Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #241
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Cowboys offseason Thread

I think the trade is pretty fair, really...but I think SF would need to get that first rounder from SD at 12, so they could maybe pick up a guy like Rolle, Rogers or Merriman
Old 03-30-2005, 11:48 AM   #242
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Chris Mortensen said on Sportscenter that there is no truth to that rumor. He also mentioned that the Niners might take Edwards at 1 if the two quarterbacks don't impress them.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 AM   #243
endtroducing
Golden Member

yeah, I can understand that thinking...plus, to me it just seems like Alex Smith is poised to be another Jeff Garcia...Dorsey could probably develop with a guy like Edwards on his offense, look at all the weapons he had at Miami...a QB has to have help, you know
Old 03-30-2005, 04:18 PM   #244
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cowboys offseason Thread

Back to a Dallas question?

If DJ, Merriman, and the WR's are gone at 11 and somehow Ced Benson falls to them..... do they take him, and let him run in tandem with JJones?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #245
endtroducing
Golden Member

he won't be there under any circumstance. if he is, which he won't be, they still don't pick him. if he's plummeted that far, he has no trade value...and Jones is already there
Old 03-30-2005, 04:40 PM   #246
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Mar...cus...Spears.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #247
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Mar...cus...Spears.
He's Greg Ellis isn't he? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that, but I'd prefer a speed rusher.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:51 PM   #248
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

How are you on Erasmus James?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #249
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

By most accounts, he's the best and most complete DE in the draft. The problem is that he's been injury prone. I dont' know if I want to take that chance at #11...i guess you have to trust your doctors (the same ones that cleared Marco[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

I guess I'm just looking at the fact that undersized speed rushers with high motors (Freeney and Suggs) have posted big sack numbers in their rookie seasons. Pollack strikes me as that type of guy.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #250
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Cowboys sign WR Ahmad Merritt. Haven't a clue who this guy is. Is this a sign that the cowboys won't be drafting a WR come draft day?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:42 PM   #251
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

i don't think it'll effect the draft. He's a special teams guy who didn't even play last year. If the right guy is there, i don't think this signing will stop them from picking him
Old 04-07-2005, 01:46 AM   #252
chumdawg
Guru

Ed Werder reported on ESPN that Keyshawn missed three days of workouts recently, and when Tuna called him to find out why, KJ said that he wasn't willing to play this year for the $1.5 million contract he has. Werder says to keep an eye on Mike Williams as a possible replacement.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:56 AM   #253
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

blessing in disguise?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 08:57 AM   #254
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

will Williams be there at 11?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 AM   #255
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

TheTicket is reporting that Keyshawn shot down the ESPN rumors.... Said that he will play under his current contract.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM   #256
sike
The Preacha

good news.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #257
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
TheTicket is reporting that Keyshawn shot down the ESPN rumors.... Said that he will play under his current contract.
Startlegram reported the same thing as well. Keyshawn may want more money, but he will play under his current contract.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 04-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #258
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

I don't subscribe to the 'best player available' theory - not this draft. We have gaping holes in the defense to be filled ...Why is Mike Williams BETTER than a dominant LB/DE at the 11 spot?...with or without Keyshawn on the field next season?

I don't care if it's Merriman or Johnson. One of those two bastards best be sporting silver & blue next season. Defense dammit.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #259
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I slightly disagree. We have a bunch of holes that need to be field. You remember when then Cowboys drafted Emmitt? We didn't need a running back that year and look what that has done for us. Look what the draft has done for us when we go and try to fill a hole. We've drafted some of the worst 1st round defensive ends in the league. Now you have some spots that you know you shouldn't be drafting with the first two picks like tight end, running back and free safety. Any other position can use to be upgraded.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 05:38 PM   #260
chumdawg
Guru

I'd like to see the Cowboys get Merriman, Clayton, Poole, and an OT on the first day.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:54 PM   #261
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I'd like to see the Cowboys get Merriman, Clayton, Poole, and an OT on the first day.
Im on board wit that. I think Clayton's a pretty cool cat, and two defensive starters is what we should shoot for.

I just don't think you go WR* at the 11spot. (We got ego problems with a receiver from SC, why the hell are we gonna go draft another one?)

*B. Edwards excluded
Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #262
sike
The Preacha

I williams is there at 11....he will be tempting....he could be the next great thing.....

Old 04-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #263
dalmations202
Diamond Member

I disagree. The Cows need a DE and a LB whether they go 3-4 or 4-3. Both the 1st rounders need to be on D, IMO. With that said, if someone falls at any position that you think might become the "next great", then you take them. Needs, IMO, DE, LB, S, WR, OT. Since you have drafted for the OT already, and you have descent WR's. I think the top 2 picks go Defense, and the third pick offense, although the third pick on defense would be fine as well.

Question: Abraham or Howard? Which team would trade their #2 or #3 and either Abraham or Howard for the #20 pick? Either or Both? Would NO trade Howard and 16th for the 11th pick? Would Jets trade Abraham and 26th for one of Dallas's top picks? Curious what people think about Dallas trading down, but picking up a pass rusher in the trade down?

Old 04-08-2005, 10:16 AM   #264
sike
The Preacha

I wonder where Williams falls on the Cowboys board.

I hope they do trade the second rounder for Howard....anyone heard recent news on this?

Old 04-08-2005, 10:40 AM   #265
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Question: Abraham or Howard? Which team would trade their #2 or #3 and either Abraham or Howard for the #20 pick? Either or Both? Would NO trade Howard and 16th for the 11th pick? Would Jets trade Abraham and 26th for one of Dallas's top picks? Curious what people think about Dallas trading down, but picking up a pass rusher in the trade down?
[img]i/expressions/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #266
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I just don't think you go WR* at the 11spot. (We got ego problems with a receiver from SC, why the hell are we gonna go draft another one?)

