaster, but that guy should be nutting up and getting them into the playoffs. You can only blame other issues to a certain point before you need to take responsibility and make it happen.
All valid concerns but you have to factor the team. The Mavs' organization as a whole (coaching, med staff, owner, culture, system, player leadership, etc...) would be a great situation for Howard and could very easily revitalize his career.
Not sure he'd be a #2 option but he'd definitely have room to work like he had in Orlando with Rick's system. If we get him involved early then some of the concerns you mention won't be an issue because he'll get plenty of touches from Barea and Parsons or whoever is running the offense which should make and keep him happy. In fact he could very well be the best player on our team and not have to worry about dealing with a primadonna like he's had to deal with on the last two teams. Probably one of the reasons he was so successful in Orlando.

Howard and Parsons should be top priority imo and if guys like DWill and Felton want to be a part of it they should be the ones to make the financial sacrifices. Howard will have a more prominent role in taking us to a championship than DWill imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-08-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 AM   #62
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

Mavs roster next season
PG - Conley/JJ
SG - Matthews/Harris/Jefferson
SF - Anderson/Prince
PF - Dirk/Lee/Powell
C - Dwight/Mejri/2nd Round pick

Use that Parsons money(23 million) to invest in other positions.
Sign Tayshaun Price as a backup SF at vet minimum
Sign Richard Jefferson as a 3rd string backup SG at vet minimum
Resign Lee using
Match Powell restricted contract. His cap hold is about 1.5 millionish so it's alright
Draft a center using the 2nd round draft pick we actually get to keep
Sign Conley as the starting point guard
Sign Dwight as the starting center

Get rid of Charlie V, Parsons, Evans, Felton, and Williams
Why Williams? Always shown to be after the money
Why Parsons? Not worth 23 million a year(Price mavs offered him)
Why Felton? Want to keep him but will cost too much to keep him
Why Charlie? SUCKS
Why Evans? SUCKS

Why I love this starting 5?
You have 4 great defenders in Dwight, Anderson, Matthews, and Conley. This will make Dirk even better as he has help from 4 other players. Now that is a contending starting 5

LASTLY
*DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS*
TheSportyChannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #63
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSportyChannel View Post
Mavs roster next season
PG - Conley/JJ
SG - Matthews/Harris/Jefferson
SF - Anderson/Prince
PF - Dirk/Lee/Powell
C - Dwight/Mejri/2nd Round pick
I was going to make an argument that our scoring would drop off too much in the starting lineup with the loss of Parsons, but then I compared everyone's per-36 PPG this season (not exactly scientific, but I'm making an overall point about scoring):

Williams 15.6
Matthews 13.3
Parsons 16.7
Dirk 20.9
Zaza 11.8
TOTAL: 78.3

Conley 17.5
Matthews 13.3
Anderson 12.1
Dirk 20.9
Dwight 15.3
TOTAL: 79.1

Obviously the bench would affect our nightly production, but it looks like the additions of Conley and Howard would more than make up for the loss of Parsons... Hell, the scoring even goes up a little here, which is kinda surprising considering that Anderson has nowhere to go but up.

This doesn't really solve the problem of Dirk still having to carry the scoring load, but 4 years of Monta and Parsons haven't really fixed that either, so whatever. The hope here is that you can squeeze more out of Howard on the offensive end than Houston could, plus you get a healthy Wes and give Anderson the opportunity to flourish.

Of course, you also have to consider what your odds are of even signing Howard if Parsons isn't recruiting... And if you don't get him, how do you entice Conley? Or how do you lure Whiteside/Horford/Gasol instead of DH? That's the biggest problem I see with this plan -- it's gonna be tough to one-up the rest of the league when everyone else has the cap to offer max contracts too. What's the pitch without Parsons?

But I certainly do agree with your overall point that Anderson has made the need to keep Parsons a little less certain/necessary, and that maybe JA is the better overall option going forward (especially when you weigh a max contract vs a rookie contract).

