Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default You got some 'splaining to do Lucy.....

Greetings friends. It’s actually been a while since I have been on the site and that is not because of the recent banning for a month. I was pretty regularly absent long before that. This is going to be a long explanation for those interested in reading it but hopefully it will be worth the time and clear some things up.

I was recently at a conference and when I came back I was looking forward to coming to the site and participate in a GDT. One problem. My account had been banned. Over the past month I have been reading through numerous posts and more recently I have reviewed the private messages sent and received from/to my account. I also had to change my password post-ban. Perhaps the following will clear some things up.

About three years ago, I was involved in a planning discussion for a graduate student thesis as an outside reader. Most universities require an outside reader for the purpose of maintaining graduate school rules and representation, fair handling of the established protocols for graduation etc. It eliminates the appearance and possibility of a major advisor “pushing through” a graduate who was not deserving of a degree just to get them the heck out of their environment. Trust me….it has happened at darned near every school at some point. Anyways, the thesis planning group was convened and I was the reader.

A student had put together a proposal for a masters thesis of study in social theory and specifically wanted to study community theory. The original proposal was interesting but quite frankly not very well developed….especially to those in the know in that field (not my area of expertise at all so I had to take their word for it). The committee sent the kid back out with some very direct questions and requirements and asked that student to develop an original idea couched within the known and accepted theoretical standards of their chosen topic, i.e. Community Theory.

Soonafter, the student requested that we meet again. To be honest, I did not expect much. However, the kid came through. They had obviously studied up very diligently on the theoretical concepts and had to the surprise of the committee applied it to a new and original area of study. The student chose to study applied community theory in the online environment. There was a lot of committee discussion. A whole lot. I’d like to think that my participation assuaged at least one objector as I described my involvement of online community at D-M.com and two other sites, one which I had been a member since 1999 and another since 2000. More discussion ensued. A lot of it. Then some more. The kid had well thought out answers for almost every committee inquiry. I learned a lot about social and community theory during the process. Certainly more than I ever thought or ever wanted but it was interesting.

I had intended on sharing the students questions of study and many of the results but I spoke to another committee member and they were reluctant to release much information which might identify the primary student. Why would I speak to another committee member about this? Easy. And the answer may give you some insight into the oddities of my account over the past couple years. Stay with me…I’ll eventually get there.

The committee approved a path of study for this student and they established several accounts in potential online communities. Several undergraduates and a couple of graduate students were used to post about topics relating to the research questions in online communities focused on politics, religion (a lot of this type of site), medical issues, cars, shopping, higher education, and of course sports. I probably have forgotten some but you get the idea. I volunteered my D-M.com account and two others way back at the start of this study because I identified them as established online communities and I believed in what this student was trying to accomplish.

Interactions between posters were noted, behavioral and interactive responses were noted, reactions to political questions, crime, topics of the day, etc were all noted. Trends in theory and question were examined. The one idea that I will share is that the researchers were looking for similarities between real communities and how they react and online communities. Pretty interesting topic to the kids and committee.

So, now you are aware that other people posted on my account over the past couple of years (one graduate student and a few undergraduate data collectors, one of which parlayed their time into another masters thesis separate from this one but that is another story). I divulged this to one mod and a couple of you over the past year and a half or so when questions arose over odd posts, inconsistent behavior etc. I was reluctant to share this and appreciate those of you who knew this keeping it quiet to preserve the integrity of the research project. It was recently that I began to talk to the data collectors about their role in this project and their temperament on the sites of study. The committee is aware of these discussions and quite frankly at least one kid was fired from this research grant as a result of the recent garbage that was posted which was clearly beyond the scope of the approved study.

You may be thinking something along the lines of “was any of my stuff used”? I don't know. Probably? Maybe? This may piss some people off. If so I apologize as that was never an intended consequence. However, I thought the pursuit of intellectual discovery was certainly worth it and to be fair, everything posted in a forum is in the public domain and free for consumption and use….and yes, the IRB and GC seemed to agree on that way back when this kicked off. You can rest assured that gameday threads and the like were not a large part of this study for several reasons (i.e. typically no questions were relevant and most of us were rabid Mavs homers). Some GDT stuff was used to note how sports communities banded together etc versus other team fans but most was minor. You can also rest assured that NONE of the private messages that you may have sent were used, although unfortunately I have discovered that several PM’s were sent out that I was not aware of and that was unacceptable. Prior to initiating this study, a set of fairly well thought out ground rules were put in place. Several of those ground rules have been broken, especially in the past year. The one point recently about a bazillion pm's being sent from my account however is not substantiated. Quite frankly I find no evidence of it (only 4 sent pm's to the poster in question and those were in response to sick dialogue for which both people should be ashamed).