*B. Edwards excluded
Glad to see you come around on this...a couple of months ago you bit my head off for suggesting that we have to take Braylon if he falls to 11 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-08-2005, 11:43 AM   #267
sike
The Preacha

Ewards falls to 11 twelve seconds after Hell freezes over.........

Old 04-08-2005, 11:46 AM   #268
sike
The Preacha

Mickey says they may not like Clayton....too small

Mickey and Norm just said the boys should take Williams if he's there at 11.....Parcells likes the big receiver

Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #269
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: dirno2000
Quote:

*B. Edwards excluded
Glad to see you come around on this...a couple of months ago you bit my head off for suggesting that we have to take Braylon if he falls to 11 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Yep that's the danger of talking draft before April - you'll probably just end up with some ignorant ass arguing against Braylon Edwards just cause he played in the Big 11.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #270
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

After seeing Ismail and Galloway for so many years I don't think I could put up with another small reciever who will have problems staying on the field.

1996-2005
Old 04-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #271
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Having watched every game Mark Clayton has played for the past 3 years, I can tell you that he does not have any injury problems. He is small, but he has good speed, great hands, and some of the greatest moves I've ever seen. You will not find a receiver who gets more YAC. Just watching some of the things he can do has made my jaw drop on several different occasions. Is he worth the 11 pick? No, the Cowboys have more glaring needs. But if he's there at 20, the Cowboys should consider him.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:34 PM   #272
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
I disagree. The Cows need a DE and a LB whether they go 3-4 or 4-3. Both the 1st rounders need to be on D, IMO. With that said, if someone falls at any position that you think might become the "next great", then you take them. Needs, IMO, DE, LB, S, WR, OT. Since you have drafted for the OT already, and you have descent WR's. I think the top 2 picks go Defense, and the third pick offense, although the third pick on defense would be fine as well.

I'm completely on board with your plan. I hadn't heard about any interest in Abraham...have you heard something specific?

I think NO's asking price is too high for Howard. I read something yesterday that said the Vikes were interested in him but didn't want to trade the 7th pick. Not sure what that means exactly. The Saints can't seriously think they can get that much out of him, can they?

Old 04-08-2005, 02:50 PM   #273
dalmations202
Diamond Member

From the NY Daily News -- prosportsdaily.com
Article about Abraham and the Jets trying to move him.

The most likely suitors are the Cowboys and Vikings. Both need an outside pass rusher, both have two first-round picks, both have about $9 million in salary-cap room and both have former Jets coaches - Dallas coach Bill Parcells and Minnesota defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell. The Cowboys have two prime bargaining chips (the 11th and 20th picks), although owner Jerry Jones said this week that he's more apt to stockpile picks instead of trading them away.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:07 PM   #274
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Abraham is intriguing but a 1st rounder for him? I'm under the impression that the Jets want no part of him. If that's the case we shouldn't be trading a first rounder for a guy a team wants to gets rid of.

1996-2005
Old 04-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #275
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Abraham is intriguing but a 1st rounder for him? I'm under the impression that the Jets want no part of him. If that's the case we shouldn't be trading a first rounder for a guy a team wants to gets rid of.
Not trading a 1st rounder for him. Just trading down, and picking him up in the process.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:21 PM   #276
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Not trading a 1st rounder for him. Just trading down, and picking him up in the process.
very intersting thought....I'd still rather do the second for Howard if that is on the table

Old 04-08-2005, 08:56 PM   #277
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

2nd rounder + late round pick for either Howard or Abraham (preferably Howard).

Quote:
Having watched every game Mark Clayton has played for the past 3 years, I can tell you that he does not have any injury problems. He is small, but he has good speed, great hands, and some of the greatest moves I've ever seen. You will not find a receiver who gets more YAC. Just watching some of the things he can do has made my jaw drop on several different occasions. Is he worth the 11 pick? No, the Cowboys have more glaring needs. But if he's there at 20, the Cowboys should consider him.
He'll have a solid pro career but not spectacular, if we're going to draft him I hope we trade down. And if Williamson is there at 20 you have to take him, no questions asked.

Quote:

*B. Edwards excluded
Williams and Edwards won't be there but if some how they are we better draft them. Braylon, Troy, and Mike will all have GREAT pro careers; they have the speed, the hands, and can run the routes. We have a huge hole at WR, why not address it with a playmaker? And we could use a playmaker on offense considering we only have 1.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #278
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Williams and Edwards won't be there but if some how they are we better draft them. Braylon, Troy, and Mike will all have GREAT pro careers; they have the speed, the hands, and can run the routes. We have a huge hole at WR, why not address it with a playmaker? And we could use a playmaker on offense considering we only have 1.
We only have to go back to the 2003 draft to find a "sure thing" receiver who didn't pan out: Carlos Rogers. I would say it's likely that one of those three 1st rounders will not be the Pro some are predicting. Just my opinion - they could all be badasses.

I still think the cowboys should focus EXCLUSIVELY on defense until the two major holes are filled.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #279
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Quote:
We only have to go back to the 2003 draft to find a "sure thing" receiver who didn't pan out: Carlos Rogers.
I think you meant Charles Rogers. He can still 'pan out' he hasn't been really given a chance yet with all the injuries. He's only played like 5 or 6 games in his career.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 11:28 AM   #280
sike
The Preacha

Like I said before....if Williams happens to fall to 11 (no way this happens) grab him...and you've most likely got your stud WR for the next several years....someone to grow up with Henson.