Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default A-Rod to Yanks?

New York Post Online

October 28, 2003 -- THEY haven't won the World Series in three straight years, which in Steinbrenner Years, is 21 seasons.
As the rain poured down on Yankee Stadium yesterday and Derek Jeter & Co. cleaned out their lockers, the Yankees' Tampa and New York families were gathering for a Florida summit that is sure to turn ugly. The news could soon get much worse for the Yankees. The rumblings are stronger than ever out of Texas that Alex Rodriguez wants to get away from the Rangers as soon as possible.

The best baseball player on the planet would love to land in one of these three cities: New York, Chicago or, and here is the kicker, Boston. If A-Rod lands with the Red Sox, would you want to be anywhere near The Boss?

I didn't think so.

Jim Duquette, in his first order of business as Mets post-interim GM, should make a deal with the Rangers and get Rodriguez so the Mets could play dueling Hall of Fame shortstops with the Yankees.

It would be the type of bold stroke that would actually get people interested in the Mets again. I don't know how you feel, but watching Jason Phillips grow didn't do it for me.

There are some in the Red Sox hierarchy who would love to see Nomar Garciaparra pack his bags as soon as possible and move to the West Coast to play with the Dodgers, where he could use the outfield for soccer matches all winter long with Mia.

Garciaparra doesn't exactly fit the profile for the kind of star the Red Sox want to build around and he can leave as a free agent after next year anyway.

Rodriguez still has seven years left on his contract at $154 million. Only a few teams can afford that glue. The Red Sox are one of them. Rodriguez, and his .396 on-base percentage, 47 home runs and 118 RBIs would make that lineup a Green Monster's Row.

The boldest move of all could be made by the Yankees. They could start with a package that includes Alfonso Soriano and make a deal for Rodriguez, but then they would have to figure out who would play shortstop, Jeter or A-Rod, with the other moving to second or third.

That controversy itself would guarantee the back page every day for Steinbrenner and would put the YES ratings through the roof. And the Yankees wouldn't be going 0-for-12 with runners on base like they did in Game 6.

If you are going to be the Evil Empire, you might as well go the distance.

Just look at the three teams - Arizona, Anaheim and Florida - that have won the World Series the last three years. They all were teams that did the little things right. The Marlins also had a seasoned baseball man in 72-year-old Jack McKeon who knows how to evaluate the talent given to him and how best to use it. He also had ownership's ear.

Steinbrenner really has no baseball senior citizen like that to rely on in his inner circle.

The Yankees are in danger of being lapped by the Red Sox, who dumped manager Grady Little yesterday. The changes the Yankees make must be the right changes.

"We've always made additions, subtractions; we do all kinds of things here," Jeter said. "The thing that you learn is you wait until spring training to see what kind of team you have.

"[Steinbrenner] is willing to spend and that's good; he wants to win," Jeter added. "I don't know what his plans are, I don't know if he's trying to increase payroll, decrease payroll, but one thing you know for sure is he's going to give you the chance to win."

Go all the way, George. Get A-Rod.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:A-Rod to Yanks?

Quote:
Originally posted by: XERXES
New York Post
'nuff said

Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 09:00 PM   #3
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: A-Rod to Yanks?

Quote:
They could start with a package that includes Alfonso Soriano and make a deal for Rodriguez, but then they would have to figure out who would play shortstop, Jeter or A-Rod, with the other moving to second or third.
Getting rid of Soriano and having Jeter and Alex in the infield? I love to dream.

Old 10-28-2003, 09:58 PM   #4
BQuinn2210

BQuinn2210 is on a distinguished road

The rangers (Tom hicks) and a-rod already talked about his contract and he expressed that he wants to stay with the team. hicks would be crazy to break up that incredible infield but if we did trade with the yankees i would want pettitte and soriano. I still dont think a-rod is going anywhere.
BQuinn2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:26 PM   #5
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

A-Rod isn't going anywhere, but if he does....PLEASE don't go to the damn yanks Alex,please!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 10:42 PM   #6
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: BQuinn2210
The rangers (Tom hicks) and a-rod already talked about his contract and he expressed that he wants to stay with the team. hicks would be crazy to break up that incredible infield but if we did trade with the yankees i would want pettitte and soriano. I still dont think a-rod is going anywhere.
pettite is a free agent
Old 10-29-2003, 01:53 AM   #7
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Chiwas
Quote:
They could start with a package that includes Alfonso Soriano and make a deal for Rodriguez, but then they would have to figure out who would play shortstop, Jeter or A-Rod, with the other moving to second or third.
Getting rid of Soriano and having Jeter and Alex in the infield? I love to dream.