The good news in all of this is that a student earned a masters degree and has been accepted into a doctoral program to expand on their work. Equally positive is the fact that another student is working in theoretical community theory towards their own masters degree. Not to be overlooked is the value of exposing other undergrads to research methodologies.

The bad stuff is unfortunately being dealt with. As the owner of this account, I do apologize to those who were subjected to one of our undergrad data collectors and ultimately take responsibility for the use of the Drbio account. This individual was removed from the project and taken through internal processes. They were lucky to remain in school. Damned lucky. Real damn lucky. I and another recommended against it and they are lucky an impartial person reviewed their actions. This site was not even the most egregious of behavioral problems, probably due to my continued participation in the occasional GDT. The actions of two posters on multiple sites nearly derailed a very interesting and academically valuable line of research and that is totally unacceptable, as is the way that some have been treated on multiple sites.

I have tried to read up on the posts made here and at other sites but I will restrict my further talk on this subject to only that stuff posted here. I have literally poured over page after page after page after page of post documentation and analysis, theoretical interpretations, etc for posts made here. Another committee member and I continue to inspect use logs, site data etc to provide insight into some recent problems. However...we are at the end as neither os f have the time nor the inclination to continue.

One such incident is the recent chumdawg stuff. Chum and I always got along fine and the mutual awarding of this sites reputation supports that. I have looked at the pm’s and I do not know what happened because there are literally no outgoing pm’s on my account to chum outside of three individual pm’s which involve a bit of a pissing match on both sides. So chum….I don’t know what to say about the bazillion pm’s as I find no evidence of it. I do apologize for allowing my account to be used in such a manner if it was. I have changed the account password and hope that we can interact like we have been in the past from this point on, but seriously…there is nothing for me to go on here. If you have something I would be interested in seeing it.

The stuff at the other sites quite frankly make this stuff here look like nothing. I am happy to field questions, inquiries etc from any of you and it will probably help us in determining one other fate. Perhaps pm's would be best for individual inquiry? I actually would appreciate the feedback. I’ll tell you if I personally argued with you or not (mavdog) and tell you if I need to hear more to know. It would be helpful. Anyways…rather than try to list any findings from here I am going to offer the Q&A and hope it also helps us.

I would like to keep this account open for at least this Q&A process but if it needs to be permanently banned…do it. It matters not to me. If it can stay open great. I have changed the password (about a week ago) and no further accessibility will ever be made but me and me only. Quite frankly, my time here has been sporadic at best over the past year and I can start over if need be or if time permits.

Here’s hoping this clears up at least some things.

Thanks again to those of you helped keep this project on path. Your ability to keep a secret was much appreciated.

Best regards…

Doc

Last edited by Flacolaco; 10-17-2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: history
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

So...which one of the DrBio's was in the GDT's during the playoffs last year? Which DrBio went to Miami for the Finals? Which DrBio owes me a lot of rep for calling Luke Walton a mouth-breather? The more I think about this, the more confused I become...This would have made a lot more sense had it been Wraith, who sometimes seems a tad bit schizo...Weird...Not a banishing offense, in my opinion...Also, if my stuff was used, did I get an "Executive Producer" credit on the kid's thesis? I have always wanted to be an executive producer...

Last edited by big_pth; 03-15-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Guilty, guilty, and LOL guilty.

It need not make sense. I did what I believed was helpful to an academic pursuit. If that makes some mad here I can't do much about it but move forward. Honestly....I won't be around all that much over the next month. Too much work and I am working on a paper to publish.

Last edited by Drbio; 03-15-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
big_pth
Diamond Member

big_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to allbig_pth is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Guilty, guilty, and LOL guilty.

It need not make sense. I did what I believed was helpful to an academic pursuit. If that makes some mad here I can't do much about it but move forward. Honestly....I won't be around all that much over the next month. Too much work and I am working on a paper to publish.
So, no executive producer credit then? You have some time left before the playoffs so I recommend you getting you stuff done and getting your game...uh...font...on...
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

WELCOME BACK DOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:31 PM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. I'm not really sure what to believe here.