Last edited by Underdog; 04-09-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #64
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I like that in theory, but I don't think Dwight is coming if we don't keep Parsons.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #65
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Conley/Matthews/Anderson/Dirk/Howard would be an ideal lineup defensively. Sounds rather pie in the sky since the FO seems determined to keep Parsons, but that's exactly what I'd do.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 PM   #66
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

If Parsons isn't resigned, I don't see how on earth Howard would end up here.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #67
Melonhead
Guru

Dwill/jj
Matthews/Harris
Parsons/Simba
Dirk/Lee/Powell
Howard/Mejri

I mean what a surprise the rookies have been. Mavs don't need to go out and get too much. Really think they are not far from being a top 4-5 team in the west. As long as Cuban doesn't do anything stupid in the offseason
Old 04-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #68
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I follow the Rockets pretty closely, and am good friends with a life long fan there. While he, like most Rockets fans, wants Howard gone, he also freely says that Dwight isn't the problem, either. Harden is the star of that team, and their leader, and he sucks as a leader, setting bad examples, and the team follows him. Before last year, Dwight was the team leader, in fact about the only 1 I saw really playing hard in the series they lost to Portland. The Mavs need him to do the things he is still pretty good at...defense and rebounding. Carlisle's best strength is figuring out what players are good at, and having them do that. With all the vets on this team, Howard won't have to be the leader. I don't really think he'll have an issue with Carlisle, or visa versa.

As for Parson's...I don't really see why we wouldn't want to keep him. Injuries would be the only one. He was playing really really well before the meniscus tear. About 20 ppg, good rebounds and assists. Just what we were hoping for when we signed him in the first place. He seems to be a good fit here, and you have the usual 'if not him, then who?' question if he doesn't come back. Yes, maybe some others out there, at likely less money, but would they be as good, and can we afford to keep recycling everyone?

Last edited by BigDog63; 04-09-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #69
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I like that in theory, but I don't think Dwight is coming if we don't keep Parsons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
If Parsons isn't resigned, I don't see how on earth Howard would end up here.
Not just Howard either... If we don't have a known quantity like Parsons, then how exactly are we going to lure any FAs? We can't just pitch Old Man Dirk, 80% Wes and the tiny sample size that is Justin Anderson's NBA career -- nobody is going to bite. Like, why would a guy like Conley leave Memphis for that? At least Parsons' relationship with players around the league gives us a puncher's chance of landing a decent FA this summer (especially Dwight).

Last edited by Underdog; 04-09-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #70
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I wouldn't mind Conley and Howard as the 2 we got and let Parsons walk. I think we would still struggle offensively but I would like our defense. Having said that there is a 0% chance that DH12 comes here without his buddy Parsons. It's already a low chance he comes here because of the disconnect in what we seem to want to pay him and him wanting the max. There is not one reason for him to come here over other options though if it's just Iron man and a 38yr old Dirk. And there is also a similarly 0% chance Conley comes here with just Iron Man and Dirk. So unless Dwight and Conley have expressed interest in joining a team together, which to my knowledge they have not, then this would be another pie in the sky chase that would bring out the "2011 off season failure, initiating the dominoes of doom via pipe dream free agency plan- Authored by Cuban Sucks" discussion's for the 1000000000th time. Even if we had Dwight or CP to try to bring Conley here, he can get 5th year from Memphis. And he'd be leaving a team that, when healthy, routinely is a higher seed than the Mavs. So in all likelihood it would take more than just DH12 or Parsons to lure him. It would probably require both, which is impossible.

I also want no part at all with Prince and RJ as rotational bench players. I don't even want them as possibilities at the end of the bench for RC to throw out there for his perverse vet fetish.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 04-09-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #71
TheSportyChannel
Banned

TheSportyChannel will become famous soon enoughTheSportyChannel will become famous soon enough

The pitch is mavs have made the playoffs the last 15 out of 16 years. Will be 16 out of 17 years after this year. How many other teams can say that other than the Spurs? Don't need Parsons to tell them in order to sign them. If the mavs some how make it to the 2nd round, I think that will make players want to come over even more. Plus we have top 5 coach Rick Carlisle as the coach who loves to play vets.