Sounds like Yankees are gonna hire Nellie as their manager.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:44 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
Sounds like Yankees are gonna hire Nellie as their manager.
I don't expect Torre to stay after three years of failing.

(And the Mavs won't release Nellie before 2013. [img]i/expressions/moon.gif[/img] )

Old 10-29-2003, 02:38 PM   #9
BQuinn2210

BQuinn2210 is on a distinguished road

Joe isnt goin anywhere. The thing i hope happens would be for grady little to take zim's place and valentine to coach the sox! what a series that would be.
BQuinn2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 03:01 PM   #10
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

How about Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward for ARod???
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Still it does have some merit. Notice all sports rumors hardly ever come true from the post or not.

Id do it just to get out from under AROD's enormous salary. Its just impossible to win when your owner won't spend more then 70 million dollars. Id use the AROD money to sign Andy Petite and perhaps Bartolo Colon. Pitching, Pitching, Pitching the Rangers have none until they get it we will never win! Not to mention Soriano is a great young second baseman.

Note where will that incredible infield take them to last place.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:48 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its just impossible to win when your owner won't spend more then 70 million dollars
watch the world series this year?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:51 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

the lack of a cap in baseball is both what makes baseball rock and what makes it so (seemingly) unfair.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:28 PM   #14
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Look Murph,
I get it a team with a 70 million dollar payroll can win big. If they have big time young arms the marlins have them the rangers don't. If they don't have one guy that comprises 36 percent of the total payroll of the team.

Besides Soriano would be the perfect leadoff hitter for the offense. Just move Mike Young to center and we have just solved our problem in center field.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 03:48 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Look Murph,
I get it a team with a 70 million dollar payroll can win big. If they have big time young arms the marlins have them the rangers don't. If they don't have one guy that comprises 36 percent of the total payroll of the team.

How am I supposed to know that you 'get it' when this is included in your originall statement?:

Quote:
Its just impossible to win when your owner won't spend more then 70 million dollars.
But, JayC, I'm more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps your first statement just didn't come across as initially intended.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #16
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

I love A-Rod. It's obvious that he is the best player in baseball...but, JayC had a keen observation that this "great infield" finished in last place.

If we can get value back we MUST trade A-Rod. If we could get a legit #1 or #2 starter, a shortstop, and a prospect or two - I'd make that deal in a heartbeat!
Old 10-30-2003, 03:57 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

oh sure, xerxes..if someone is willing to give the rangers a ridiculous deal in return full of young-stud starting pitchers and perhaps a prospect or two..then yeah, it could be worth it.

when it comes to making trades..never say never
Old 10-30-2003, 04:06 PM   #18
XERXES
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
oh sure, xerxes..if someone is willing to give the rangers a ridiculous deal in return full of young-stud starting pitchers and perhaps a prospect or two..then yeah, it could be worth it.

when it comes to making trades..never say never
I don't even have to have a "young stud pitcher..." just a legit #2 starter, a decent shortstop, and a prospect or two.

Look at what we got from the Marlins for Urbina. People will overpay if they really want somebody (And I don't think the Marlins are complaining now) and who wouldn't overpay for the best player in baseball? Actually, let me turn that around...Who would overpay?...I'd put Steinbrenner on that list.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:18 PM   #19
XERXES
Diamond Member

A-Rod to Boston?
Ditching Ramirez key to any Red Sox move
By T.R. Sullivan
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/SHARON M. STEINMAN
The amount of money the Rangers would save over the final seven years of Rodriguez's contract, if he were traded this off-season.

ARLINGTON - The Boston Red Sox have placed Manny Ramirez on irrevocable waivers, starting a shake-up that could lead them to Rangers shortstop Alex Rodriguez.

Industry sources said if a team claims Ramirez by noon today, the Red Sox will be left with a number of options because of the financial flexibility created. One of them might be a proposal that would send Nomar Garciaparra and prospects to the Rangers for Rodriguez.

Rodriguez has a no-trade clause and would have to approve such a deal. But Rodriguez has always had a desire to play on the East Coast and, during the Rangers' trip to Boston earlier this year, spoke highly of the passion that surrounds the Red Sox.