But I guess the first question I have to ask is how many of those 41k posts did you actually make yourself?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 PM   #7
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic

But I guess the first question I have to ask is how many of those 41k posts did you actually make yourself?
This is what I'm thinking.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

The weird thing is that I'm not sure if any of our doc scenarios in the "DrBio" thread were as crazy as the one that DrBio churned out himself here.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic

I'm not asking anyone to believe anything. That is a personal decision.

Probably about 17-20K are mine. Mostly early on but certainly not exclusive of recent posts.

I'll probably stop in tomorrow to catch up. It's late. Goodnight.

Last edited by Drbio; 03-15-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #10
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm not asking anyone to believe anything. That is a personal decision.

Probably about 17-20K are mine. Mostly early on but certainly not exclusive of recent posts.
Ok so the guy who really liked me and was repping me like mad was probably your student-research-guy.

I always felt that he was positive repping to spread the rep around enough so that he could negative rep the likes of chum and hitman. Not that I could really complain a whole lot about that though.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

someone has been watching too much Lost
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Second question for whenever you wake up - can you photoshop?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Check your pm's Fin.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 PM   #14
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Will do.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-16-2007, 12:19 AM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Good to have you back Doc, this issue is certainly confusing. I'm all for having your stay open, and I hope the person that repped me so much was actually you haha

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #16
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

So, how many posters are in one SIKE I wonder... :P

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
Old 03-16-2007, 12:23 AM   #17
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

What????????? No sir, I don't like it.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:40 AM   #18
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

This is the craziest shit I've ever read. It makes no sense. I have been here since DrBio post #1.

For one, I hardly ever send Doc a PM, yet every time I did, it managed to be the same Doc who knew me from when, knows which kids on the Baylor football squad are from my hometown, etc.

Yet this same Doc, who spent all this time entertaining himself on this board making friends before he turned into a belligerent wacko, didn't manage to notice the rampant PM abuse supposedly put on by someone else? Over long periods of time? Why would the "real" Doc tolerate the "fake" Doc(s) going apeshit so obviously?

As many "DrBio" posts as there are on this board, it was impossible for you to spend ANY time at all on the board yourself, since the wild-ass behavior you claim was done by other people practically dominated the board.

If your claim is to be true, then your surrogates would've had to absorb all previous knowledge of all happenings on this forum over the first 15k-20k posts (by my estimate) you made before you started treating people like shit on a semi-regular basis. And, if you considered it abuse, you would've had to have been blind to not be aware of it.

Whatever, dude.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:46 AM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well that is disappointing. Disappointing indeed!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:51 AM   #20
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Umm this doesn't make any sense at all.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:13 AM   #21
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
I divulged this to one mod and a couple of you over the past year and a half or so when questions arose over odd posts, inconsistent behavior etc.
One last question, who are these people that you told about this, and would they be willing to confirm?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-16-2007, 01:14 AM   #22
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

The downside is that we have missed the unique, clever, witty, nice, photoshop expert Doc!
The upside is that you never have to worry about being topped in post totals!

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:34 AM   #23
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Old 03-16-2007, 02:17 AM   #24
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Good one, Doc.

But April 1 is the date of the OTHER Phoenix game.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:54 AM   #25
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Old 03-16-2007, 03:22 AM   #26
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I have been on the Internet for over half my life and was on forums shortly. I started lurking here nearly four years ago and have been posting since we were forced to sign up to lurk.

Now.... if true, this is the weirdest post I've read anywhere...

EVER.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
Old 03-16-2007, 03:25 AM   #27
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I also feel a little violated. Like my Mavericks fan-dom has been whored out for science. Or Christianity.

IS THERE NOTHING SACRED IF WE CAN'T POST FREELY ABOUT BASKETBALL TEAMS IN CYBERSPACE??

Cool, I've scooting right along in the 7 stages. What's #4?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
Old 03-16-2007, 06:08 AM   #28
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

welcome back doc.

I feel a little violated, too. If this is true, these online communities (D-M included) deserve a proper debriefing, to see first hand how the data are presesented, if not how it was recorded and analyzed.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:51 AM   #29
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

When will I be reinserted into the Matrix again?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #30
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for what it's worth, he told me about this via PM's on the Newberg site literally hours after he was banned.

That'd be a pretty quick turnaround to dream up a story like that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #31
big_pth
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
welcome back doc.

I feel a little violated, too. If this is true, these online communities (D-M included) deserve a proper debriefing, to see first hand how the data are presesented, if not how it was recorded and analyzed.

