Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-22-2003, 08:30 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Theo Ratliff?

Mavericks Notes
Offers take Miller out of Mavs' reach

By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - Another big man on the Mavericks' free-agent wish list is on the verge on signing elsewhere.

Indiana Pacers center Brad Miller is close to signing a six-year deal with the Utah Jazz or Denver Nuggets. The Jazz have offered Miller a $52 million contract; the Nuggets' offer is $49 million.

Miller's agent, Mark Bartelstein, said a decision will be made today or Wednesday, which means the Mavericks probably are out of the picture. Outside of offering their $4.9 million mid-level exception, the Mavs would have to serve up Steve Nash or Nick Van Exel in a sign-and-trade with the Pacers in order to acquire Miller.

Seattle's Elden Campbell and Atlanta's Theo Ratliff are the remaining free-agent centers still available. An underachiever in recent years, Campbell made $7.9 million last season and is adamant about taking nothing less than the $4.9 million mid-level exception.

The Sonics, who acquired Campbell in a midseason trade with New Orleans, have said they won't offer Campbell their mid-level exception.

Campbell averaged just 6.1 points, 3.2 rebounds and 0.7 blocks this past season. All figures were his worst since his rookie season with the Los Angeles Lakers in 1990-91.

Possible deals for Ratliff have been held up while the Hawks go through an ownership change. David McDavid, who made his fortune with a chain of automobile dealerships in Texas, is in the process of purchasing the Hawks. Problems with the paperwork have held up the transaction and cast doubts on whether Ratliff will leave the Hawks.

The New York Knicks also are in the running for Campbell and Ratliff. Philadelphia, Miami and Indiana have expressed interest in Campbell.

Also, Los Angeles Clippers free-agent center Sean Rooks signed a one-year contract Monday with the New Orleans Hornets.

While owner Mark Cuban is still burning up the phone lines in hopes of signing an enforcer, he said there's "nothing new on the free-agent front to report."

Mavericks free agents

The New Jersey Nets have expressed interest in signing Mavericks free agents Walt Williams and Adrian Griffin. The Mavericks' other two free agents are Popeye Jones and Raja Bell, though management said Jones, who had chronic back problems last season, likely will not be retained.

Old 07-22-2003, 08:36 AM   #2
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Theo Ratliff?

Why in the world would anyone express interest in the wizard or griff? They are good players...no doubt. I just think there is a lot out there still availiable that is better.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:39 AM   #3
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road
Default Theo Ratliff?

The last paragraph seems to point to Raja coming back, which is a plus.

Theo Ratliff in a Mavs uni? It is worth a try - maybe Dallas can get him at a bargain basement price. But the way this offseason is going, who knows!

I've added his most recent stats...

Career FG 3PT FT Rebounds Misc
Last 3 Years Team G Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG
2000 PHI 50 36.0 4.6 9.1 49.9 0.0 0.0 0.0 3.3 4.3 76.0 2.5 5.8 8.3 1.2 2.5 0.6 3.7 3.3 12.4
2001 ATL 3 27.3 3.3 6.7 50.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 2.0 3.7 54.5 1.7 3.7 5.3 0.3 2.3 0.3 2.7 2.7 8.7
2002 ATL 81 31.1 3.4 7.3 46.4 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.9 2.6 72.0 1.9 5.6 7.5 0.9 1.7 0.7 3.2 3.4 8.7
Career 474 27.1 3.3 6.6 49.9 0.0 0.0 0.0 2.2 3.0 72.8 2.1 4.2 6.3 0.6 1.5 0.6 2.7 3.0 8.8

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3/3020/

mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:51 AM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I just read a story on realgm about how Ratliff's agent says he has not demanded a trade and how he's an east coast guy. He was answering questions about what 'sources' have leaked during the Boston summer league. How unhappy he is in Atlanta and how he wants to play in the Big Apple.

As for Bell? I'm not excited about that last paragraph. The Mavs said that they wouldn't resign Walt, Griff, or Jones from the start. And while they've expressed interest in resigning Bell, I don't hear talk of it other than he's considering other offers.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:53 AM   #5
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I thought Ratliff had a year left on his contract. Why does this article claim that he's a free agent?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:57 AM   #6
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Theo Ratliff?

Over the last couple of days, all of the New York papers have been speculating about a potential Knicks trade for Ratliff. Maybe their noise is inspiring the Star-Telegram...
Old 07-22-2003, 08:58 AM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

About the only trade(s) I would do would be NVE for Ratliff/Glover (sign and trade), or I might do a NVE/Esch for Ratliff/Terry (sign and trade).

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:59 AM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

madape, the first part is an error about mentioning him as a free agent. It goes on to say deals for him are on hold cause of ownership issues.

You think they'd correct something like that.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:06 AM   #9
DIRK BRASIL

DIRK BRASIL is on a distinguished road
Default Theo Ratliff?

My trade

Nick, Esch and one draft for

Ratliff and Terry.

My starting linneup

Theo
Dirk
Fin
Howard
Nash

Go Mavs!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:10 AM   #10
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough
Default Theo Ratliff?

Why should we be interested in another team's injured player?
Old 07-22-2003, 01:02 PM   #11
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Theo Ratliff?

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
I thought Ratliff had a year left on his contract. Why does this article claim that he's a free agent?
Bad reporting.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Theo Ratliff?

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremiah
Why should we be interested in another team's injured player?
I am not. I want a developing player keeping Esch company on the IL, not another big contract.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 07:28 PM   #13
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

i still say trade AJ for Mohammed. If the hawks are going to dump players for contracts that end this year, then this deal is perfect. AJ can train Dickau, then at the end of the year the Hawks will have 5 mil more to use in FA. and with the 10 mil they dropped 2day with dumping Robinson. thats 15 mil for next year. If they don't move Ratliff, then i could see them do this. I'd even throw in a 2nd rnd pick.

I'd much rather have Mohommed as the 3rd, maybe even 2nd center on this team, instead of esch.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:09 AM   #14
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Theo Ratliff?

Just read this article: Ratliff is not coming to the mavs.

Ratliff not coming

If the Mavericks had designs on acquiring Atlanta Hawks center Theo Ratliff as their enforcer, they can channel those energies elsewhere.

Hawks interim general manager Billy Knight unequivocally said a center of Ratliff's ilk is untouchable.

"We're not trading Theo Ratliff," Knight said. "We haven't entered any discussions about Theo Ratliff going anywhere."

Ratliff has two years and approximately $20 million left on his Hawks contract.

Donnie Nelson said the Mavericks have entered discussions with representatives for their own four free agents -- Raja Bell, Adrian Griffin, Walt Williams and Popeye Jones. Although talks are in the early stages, Nelson isn't sure whether any of the players will be re-signed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------