Sources said the Rangers are not trying to trade Rodriguez but would listen to any proposal that would allow them to focus on their goals of getting younger and eventually building around pitching. Although the Red Sox and Rangers have been in contact, one source said the possibility of trading Rodriguez is "very premature."

Another source estimated the possibility of a trade being pulled off is about "20 percent." A deal is highly unlikely if Ramirez remains unclaimed. Sources also said the Rangers would never trade Rodriguez if they were forced to pick up any of his contract.

Rodriguez has seven years and $189 million remaining on his contract. He is scheduled to make $21 million in 2004, $25 million per season in 2005 and '06 and $27 million per season in 2007-2010.

Unless the Rangers are overwhelmed with an offer that would include at least two established players and two prospects, they are likely to stay focused on their more modest off-season goal of adding one starting pitcher, an outfielder and a reliever.

Rangers general manager John Hart and Rodriguez could not be reached for comment. Owner Tom Hicks declined comment.

Garciaparra has one year left on his contract and is scheduled to receive $11.5 million. If the Rangers acquired him for one year and did not re-sign him, they would free up a substantial amount of money to spend on pitching. They are expected to have interest in pitcher Kerry Wood if the Chicago Cubs don't sign him to a long-term extension this winter.

The Red Sox don't have young pitching to trade, but they do have three young minor league prospects who could be of interest to the Rangers. At the top of the list would be Double A catcher Kelly Shoppach, a Fort Worth native and Brewer High School graduate. Also of interest would be pitcher Jorge De La Rosa, shortstop Hanley Ramirez and third baseman Kevin Youkilis.

Garciaparra hit .301 for the Red Sox this year with 120 runs scored, 28 home runs and 105 runs batted in.

The Red Sox would have other options to consider should Ramirez be claimed.

One would be to pursue free agent outfielder Vladimir Guerrero. Another would be to pursue free agent pitching, a list that includes Kevin Millwood, Andy Pettitte and Bartolo Colon.

They could also use the money saved to sign Garciaparra, Pedro Martinez, Jason Varitek, Trot Nixon and/or Derek Lowe. All can be free agents after next season.

But making such moves depends on another team claiming Ramirez and his contract, which has five years and $101.5 million remaining, plus $1 million if he is traded. That may be difficult for a team to do. The most likely possibilities are the New York Yankees and the Baltimore Orioles, two teams that could afford a hefty contract.

Several major-league officials said Thursday that they would be surprised if Ramirez is claimed. But it's also obvious that the Red Sox are intent on making some major moves this winter.

That usually stirs George Steinbrenner and the New York Yankees, one of the few other clubs, major league officials said, that could take Rodriguez's contract in a trade. The Anaheim Angels are another.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:34 PM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Rangers Will Consider Trading Rodriguez
By RAFAEL HERMOSO

Published: October 31, 2003

The Texas Rangers are willing to listen to offers for Alex Rodriguez, their prized shortstop and the highest-paid player in baseball, although they are not actively shopping him, an American League official who has spoken to members of the Rangers' front office said yesterday.

The Rangers' motivation would be to free themselves of the potential seven years and $179 million remaining on Rodriguez's contract, and to spend his $25 million average annual salary on filling multiple needs.

Rodriguez, who can veto a trade to any team and therefore determine where he wants to play, is perceived to have grown weary of the Rangers' losing. He is eager to join the kind of team for which postseason appearances have become the norm for his shortstop contemporaries like the Yankees' Derek Jeter, the Red Sox' Nomar Garciaparra and Miguel Tejada, a free agent from the Athletics.

But there are few teams that could afford Rodriguez and that would appeal to him. The Mets were Rodriguez's first choice as a free agent three years ago, before Steve Phillips, general manager at the time, said his contract demands would create a "24 and one" clubhouse atmosphere. But the Mets have been intrigued since Rodriguez said this summer that he would consider accepting a trade. He backtracked on those comments the next day.

But a person who recently spoke with Rodriguez said that he would not go to a National League team and that he did not think Rodriguez would accept a trade to the Mets. The person listed Boston, Anaheim, Baltimore and the Yankees as possible destinations.

The Yankees, of course, have their own All-Star shortstop, Jeter, who is signed through 2010. Jeter's relationship with Rodriguez is believed to have cooled in recent years, making a position switch for either unlikely.

