Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-23-2003, 10:09 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a joke?

Donnie Nelson said the Mavericks have entered discussions with representatives for their own four free agents -- Raja Bell, Adrian Griffin, Walt Williams and Popeye Jones. Although talks are in the early stages, Nelson isn't sure whether any of the players will be re-signed.

I saw this posted somewhere on the board and can't find it now. I think it deserves a thread of it's own. This is taken from the Mavericks notes in the FWST today.

First, what could we possibly be discussing with Popeye Jones? While I think it's disgusting how the Mavs could screw up the 2nd off season in a row, it's not so bad that we need to ask Popeye to come back for another year.

Second, or maybe it should be the first, the Mavs need to zero in on Bell and get his deal done. I'm not saying overpay him or anything, but the Mavs really need to stop screwing around on this front. We can't afford to lose Bell.

Third, forget Griffin. I don't see any reason to bring him back unless Bell signs elsewhere. A lot also depends on what the Mavs think Howard can bring this year.

And last, well, it wouldn't hurt to bring Walt back, especially if we can't pull a trade or sign some other players.

Bottom line, the Mavs should only be in serious discussions with Bell. And possibly Walt.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Is this a joke?

Some speculation that talks with Popeye are part of a possible sign and trade. There is no other reason to call Popeye other than to sell him season tickets.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:20 AM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Is this a joke?

I agree with your post. The Mavs should focus on Bell and maybe bring back Walt. I wouldn't mind if those two returned. I like Grif but he's injured too much. Popeye is great as a person but he didn't contribute. Damn that suitcase that threw out his back. The Mavs should retain Bell and Walt. Anyone wondering why they haven't signed M Daniels yet?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default Is this a joke?

Little did we know the tight 7 man rotation that almost killed us against Portland would be the theme for the 2004 season...

Old 07-23-2003, 01:10 PM   #5
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Is this a joke?

Absolutely. Totally agree. We aren't getting anyone else apparently, let's get the people we can get done & out of the way now. Daniels, Raja, Walt (why not? he's cheap & it's not like we've got someone better waiting around for his roster spot), knock them out now. And please God say the Popeye thing isn't serious. Surely, even Nellie & Cuban realize no good can come of this.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a joke?

Chill, I don't see quote marks... I assume that the writer has "listed" the mavs free agents. Nellie probalby said they were in negotiation with their own free agents. capesh..
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:19 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is this a joke?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Some speculation that talks with Popeye are part of a possible sign and trade. There is no other reason to call Popeye other than to sell him season tickets.
Or a front office job.

I think it's just sloppy reporting... *list of free agents...* *Ctrl-C*...*Ctrl-V*...

Popeye ain't coming back in a uniform.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Is this a joke?

If Popeye comes back it isn't to be in uniform. Maybe its to teach some of our players how to become better rebounders. Only guys I want to see back are Bell and Walt. If Griff is injury free which is not likely to happen but a injury free Griff would help the Mavs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 04:12 PM   #9
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Is this a joke?

I have heard that Griff and walt are talking with NJ Nets! man Nets are really talking this off season!!
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote