Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Here is something you might all consider. Who is to say that Dirk and Carmelo can play efficiantly. They are both too simular. At least Roddy is a guard which is something that would complement a front line player. Players productivity runs in cycles. What if Carmelo and Dirk are on the same cycle. Meaning the are both hot at the same time and both cold at the same time. When they are hot they have to share the ball reducing each other productivity. When they are both cold than they would both be throwing up bricks. And don't even think that that doesn't happen with two superstars on the team.

Show me a team that had two similar superstars that were worth a sh*tt. I mean for all practical purposes Dirk plays a small forwards game. They are really not complementory players. You want your top players to occupy different parts of the floor. Roddy is a far more complementory for Dirk. Roddy and Carmelo are also far more complementory to each other than Dirk and Carmelo. The only advantage would be the double team thing but they would still double anyway using a zone. And another really inportant thing Carmelo's ego would not let him think he is playing Robin. He would want to be Batman. Dirk plays better when he has the ball and the team relys on him. I don't think they would play well together. Players stats do not always translate to a new team. I think most of you believe all his numbers would come over intact without effecting Dirks numbers. Neither would be the same. So I guess I am a terrorist and hate my mother.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
Here is something you might all consider. Who is to say that Dirk and Carmelo can play efficiantly. They are both too simular. At least Roddy is a guard which is something that would complement a front line player. Players productivity runs in cycles. What if Carmelo and Dirk are on the same cycle. Meaning the are both hot at the same time and both cold at the same time. When they are hot they have to share the ball reducing each other productivity. When they are both cold than they would both be throwing up bricks. And don't even think that that doesn't happen with two superstars on the team.

Show me a team that had two similar superstars that were worth a sh*tt. I mean for all practical purposes Dirk plays a small forwards game. They are really not complementory players. You want your top players to occupy different parts of the floor. Roddy is a far more complementory for Dirk. Roddy and Carmelo are also far more complementory to each other than Dirk and Carmelo. The only advantage would be the double team thing but they would still double anyway using a zone. And another really inportant thing Carmelo's ego would not let him think he is playing Robin. He would want to be Batman. Dirk plays better when he has the ball and the team relys on him. I don't think they would play well together. Players stats do not always translate to a new team. I think most of you believe all his numbers would come over intact without effecting Dirks numbers. Neither would be the same. So I guess I am a terrorist and hate my mother.
Dirk and Melo are similar? In what galaxy? Only thing they have in common is that both are superstars.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:04 AM   #3
wilmtalk

wilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to beholdwilmtalk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Dirk and Melo are similar? In what galaxy? Only thing they have in common is that both are superstars.
well Dtownsfinest- You really can't see the simularity of their game. What thischarmingfan posted was sort of what I was refering too. The both are score mostly from meduim to long range. Dirks game is more like a small forward than a PF. Neither are considered post players or guards. When you have limited resources as the salary cap dictates to the NBA teams. And believe me what it would take to get Carmelo would pretty much expend the Mavs leaving them little else to work with.) you must use what resources you have in the most efficiant manner available. You don't double up in like positions at the superstar level. That is a very inefficiant use of resources.

Those resources would be better spent aquiring a guard or a low post scorer. Acquiring Carmelo would cost them a position that they are weak in. An athletic and fast guard that can score off the dribble and play defense against the top quick point guards. And don't even suggest that JJB is a long term answer for that. With Roddy gone that would mean the Mavs would have to start from scratch to aquire a versitile guard to fill that spot. This is what I meant by a more complementory player. Roddy would complement either one of them better than they would each other. Haven't you learned a lesson from the Miami Heat who were supposed to run over everyone. The reality is that LeBron and Wade while still great players would be far more efficiant individually than they are together because they are both more effective when they have the ball in their hands rather than moving with out the ball. They represent a doubled up skill. If you took either one and subsituted an all star center they would be a much better team. They also are really in a real bind when they have to face a quick point guard like Rhondo. The celtics height and quickness at the point is something they have no answer to.

There were a lot of fans who believed that putting those three all stars together would guaranty them the title. Think of the adjustment period they went through just to move up to being a viable contender. Whether players would be complimentory to each other is a major consideration in trading for or bringing them on a team. And it isn't just if Carmelo would be complementory to Dirk but also the rest of this team. This team is built on ball movement and balenced scoring. Bringing on a player who needs a lot of touches and shots like Carmelo does would negate the effectiveness of the res of the team. Dirk is able to play with them I doubt Carmelo could. The cost involved to just get another scorer who can make his own shots would not be worth the price.

Oh by the way Carmelo is not entirely stupid. He wants to go play with Stademire who is more of a low post finisher. They would not occupy the same space on offense.

Last edited by wilmtalk; 02-21-2011 at 03:09 AM.
wilmtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmtalk View Post
This is what I meant by a more complementory player. Roddy would complement either one of them better than they would each other.
Totally agree on that.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
another cadban meltdown, cadban can't help himself, cadban knows dick, cadban returns!, cadbane likes poles, cadbane vs. the world, check out my new thread!!, everyoneiswrongbutme, look at me i'm important, mommatheregoesthatman, return of the quack!