Rodriguez, 28, signed a record 10-year, $252 million contract three years ago with an out clause that allows him to leave after seven seasons. But officials from two other teams said this week that there were too many indications in recent months that Rodriguez might be headed elsewhere. At least one Rangers official has commented privately that he expects Rodriguez to be playing for another team next season.

Tom Hicks, the Rangers' owner who gave Rodriguez that deal, spoke with his shortstop after the season about the team's plans and reaffirmed their commitment. But Scott Boras, Rodriguez's agent, told The Dallas Morning News in September that Hicks had made a commitment to surround Rodriguez with a competitive team and that cutting payroll, as Hicks said he had "no choice but to do," would go against that.

The Rangers' payroll could be cut to $70 million next season from $104 million last opening day. Rodriguez will earn $21 million in 2004, and it is not hard to calculate the difficulty in assembling a competitive team when 30 percent of the payroll is devoted to one player.

Rodriguez will collect $98 million over the next four seasons and, if he does not exercise his player option, another $81 million in the next three seasons.

To make a trade more realistic, an executive with another team said, Rodriguez would have to restructure his contract or the Rangers would need to pay a large chunk of it, bringing the annual value down to about $15 million.

But the official who had spoken with the Rangers said that Boras was unwilling to redo the contract and that Hicks would not pay for any of Rodriguez's contract, offering instead to accept a bloated contract from another team.

The Mets, the official said as an example, could ship catcher Mike Piazza, shortstop José Reyes and pitcher Aaron Heilman to Texas. Piazza is owed $30 million over the next two seasons and can veto any trade, and Reyes is all but untouchable. The Mets would consider moving Reyes to second base only if they had a chance to acquire Rodriguez.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 01:53 PM   #21
XERXES
Diamond Member

Where there's smoke there's usually a fire.

Quote:
At least one Rangers official has commented privately that he expects Rodriguez to be playing for another team next season.
I think A-Rod will be gone before Spring Training starts. I just hope they get value (read "quality pitching") back!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:57 PM   #22
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I just hope we get something good for A-rod.

Please Rangers management don't screw this up.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:26 PM   #23
XERXES
Diamond Member

NEWSDAY

By Ken Davidoff
Staff Correspondent

November 10, 2003, 10:41 PM EST

Phoenix -- It was a strong free-agent crop that opened Monday, with a flurry of attractive names hitting the market. There are starting pitchers (Bartolo Colon, Kevin Millwood), shortstops (Miguel Tejada, possibly Kazuo Matsui) and rightfielders (Vladimir Guerrero, Gary Sheffield). General managers had so many options to contemplate at their meetings at the Arizona Biltmore Resort & Spa.

Yet the best player available is anything but free, and he could be the sparkplug for massive change in as many as three organizations.

The Rangers are determined to unload shortstop Alex Rodriguez, according to a National League source, and baseball's highest-paid player seems quite amenable to going elsewhere. Recently, Texas has discussed a potentially enormous three-way trade with the Red Sox and Angels.

In these discussions, the Rangers would send Rodriguez to the Red Sox, Boston would ship superstar shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to Anaheim and the Angels would send shortstop David Eckstein and a few pitchers to Texas.

The Rangers would get the raw end of the deal in terms of talent, but they would free themselves of the infamous 10-year, $252-million deal Rodriguez signed three years ago. He has seven years and $189 million left on the contract -- he can opt out after 2007 -- so the Rangers would have to ship money to the team that takes him.

Rodriguez has a complete no-trade clause, so the 28-year-old will have complete say over his destination. A source close to Rodriguez said the idea of playing in Boston, where ownership is willing to spend to win and where the fan base is passionate, intrigues him. He also would face his former best friend Derek Jeter and the Yankees 19 times a year.

Other teams that could take Rod.riguez's contract include the Angels, Orioles and Dodgers. The Angels, under new owner Arturo Moreno, are intent on making an impact. If they can't get Rodriguez or Garciaparra, they could sign Tejada or the Japanese star Matsui. The Dodgers are changing owners, and once real-estate tycoon Frank McCourt takes over, they also seem inclined to make high-profile changes. Orioles owner Peter Angelos would probably have minimal reservations about investing so much in such a guaranteed performer.

The Mets and Yankees would be candidates for Rodriguez only because they could afford him. But the Mets have the promising, young Jose Reyes at shortstop, and they're looking to trim their payroll to the $90-million range, which would be impossible if they took on A-Rod's salary.