Last edited by TheSportyChannel; 04-09-2016 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #72
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
The pitch is mavs have made the playoffs the last 15 out of 16 years. Will be 16 out of 17 years after this year. How many other teams can say that other than the Spurs? Don't need Parsons to tell them in order to sign them. If the mavs some how make it to the 2nd round, I think that will make players want to come over even more. Plus we have top 5 coach Rick Carlisle as the coach who loves to play vets.
You mean the exact same pitch we used while Dirk was in his prime or at least much younger that worked out so well? It's going to magically start working now that Dirk is 38?
Old 04-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #73
Underdog

Quote:
The pitch is mavs have made the playoffs the last 15 out of 16 years. Will be 16 out of 17 years after this year. How many other teams can say that other than the Spurs?

Old 04-09-2016, 02:21 PM   #74
TheSportyChannel
Banned

Sell to them Dirk is still averaging close to 19ppg. I think Dirk is going to turn it up a notch in the playoffs which will make it very enticing to free agents. Maybe Anderson and Wes does the same. Making the 2nd round is the key.

Here is a link to Mavericks salaries
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas_mavericks/

Mavs have enough to give both Conley and Howard 20 million a year. I think Cuban will work things out and get Conley for around 17 million a year and Dwight for 20 million a year. This fits perfectly salary wise.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #75
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

While I do think franchise stability influences on free agents, I think a few things weigh significantly higher (judge for yourself whether these are pluses or negatives on the Mavs):
  • Current roster composition/star power (stars win in the NBA)
  • Money
  • Last two years/next two years (where has the team been very recently and what are the immediate prospects for success)

I still say that I'd be happy if we brought just about everyone back and simply replaced Zaza with Dwight. I think, if reasonably healthy, that's a top four team instead of a borderline playoff team in the West. And considering where we've been over the past few years, that's incremental progress and hopefully a launching pad for adding more high-quality free agents in the near future.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #76
Underdog

Quote:
Sell to them Dirk is still averaging close to 19ppg. I think Dirk is going to turn it up a notch in the playoffs which will make it very enticing to free agents. Maybe Anderson and Wes does the same. Making the 2nd round is the key.
You might wanna sit down, buddy, I've got some bad news for you...

Old 04-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #77
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Mavs have enough to give both Conley and Howard 20 million a year. I think Cuban will work things out and get Conley for around 17 million a year and Dwight for 20 million a year. This fits perfectly salary wise.
Conley turned down an extension before the season which would have been 17m per year for 4 years. He's not signing here for 17. He has been criminally underpaid in comparison to other pg's at 8-9m per year. Also when budgeting, always expect the higher and be happy if you get the lower.

The only reason the Parsons scenario works with Dwight is because I believe his cap hold is lower than what his max would be. So as long as mavs sign Dwight first they can go over to sign Parsons. Any other sceanrio with 2 max level players is extremely hard to fit under cap without making more room.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #78
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Conley's likely not coming. Signing Dwight(or Horford or Whiteside)and then re-signing CP is about best case scenario. Really wish we could find a way to upgrade defensively/effort -wise/durability from D-Will. How much will be left over for D-will if we say sign Dwight and CP?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #79
Underdog

Quote:
How about Pau for two years to go with Dirk?
Gasol: Bulls lack urgency, awareness, maturity

He might be looking for a veteran team this summer, could be a point in our favor (assuming there's any sort of mutual interest).

Last edited by Underdog; 04-09-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #80
rimrocker
Diamond Member

I actually think Howard and Conley could be sold on playing together in Dallas because they would be the stars on a very unselfish veteran team with a championship caliber coach.
However if they do play together Orlando would probably make more sense to them. My guess is that will be where Howard ends up next season and Conley resigns with Memphis.

Best bet for us is for Howard to be plan A with Parsons being the lure and Whiteside as plan B.
I think Howard could take the Tyson role and Anderson can take over the Aminu/Marion role that we've missed most of this season.
Hopefully DWill is at the point of his career where he would be willing to sacrifice a little financially to be on a true contender which is what we would be next season with that roster imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-09-2016 at 05:19 PM.