Excellent suggestion. I would like to see that there thesis to see what kind of conclusions where drawn on things such as trolls, regulars, and the most disgusting kind of poster: Rocket's Fans.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #32
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

so, does this mean the pm you sent me asking whether you could bear my children wasn't really you?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #33
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but if it needs to be permanently banned…do it. It matters not to me.
Yep.

Nothing about d-m.com mattered to doc, did it?

I'm not concerned with doc anymore - he can suck it. But I am concerned with the moderators here. I had been wondering WHY doc was getting away with the abuse for the longest time - now I know. The community standards should have been enforced all the time - the poster posing as doc got away with a lot more than ANY other poster could have. This was in VERY poor taste. All the other posters had to listen to doc's crap (and 90% of what the poster posing as doc posted was crap) and the moderators allowed it.

And guys, there is no reason to assume that the study is over. Many times a study will include the reactions of people when they find out that they have been secretly studied.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #34
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I like Doc but there is no way I believe this. Sounds like Doc is trying to cover his butt for sounding like the bad guy in the whole chum situation.

Like someone posted, there seemed to be a fluid transition between the old doc and the new doc where both docs knew the exact same personal information about certain posters.

Also.. Why couldn't the other people just make their own account. It's not like it's hard or you have to pay money.

Honestly this story makes no sense and I'm surprised people bought it so quickly.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:28 AM   #35
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

I don't care if this true or not....

it rocks!

this is some truly bizzarro late night tv here, and if it is true...wow!
and if it is NOT true? Even more WOW!

the mental jugling and ballancing of spinning plates that have to be going on in either case are humorous to conceive of. Personally I hope that its a fraud, and the the "dark-doc" versus "light-doc" battles that have been waged have all been within one sweaty head in the corner of an empty baren room that is only iluminated by a lone computer screen. <with the requisite scrawls of meandering akilter graffitti on all the peeling walls, written in blood and feces>

"No Smeagol, Mavdog is BAD... and he would eat your liver if he could!" <<slap!>>

but like I said, in either case

this
just
rocks!

good drama!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #36
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Well, for what it's worth, he told me about this via PM's on the Newberg site literally hours after he was banned.

That'd be a pretty quick turnaround to dream up a story like that.
Well, according to the author of this thread, he was at a conference when he was banned and didn't discover it until he came back.

From an ethical standpoint, I think there has to be significant justification for a researcher to engage in deliberate deception with a test subject.

I'm pretty sure getting into a PhD program doesn't meet that criteria.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 03-16-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:48 AM   #37
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Delusions of grandeur...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #38
FINtastic
Diamond Member

"Get ya popcorn ready"

-Terrell Owens

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
This is the craziest shit I've ever read. It makes no sense. I have been here since DrBio post #1.

For one, I hardly ever send Doc a PM, yet every time I did, it managed to be the same Doc who knew me from when, knows which kids on the Baylor football squad are from my hometown, etc.

Yet this same Doc, who spent all this time entertaining himself on this board making friends before he turned into a belligerent wacko, didn't manage to notice the rampant PM abuse supposedly put on by someone else? Over long periods of time? Why would the "real" Doc tolerate the "fake" Doc(s) going apeshit so obviously?

As many "DrBio" posts as there are on this board, it was impossible for you to spend ANY time at all on the board yourself, since the wild-ass behavior you claim was done by other people practically dominated the board.

If your claim is to be true, then your surrogates would've had to absorb all previous knowledge of all happenings on this forum over the first 15k-20k posts (by my estimate) you made before you started treating people like shit on a semi-regular basis. And, if you considered it abuse, you would've had to have been blind to not be aware of it.

Whatever, dude.
Again, I'm not asking anyone to believe anything. Make up your own minds. As for Rhylan, I have interacted with him for years, even met him personally. He comes from a town that produced two of my favorite footballers. I was concerned for him (his family) when those tornados and super storms hit years ago. All of that stuff was me. I fully expected this response and don't expect absolution, understanding or anything else. It was simply time to clear the air.

Also, I am not claiming to be a saint. I have personally engaged in pissing matches here. No doubt about it. However, many of the posts that have been made I cannot claim and to behonest had a hard time keeping up with. There were several times when I received pm's from a "I just told you that" confused member. A lot of times I probably did not respond either adequately or at all. Keeping up with every line of thought here is difficult at best. Some of the incoming angered pm's were ignored. Most outgoing were mine I am sure. I don't have a historical pm record to know. I do know that some were sent that were not.

Just time to clear the air.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #40
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
Well that is disappointing. Disappointing indeed!
Sorry. Check your pm's.
Closed Thread

Tags
classic threads