George Steinbrenner was infuriated this past summer when the Red Sox acquired relievers Scott Sauerbeck and Scott Williamson, so The Boss' temper would reach new heights if Boston could get Rodriguez. Yet with Jeter at shortstop, they'd have to ask him or A-Rod to move to third or second base. It's hard to fathom that either would agree to do so, especially since Jeter doesn't like Rodriguez anymore.

The $252-million deal between Rodriguez and the Rangers, so heavily criticized by Major League Baseball officials upon its announcement in December 2000, has fizzled because Texas finished last in all three seasons with Rodriguez. They have been unable to put together a decent pitching staff to support a lineup featuring potential Hall of Famers Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez.

Texas owner Tom Hicks, having lost much money on the Dallas Stars of the NHL, has decreed he won't spend significant money on the Rangers this offseason. That has further motivated Rodriguez to carry his talent and huge contract out of the Lone Star State.
Copyright © 2003, Newsday, Inc. | Article licensing and reprint options

Old 11-11-2003, 03:10 PM   #24
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

Quote:
Rangers reportedly trying to deal A-Rod, interested in Clemens
Nov. 11, 2003
SportsLine.com wire reports

DALLAS -- According to a pair of reports, the Texas Rangers are looking into trading All-Star shortstop Alex Rodriguez, and are also interested in having Roger Clemens pitch for them in 2004.

New York Newsday reported Tuesday that the Rangers recently discussed a huge, three-team trade that involved Rodriguez and Boston Red Sox All-Star shortstop Nomar Garciaparra.

According to the paper, the discussions centered around the Rangers sending Rodriguez to Boston. The Red Sox would then deal Garciaparra to Anaheim, with the Angels shipping shortstop David Eckstein and a few pitchers to the Rangers.

There have been a lot of rumors recently about Texas trying to move Rodriguez, although the shortstop has maintained he expects to be in Texas next season.

Also, Texas general manager John Hart denied he has had talks with other teams about a trade for Rodriguez.

With the poor economics in baseball, it's not likely a team would be interested in taking on Rodriguez's incredible $252 million, 10-year contract. However, the scenario mentioned by Newsday could fit for both Rodriguez and Garciaparra. Rodriguez, who has seven years left on his contract, could play for a team that is committed to spending money to win a championship. Garciaparra would play in his home state of California.

Rodriguez has a complete no-trade clause, and Newsday reported that he would have total say over where he is dealt. The Angels, Orioles and Dodgers also reportedly have the money to spend to get Rodriguez.

The newspaper reports the Yankees would probably not be a good fit for Rodriguez for two major reasons. New York shortstop Derek Jeter and A-Rod, former best friends, have had a falling out. Also, the Yankees would have to ask either Jeter or Rodriguez to move somewhere else in the infield.

Meanwhile, the Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday that according to a club source, the Rangers have contacted Allan Hendricks, Clemens' longtime agent.

The Rangers are reportedly trying to see if Clemens is serious about retirement, or if he'll consider pitching in a situation similar to what Nolan Ryan had when he came to the Rangers in 1989.

Ryan was able to pitch in as many home games as possible while spending time with his family. Clemens announced his decision to retire earlier this year for similar reasons. The 41-year-old Clemens lives in Houston.

Clemens, baseball's only six-time Cy Young Award winner, has pitched for the Yankees the past five seasons. He went 17-9 with a 3.91 ERA this year and surpassed the 300-win mark and 4,000-strikeout plateau earlier this season.

Instead of filling out retirement papers, Clemens has filed for free agency, which leaves the door open if he wants to return for a 21st season. If the Yankees don't offer Clemens salary arbitration by Dec. 7, they would not be able to re-sign him until May 1. By that time, it's likely another team would snatch up the Rocket.
This is just another article I found on the Rangers Rumor about Arod.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 07:34 PM   #25
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

The only way I like this trade idea is if the Rangers get Francisco Rodriguez and spend all the money they save from A-Rod on starting pitchers such as Kevin Milwood and Bartolo Colon.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:46 AM   #26
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I think the Rangers will probably move A-Rod at these winter meetings. Just a feeling.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #27
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

i agree Max, to get maxim value the real key is to play the Mets, Yanks, and Boston against each other to aquire the best arms and/or prospects possible. George would through a fit if either of the other 2 teams aquired A-Rod with the Yanks not making so much as an offer!